Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Ann and hubby have been busy

We have been busy canning and still have so much more to do.

This week we canned :
8 pints green and wax beans.
6 quarts green beans
23 half-pints 3 bean salad
20 pints deli dill pickles
20 quarts peaches

Yet to do:
We picked 10 gallons of green and wax beans this morning, more 3 bean salad
and just plain beans
I have 2 gallons okra to can
Green tomatoes to can

Not enough corn to can or freeze, we will just eat it.variety is
"Incredible"

I will try the pickled eggplant, I think I will use the pickled beet recipe
for that.

My 3rd planting of baby lettuce mix is coming up.

Our 2nd planting of beets are coming along, will pickle those later too.

I am sorry I havent got those other recipes posted yet.

Barb I just use the Ball dill relish recipe, its pretty good.

Well got to clean the green beans and snap them, the wax beans too. The wax
beans are the most prolific beans I have evr grown. Each picking I get about
25 beans from each plant, and have picked 3 times and there are nmore beans
coming still .

Love you all,
Ann

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"D.L." > wrote in message
> We have been busy canning and still have so much more to do.
>
> This week we canned :
> 8 pints green and wax beans.
> 6 quarts green beans
> 23 half-pints 3 bean salad
> 20 pints deli dill pickles
> 20 quarts peaches

My, you have been busy. I feel like a piker -- my canning this weekend was:

Roasted tomato salsa (just OK -- I'll make my usual recipe later in the week
after I get farmers market tomatoes. I need salsa for the fair before my
garden tomatoes will be ripe.)

Peach and Apple Salsa

Bluebarb Jam -- used the recipe Kathi posted and it came out wonderful

Strawberry Lime Jam -- a regular strawberry jam recipe with some lime subbed
for a bit of the strawberries -- came out very good.

Raspberry Jelly

Peach Jam

Bread and Butter Pickles -- from Barb's recipe. I screwed up and let them
boil a few minutes at the end -- I was tired and got distracted. They taste
fine, and even if not as crisp as they should be I'll still enter them in
the fair.

I added some of that Ball Pickle Crisp stuff when I put them in the jars.
Will that make them crisper or just keep them from getting any more wimpy?
What is that stuff anyway? I bought it last year and used part of a packet
in my Grandma's Dill Pickles (the last jar of which were consumed a week ago
and were still crisp). In an effort to be thrifty (OK, I'm cheap), I put
the rest of the packet in a pouch made from that press 'n seal plastic wrap.
When I pulled it out to use it, it had liquified.

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message
. net...
> "D.L." > wrote in message
>> We have been busy canning and still have so much more to do.
>>
>> This week we canned :
>> 8 pints green and wax beans.
>> 6 quarts green beans
>> 23 half-pints 3 bean salad
>> 20 pints deli dill pickles
>> 20 quarts peaches
>>

> My, you have been busy. I feel like a piker -- my canning this weekend
> was:
>
> Roasted tomato salsa (just OK -- I'll make my usual recipe later in the
> week after I get farmers market tomatoes. I need salsa for the fair
> before my garden tomatoes will be ripe.)
>
> Peach and Apple Salsa
>
> Bluebarb Jam -- used the recipe Kathi posted and it came out wonderful

pretty tasty stuff, eh? I was really impressed too. If it ends up at the
fair, let us know how it does!!

Kathi

> in my Grandma's Dill Pickles (the last jar of which were consumed a week
> ago and were still crisp). In an effort to be thrifty (OK, I'm cheap

huh...I'm thinking the whole preserving thing 'started' because we were
'cheap'.....???

now, I do it because I love being in the kitchen - I'm a foodie - always
looking for something new to try/eat/cook/bake....the preserving thing is
like a hobby for me - I don't crochet or knit, or sew or paint (well, not as
hobby), I preserve... ;-)

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message

> "Anny Middon" > wrote in message
> . net...
>> "D.L." > wrote in message
>>> We have been busy canning and still have so much more to do.
>>>
>>> This week we canned :
>>> 8 pints green and wax beans.
>>> 6 quarts green beans
>>> 23 half-pints 3 bean salad
>>> 20 pints deli dill pickles
>>> 20 quarts peaches
>>>

>> My, you have been busy. I feel like a piker -- my canning this weekend
>> was:
>>
>> Roasted tomato salsa (just OK -- I'll make my usual recipe later in the
>> week after I get farmers market tomatoes. I need salsa for the fair
>> before my garden tomatoes will be ripe.)
>>
>> Peach and Apple Salsa
>>
>> Bluebarb Jam -- used the recipe Kathi posted and it came out wonderful

> pretty tasty stuff, eh? I was really impressed too. If it ends up at the
> fair, let us know how it does!!

Will do. I'm not sure yet whether I'll submit that one or the Strawberry
Lime one -- it will depend on the consistency, since both taste really good.

>> in my Grandma's Dill Pickles (the last jar of which were consumed a week
>> ago and were still crisp). In an effort to be thrifty (OK, I'm cheap

> huh...I'm thinking the whole preserving thing 'started' because we were
> 'cheap'.....???

For some here, I'm sure that's true. I started mostly because I didn't like
wasting the garden produce that we didn't eat when ready -- I guess that
counts as "cheap". :-)

But I deliberately don't add up what it costs to make canned items. I'm too
afraid that if I took what I paid for good fruit and the sugar and the
pectin and the lids (and sometimes the jars) and the gas used to cook and
process the jam, I'd find out that I could get quality stuff in the stores
for less.

But then try finding Bluebarb Jam in the stores.

(Right now, I'm flashing to Maggie Smith in Gosford Park saying, "Bought
marmalade? Oh, dear, I call htat very feeble." Had to look that up on
imdb.com, since the memory ain't what it used to be, but I remember when I
saw the movie, laughing and cheering at that bit.)

> now, I do it because I love being in the kitchen - I'm a foodie - always
> looking for something new to try/eat/cook/bake....the preserving thing is
> like a hobby for me - I don't crochet or knit, or sew or paint (well, not
> as hobby), I preserve... ;-)

Me, too. I love reading canning cookbooks and identifying stuff I want to
try. I love giving it away, too.

Anny