Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

Default Need Thanksgiving Pie recipes

On Thu 17 Nov 2005 07:35:31p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
dis Dress?

> On 18 Nov 2005 03:20:23 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Not oversiimplistic answer, this is the ingredient list from the recipe I
>>use (for mincemeat):

> Wayne, would you be willing to post the rest of the recipe? This
> looks sooooo good. Better the more I look at it.

Carol, this really is a very good pie. I have made mincemeat filling using
actual minced meat as well as the suet, however, I didn't care for it. The
suet it essential, more for texture and mouthfeel than taste.

> I'm just worried about that suet.

First off, it's pure fat! :-) Suet is the hard fat from around the
kidneys, usually from cattle and sheep. Beef suet is the only kind I've
ever used. In the UK it is easily bought in virtually any supermarket.
It's almost impossible to find in US supermarkets. I order it from the
butcher and ask them to put it through the food grinder. It's *very*
inexpensive, and can be stored long term in the freezer.

Here's the complete recipe. It's a slight variation on the Christmas
Mincemeat recipe from Delia Smith.

Take special note of the "mixed spice". It is not available in the US, but
easily made. The recipe for it is at the end. It's an essential in this
recipe.

Enjoy!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Christmas Mincemeat

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 Pound Granny Smith Apples -- cored and diced small
8 Ounces Shredded Suet
8 Ounces Seedless Raisins
8 Ounces Sultanas -- (golden raisins)
12 Ounces Dried Currants
8 Ounces Mixed Candied Peel -- finely chopped
12 Ounces Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Black Mission Figs -- diced small
2 Oranges -- grated zest & juice
2 Lemons -- grated zest & juice
1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
7 Teaspoons Mixed Spice -- (see Notes)
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
1/2 Cup Brandy -- (or mixture of brandy & rum)

Combine all ingredients, except brandy, in a large mixing bowl, stirring
them and mixing them together very thoroughly. Cover bowl loosely and
leave mixture in a cool place at least 12 hours or overnight, so the
flavors have a chance to mingle and develop.

Preheat oven to 225 degrees F. Cover bowl loosely with foil, or transfer
mincemeat to large non-reactive roaster with cover loosely fitted. Bake
in oven for 3 hours without stirring.

Remove from oven and uncover. The mincemeat will look as though it's
swimming in fat. This is how it should look. As it cools, stir it from
time to time; the fat will coagulate and instead of it being in tiny
shreds it will encase all the other ingredients.

When mincemeat is quite cold, stir in the brandy. Pack in sterilized jars
and fit lid tightly. The mincemeat will keep indefinitely in a cool, dark
cupboard, or may be refrigerated.

Yield:
"6 Pounds"

NOTES : British Mixed Spice

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground mace
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teasopon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground coriander

Blend all together and store in airtight container.
May also be used for Pumpkin Pie.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*