Posted to rec.food.preserving
Anny Middon Anny Middon is offline

Default Ann and hubby have been busy

"D.L." > wrote in message
> We have been busy canning and still have so much more to do.
>
> This week we canned :
> 8 pints green and wax beans.
> 6 quarts green beans
> 23 half-pints 3 bean salad
> 20 pints deli dill pickles
> 20 quarts peaches

My, you have been busy. I feel like a piker -- my canning this weekend was:

Roasted tomato salsa (just OK -- I'll make my usual recipe later in the week
after I get farmers market tomatoes. I need salsa for the fair before my
garden tomatoes will be ripe.)

Peach and Apple Salsa

Bluebarb Jam -- used the recipe Kathi posted and it came out wonderful

Strawberry Lime Jam -- a regular strawberry jam recipe with some lime subbed
for a bit of the strawberries -- came out very good.

Raspberry Jelly

Peach Jam

Bread and Butter Pickles -- from Barb's recipe. I screwed up and let them
boil a few minutes at the end -- I was tired and got distracted. They taste
fine, and even if not as crisp as they should be I'll still enter them in
the fair.

I added some of that Ball Pickle Crisp stuff when I put them in the jars.
Will that make them crisper or just keep them from getting any more wimpy?
What is that stuff anyway? I bought it last year and used part of a packet
in my Grandma's Dill Pickles (the last jar of which were consumed a week ago
and were still crisp). In an effort to be thrifty (OK, I'm cheap), I put
the rest of the packet in a pouch made from that press 'n seal plastic wrap.
When I pulled it out to use it, it had liquified.

Anny