Posted to rec.food.preserving
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Steam juicers

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
> > George Shirley wrote:
> >> Have been looking at stove top steam juicers. Seems there are at least
> >> three brands out there that are stainless steel. Of course the costly
> >> Mehu-Liisa, (replacement for the Mehu-Maija) top of the line at around
> >> $200.00. Then there's the Victorio model that looks like the Mehu, at
> >> roughly $135.00. Lastly there's the Cook N Home 9.5 quart model (looks
> >> exactly like the Victorio one) at about $99.00. Looking at the
> >> schematics of all three they appear to be made almost exactly the
> >> same. It's possible there is a difference in the gauge of the
> >> stainless steel. The Cook N Home has a clad bottom for even heat
> >> distribution, don't know about the others as that wasn't mentioned.
> >>
> >> Any opinions out there?

> > I have a Mehu-Liisa or Mehu-Maija, not sure which. My opinion is it
> > makes watery-tasting juice (maybe I just never got the knack for it.) I
> > get better extraction by chopping the fruit and simmering in water and
> > doin' that jelly bag thing.
> >
> > I bet it makes a great tamale cooker tho'. I'll have to try that this
> > winter -- just a few weeks away... :-)
> >
> > Bob

> Thanks.

I've got one from 30 years ago made of aluminum. Sounded like a nice
idea to take hot juice and can right away. But it is really distilled
so no fiber at all and I used it once. ;((

Not rusting just languishing in my basement.

Bill juice best fresh for sure.

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA