Nexis

Default Apples, apples, oh and apples.....and pears

Today I grabbed my daughter and headed out in the convertible for a nice
drive as far away from the city as I could go and still get back in time to
tuck her in on a school night. Which is to say, we popped the top and headed
for Julian, where apple season has officially kicked off. Calico Ranch was
closed, but Meyers orchard was in full swing, and wow did they have some
gorgeous apples and pears. I wound up with Earligolds, Jonagolds, Jonathans,
and a few pounds of crab apples for my mom to make jelly. They also had
Bartlett pears, red pears, and Asian pears, so I bought 5 lbs of pears too.
Rounded things out with some cucumbers, spicy garlic olives, pimento olives,
fresh roasted peanuts, and a coupla pounds of pecans (a favorite of my
parents).

Loaded everything up in the car and it was mere minutes from there to
Julian. Rather than stick to main street we went off down farmers road to a
pick your own orchard where they have all pesticide free organic fruits and
veggies. And an art gallery. Odd combination, but it works. More Jonathans
there, as well as some red delicious. My daughter had a blast picking those,
since the branches were within her reach, and they're small, so perfect for
her lunch. They had a giant blackberry bush that had a few berries left too.
Small, but oh so tasty.

In town, it was heritage days, so there were some pretty awesome costumes to
be seen, and a bluegrass festival to boot. After lunch, we took a nice
peaceful break at the Julian Pie Shop, which I like because they have
Mountain Berry Apple pie, and a big porch swing out back.

When all was said and done, we ended up with about 4 of the 5 pound bags of
apples and 5 pounds of pears. I know I'll be making apple butter, since I've
been hounded for months....but I thought I'd get some ideas here for other,
new things to try. So....any ideas?? ;-)

kimberly

SPOONS

Sounds like you & your daughter had a really good time. I plan on taking my
kids apple picking too...it'll be a first for us. The first thing that
comes to mind is baked apples, simple but delicious.
Apple pie
Apple crisp
pear tart

Take care,
SPOONS

"Nexis" > wrote in message
> Today I grabbed my daughter and headed out in the convertible for a nice
> drive as far away from the city as I could go and still get back in time
> tuck her in on a school night. Which is to say, we popped the top and
> headed
> for Julian, where apple season has officially kicked off. Calico Ranch was
> closed, but Meyers orchard was in full swing, and wow did they have some
> gorgeous apples and pears. I wound up with Earligolds, Jonagolds,
> Jonathans,
> and a few pounds of crab apples for my mom to make jelly. They also had
> Bartlett pears, red pears, and Asian pears, so I bought 5 lbs of pears
> too.
> Rounded things out with some cucumbers, spicy garlic olives, pimento
> olives,
> fresh roasted peanuts, and a coupla pounds of pecans (a favorite of my
> parents).
>
> Loaded everything up in the car and it was mere minutes from there to
> Julian. Rather than stick to main street we went off down farmers road to
> pick your own orchard where they have all pesticide free organic fruits
> and
> veggies. And an art gallery. Odd combination, but it works. More Jonathans
> there, as well as some red delicious. My daughter had a blast picking
> those,
> since the branches were within her reach, and they're small, so perfect
> for
> her lunch. They had a giant blackberry bush that had a few berries left
> too.
> Small, but oh so tasty.
>
> In town, it was heritage days, so there were some pretty awesome costumes
> be seen, and a bluegrass festival to boot. After lunch, we took a nice
> peaceful break at the Julian Pie Shop, which I like because they have
> Mountain Berry Apple pie, and a big porch swing out back.
>
> When all was said and done, we ended up with about 4 of the 5 pound bags
> of
> apples and 5 pounds of pears. I know I'll be making apple butter, since
> I've
> been hounded for months....but I thought I'd get some ideas here for
> other,
> new things to try. So....any ideas?? ;-)
>

> kimberly

SPOONS

"Nexis" > wrote in message
> Today I grabbed my daughter and headed out in the convertible for a nice
> drive as far away from the city as I could go and still get back in time
> tuck her in on a school night. Which is to say, we popped the top and
> headed
> for Julian, where apple season has officially kicked off. Calico Ranch was
> closed, but Meyers orchard was in full swing, and wow did they have some
> gorgeous apples and pears. I wound up with Earligolds, Jonagolds,
> Jonathans,
> and a few pounds of crab apples for my mom to make jelly. They also had
> Bartlett pears, red pears, and Asian pears, so I bought 5 lbs of pears
> too.
> Rounded things out with some cucumbers, spicy garlic olives, pimento
> olives,
> fresh roasted peanuts, and a coupla pounds of pecans (a favorite of my
> parents).
>
> Loaded everything up in the car and it was mere minutes from there to
> Julian. Rather than stick to main street we went off down farmers road to
> pick your own orchard where they have all pesticide free organic fruits
> and
> veggies. And an art gallery. Odd combination, but it works. More Jonathans
> there, as well as some red delicious. My daughter had a blast picking
> those,
> since the branches were within her reach, and they're small, so perfect
> for
> her lunch. They had a giant blackberry bush that had a few berries left
> too.
> Small, but oh so tasty.
>
> In town, it was heritage days, so there were some pretty awesome costumes
> be seen, and a bluegrass festival to boot. After lunch, we took a nice
> peaceful break at the Julian Pie Shop, which I like because they have
> Mountain Berry Apple pie, and a big porch swing out back.
>
> When all was said and done, we ended up with about 4 of the 5 pound bags
> of
> apples and 5 pounds of pears. I know I'll be making apple butter, since
> I've
> been hounded for months....but I thought I'd get some ideas here for
> other,
> new things to try. So....any ideas?? ;-)
>

> kimberly

Baldin Pramer

Nexis wrote:

> I know I'll be making apple butter, since I've
> been hounded for months....but I thought I'd get some ideas here for other,
> new things to try. So....any ideas?? ;-)

I like making apple chutney to serve with pork and chicken. And for
dessert? Pears poached in white zinfandel then drizzled with the
reduction. What else can you do with white zinfandel?

--
Sir Baldin Pramer, R.P.A.

"Tell the Queen I will call her back as soon as I have finished my tea."
Baldin Pramer

Nexis wrote:

> I know I'll be making apple butter, since I've
> been hounded for months....but I thought I'd get some ideas here for other,
> new things to try. So....any ideas?? ;-)

I like making apple chutney to serve with pork and chicken. And for
dessert? Pears poached in white zinfandel then drizzled with the
reduction. What else can you do with white zinfandel?

--
Sir Baldin Pramer, R.P.A.

"Tell the Queen I will call her back as soon as I have finished my tea."

Baldin Pramer

Nexis wrote:

> I know I'll be making apple butter, since I've
> been hounded for months....but I thought I'd get some ideas here for other,
> new things to try. So....any ideas?? ;-)

I like making apple chutney to serve with pork and chicken. And for
dessert? Pears poached in white zinfandel then drizzled with the
reduction. What else can you do with white zinfandel?

--
Sir Baldin Pramer, R.P.A.

"Tell the Queen I will call her back as soon as I have finished my tea."
zxcvbob

Baldin Pramer wrote:
> ...What else can you do with white zinfandel?

You mean besides mixing it with peppermint schnapps? (DW likes white
zin with peach schnapps, but I think peppermist is more appropriate)

Bob
zxcvbob

Baldin Pramer wrote:
> ...What else can you do with white zinfandel?

You mean besides mixing it with peppermint schnapps? (DW likes white
zin with peach schnapps, but I think peppermist is more appropriate)

Bob
zxcvbob

Baldin Pramer wrote:
> ...What else can you do with white zinfandel?

You mean besides mixing it with peppermint schnapps? (DW likes white
zin with peach schnapps, but I think peppermist is more appropriate)

Bob
sf

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:21:51 -0500, zxcvbob
> wrote:

> Baldin Pramer wrote:
> > ...What else can you do with white zinfandel?
> >

> You mean besides mixing it with peppermint schnapps? (DW likes white
> zin with peach schnapps, but I think peppermist is more appropriate)

<gag>

sf

sf

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:47:17 -0600, Baldin Pramer
> wrote:

> I like making apple chutney to serve with pork and chicken. And for
> dessert? Pears poached in white zinfandel then drizzled with the
> reduction. What else can you do with white zinfandel?

So, it's NOT the apples and pears that you have too much of?

sf
Sam D.

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> When all was said and done, we ended up with about 4 of the 5 pound

bags of
> apples and 5 pounds of pears. I know I'll be making apple butter,

since I've
> been hounded for months....but I thought I'd get some ideas here for

other,
> new things to try. So....any ideas?? ;-)

Baked apples, Tarte Tatin, Dutch apple pie, sour cream apple pie

I cut up a few apples, add a little sugar and microwave them. Then I
keep them on hand in the fridge to add to hot cereals like steel-cut
oats or multi grains. They're also good added to bread pudding.

It's a bit early now, but I make a relish of cranberries, apples and
orange peel to serve with Thanksgiving dinner.

Sam D.

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> When all was said and done, we ended up with about 4 of the 5 pound

bags of
> apples and 5 pounds of pears. I know I'll be making apple butter,

since I've
> been hounded for months....but I thought I'd get some ideas here for

other,
> new things to try. So....any ideas?? ;-)

Baked apples, Tarte Tatin, Dutch apple pie, sour cream apple pie

I cut up a few apples, add a little sugar and microwave them. Then I
keep them on hand in the fridge to add to hot cereals like steel-cut
oats or multi grains. They're also good added to bread pudding.

It's a bit early now, but I make a relish of cranberries, apples and
orange peel to serve with Thanksgiving dinner.

N. Thornton

"Sam D." > wrote in message >...
> "Nexis" > wrote in message
> >
> > When all was said and done, we ended up with about 4 of the 5 pound

> bags of
> > apples and 5 pounds of pears. I know I'll be making apple butter,

> since I've
> > been hounded for months....but I thought I'd get some ideas here for

> other,
> > new things to try. So....any ideas?? ;-)

Apple pie is the best! I make about 60 pie servings in one shot,
should use up a fair few apples.
N. Thornton

"Sam D." > wrote in message >...
> "Nexis" > wrote in message
> >
> > When all was said and done, we ended up with about 4 of the 5 pound

> bags of
> > apples and 5 pounds of pears. I know I'll be making apple butter,

> since I've
> > been hounded for months....but I thought I'd get some ideas here for

> other,
> > new things to try. So....any ideas?? ;-)

Apple pie is the best! I make about 60 pie servings in one shot,
should use up a fair few apples.

Sam D.

"N. Thornton" > wrote in message
om...
> "Sam D." > wrote in message

> > "Nexis" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > When all was said and done, we ended up with about 4 of the 5

pound
> > bags of
> > > apples and 5 pounds of pears. I know I'll be making apple

butter,
> > since I've
> > > been hounded for months....but I thought I'd get some ideas here

for
> > other,
> > > new things to try. So....any ideas?? ;-)

> Apple pie is the best! I make about 60 pie servings in one shot,
> should use up a fair few apples.

There is a delicious sounding recipe in the NY Times this week.
Someone on another forum used it and said it was really good. It
requires 5 apples.

Balzano Apple Cake
NY Times, September 22, 2004

Time: 1 1/4 hours Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

1 stick butter (4 ounces), plus more for greasing pan
1/2 cup flour, plus more for pan
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean
5 Granny Smith apples
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk at room temperature
Powdered sugar.

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 8-inch-square pan with foil, then
smear with thick layer of butter. Dust with flour; turn pan over, and
tap lightly to remove excess flour.

2. Melt butter in small saucepan. Set aside. Beat together eggs and
half of sugar in a bowl. Continue to beat while slowly adding
remaining sugar until thick; it should form a ribbon when dropped from
spoon.

3. Split vanilla bean in two lengthwise. Scrape seeds into the
egg-sugar batter and add pod to melted butter.

4. Peel, quarter and core apples, then trim ends and slice thinly.

5. Remove vanilla pod from butter and stir butter into sugar-egg
batter. Combine 1/2 cup flour and baking powder, then stir it into
batter alternately with milk. Stir in apples, coating every piece with
batter. Pour batter into pan, using fingers to pat top evenly.

6. Bake for 25 minutes, then rotate the pan; bake for about 25 minutes
more, until cake pulls away from pan and is brown on top; a
thin-bladed knife inserted into the center will come out clean when it
is done. Cool 30 minutes, then cut lengthwise and sprinkle slices with
powdered sugar.