Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen AKA Kajikit

Default Need Thanksgiving Pie recipes

My SIL invited everyone to come for thanksgiving, so I volunteered to
bring pie because it's easy to make in advance and to transport 3+
hours up the freeway...

I went to the store for ingredients this afternoon and got a big can
of pumpkin for the pumpkin pie, a bag of fresh apples for apple pie,
and two cans of dessert peaches to drain and use in a peach pie. There
are going to be 20+ people there for the weekend so I need a couple
more pies to make! Help me out please...

--
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:45:21 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
> wrote:

>I went to the store for ingredients this afternoon and got a big can
>of pumpkin for the pumpkin pie, a bag of fresh apples for apple pie,
>and two cans of dessert peaches to drain and use in a peach pie. There
>are going to be 20+ people there for the weekend so I need a couple
>more pies to make! Help me out please...

All tried, tested, and devoured:

Pumpkin Pecan Pie
Sour Cream Apple Pie
Cheesecake-Pecan Pie

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pumpkin Pecan Pie

Recipe By :Libby's
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : pies-crusts Thanksgiving

PUMPKIN LAYER
1 pie crust (9 inch) -- unbaked
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
PECAN LAYER
2/3 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans

PREHEAT oven to 350° F.

FOR PUMPKIN LAYER
COMBINE pumpkin, sugar, egg and pumpkin pie spice in medium bowl; stir
well. Spread over bottom of pie shell.

FOR PECAN LAYER
COMBINE corn syrup, sugar, eggs, butter and vanilla extract in same
bowl; stir in nuts. Spoon over pumpkin layer.

BAKE for 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool on wire rack.

Cuisine:
"American - South"
Source:
"www.verybestbaking.com"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : November 28, 2002
The pumpkin-pecan pie was to-die-for. As soon as I digest some of
what's already in my stomach, I'm gonna bombard myself with another
slice of pie. It tastes primarily like a pecan pie, but with a
delightfully spicy pumpkin undertone (I used Penzey's Pumpkin Pie
Spice). A definite keeper!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sour Cream Apple Pie

Recipe By amsel
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : fruits pies-crusts

3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
2 pounds peeled apple slices

1. Combine first five (dry) ingredients.
2. Cover bottom of unbaked pie shell with 1/4 of mixture.
3. Stir remaining mixture into sour cream.
4. Slice apples 1/8-inch thick, and stir into sour cream mixture..
5. Place mixture into pie shell and cover with top pastry. Let rest 10
minutes.
6. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
7. Bake at 450°F for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325°F, and bake about
45 minutes, or until apples are done.
8. IMPORTANT: Cool 3 to 4 hours on rack before cutting.

Cuisine:
"American"
Source:
"Pat Zastera (Damsel's Mom)"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cheesecake-Pecan Pie

Recipe By amsel
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cheesecakes Easter
pies-crusts

---Crust---
1 stick butter -- chilled
2 cups flour
1 egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sour cream
---Cheesecake Layer---
8 ounces cream cheese
1 large egg
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
---Pecan Pie Layer---
1 1/4 cups pecans -- coarsely broken
3 eggs
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt

Crust:
Place flour in a medium bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is the size
of small peas. Add egg, salt, and sour cream. Stir with a fork until
pastry forms a ball (or use food processor).

Divide into two parts. If making a single crust pie, refrigerate or
freeze one portion for another pie.

Wrap in plastic and chill until stiff enough to work with
(approximately 45 minutes). When ready to use, roll pastry thinly
(about 1/8 inch).

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Cheesecake Layer:
With an electric mixer, whip the cream cheese, egg, sugar and vanilla
until fluffy. Spread the mixture in the bottom of the unbaked pie
shell.

Pecan Pie Layer:
Sprinkle the pecans over the cheese mixture. Beat the eggs with an
electric mixer until foamy. Add the corn syrup, sugar, vanilla, and
salt and mix well. Pour over the pecans.

Bake until center of pie is firm, about 55 minutes. Store in
refrigerator.

VARIATION
Cheesecake-Almond Pie (J. Helman):
Substitute sliced almonds for the pecans, and almond extract for the
vanilla.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : After baking, the pecan filling will be on the bottom, the
cheesecake layer will be on top of that, and the nuts will form a
crunchy topping. This is a very rich pie. Cut those pieces small!
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tara

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:45:21 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
> wrote:

>My SIL invited everyone to come for thanksgiving, so I volunteered to
>bring pie because it's easy to make in advance and to transport 3+
>hours up the freeway...
>
>I went to the store for ingredients this afternoon and got a big can
>of pumpkin for the pumpkin pie, a bag of fresh apples for apple pie,
>and two cans of dessert peaches to drain and use in a peach pie. There
>are going to be 20+ people there for the weekend so I need a couple
>more pies to make! Help me out please...

You need a pecan pie. The Karo syrup recipe is a classic:

http://www.karosyrup.com/pecanPie.asp

Chocolate fudge pie never did no harm, neither.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> My SIL invited everyone to come for thanksgiving, so I volunteered to
> bring pie because it's easy to make in advance and to transport 3+
> hours up the freeway...
>
> I went to the store for ingredients this afternoon and got a big can
> of pumpkin for the pumpkin pie, a bag of fresh apples for apple pie,
> and two cans of dessert peaches to drain and use in a peach pie. There
> are going to be 20+ people there for the weekend so I need a couple
> more pies to make! Help me out please...

Lemon Meringue? (The recipe is on the cornstarch box)

And you gotta have a pecan pie (I'll post a recipe in a follow-up
message a little later tonite)

Buttermilk pie is pretty easy, and the old folks especially will like it.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:45:21 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>My SIL invited everyone to come for thanksgiving, so I volunteered to
>bring pie because it's easy to make in advance and to transport 3+
>hours up the freeway...
>
>I went to the store for ingredients this afternoon and got a big can
>of pumpkin for the pumpkin pie, a bag of fresh apples for apple pie,
>and two cans of dessert peaches to drain and use in a peach pie. There
>are going to be 20+ people there for the weekend so I need a couple
>more pies to make! Help me out please...

Peach pie for Thanksgiving? That's a first. IMHO, peach pie is a
summer pie, but whattheheck.

I posted a pecan pie a couple of days ago that is perfect every time
and dead easy:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Pecan Pie

desserts

1 baked pie crust
6 tablespoon unsalted butter; cut into one inch pieces
1 cup dark brown sugar; packed
1/2 teaspoon Salt
3 large eggs
1/4 cup light corn syrup
12 ounces pecans; whole

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 275°. Melt
butter in medium heatproof bowl set in skillet of water maintained at
just below simmer. Remove bowl from skillet; mix in sugar and salt
with wooden spoon until butter is absorbed. Beat in eggs, then corn
syrup and vanilla. Return bowl to hot water; stir until mixture is
shiny an dhot to the touch, about 130°F. Remove from heat.

2. Arrange pecans in an even layer in the baked pie shell. Pour
mixture over evenly. Bake until center feels soft, like gelatin, when
gently pressed, about 50 to 60 mins. Transfer to rack; let cool
completely, at least 4 hour. Serve pie at room temperature or warm
with lightly sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Contributor: The Best Recipe

Yield: 8 servings

Preparation Time: :30

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> My SIL invited everyone to come for thanksgiving, so I volunteered to
> bring pie because it's easy to make in advance and to transport 3+
> hours up the freeway...
>
> I went to the store for ingredients this afternoon and got a big can
> of pumpkin for the pumpkin pie, a bag of fresh apples for apple pie,
> and two cans of dessert peaches to drain and use in a peach pie. There
> are going to be 20+ people there for the weekend so I need a couple
> more pies to make! Help me out please...

Bob's Pecan Pie

(This is a big recipe -- a 10" or deep dish 9 1/2" pie. It will not fit
in a 9" pan.)

4 eggs
3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. sugar (just use a slightly rounded 3/4 cup measure)
1 1/3 cup dark Karo syrup
7 Tbsp salted butter or margarine
1 1/2 cup pecan halves

[note: I usually use 1 cup of pecan halves and 1 cup of chopped walnuts
instead of 1 1/2 cup pecans]

I prepare the pastry shell and half-bake it while assembling the
filling. Notice the filling leaves a leftover 1 Tbsp butter from a
whole stick. I use it in the pastry dough. I think the recipe works OK
with an unbaked pie shell, but I don't remember.

This is about twice as much butter as the recipe on the Karo syrup
bottle, and I think it makes a big difference in the texture of the pie.
For a 9" pie, just use the recipe on the back of the Karo syrup bottle,
but increase the butter to 1/3 cup and add extra chopped nuts.

If I have light corn syrup instead of dark, I substitute brown sugar
(packed) for the granulated sugar.

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Mix in the syrup
and sugar, then the eggs. You can turn up the heat a little at this
point if you want to. Mix continuously with a wire whisk until it is
hot and starting to change color, but still thin. I've never measured
it with a candy thermometer, but I guess it's about 150 degrees.
You should be able to *uncomfortably* stick your finger in the filling
without getting burned. Be careful not to scramble the eggs. If you
don't mix the filling well enough, most of the butter floats to the top
with the nuts when you bake it and the texture is not as good. Add the
nuts and mix them in well so they get thoroughly coated with the filling
mixture. Pour the hot filling into the pie shell and bake at 375 until
it just starts to "souffle" (puff up). By partially cooking the filling,
the whole filling gets done at about the same time (about 30 minutes)
and you don't have to mess with putting aluminum foil around the edge of
the crust to prevent it from scorching or worry about whether the pie is
done in the middle. Don't try to arrange pecan halves on top -- all the
nuts need to be mixed in the filling so they float to the top and get
candied. Start watching the pie at about 20 minutes so you don't
overbake it. Best served at room temperature. Cut the pieces kind of
small because it is extremely rich.

It's a lot easier than it sounds. It's actually easier than the
traditional method.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen AKA Kajikit

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:40:58 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
>> My SIL invited everyone to come for thanksgiving, so I volunteered to
>> bring pie because it's easy to make in advance and to transport 3+
>> hours up the freeway...
>>
>> I went to the store for ingredients this afternoon and got a big can
>> of pumpkin for the pumpkin pie, a bag of fresh apples for apple pie,
>> and two cans of dessert peaches to drain and use in a peach pie. There
>> are going to be 20+ people there for the weekend so I need a couple
>> more pies to make! Help me out please...
>>

>Lemon Meringue? (The recipe is on the cornstarch box)
>
>And you gotta have a pecan pie (I'll post a recipe in a follow-up
>message a little later tonite)
>
>Buttermilk pie is pretty easy, and the old folks especially will like it.
>
>Best regards,
>Bob

I was going to make pecan pie - I've got pecans... but (whimper) I
forgot to buy corn syrup at the store! And I spent fifty dollars on
baking ingredients (it's the church bake sale this weekend, we're
having a thanksgiving luncheon at church on sunday, plus i have to
make the pies...) so DH would be really mad if I told him we had to go
back again! I forgot lemon juice or limes too...

--
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Online photo album - http://community.webshots.com/user/kajikit
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen AKA Kajikit

Damsel, the sour cream apple pie and the pecan cheesecake pie sound
great. How transportable are they? I think I forgot to say that we
have to drive up to Orlando with them the day before Thanksgiving...
could they handle three hours in the car?

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:00:55 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> [...]

>Pecan Pie Layer:
>Sprinkle the pecans over the cheese mixture. Beat the eggs with an
>electric mixer until foamy. Add the corn syrup, sugar, vanilla, and
>salt and mix well. Pour over the pecans.
>
>Bake until center of pie is firm, about 55 minutes. Store in
>refrigerator.
>
>VARIATION
>Cheesecake-Almond Pie (J. Helman):
>Substitute sliced almonds for the pecans, and almond extract for the
>vanilla.
>

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>NOTES : After baking, the pecan filling will be on the bottom, the
>cheesecake layer will be on top of that, and the nuts will form a
>crunchy topping. This is a very rich pie. Cut those pieces small!

--
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:00:49 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
> wrote:

>Damsel, the sour cream apple pie and the pecan cheesecake pie sound
>great. How transportable are they? I think I forgot to say that we
>have to drive up to Orlando with them the day before Thanksgiving...
>could they handle three hours in the car?

Yeah, that wouldn't be a problem as long as they're refrigerated
before and after. Both pies are amazing!

Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dawn

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

> There
> are going to be 20+ people there for the weekend so I need a couple
> more pies to make! Help me out please...

Blueberry:

top & bottom pie crusts
1 cup sugar
3 Tb flour
dash cinnamon
dash clove
berries (I use 2 bags of frozen)
butter

Mix dry ingredients with thawed berries, pour into your favorite pie
shell, and top with pats of butter. Cover with 2nd crust and bake 450F
for 15 minutes then lower temp to 350 for another 30 minutes.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Default User

Tara wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:45:21 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
> > wrote:
>
> > My SIL invited everyone to come for thanksgiving, so I volunteered
> > to bring pie because it's easy to make in advance and to transport
> > 3+ hours up the freeway...
> >
> > I went to the store for ingredients this afternoon and got a big can
> > of pumpkin for the pumpkin pie, a bag of fresh apples for apple pie,
> > and two cans of dessert peaches to drain and use in a peach pie.
> > There are going to be 20+ people there for the weekend so I need a
> > couple more pies to make! Help me out please...

> You need a pecan pie. The Karo syrup recipe is a classic:

I agree, pecan is one of the best transport pies. It doesn't need
refrigeration and it isn't prone to slop. It can take a fair amount of
handling and jostling.

Added bonus -- fantastic tasting!

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 17 Nov 2005 10:09:57a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dawn?

> Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
>
>> There
>> are going to be 20+ people there for the weekend so I need a couple
>> more pies to make! Help me out please...

> Blueberry:
>
> top & bottom pie crusts
> 1 cup sugar
> 3 Tb flour
> dash cinnamon
> dash clove
> berries (I use 2 bags of frozen)
> butter
>
> Mix dry ingredients with thawed berries, pour into your favorite pie
> shell, and top with pats of butter. Cover with 2nd crust and bake 450F
> for 15 minutes then lower temp to 350 for another 30 minutes.

Dawn, sometime try a mixture of 2 TB flour and 2 TB cornstarch. I think it
gives a nicer texture. Otherwise, your recipe is almost exactly like mine.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
itsjoannotjoann

Default User wrote:
> Tara wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:45:21 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > My SIL invited everyone to come for thanksgiving, so I volunteered
> > > to bring pie because it's easy to make in advance and to transport
> > > 3+ hours up the freeway...

Help me out please...

Nobody has mentioned mincemeat pie, one of my favorites!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 17 Nov 2005 11:05:24a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
itsjoannotjoann?

> Default User wrote:
>> Tara wrote:
>>
>> > On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:45:21 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit

> Help me out please...
>> >

> Nobody has mentioned mincemeat pie, one of my favorites!

Also at the top of my list, but I don't like the commercial jarred stuff
and it's a little late to make your own for Thanksgiving. Mine was made a
couple of months ago.

In a pinch I have doctored up a jar of mincemeat by adding finely cut
apple, more currants, a few broken nuts, and some brandy.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy1

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 17 Nov 2005 11:05:24a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> itsjoannotjoann?
>

> > Default User wrote:

> > Help me out please...
> >> >

> > Nobody has mentioned mincemeat pie, one of my favorites!

> Also at the top of my list, but I don't like the commercial jarred stuff
> and it's a little late to make your own for Thanksgiving. Mine was made a
> couple of months ago.
>
> In a pinch I have doctored up a jar of mincemeat by adding finely cut
> apple, more currants, a few broken nuts, and some brandy.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Look for the Crosse & Blackwell brand mincemeat - SO much better than
the ever-present Nonesuch (which sucks). Pretty hard to tell from good
home-made (the kind without actual minced meat, that is).

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

Wayne Boatwright wrote on 17 Nov 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> On Thu 17 Nov 2005 10:09:57a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dawn?
>
> > Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> >
> >> There
> >> are going to be 20+ people there for the weekend so I need a couple
> >> more pies to make! Help me out please...

> > Blueberry:
> >
> > top & bottom pie crusts
> > 1 cup sugar
> > 3 Tb flour
> > dash cinnamon
> > dash clove
> > berries (I use 2 bags of frozen)
> > butter
> >
> > Mix dry ingredients with thawed berries, pour into your favorite pie
> > shell, and top with pats of butter. Cover with 2nd crust and bake
> > 450F for 15 minutes then lower temp to 350 for another 30 minutes.

> Dawn, sometime try a mixture of 2 TB flour and 2 TB cornstarch. I
> think it gives a nicer texture. Otherwise, your recipe is almost
> exactly like mine.

I like this one ...it's fast, easy and tasty

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

BlueBerry Tart

desserts, pies

3/4 cup pecan peices
3/4 cup Sugar
3 tbsp all purpose flour
1 lb frozen unsweetened blueberries; wild variety prefered
1 9 inch frozen/fresh pie shell
1 cup sour cream

preheat oven to 400F

Place pecans, sugar, flour in the bowl of a food processor and process till
powdered. Combine in a bowl the powder with the frozen blueberries (mix
well).
Pour into pie Crust.

Place tart on a foil lined cookie sheet (prevents spilly clean ups). Bake
for 50-60 minutes, until the pie crust is lightly browned on top.
Cool for at least 1 hour.

To serve cut into wedges and garnish with sour cream.

Contributor: "The Short-Cut Cook" by Jacque Pepin page 247

The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
The ears keep the hat up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

itsjoannotjoann wrote on 17 Nov 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Default User wrote:
> > Tara wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:45:21 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit

> Help me out please...
> > >

> Nobody has mentioned mincemeat pie, one of my favorites!

You just did,

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 17 Nov 2005 01:45:34p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy1?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Thu 17 Nov 2005 11:05:24a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> itsjoannotjoann?

>> > Help me out please...
>> >> >

>> > Nobody has mentioned mincemeat pie, one of my favorites!

>> Also at the top of my list, but I don't like the commercial jarred
>> stuff and it's a little late to make your own for Thanksgiving. Mine
>> was made a couple of months ago.
>>
>> In a pinch I have doctored up a jar of mincemeat by adding finely cut
>> apple, more currants, a few broken nuts, and some brandy.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿* ________________________________________

> Look for the Crosse & Blackwell brand mincemeat - SO much better than
> the ever-present Nonesuch (which sucks). Pretty hard to tell from good
> home-made (the kind without actual minced meat, that is).

Do you know if it has shredded suet in it, Nancy? I can't recall. I
don't use minced meat in mine, but I do use the suet.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

Nancy1 wrote on 17 Nov 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > On Thu 17 Nov 2005 11:05:24a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> > itsjoannotjoann?

> > > Help me out please...
> > >> >

> > > Nobody has mentioned mincemeat pie, one of my favorites!

> > Also at the top of my list, but I don't like the commercial jarred
> > stuff and it's a little late to make your own for Thanksgiving.
> > Mine was made a couple of months ago.
> >
> > In a pinch I have doctored up a jar of mincemeat by adding finely
> > cut apple, more currants, a few broken nuts, and some brandy.
> >
> > --
> > Wayne Boatwright *¿*

> Look for the Crosse & Blackwell brand mincemeat - SO much better than
> the ever-present Nonesuch (which sucks). Pretty hard to tell from
> good home-made (the kind without actual minced meat, that is).
>
> N.

I like C & B's gravy browning.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 17 Nov 2005 12:45:34 -0800, "Nancy1" >
wrote:

>Look for the Crosse & Blackwell brand mincemeat - SO much better than
>the ever-present Nonesuch (which sucks). Pretty hard to tell from good
>home-made (the kind without actual minced meat, that is).

What's in mincemeat?

Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes

> Tara wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:45:21 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > My SIL invited everyone to come for thanksgiving, so I volunteered

> > > to bring pie because it's easy to make in advance and to transport

> > > 3+ hours up the freeway...
> > >
> > > I went to the store for ingredients this afternoon and got a big

> can
> > > of pumpkin for the pumpkin pie, a bag of fresh apples for apple

> pie,
> > > and two cans of dessert peaches to drain and use in a peach pie.
> > > There are going to be 20+ people there for the weekend so I need a

> > > couple more pies to make! Help me out please...

For a differant pumpkin pie, add a 1/4 inch layer of cream cheese on the
bottom and cover the top with chopped walnuts falvoured with a bit of
lemon zest.
---
JL

> > You need a pecan pie. The Karo syrup recipe is a classic:

> I agree, pecan is one of the best transport pies. It doesn't need
> refrigeration and it isn't prone to slop. It can take a fair amount of
>
> handling and jostling.
>
> Added bonus -- fantastic tasting!
>
> Brian
>
> --
> If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
> won't shut up.
> -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:09:10 -0000, Mr Libido Incognito
> wrote:

>BlueBerry Tart
>
>desserts, pies
>
>3/4 cup pecan peices
>3/4 cup Sugar
>3 tbsp all purpose flour
>1 lb frozen unsweetened blueberries; wild variety prefered
>1 9 inch frozen/fresh pie shell
>1 cup sour cream

Anything with both sour cream and pecans must be good. I'm a-keepin'
this'un.

Thanks!
Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On 17 Nov 2005 12:45:34 -0800, "Nancy1" >
> wrote:
>

>>Look for the Crosse & Blackwell brand mincemeat - SO much better than
>>the ever-present Nonesuch (which sucks). Pretty hard to tell from good
>>home-made (the kind without actual minced meat, that is).

> What's in mincemeat?
>
> Carol

Oversimplistic answer:

Raisins, chopped apples, boiled beef (optional), brown sugar, and suet
(not optional.) And sometimes green tomatoes, if you're trying to use
up green tomatoes.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 23:30:18 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
> wrote:

>For a differant pumpkin pie, add a 1/4 inch layer of cream cheese on the
>bottom and cover the top with chopped walnuts falvoured with a bit of
>lemon zest.

You're evil. Just plain evil. I like that..

Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:36:56 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>> What's in mincemeat?

>Oversimplistic answer:
>
>Raisins, chopped apples, boiled beef (optional), brown sugar, and suet
>(not optional.) And sometimes green tomatoes, if you're trying to use
>up green tomatoes.

And people eat this? I know they do, because one was served every
Thanksgiving and Christmas when I was growing up. Never tried it, and
I think now that I probably never will. <G>

Carol, who thinks suet should have birdseed in it
--
Wash away the gray to respond.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Dawn > wrote:
(this is about pies)

> Blueberry:

> berries (I use 2 bags of frozen)

How much does the bag weigh?
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-9-05 finishing in four
parts the trip report from our vacation time in San Francisco
Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Dawn > wrote:
> (this is about pies)
>
>>Blueberry:

>>berries (I use 2 bags of frozen)

> How much does the bag weigh?

The bag is usually pretty light. I wouldn't worry about it. HTH ;-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 17 Nov 2005 04:36:56p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it zxcvbob?

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> On 17 Nov 2005 12:45:34 -0800, "Nancy1" > wrote:
>>

>>>Look for the Crosse & Blackwell brand mincemeat - SO much better than
>>>the ever-present Nonesuch (which sucks). Pretty hard to tell from good
>>>home-made (the kind without actual minced meat, that is).

>> What's in mincemeat?
>>
>> Carol

> Oversimplistic answer:
>
> Raisins, chopped apples, boiled beef (optional), brown sugar, and suet
> (not optional.) And sometimes green tomatoes, if you're trying to use
> up green tomatoes.

Not oversiimplistic answer, this is the ingredient list from the recipe I
use:

1 Pound Granny Smith Apples, cored and diced small
8 Ounces Shredded Suet
8 Ounces Seedless Raisins
8 Ounces Sultanas (golden raisins)
12 Ounces Dried Currants
8 Ounces Mixed Candied Peel, finely chopped
12 Ounces Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Black Mission Figs, diced small
2 Oranges, grated zest & juice
2 Lemons, grated zest & juice
1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
7 Teaspoons Mixed Spice (see Notes)
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
1/2 Cup Brandy (or mixture of brandy & rum)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen AKA Kajikit

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:48:34 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:36:56 -0600, zxcvbob >
>wrote:
>
>>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>>
>>> What's in mincemeat?

>>Oversimplistic answer:
>>
>>Raisins, chopped apples, boiled beef (optional), brown sugar, and suet
>>(not optional.) And sometimes green tomatoes, if you're trying to use
>>up green tomatoes.

>And people eat this? I know they do, because one was served every
>Thanksgiving and Christmas when I was growing up. Never tried it, and
>I think now that I probably never will. <G>
>
>Carol, who thinks suet should have birdseed in it

Damsel, I used to make a pretty good pie-filling that tasted a heck of
a lot nicer than the original mincemeat. I hate suet - it makes it
greasy! I just used finely chopped apple, raisins, currants and
sultanas (golden raisins), and a little port or sweet sherry together
with spices. Cook it all up together till the fruit is plump and the
apple is soft and use it. Think of apple pie only sweeter and
richer...

--
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Online photo album - http://community.webshots.com/user/kajikit
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 18 Nov 2005 03:20:23 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>> On 17 Nov 2005 12:45:34 -0800, "Nancy1" > wrote:
>>>
>>> What's in mincemeat?

>Not oversiimplistic answer, this is the ingredient list from the recipe I
>use:
>
>1 Pound Granny Smith Apples, cored and diced small
>8 Ounces Shredded Suet
>8 Ounces Seedless Raisins
>8 Ounces Sultanas (golden raisins)
>12 Ounces Dried Currants
>8 Ounces Mixed Candied Peel, finely chopped
>12 Ounces Dark Brown Sugar
>1/2 Cup Black Mission Figs, diced small
>2 Oranges, grated zest & juice
>2 Lemons, grated zest & juice
>1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
>7 Teaspoons Mixed Spice (see Notes)
>1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
>1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
>1/2 Cup Brandy (or mixture of brandy & rum)

That actually looks good! What is the thing with suet? I still
associate it with feeding birds in the winter. What IS suet? I
suppose there are no acceptable substsitutions?

Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:20:53 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
> wrote:

>Damsel, I used to make a pretty good pie-filling that tasted a heck of
>a lot nicer than the original mincemeat. I hate suet - it makes it
>greasy! I just used finely chopped apple, raisins, currants and
>sultanas (golden raisins), and a little port or sweet sherry together
>with spices. Cook it all up together till the fruit is plump and the
>apple is soft and use it. Think of apple pie only sweeter and
>richer...

Do you have an actual recipe that you follow? With baking, I always
use a recipe.

Thanks!
Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 18 Nov 2005 03:20:23 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Not oversiimplistic answer, this is the ingredient list from the recipe I
>use (for mincemeat):

Wayne, would you be willing to post the rest of the recipe? This
looks sooooo good. Better the more I look at it.

I'm just worried about that suet.

Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 17 Nov 2005 07:35:31p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
dis Dress?

> On 18 Nov 2005 03:20:23 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Not oversiimplistic answer, this is the ingredient list from the recipe I
>>use (for mincemeat):

> Wayne, would you be willing to post the rest of the recipe? This
> looks sooooo good. Better the more I look at it.

Carol, this really is a very good pie. I have made mincemeat filling using
actual minced meat as well as the suet, however, I didn't care for it. The
suet it essential, more for texture and mouthfeel than taste.

> I'm just worried about that suet.

First off, it's pure fat! :-) Suet is the hard fat from around the
kidneys, usually from cattle and sheep. Beef suet is the only kind I've
ever used. In the UK it is easily bought in virtually any supermarket.
It's almost impossible to find in US supermarkets. I order it from the
butcher and ask them to put it through the food grinder. It's *very*
inexpensive, and can be stored long term in the freezer.

Here's the complete recipe. It's a slight variation on the Christmas
Mincemeat recipe from Delia Smith.

Take special note of the "mixed spice". It is not available in the US, but
easily made. The recipe for it is at the end. It's an essential in this
recipe.

Enjoy!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Christmas Mincemeat

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 Pound Granny Smith Apples -- cored and diced small
8 Ounces Shredded Suet
8 Ounces Seedless Raisins
8 Ounces Sultanas -- (golden raisins)
12 Ounces Dried Currants
8 Ounces Mixed Candied Peel -- finely chopped
12 Ounces Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Black Mission Figs -- diced small
2 Oranges -- grated zest & juice
2 Lemons -- grated zest & juice
1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
7 Teaspoons Mixed Spice -- (see Notes)
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
1/2 Cup Brandy -- (or mixture of brandy & rum)

Combine all ingredients, except brandy, in a large mixing bowl, stirring
them and mixing them together very thoroughly. Cover bowl loosely and
leave mixture in a cool place at least 12 hours or overnight, so the
flavors have a chance to mingle and develop.

Preheat oven to 225 degrees F. Cover bowl loosely with foil, or transfer
mincemeat to large non-reactive roaster with cover loosely fitted. Bake
in oven for 3 hours without stirring.

Remove from oven and uncover. The mincemeat will look as though it's
swimming in fat. This is how it should look. As it cools, stir it from
time to time; the fat will coagulate and instead of it being in tiny
shreds it will encase all the other ingredients.

When mincemeat is quite cold, stir in the brandy. Pack in sterilized jars
and fit lid tightly. The mincemeat will keep indefinitely in a cool, dark
cupboard, or may be refrigerated.

Yield:
"6 Pounds"

NOTES : British Mixed Spice

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground mace
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teasopon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground coriander

Blend all together and store in airtight container.
May also be used for Pumpkin Pie.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 17 Nov 2005 07:20:53p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Karen AKA
Kajikit?

> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:48:34 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:

>>>Oversimplistic answer:
>>>
>>>Raisins, chopped apples, boiled beef (optional), brown sugar, and suet
>>>(not optional.) And sometimes green tomatoes, if you're trying to use
>>>up green tomatoes.

>>And people eat this? I know they do, because one was served every
>>Thanksgiving and Christmas when I was growing up. Never tried it, and
>>I think now that I probably never will. <G>
>>
>>Carol, who thinks suet should have birdseed in it

> Damsel, I used to make a pretty good pie-filling that tasted a heck of
> a lot nicer than the original mincemeat. I hate suet - it makes it
> greasy! I just used finely chopped apple, raisins, currants and
> sultanas (golden raisins), and a little port or sweet sherry together
> with spices. Cook it all up together till the fruit is plump and the
> apple is soft and use it. Think of apple pie only sweeter and
> richer...

Suet is an *essential* part of proper mincemeat. Perhaps you used too
much. It's important to the texture and the mouthfeel, which isn't
"greasy" in proper proportions.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 17 Nov 2005 07:27:12p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in

wrote:

>>Not oversiimplistic answer, this is the ingredient list from the recipe I
>>use:
>>
>>1 Pound Granny Smith Apples, cored and diced small
>>8 Ounces Shredded Suet
>>8 Ounces Seedless Raisins
>>8 Ounces Sultanas (golden raisins)
>>12 Ounces Dried Currants
>>8 Ounces Mixed Candied Peel, finely chopped
>>12 Ounces Dark Brown Sugar
>>1/2 Cup Black Mission Figs, diced small
>>2 Oranges, grated zest & juice
>>2 Lemons, grated zest & juice
>>1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
>>7 Teaspoons Mixed Spice (see Notes)
>>1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
>>1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg 1/2 Cup Brandy (or mixture of brandy & rum)

> That actually looks good! What is the thing with suet? I still
> associate it with feeding birds in the winter. What IS suet? I
> suppose there are no acceptable substsitutions?
>
> Carol

I've already posted the full recipe in response to your later post. But
another note on suet. I suppose you could use a bit of lard, but suet is a
harder fat with a higher melting point. Both suet and "leaf lard" come
from around kidneys in beef and lamb. Beef is most often used for
desserts. Good leaf lard is actually the result of rendering suet. I
think one of the major reasons for using suet rather than lard is that it
remains in solid little pieces until the mincemeat is cooked. It makes it
far easier to mix it through. You can order suet from any good butcher,
and ask to have it put through the meat grinder. Store in freezer.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 18 Nov 2005 04:17:52 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>I've already posted the full recipe in response to your later post. But
>another note on suet. I suppose you could use a bit of lard, but suet is a
>harder fat with a higher melting point. Both suet and "leaf lard" come
>from around kidneys in beef and lamb. Beef is most often used for
>desserts. Good leaf lard is actually the result of rendering suet. I
>think one of the major reasons for using suet rather than lard is that it
>remains in solid little pieces until the mincemeat is cooked. It makes it
>far easier to mix it through. You can order suet from any good butcher,
>and ask to have it put through the meat grinder. Store in freezer.

Thanks for the recipe and the advice. Suet is readily available here.
I'll see about grinding some up. It'll be a couple months, but I'll
report back.

Thanks again,
Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 17 Nov 2005 07:35:31p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
> dis Dress?
>

>>On 18 Nov 2005 03:20:23 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>>

>>>Not oversiimplistic answer, this is the ingredient list from the recipe I
>>>use (for mincemeat):

>>Wayne, would you be willing to post the rest of the recipe? This
>>looks sooooo good. Better the more I look at it.

> Carol, this really is a very good pie. I have made mincemeat filling using
> actual minced meat as well as the suet, however, I didn't care for it. The
> suet it essential, more for texture and mouthfeel than taste.
>

>>I'm just worried about that suet.

> First off, it's pure fat! :-) Suet is the hard fat from around the
> kidneys, usually from cattle and sheep. Beef suet is the only kind I've
> ever used. In the UK it is easily bought in virtually any supermarket.
> It's almost impossible to find in US supermarkets. I order it from the
> butcher and ask them to put it through the food grinder. It's *very*
> inexpensive, and can be stored long term in the freezer.

If you can't find good suet, I think you cound substitute fat trimmed
from a packer-cut brisket. I'd probably rough-chop all the ingredients,
mix, and run them thru the meat grinder instead of finely chopping
everything.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 17 Nov 2005 08:34:13p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it zxcvbob?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Thu 17 Nov 2005 07:35:31p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel
>> in dis Dress?

>>>Wayne, would you be willing to post the rest of the recipe? This looks
>>>sooooo good. Better the more I look at it.

>> Carol, this really is a very good pie. I have made mincemeat filling
>> using actual minced meat as well as the suet, however, I didn't care
>> for it. The suet it essential, more for texture and mouthfeel than
>> taste.
>>

>>>I'm just worried about that suet.

>> First off, it's pure fat! :-) Suet is the hard fat from around the
>> kidneys, usually from cattle and sheep. Beef suet is the only kind
>> I've ever used. In the UK it is easily bought in virtually any
>> supermarket. It's almost impossible to find in US supermarkets. I
>> order it from the butcher and ask them to put it through the food
>> grinder. It's *very* inexpensive, and can be stored long term in the
>> freezer.

> If you can't find good suet, I think you cound substitute fat trimmed
> from a packer-cut brisket. I'd probably rough-chop all the ingredients,
> mix, and run them thru the meat grinder instead of finely chopping
> everything.
>
> Bob

For a proper mincemeat, all of the dried fruit in mincemeat is meant to be
whole, not chopped, much less run through the food chopper. The apples
should actually be very finely diced , no larger than 1/4", but not just
chopped up. The candied peel should definitely not be run through a food
chopper, lest it turn into a sugary goo. It's best hand chopped using a
sharp chef's knife along with some of the dry sugar to help keep it
separated. The size of the pieces should be ~1/8". Nothing but the suet
should be put through the food chopper.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Spitzmaus

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

> My SIL invited everyone to come for thanksgiving, so I volunteered to
> bring pie because it's easy to make in advance and to transport 3+
> hours up the freeway...
>
> I went to the store for ingredients this afternoon and got a big can
> of pumpkin for the pumpkin pie, a bag of fresh apples for apple pie,
> and two cans of dessert peaches to drain and use in a peach pie. There
> are going to be 20+ people there for the weekend so I need a couple
> more pies to make! Help me out please...
>
> --
> ~Karen aka Kajikit
> Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
> http://www.kajikitscorner.com
> Online photo album - http://community.webshots.com/user/kajikit

Can you stand one more suggestion? Persimmon pie, if persimmons are
available where you live.
Always a hit down this way!

Spitz
--
"Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Default Mincemeat

Wayne wrote:

> Not oversiimplistic answer, this is the ingredient list from the recipe I
> use:
>
> 1 Pound Granny Smith Apples, cored and diced small
> 8 Ounces Shredded Suet
> 8 Ounces Seedless Raisins
> 8 Ounces Sultanas (golden raisins)
> 12 Ounces Dried Currants
> 8 Ounces Mixed Candied Peel, finely chopped
> 12 Ounces Dark Brown Sugar
> 1/2 Cup Black Mission Figs, diced small
> 2 Oranges, grated zest & juice
> 2 Lemons, grated zest & juice
> 1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
> 7 Teaspoons Mixed Spice (see Notes)
> 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
> 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
> 1/2 Cup Brandy (or mixture of brandy & rum)

I think I got the following recipes off this newsgroup some years ago, and I
re-posted them here October of last year:

Mincemeat

1/3 lb. beef, boiled
2 tablespoons suet
1 cup beef broth
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup candied citrus rinds (recipe follows)
1 1/2 cup chopped apples
1 orange with rind, ground
1/2 lemon with rind, ground
1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup currants
1/4 cup cognac
1/4 cup rum

1. Grind the beef with the suet. Place in a large saucepan. Stir in the
beef broth, brown sugar, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, salt, rinds, apples,
orange, lemon, raisins, and currants.

2. Simmer until the apples are soft, about 1 hour. Cool. Stir in the cognac
and rum. Pour into a sterilized jar that has a lid. Cover and age at least 3
months in the refrigerator before using.

3. To bake, preheat the oven to 400 °F. Pour the mincemeat into a 10-inch
piecrust. A top crust will keep the pie moist but is optional. Bake for 30
minutes.

Yield: 1 10-inch pie

Candied Citrus Rinds (one ingredient of pie)

rind from 3 large oranges
rind from 1 large grapefruit
2 cups honey
1 1/2 teaspoons Ginger
1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon
Sugar

1. Scrape out inside of the fruit rind to remove as much of the white pith
as possible. Slice the rind into narrow, even sized strips.

2. Bring to a boil in a large pan of water. Simmer for 5 minutes and drain.

3. Repeat the boiling procedure 4 more times to remove the bitterness from
the fruit rind.

4. Combine the honey, ginger, cinnamon, and 1 cup water in a medium-sized
saucepan. Stir until the honey is dissolved. The heavy feeling at the bottom
of the pan will disappear. Add the rinds; cook over low heat until all the
syrup is absorbed and the peels are soft, about 1 hour.

5. Spread on waxed paper; dust with sugar. Cover with cheesecloth; let sit
until well dried. Store in an airtight jar. These will keep indefinitely.

Yield: about 8 cups.

STATE-OF-THE-UNION MINCEMEAT
California-style, fruited mincemeats

3 lbs. lean beef
1 qt. water
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup washed suet, finely chopped
3 1/2 lbs. apples
1 lb. seedless raisins
1 lb. white raisins
4 cup orange marmalade
2 qts. cider
2 tbls. cinnamon
1 teaspoon. cloves
1 teaspoon. nutmeg
3 tbls. salt

Simmer beef in water until tender (add more water if needed) . Drain. Trim
away bone and gristle. Put meat through food chopper, using medium blade.
Combine all ingredients in large kettle. Mix well. Bring to a boil; reduce
heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring often. Pour at once into hot pint
jars. Adjust lids. Process in pressure canner 60 minutes at 10 pounds
pressure (240°F) Remove jars from canner and complete seals unless closures
are self-sealing type. Makes about 10 pints. Store in cool, dark place.

CHERRY-MINCEMEAT PIE

Pastry for 2-crust pie
1 (20 oz.) can pitted tart cherries
1/2 cup sugar
Few drops red food color
2 cups prepared mincemeat
3 tbls. flour
1/2 teaspoon. salt
1 egg, beaten

Drain cherries (you should have 2 cups). Combine cherries and the sugar. Let
stand while you make pastry. Combine cherry mixture, food color, mincemeat,
flour, salt and egg. Pour into a pastry-lined 9" pie pan. Top with a lattice
crust. Bake in hot oven (425°F.) 35 to 40 minutes.

BASIC HOMEMADE MINCEMEAT PIE

You will need 4 cups homemade mincemeat for a 9" pie. Dot the filling with 1
tablespoon butter, adjust top crust, cut vents and flute edges. Brush top
with light cream, if desired. (It's a good idea to cover pie edges with a
1 1/2-inch strip of aluminum foil the first half hour of baking to prevent
excessive browning.) Bake in hot oven (425°F.) 40 to 45 minutes, or until
pastry is golden. Partially cool on rack before serving.

Bob