Old 03-08-2009, 03:35 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Steam juicers

Have been looking at stove top steam juicers. Seems there are at least
three brands out there that are stainless steel. Of course the costly
Mehu-Liisa, (replacement for the Mehu-Maija) top of the line at around
$200.00. Then there's the Victorio model that looks like the Mehu, at
roughly $135.00. Lastly there's the Cook N Home 9.5 quart model (looks
exactly like the Victorio one) at about $99.00. Looking at the
schematics of all three they appear to be made almost exactly the same.
It's possible there is a difference in the gauge of the stainless steel.
The Cook N Home has a clad bottom for even heat distribution, don't know
about the others as that wasn't mentioned.

Any opinions out there?

Old 03-08-2009, 03:53 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
Have been looking at stove top steam juicers. Seems there are at least
three brands out there that are stainless steel. Of course the costly
Mehu-Liisa, (replacement for the Mehu-Maija) top of the line at around
$200.00. Then there's the Victorio model that looks like the Mehu, at
roughly $135.00. Lastly there's the Cook N Home 9.5 quart model (looks
exactly like the Victorio one) at about $99.00. Looking at the
schematics of all three they appear to be made almost exactly the same.
It's possible there is a difference in the gauge of the stainless steel.
The Cook N Home has a clad bottom for even heat distribution, don't know
about the others as that wasn't mentioned.

Any opinions out there?

I have a Mehu-Liisa or Mehu-Maija, not sure which. My opinion is it
makes watery-tasting juice (maybe I just never got the knack for it.) I
get better extraction by chopping the fruit and simmering in water and
doin' that jelly bag thing.

I bet it makes a great tamale cooker tho'. I'll have to try that this
winter -- just a few weeks away... :-)

Bob

Old 03-08-2009, 04:47 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
[...]

I've got one from 30 years ago made of aluminum. Sounded like a nice
idea to take hot juice and can right away. But it is really distilled
so no fiber at all and I used it once. ;((

Not rusting just languishing in my basement.

Bill juice best fresh for sure.

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 03-08-2009, 06:51 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 09:35:32 -0500, George Shirley
wrote:

Have been looking at stove top steam juicers. Seems there are at least
three brands out there that are stainless steel. Of course the costly
Mehu-Liisa, (replacement for the Mehu-Maija) top of the line at around
$200.00. Then there's the Victorio model that looks like the Mehu, at
roughly $135.00. Lastly there's the Cook N Home 9.5 quart model (looks
exactly like the Victorio one) at about $99.00. Looking at the
schematics of all three they appear to be made almost exactly the same.
It's possible there is a difference in the gauge of the stainless steel.
The Cook N Home has a clad bottom for even heat distribution, don't know
about the others as that wasn't mentioned.

Any opinions out there?

George,

We have a Mehu. Supposedly, the Mehu-Maija was aluminum and the
Mehu-Liisa is stainless steel. Ours is definitely stainless steel but,
must have been purchased during the transition period when they wanted
to use up the Maija boxes. The box says Mehu-Maija but, it also says
stainless steel. The 'stainless steel' has probably been stamped on as
it's in block letters and different coloured ink. So, I guess we have
a Liisa that came in a Maija box.
Back to your question. We love ours, and use it every season for
various berries, Dolgo crabapples, rhubarb, etc.. The juice it
produces makes beautiful jelly, in clarity and colour as well as
flavour.
There was some concern expressed in this group a few years ago about
steam juicers making watery juice because of condensation so I did a
little experiment. I filled the pan with water, left the fruit basket
empty and ran the unit at a good brisk boil for at least an hour, then
measured the amount of condensate. I don't remember how much I
collected but, I do know it would be inconsequential in a batch of
jelly. I'd be willing to bet that one would get more water in the
final juice by simmering and then using a jelly bag. We would never
give up our Mehu in favour of the simmer/jelly bag routine.
One anecdotal warning I will give you in case you get one.
I wanted to make several batches of perfectly clear hot pepper jelly
so I ran through a load of Diablo Grande peppers we'd grown.
It made fantastic jelly but, even after what I thought was a thorough
cleanup, the next batch of crabapple juice had a very definite "bite".
Hope this helps.

Ross.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:54 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:

Have been looking at stove top steam juicers. Seems there are at least
three brands out there that are stainless steel. Of course the costly
Mehu-Liisa, (replacement for the Mehu-Maija) top of the line at around
$200.00. Then there's the Victorio model that looks like the Mehu, at
roughly $135.00. Lastly there's the Cook N Home 9.5 quart model (looks
exactly like the Victorio one) at about $99.00. Looking at the
schematics of all three they appear to be made almost exactly the same.
It's possible there is a difference in the gauge of the stainless steel.
The Cook N Home has a clad bottom for even heat distribution, don't know
about the others as that wasn't mentioned.

Any opinions out there?

I do like my Mehu-Liisa. Looks like the prices have gone up. I do
not remember how much I paid for mine. I bought it more than 5 years
ago since the mailing label is to my former residence.

As for getting juice that is too watered down, don't process too long.
If you are doing juice for jelly, use the amount of fruit called for
and stop processing when you reach the amount of juice called for.

I am right now downloading the recipe book. And I discovered that I
can get replacement parts. Nice to know if I boil the bottom pan dry.
I will probably can several quarts of muscadine juice this fall. Grape
juice and pectin are supposed to be good for arthritis. Doesn't hurt
you anyway.
--
Susan N.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:17 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:

[...]

Strange, that stainless steel would absorb the "heat" from chiles. Maybe
there was a little residue left on the interior. Did you wash it well
before using again. Anytime I run hot chiles through anything that thing
gets washed and aired before being used again.

Thanks for the tip though. I'm strongly leaning toward the Cook N Home
stainless steel unit. Quite honestly they all look the same in the
diagrams I've seen on line. The Cook N Home is not only cheaper, it has
an aluminum insert in the bottom boiling pan to gather and release heat
quicker and longer at lower temps on the fire.

I've been trying to talk DW into letting me plant a Dolgo crabapple tree
in the front yard. She does love her lawn though. I think it would go
well with my quince tree in the backyard.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:20 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:

[...]

Since I went on low-dose aspirin to assist in the clotting factors in my
blood I haven't had much arthritis pain. Been well over a year without
any twinges or aches. Of course I may just be in remission again.
Another inherited genetic factor in my life, my mother's family was
prone to arthritis and my dad's to heart disease. My DD has one of the
many forms of rheumatoid arthritis, has had it since age fourteen. She's
been in remission since she was pregnant with her third child who is
going to be 23 yo in November. Go figure.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:09 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 13:17:00 -0500, George Shirley
wrote:

I'm strongly leaning toward the Cook N Home
stainless steel unit. Quite honestly they all look the same in the
diagrams I've seen on line. The Cook N Home is not only cheaper, it has
an aluminum insert in the bottom boiling pan to gather and release heat
quicker and longer at lower temps on the fire.

Hi George,

I just did a quick search and saw that model on Amazon for $99.00 and,
I think, free shipping.
Exactly the same basic design as our Liisa and quite a bit less than
we paid for ours many years ago.
That aluminum sandwich bottom is an additional benefit.
Go for it!

Ross.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:36 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 13:17:00 -0500, George Shirley
wrote:

Snipped everything to make way for a question or two.

Is your kitchen stove gas?
If so, and you decide to get a steam juicer, can I email you a picture
of a little accessory I made for the Liisa that's simplicity itself to
make but it could avoid your having the one mishap we had.

Ross.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:09 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:54:38 -0500, George Shirley

wrote:

I'm strongly leaning toward the Cook N Home
stainless steel unit. Quite honestly they all look the same in the
diagrams I've seen on line. The Cook N Home is not only cheaper, it has
an aluminum insert in the bottom boiling pan to gather and release heat
quicker and longer at lower temps on the fire.

Hi George,

I just did a quick search and saw that model on Amazon for $99.00 and,
I think, free shipping.
Exactly the same basic design as our Liisa and quite a bit less than
we paid for ours many years ago.
That aluminum sandwich bottom is an additional benefit.
Go for it!

Ross.

On order now Ross. I buy enough stuff from Amazon that I generally get
free shipping. G

I always have stuff on my wish list so that I can always come up with
at least $25. The usual problem is keeping the amount down.
--
Susan N.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:40 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:55:33 -0500, George Shirley

wrote:

Snipped everything to make way for a question or two.

Is your kitchen stove gas?
If so, and you decide to get a steam juicer, can I email you a picture
of a little accessory I made for the Liisa that's simplicity itself to
make but it could avoid your having the one mishap we had.

Ross.

Yes, and yes. I've not had any accidents on the gas stove so far but it
always helps to learn from others misfortune.

OK, for both George and Bob.
http://tinypic.com/r/54fuk8/3
It's just a heat shield.
I started with a piece of thin gauge aluminum about 5 inches long by 2
inches wide. Cut a notch out of one end and then bent the resulting
tabs over to fit the water pan where the juice outlet fits.
I probably had the heat set a bit high but, I made this after the heat
coming up the side of the water pan melted through the juice hose.
Not too big a mess, hadn't been running long enough to have a couple
of quarts in there.
BTW, I replaced the thin hose that came with the unit with much
heavier hose meant for carrying milk from a milking machine to the
pipeline system.

Ross.