Posted to rec.food.preserving
Anny Middon Anny Middon is offline

Default Ann and hubby have been busy

"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message

> "Anny Middon" > wrote in message
> . net...
>> "D.L." > wrote in message
>>> We have been busy canning and still have so much more to do.
>>>
>>> This week we canned :
>>> 8 pints green and wax beans.
>>> 6 quarts green beans
>>> 23 half-pints 3 bean salad
>>> 20 pints deli dill pickles
>>> 20 quarts peaches
>>>

>> My, you have been busy. I feel like a piker -- my canning this weekend
>> was:
>>
>> Roasted tomato salsa (just OK -- I'll make my usual recipe later in the
>> week after I get farmers market tomatoes. I need salsa for the fair
>> before my garden tomatoes will be ripe.)
>>
>> Peach and Apple Salsa
>>
>> Bluebarb Jam -- used the recipe Kathi posted and it came out wonderful

> pretty tasty stuff, eh? I was really impressed too. If it ends up at the
> fair, let us know how it does!!

Will do. I'm not sure yet whether I'll submit that one or the Strawberry
Lime one -- it will depend on the consistency, since both taste really good.

>> in my Grandma's Dill Pickles (the last jar of which were consumed a week
>> ago and were still crisp). In an effort to be thrifty (OK, I'm cheap

> huh...I'm thinking the whole preserving thing 'started' because we were
> 'cheap'.....???

For some here, I'm sure that's true. I started mostly because I didn't like
wasting the garden produce that we didn't eat when ready -- I guess that
counts as "cheap". :-)

But I deliberately don't add up what it costs to make canned items. I'm too
afraid that if I took what I paid for good fruit and the sugar and the
pectin and the lids (and sometimes the jars) and the gas used to cook and
process the jam, I'd find out that I could get quality stuff in the stores
for less.

But then try finding Bluebarb Jam in the stores.

(Right now, I'm flashing to Maggie Smith in Gosford Park saying, "Bought
marmalade? Oh, dear, I call htat very feeble." Had to look that up on
imdb.com, since the memory ain't what it used to be, but I remember when I
saw the movie, laughing and cheering at that bit.)

> now, I do it because I love being in the kitchen - I'm a foodie - always
> looking for something new to try/eat/cook/bake....the preserving thing is
> like a hobby for me - I don't crochet or knit, or sew or paint (well, not
> as hobby), I preserve... ;-)

Me, too. I love reading canning cookbooks and identifying stuff I want to
try. I love giving it away, too.

Anny