Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Default Mincemeat

Wayne wrote:

> Not oversiimplistic answer, this is the ingredient list from the recipe I
> use:
>
> 1 Pound Granny Smith Apples, cored and diced small
> 8 Ounces Shredded Suet
> 8 Ounces Seedless Raisins
> 8 Ounces Sultanas (golden raisins)
> 12 Ounces Dried Currants
> 8 Ounces Mixed Candied Peel, finely chopped
> 12 Ounces Dark Brown Sugar
> 1/2 Cup Black Mission Figs, diced small
> 2 Oranges, grated zest & juice
> 2 Lemons, grated zest & juice
> 1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
> 7 Teaspoons Mixed Spice (see Notes)
> 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
> 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
> 1/2 Cup Brandy (or mixture of brandy & rum)

I think I got the following recipes off this newsgroup some years ago, and I
re-posted them here October of last year:

Mincemeat

1/3 lb. beef, boiled
2 tablespoons suet
1 cup beef broth
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup candied citrus rinds (recipe follows)
1 1/2 cup chopped apples
1 orange with rind, ground
1/2 lemon with rind, ground
1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup currants
1/4 cup cognac
1/4 cup rum

1. Grind the beef with the suet. Place in a large saucepan. Stir in the
beef broth, brown sugar, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, salt, rinds, apples,
orange, lemon, raisins, and currants.

2. Simmer until the apples are soft, about 1 hour. Cool. Stir in the cognac
and rum. Pour into a sterilized jar that has a lid. Cover and age at least 3
months in the refrigerator before using.

3. To bake, preheat the oven to 400 °F. Pour the mincemeat into a 10-inch
piecrust. A top crust will keep the pie moist but is optional. Bake for 30
minutes.

Yield: 1 10-inch pie

Candied Citrus Rinds (one ingredient of pie)

rind from 3 large oranges
rind from 1 large grapefruit
2 cups honey
1 1/2 teaspoons Ginger
1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon
Sugar

1. Scrape out inside of the fruit rind to remove as much of the white pith
as possible. Slice the rind into narrow, even sized strips.

2. Bring to a boil in a large pan of water. Simmer for 5 minutes and drain.

3. Repeat the boiling procedure 4 more times to remove the bitterness from
the fruit rind.

4. Combine the honey, ginger, cinnamon, and 1 cup water in a medium-sized
saucepan. Stir until the honey is dissolved. The heavy feeling at the bottom
of the pan will disappear. Add the rinds; cook over low heat until all the
syrup is absorbed and the peels are soft, about 1 hour.

5. Spread on waxed paper; dust with sugar. Cover with cheesecloth; let sit
until well dried. Store in an airtight jar. These will keep indefinitely.

Yield: about 8 cups.

STATE-OF-THE-UNION MINCEMEAT
California-style, fruited mincemeats

3 lbs. lean beef
1 qt. water
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup washed suet, finely chopped
3 1/2 lbs. apples
1 lb. seedless raisins
1 lb. white raisins
4 cup orange marmalade
2 qts. cider
2 tbls. cinnamon
1 teaspoon. cloves
1 teaspoon. nutmeg
3 tbls. salt

Simmer beef in water until tender (add more water if needed) . Drain. Trim
away bone and gristle. Put meat through food chopper, using medium blade.
Combine all ingredients in large kettle. Mix well. Bring to a boil; reduce
heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring often. Pour at once into hot pint
jars. Adjust lids. Process in pressure canner 60 minutes at 10 pounds
pressure (240°F) Remove jars from canner and complete seals unless closures
are self-sealing type. Makes about 10 pints. Store in cool, dark place.

CHERRY-MINCEMEAT PIE

Pastry for 2-crust pie
1 (20 oz.) can pitted tart cherries
1/2 cup sugar
Few drops red food color
2 cups prepared mincemeat
3 tbls. flour
1/2 teaspoon. salt
1 egg, beaten

Drain cherries (you should have 2 cups). Combine cherries and the sugar. Let
stand while you make pastry. Combine cherry mixture, food color, mincemeat,
flour, salt and egg. Pour into a pastry-lined 9" pie pan. Top with a lattice
crust. Bake in hot oven (425°F.) 35 to 40 minutes.

BASIC HOMEMADE MINCEMEAT PIE

You will need 4 cups homemade mincemeat for a 9" pie. Dot the filling with 1
tablespoon butter, adjust top crust, cut vents and flute edges. Brush top
with light cream, if desired. (It's a good idea to cover pie edges with a
1 1/2-inch strip of aluminum foil the first half hour of baking to prevent
excessive browning.) Bake in hot oven (425°F.) 40 to 45 minutes, or until
pastry is golden. Partially cool on rack before serving.

Bob