Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default apples

All I see in the stores here anymore is Gala, Fuji, Red Delicious and Granny
Smith... What happened to Macintosh and Jonathan? I miss Macs. I'd rather
have a bruised Mac than a "ripe" Red "Delicious"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Somebody" > wrote in message
> All I see in the stores here anymore is Gala, Fuji, Red Delicious and
> Granny Smith... What happened to Macintosh and Jonathan? I miss Macs.
> I'd rather have a bruised Mac than a "ripe" Red "Delicious"

Macs are harder, like "cooking apples". Red Delicious are "eating apples".

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:29:42 -0400, "Somebody" >
wrote:

>All I see in the stores here anymore is Gala, Fuji, Red Delicious and Granny
>Smith... What happened to Macintosh and Jonathan? I miss Macs. I'd rather
>have a bruised Mac than a "ripe" Red "Delicious"

I think stores are reluctant to sell lesser known varieties.
Do apples grow near where you live? If so, go to the orchard and
choose from a dozen varieties. I like Mac, Cortland, and Baldwin.

Many varieties are grown though
http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/a
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." > wrote in message
> "Somebody" > wrote in message
>> All I see in the stores here anymore is Gala, Fuji, Red Delicious and
>> Granny Smith... What happened to Macintosh and Jonathan? I miss Macs.
>> I'd rather have a bruised Mac than a "ripe" Red "Delicious"

> Macs are harder, like "cooking apples". Red Delicious are "eating apples".

Red "delicious" are hard pieces of carboard.

Give me a Mac anyday, especially if it's raining.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:29:42 -0400, "Somebody" >
> wrote:
>
>>All I see in the stores here anymore is Gala, Fuji, Red Delicious and
>>Granny
>>Smith... What happened to Macintosh and Jonathan? I miss Macs. I'd
>>rather
>>have a bruised Mac than a "ripe" Red "Delicious"
>>

> I think stores are reluctant to sell lesser known varieties.
> Do apples grow near where you live? If so, go to the orchard and
> choose from a dozen varieties. I like Mac, Cortland, and Baldwin.
>
> Many varieties are grown though
> http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/a

I need to go to ValuMarket. It's a bit farther, but I've seen Macs and
others there... Prices are higher, but worth it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:29:42 -0400, "Somebody" >
> wrote:
>
>>All I see in the stores here anymore is Gala, Fuji, Red Delicious and
>>Granny
>>Smith... What happened to Macintosh and Jonathan? I miss Macs. I'd
>>rather
>>have a bruised Mac than a "ripe" Red "Delicious"
>>

> I think stores are reluctant to sell lesser known varieties.
> Do apples grow near where you live? If so, go to the orchard and
> choose from a dozen varieties. I like Mac, Cortland, and Baldwin.
>
> Many varieties are grown though
> http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/a

Most everyone I know will eat a red delicious apple. But some won't eat any
other kind. Also some apples don't transport as well or keep as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 19, 11:44*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> > On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:29:42 -0400, "Somebody" >
> > wrote:

> >>All I see in the stores here anymore is Gala, Fuji, Red Delicious and
> >>Granny
> >>Smith... What happened to Macintosh and Jonathan? *I miss Macs. *I'd
> >>rather
> >>have a bruised Mac than a "ripe" Red "Delicious"

> > I think stores are reluctant to sell lesser known varieties.
> > Do apples grow near where you live? *If so, go to *the orchard and
> > choose from a dozen varieties. *I like Mac, Cortland, and Baldwin.

> > Many varieties are grown though
> >http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/a

> Most everyone I know will eat a red delicious apple. *But some won't eat any
> other kind. *Also some apples don't transport as well or keep as well.- Hide quoted text -

I don't like Red Delicious at all. They're tasteless. My personal
favorite for eating out of hand are Jonathans. McIntosh make the best
applesauce. I like Galas for stewed apples. I use mostly Granny
Smith's in pies because they hold together but I like to throw in some
other kind as well. The worst apple pie I ever had was made with
Golden Delicious apples.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 19, 8:29*pm, "Somebody" > wrote:
> All I see in the stores here anymore is Gala, Fuji, Red Delicious and Granny
> Smith... What happened to Macintosh and Jonathan? *I miss Macs. *I'd rather
> have a bruised Mac than a "ripe" Red "Delicious"

They've had Jonathans on sale here this past week. 3lb. bag/ $3.50
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

They've had Jonathans on sale here this past week. 3lb. bag/ $3.50

---

you are making me mad... and jealous.

can you email me a couple? I want to eat healthier and the grocer is making
it difficult... I had Penn Station fries for lunch today, but she was over.
And tbh, I love their fries too... Split a large order, and I had an
enormous amount.

That price is about what a bag goes for here. I got a bag of gala the other
day out of anger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:29:42 -0400, Somebody wrote:

> All I see in the stores here anymore is Gala, Fuji, Red Delicious and
> Granny Smith... What happened to Macintosh and Jonathan? I miss Macs.
> I'd rather have a bruised Mac than a "ripe" Red "Delicious"

Have you tried Jazz / Scifresh apples? I discovered them last year.
They are quite good -- very crispy and juicy. Last year's crop tasted
better, though.

http://www.jazzapple.com/
http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/j

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message

> Have you tried Jazz / Scifresh apples? I discovered them last year.
> They are quite good -- very crispy and juicy. Last year's crop tasted
> better, though.

I saw Jazz at Kroger... But I want Macintosh or at least Jonathans... Jazz
seemed not much different than Gala. Maybe I'm wrong.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 19, 5:29*pm, "Somebody" > wrote:
> All I see in the stores here anymore is Gala, Fuji, Red Delicious and Granny
> Smith... What happened to Macintosh and Jonathan? *I miss Macs. *I'd rather
> have a bruised Mac than a "ripe" Red "Delicious"

Winesaps are my fav but can't get them in my area.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo" > wrote in message

Winesaps are my fav but can't get them in my area.

---
where did you get them in your past life?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:
> All I see in the stores here anymore is Gala, Fuji, Red Delicious and Granny
> Smith... What happened to Macintosh and Jonathan? I miss Macs. I'd rather
> have a bruised Mac than a "ripe" Red "Delicious"

Do you have access to any farmstands? I am passing many here in
Massachusetts that have many older varieties, and I even saw a
place with heirloom apples! I need to explore that one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message

> Do you have access to any farmstands? I am passing many here in
> Massachusetts that have many older varieties, and I even saw a place with
> heirloom apples! I need to explore that one.

there is a fruit stand down the street that just opened back up. I'll try
there tomorrow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Somebody wrote:
>> All I see in the stores here anymore is Gala, Fuji, Red Delicious and
>> Granny Smith... What happened to Macintosh and Jonathan? I miss Macs.
>> I'd rather have a bruised Mac than a "ripe" Red "Delicious"

> Do you have access to any farmstands? I am passing many here in
> Massachusetts that have many older varieties, and I even saw a place with
> heirloom apples! I need to explore that one.

That's a possibility. I don't mind driving to the orchards, but my relatives
can be pretty demanding with my apple delivery services.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

bad apples RichD General Cooking 0 21-04-2012 12:18 AM
bad apples RichD General Cooking 4 10-04-2012 03:14 AM
Apples The Cook General Cooking 7 25-10-2006 06:11 PM
Red apples, rosy apples... Isaac Wingfield General Cooking 2 15-11-2004 06:24 AM
Apples, apples, oh and apples.....and pears Nexis General Cooking 15 23-09-2004 05:00 PM