Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Question on spices

I always by the name brand spices, some like onion powder and garlic powder
in large sizes. A friend mentioned the other day that he buys the cheapest
he can find, store brands or whatever.

I bought the more expensive stuff because I felt it was better quality,
consistent, and probably fresher. He maintains he can not tell the
difference.

Anyone have any feelings on this one way or the other?

Thanks, Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

bulk spices from an ethnic market are the cheapest and freshest, down side
is the hygiene issue... next the cheaper the bottle the better, a friend
buys her basics at dollar general and says they are fine, Lee

"Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote in message
. ..
>I always by the name brand spices, some like onion powder and garlic powder
>in large sizes. A friend mentioned the other day that he buys the cheapest
>he can find, store brands or whatever.
>
> I bought the more expensive stuff because I felt it was better quality,
> consistent, and probably fresher. He maintains he can not tell the
> difference.
>
> Anyone have any feelings on this one way or the other?
>
> Thanks, Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 11, 5:04*am, "Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote:
> I always by the name brand spices, some like onion powder and garlic powder
> in large sizes. *A friend mentioned the other day that he buys the cheapest
> he can find, store brands or whatever.
>
> I bought the more expensive stuff because I felt it was better quality,
> consistent, and probably fresher. *He maintains he can not tell the
> difference.
>
> Anyone have any feelings on this one way or the other?
>
> Thanks, *Bob-tx

It depends a lot on the spice and also in what / how it's being used.
Generally speaking you'll use less of the higher quality (more potent)
spice, making it cheaper to use than plain ole face value would tell
you.
You also have to (usually) use more of the cheaper less potent spices
making them more expensive to use than a direct comparison would lead
you to think.

A Penzeys opened up nearby and bought a few things, wow are they ever
potent, use a 1/4 or less in volume compared to regular store bought
stuff.

Garlic or onion salt? Ground pepper to use on the rub? I'll use the
bulk stuff in an eyeblink. Though higher quality stuff could make a
difference there, I wont claim different.

More potent is simply more potent. That's what higher quality and
freshness should bring.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> A Penzeys opened up nearby and bought a few things, wow are they ever
> potent, use a 1/4 or less in volume compared to regular store bought
> stuff.
>
> Garlic or onion salt? Ground pepper to use on the rub? I'll use the
> bulk stuff in an eyeblink. Though higher quality stuff could make a
> difference there, I wont claim different.
>

> More potent is simply more potent. That's what higher quality and
> freshness should bring.

The first time Cindy and I walked into a Penzeys here I told
her to buy Mexican Oregano. Now she it totally hooked on it.

But they are expensive.

Craig
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 11-May-2011, Craig Watts > wrote:

> > A Penzeys opened up nearby and bought a few things, wow are they ever
> > potent, use a 1/4 or less in volume compared to regular store bought
> > stuff.
> >
> > Garlic or onion salt? Ground pepper to use on the rub? I'll use the
> > bulk stuff in an eyeblink. Though higher quality stuff could make a
> > difference there, I wont claim different.
> >

> > More potent is simply more potent. That's what higher quality and
> > freshness should bring.

> The first time Cindy and I walked into a Penzeys here I told
> her to buy Mexican Oregano. Now she it totally hooked on it.
>
> But they are expensive.
>
> Craig

You need to check out 'Pendery's'. The quality is the same and about
a third cheaper. (http://www.penderys.com/) I shop both, but usually
buy from Pendery's. Pepper products, I get from 'Sweet Freedom Farm'.
http://www.sweetfreedomfarm.com/

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 5/11/2011 7:04 AM, Bob-tx wrote:
> I always by the name brand spices, some like onion powder and garlic
> powder in large sizes. A friend mentioned the other day that he buys the
> cheapest he can find, store brands or whatever.
>
> I bought the more expensive stuff because I felt it was better quality,
> consistent, and probably fresher. He maintains he can not tell the
> difference.
>
> Anyone have any feelings on this one way or the other?
>
> Thanks, Bob-tx

I am not real concerned with brand name. I get some spices at Penzys,
but only if I feel like it. Last week, I needed Thyme. I went to the 3
dollar stores in the neighborhood and could not find Thyme there. I
didn't want to travel the 10 miles to Penzys to get some. I ended up
getting a bulk package(plastic bag) at Cub, my local grocer. I use the
empty plastic bottle I had to keep it in.

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gz Gz is offline

On May 11, 8:04*am, "Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote:
> I always by the name brand spices, some like onion powder and garlic powder
> in large sizes. *A friend mentioned the other day that he buys the cheapest
> he can find, store brands or whatever.
>
> I bought the more expensive stuff because I felt it was better quality,
> consistent, and probably fresher. *He maintains he can not tell the
> difference.
>
> Anyone have any feelings on this one way or the other?
>
> Thanks, *Bob-tx

I bought several large shakers at my dollar store $1 ea.
Some also had salt in the mixture, and I threw those out.

My Italian store sells bulk, get as much as you need.
Italian store also sell $8 hoagies, on a WHOLE loaf of Italian bread.

Greg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote in message
. ..
> I always by the name brand spices, some like onion powder and garlic
> powder in large sizes. A friend mentioned the other day that he buys the
> cheapest he can find, store brands or whatever.
>
> I bought the more expensive stuff because I felt it was better quality,
> consistent, and probably fresher. He maintains he can not tell the
> difference.
>
> Anyone have any feelings on this one way or the other?
>
> Thanks, Bob-tx

Let's make on distinction first. There are herbs and there are spices.
With spices, I find little difference and they last a fairly long times,
especially if you grind as needed. Most spices have a long shelf life of
two or more years.

Herbs tend to lose their flavors much faster, 6 to 12 months. I o find that
the higher priced is often more potent and a bit higher quality , but that
is not always true. A local place has very good stuff and a high turnover
to keep them fresh. Try the lower costs and see how your local market is.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 5/11/2011 7:53 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2011 16:48:53 -0500, bbq wrote:
>
>> I went to the 3 dollar stores in the neighborhood and could
>> not find Thyme there.

> You have $3 stores?
>
> Damn - you do live in an expensive area. Especially if they don't
> carry thyme for $3.
>
> -sw

I was surprised to that they had rosemary, but not thyme. We have a
"Quality of Life". I would rather have brisket at $1.88, then the $2.98
we have to pay here. Instead of the "quality of life" Minnesota is
supposed to be.

BBQ