Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Apples

My son and DIL were visiting this weekend and had 3 things they wanted
to do -- see the leaves, buy some apples, and go to a winery. We
started out on the Blue Ridge Parkway to see the leaves which were
beautiful this year. After about 30 miles on the Parkway we headed
down to North Wilkesboro to find the apple orchards. We ended up at a
roadside apple market and bought a bushel of Red Romes for $12.00.
These are #1 apples.

After lunch at an Amish deli/bakery we came home and the kids went to
the winery that is about 3 miles from the house. I could not believe
that we were about to do all those things in one day.

I found out an interesting fact about keeping apples. In the cold
lockers where they are kept, the temperature is 28° F. They do not
freeze at that temperature, but do freeze when they are subjected to a
temperature of 26° F for 5 hours.

Looks like I am going to be busy making apple sauce from the 1/2
bushel of the apples that was left here, muscadine juice (and maybe
some jelly) from the 30 pounds of grapes DH and I picked this
afternoon. And then the persimmons when they get ripe. I hope they
take their time.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook said...

> My son and DIL were visiting this weekend and had 3 things they wanted
> to do -- see the leaves, buy some apples, and go to a winery. We
> started out on the Blue Ridge Parkway to see the leaves which were
> beautiful this year. After about 30 miles on the Parkway we headed
> down to North Wilkesboro to find the apple orchards. We ended up at a
> roadside apple market and bought a bushel of Red Romes for $12.00.
> These are #1 apples.
>
> After lunch at an Amish deli/bakery we came home and the kids went to
> the winery that is about 3 miles from the house. I could not believe
> that we were about to do all those things in one day.
>
> I found out an interesting fact about keeping apples. In the cold
> lockers where they are kept, the temperature is 28° F. They do not
> freeze at that temperature, but do freeze when they are subjected to a
> temperature of 26° F for 5 hours.
>
> Looks like I am going to be busy making apple sauce from the 1/2
> bushel of the apples that was left here, muscadine juice (and maybe
> some jelly) from the 30 pounds of grapes DH and I picked this
> afternoon. And then the persimmons when they get ripe. I hope they
> take their time.

Susan,

Everone needs days like that! Congrats on the harvest!!!

I'm sure an apple could be finely diced and find its way into a couple
apple pancakes!?? Maybe drowned in apple butter!??

All the best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> Looks like I am going to be busy making apple sauce from the 1/2
> bushel of the apples that was left here, muscadine juice (and maybe
> some jelly) from the 30 pounds of grapes DH and I picked this
> afternoon. And then the persimmons when they get ripe. I hope they
> take their time.
> --
> Susan N.

Wow, it's late for muscadine grapes!
Where do you live? Ours are ready the first part of August and are all
gone by now.

Mom made the most divine jelly with them. ;-d
Be sure to wear gloves during processing. I've found them to be very
irritating to the skin, even when just picking them.

There is always wine making too.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> The Cook > wrote:
>
> > Looks like I am going to be busy making apple sauce from the 1/2
> > bushel of the apples that was left here, muscadine juice (and maybe
> > some jelly) from the 30 pounds of grapes DH and I picked this
> > afternoon. And then the persimmons when they get ripe. I hope they
> > take their time.
> > --
> > Susan N.

> Wow, it's late for muscadine grapes!
> Where do you live? Ours are ready the first part of August and are all
> gone by now.

It's muscadene season around here - southeastern virginia and northern
north carolina. you can go to the orchards to pick your own.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 18:52:39 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>In article >,
> The Cook > wrote:
>
>> Looks like I am going to be busy making apple sauce from the 1/2
>> bushel of the apples that was left here, muscadine juice (and maybe
>> some jelly) from the 30 pounds of grapes DH and I picked this
>> afternoon. And then the persimmons when they get ripe. I hope they
>> take their time.
>> --
>> Susan N.

>Wow, it's late for muscadine grapes!
>Where do you live? Ours are ready the first part of August and are all
>gone by now.
>
>Mom made the most divine jelly with them. ;-d
>Be sure to wear gloves during processing. I've found them to be very
>irritating to the skin, even when just picking them.
>
>There is always wine making too.

I live in western NC, at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
This is about the right time for muscadines around here. The skins do
not bother me. The only irritation I got is from the yellow jacket
sting on my hand. We did clean the vines. There may be a handful
left to eat as we walk around.

I have some juice in the freezer from the first batch we picked.
Enough for 2 batches of jelly. I also canned a bunch of juice.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Jude" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > The Cook > wrote:
> >
> > > Looks like I am going to be busy making apple sauce from the 1/2
> > > bushel of the apples that was left here, muscadine juice (and maybe
> > > some jelly) from the 30 pounds of grapes DH and I picked this
> > > afternoon. And then the persimmons when they get ripe. I hope they
> > > take their time.
> > > --
> > > Susan N.

> > Wow, it's late for muscadine grapes!
> > Where do you live? Ours are ready the first part of August and are all
> > gone by now.

> It's muscadene season around here - southeastern virginia and northern
> north carolina. you can go to the orchards to pick your own.

I have them growing on the fence in my back yard....... ;-)

Good privacy screening.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> >Mom made the most divine jelly with them. ;-d
> >Be sure to wear gloves during processing. I've found them to be very
> >irritating to the skin, even when just picking them.
> >
> >There is always wine making too.

> I live in western NC, at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
> This is about the right time for muscadines around here. The skins do
> not bother me. The only irritation I got is from the yellow jacket
> sting on my hand. We did clean the vines. There may be a handful
> left to eat as we walk around.

They also grow wild around here. Like I said in a previous post, I
planted them on my fence line as a privacy barrier. I don't always
harvest the grapes.....

They tend to take over as they are a local "native" plant.

> I have some juice in the freezer from the first batch we picked.
> Enough for 2 batches of jelly. I also canned a bunch of juice.
> --
> Susan N.

I'm thinking about making wine next year if I can get a good yield.

The wild vines around here are also loaded with spiders, and I have to
watch for snakes.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jay > wrote:

> > I have them growing on the fence in my back yard....... ;-)
> >
> > Good privacy screening.

> Do the deer like those vines? I tried to get some honey suckle going..
> deer ate 'em. They leave the mature growth alone but eat the new growth
> faster than the plant can produce.

There is a small herd of deer around here. And no, they do not eat the
grape vines. Note tho' that these WILL take over without judicious
pruning. ;-)

Hardier than honeysuckle too, but while honeysuckle is an evergreen, the
grape vines lose their leaves over the winter. I still like them tho'.

Lantana is another good landscaping plant that the deer don't eat, along
with Cannas, Sage, Thyme, Rosemary and Mexican Oregano.

Mexican Oregano makes a very nice bush and blooms little trumpet shaped
lavender flowers all year long. Culinary use is similar to Marjoram.

Hope this helps? :-)

The only thing that keeps deer away from the rest of the garden is a
fenced area patrolled by dogs.....
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

apples Somebody General Cooking 15 25-09-2012 09:50 PM
bad apples RichD General Cooking 0 21-04-2012 12:18 AM
bad apples RichD General Cooking 4 10-04-2012 03:14 AM
Red apples, rosy apples... Isaac Wingfield General Cooking 2 15-11-2004 07:24 AM
Apples, apples, oh and apples.....and pears Nexis General Cooking 15 23-09-2004 05:00 PM