Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Steam juicers

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 09:35:32 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Have been looking at stove top steam juicers. Seems there are at least
>three brands out there that are stainless steel. Of course the costly
>Mehu-Liisa, (replacement for the Mehu-Maija) top of the line at around
>$200.00. Then there's the Victorio model that looks like the Mehu, at
>roughly $135.00. Lastly there's the Cook N Home 9.5 quart model (looks
>exactly like the Victorio one) at about $99.00. Looking at the
>schematics of all three they appear to be made almost exactly the same.
>It's possible there is a difference in the gauge of the stainless steel.
>The Cook N Home has a clad bottom for even heat distribution, don't know
>about the others as that wasn't mentioned.
>
>Any opinions out there?

I do like my Mehu-Liisa. Looks like the prices have gone up. I do
not remember how much I paid for mine. I bought it more than 5 years
ago since the mailing label is to my former residence.

As for getting juice that is too watered down, don't process too long.
If you are doing juice for jelly, use the amount of fruit called for
and stop processing when you reach the amount of juice called for.

I am right now downloading the recipe book. And I discovered that I
can get replacement parts. Nice to know if I boil the bottom pan dry.
I will probably can several quarts of muscadine juice this fall. Grape
juice and pectin are supposed to be good for arthritis. Doesn't hurt
you anyway.
--
Susan N.