Posted to rec.food.preserving
Marilyn[_3_] Marilyn[_3_] is offline

Default Apples again

"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message

> "Dave Balderstone" > wrote in message
> news:240120101649008104%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
>> In article >, The Cook
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> The Red Rome apples are on sale again. This time $1 for a 3 pound
>>> bag. The best I had done before was $5 for 2 bags. I bought 7 bags
>>> and will start making more applesauce.

>> I've never seen Red Rome here in Canada. Where are they grown?
>>
>> The Ambrosias are on sale here right now, but they's an eatin' apple.
>> And damned good, too.

> I second that!!!

When I was a kid, my grandpa would come to visit us from Eastern Washington
in the fall (I grew up in Seattle) and he would always bring us a box or two
of Rome Beauties. My parents would put the box out in the shed in the back
yard with an old quilt wrapped around the apples. They'd keep all winter
that way. Such good apples. Everyone thinks of red delicious apples when
they think of Washington State apples, but I've always found them to be
rather bland and mealy. Romes have a nice bite. Plus, the ones my grandpa
would bring were from an orchard where he knew the owner and the apples were
not waxed like the ones in the supermarket.

Now, though, I hardly ever see Romes in the stores. So many other varieties
on the market now, the Fujis and Galas, etc.

I'm going to keep my eye out this year in case the co-op gets any. Right
now, the co-op is offering ground beef, 7% fat, for $2.30 a pound. I think
that beats Costco. Sold in 5-lb increments.

--
-Marilyn