Old 20-09-2004, 06:36 AM
Nexis

Default Apples, apples, oh and apples.....and pears

Today I grabbed my daughter and headed out in the convertible for a nice
drive as far away from the city as I could go and still get back in time to
tuck her in on a school night. Which is to say, we popped the top and headed
for Julian, where apple season has officially kicked off. Calico Ranch was
closed, but Meyers orchard was in full swing, and wow did they have some
gorgeous apples and pears. I wound up with Earligolds, Jonagolds, Jonathans,
and a few pounds of crab apples for my mom to make jelly. They also had
Bartlett pears, red pears, and Asian pears, so I bought 5 lbs of pears too.
Rounded things out with some cucumbers, spicy garlic olives, pimento olives,
fresh roasted peanuts, and a coupla pounds of pecans (a favorite of my
parents).

Loaded everything up in the car and it was mere minutes from there to
Julian. Rather than stick to main street we went off down farmers road to a
pick your own orchard where they have all pesticide free organic fruits and
veggies. And an art gallery. Odd combination, but it works. More Jonathans
there, as well as some red delicious. My daughter had a blast picking those,
since the branches were within her reach, and they're small, so perfect for
her lunch. They had a giant blackberry bush that had a few berries left too.
Small, but oh so tasty.

In town, it was heritage days, so there were some pretty awesome costumes to
be seen, and a bluegrass festival to boot. After lunch, we took a nice
peaceful break at the Julian Pie Shop, which I like because they have
Mountain Berry Apple pie, and a big porch swing out back.

When all was said and done, we ended up with about 4 of the 5 pound bags of
apples and 5 pounds of pears. I know I'll be making apple butter, since I've
been hounded for months....but I thought I'd get some ideas here for other,
new things to try. So....any ideas?? ;-)

kimberly

Old 20-09-2004, 01:29 PM
SPOONS

Sounds like you & your daughter had a really good time. I plan on taking my
kids apple picking too...it'll be a first for us. The first thing that
comes to mind is baked apples, simple but delicious.
Apple pie
Apple crisp
pear tart

Take care,
SPOONS

news:q%[email protected]

Old 20-09-2004, 01:29 PM
SPOONS

Sounds like you & your daughter had a really good time. I plan on taking my
kids apple picking too...it'll be a first for us. The first thing that
comes to mind is baked apples, simple but delicious.
Apple pie
Apple crisp
pear tart

Take care,
SPOONS

news:q%[email protected]

Old 21-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Baldin Pramer

Nexis wrote:

I know I'll be making apple butter, since I've
been hounded for months....but I thought I'd get some ideas here for other,
new things to try. So....any ideas?? ;-)

I like making apple chutney to serve with pork and chicken. And for
dessert? Pears poached in white zinfandel then drizzled with the
reduction. What else can you do with white zinfandel?

--
Sir Baldin Pramer, R.P.A.

"Tell the Queen I will call her back as soon as I have finished my tea."

Old 21-09-2004, 05:21 PM
zxcvbob

Baldin Pramer wrote:
...What else can you do with white zinfandel?

You mean besides mixing it with peppermint schnapps? (DW likes white
zin with peach schnapps, but I think peppermist is more appropriate)

Bob

Old 22-09-2004, 06:00 AM
sf

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:21:51 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

Baldin Pramer wrote:
...What else can you do with white zinfandel?

You mean besides mixing it with peppermint schnapps? (DW likes white
zin with peach schnapps, but I think peppermist is more appropriate)

gag

sf

Old 22-09-2004, 06:00 AM
sf

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:47:17 -0600, Baldin Pramer
wrote:

I like making apple chutney to serve with pork and chicken. And for
dessert? Pears poached in white zinfandel then drizzled with the
reduction. What else can you do with white zinfandel?

So, it's NOT the apples and pears that you have too much of?

sf
Old 22-09-2004, 08:28 AM
Sam D.

"Nexis" wrote in message
news:q%[email protected]

When all was said and done, we ended up with about 4 of the 5 pound

bags of
apples and 5 pounds of pears. I know I'll be making apple butter,

since I've
been hounded for months....but I thought I'd get some ideas here for

other,
new things to try. So....any ideas?? ;-)

Baked apples, Tarte Tatin, Dutch apple pie, sour cream apple pie

I cut up a few apples, add a little sugar and microwave them. Then I
keep them on hand in the fridge to add to hot cereals like steel-cut
oats or multi grains. They're also good added to bread pudding.

It's a bit early now, but I make a relish of cranberries, apples and
orange peel to serve with Thanksgiving dinner.

Old 22-09-2004, 08:28 AM
Sam D.

news:q%[email protected]

Old 22-09-2004, 10:14 PM
N. Thornton

"Sam D." wrote in message ...
"Nexis" wrote in message
news:q%[email protected]

When all was said and done, we ended up with about 4 of the 5 pound

bags of
apples and 5 pounds of pears. I know I'll be making apple butter,

since I've
been hounded for months....but I thought I'd get some ideas here for

other,
new things to try. So....any ideas?? ;-)

Apple pie is the best! I make about 60 pie servings in one shot,
should use up a fair few apples.
Old 22-09-2004, 10:14 PM
N. Thornton

news:q%[email protected]