FoodBanter.com

-   -   Weird question about spices (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/48373-weird-question-about-spices.html)

Robyn Rosenthal 17-12-2004 02:47 PM

Weird question about spices

Last night I made a pot of stew with a lot of Indian spices in it and within a
few minutes of eating it, my nose was completely stopped up and by this morning
I feel as if I have a cold or like I have bad pollen allergies.

I have never heard of food causing the symptoms of air-borne allergies and I
was just wondering if anyone else has.

The ingredients we

pork
white wine
chicken stock (homemade)
carrots
celery
garlic
ginger
green cardamon
white cardamon
saffron
cumin
tumeric
black pepper
coriander seeds

The spices were all whole seeds that I ground in a coffee grinder.

Thanks!
***********************************
Robyn Lori Rosenthal
Sterling Cotons and Park Place Grooming
Sterling, VA USA
***********************************

Andrew H. Carter 17-12-2004 05:25 PM

On 17 Dec 2004 14:47:44 GMT, (Robyn
Rosenthal) scribbled some thoughts:

>Last night I made a pot of stew with a lot of Indian spices in it and within a
>few minutes of eating it, my nose was completely stopped up and by this morning
>I feel as if I have a cold or like I have bad pollen allergies.
>
>I have never heard of food causing the symptoms of air-borne allergies and I
>was just wondering if anyone else has.
>
>The ingredients we
>
>pork
>white wine
>chicken stock (homemade)
>carrots
>celery
>garlic
>ginger
>green cardamon
>white cardamon
>saffron
>cumin
>tumeric
>black pepper
>coriander seeds
>
>The spices were all whole seeds that I ground in a coffee grinder.
>
>Thanks!
>***********************************
>Robyn Lori Rosenthal
>Sterling Cotons and Park Place Grooming
>Sterling, VA USA
>***********************************

If you haven't used those spices before, then you could be
allergic to them. If you have, but not all together in one
dish or at one time, then there could be a chemical reaction
to their interaction. Or it could be coincidence and you
just have a cold, it is that time of the year.

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\

Andrew H. Carter 17-12-2004 05:25 PM

On 17 Dec 2004 14:47:44 GMT, (Robyn
Rosenthal) scribbled some thoughts:

>Last night I made a pot of stew with a lot of Indian spices in it and within a
>few minutes of eating it, my nose was completely stopped up and by this morning
>I feel as if I have a cold or like I have bad pollen allergies.
>
>I have never heard of food causing the symptoms of air-borne allergies and I
>was just wondering if anyone else has.
>
>The ingredients we
>
>pork
>white wine
>chicken stock (homemade)
>carrots
>celery
>garlic
>ginger
>green cardamon
>white cardamon
>saffron
>cumin
>tumeric
>black pepper
>coriander seeds
>
>The spices were all whole seeds that I ground in a coffee grinder.
>
>Thanks!
>***********************************
>Robyn Lori Rosenthal
>Sterling Cotons and Park Place Grooming
>Sterling, VA USA
>***********************************

If you haven't used those spices before, then you could be
allergic to them. If you have, but not all together in one
dish or at one time, then there could be a chemical reaction
to their interaction. Or it could be coincidence and you
just have a cold, it is that time of the year.

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\

Doug Freyburger 17-12-2004 05:55 PM

Robyn Rosenthal wrote:

> Last night I made a pot of stew with a lot of Indian spices in it and

within a
> few minutes of eating it, my nose was completely stopped up and by

this
> morning I feel as if I have a cold or like I have bad pollen

allergies.

> I have never heard of food causing the symptoms of air-borne

allergies and
> I was just wondering if anyone else has.

Wheat causes me sniffles like that among other issues and I've
encountered plenty of other people whose sniffles are cured by going
wheat-free or corn-free. I find it easy to believe similar would
happen
with spices for some people.

Likely it was an intolerance reaction to one of the spices you have
not tried before.

Doug Freyburger 17-12-2004 05:55 PM

Katra 17-12-2004 06:28 PM

In article >,
(Robyn Rosenthal) wrote:

> Last night I made a pot of stew with a lot of Indian spices in it and within
> few minutes of eating it, my nose was completely stopped up and by this
> morning
> I feel as if I have a cold or like I have bad pollen allergies.
>
> I have never heard of food causing the symptoms of air-borne allergies and I
> was just wondering if anyone else has.
>
> The ingredients we
>
> pork
> white wine
> chicken stock (homemade)
> carrots
> celery
> garlic
> ginger
> green cardamon
> white cardamon
> saffron
> cumin
> tumeric
> black pepper
> coriander seeds
>
> The spices were all whole seeds that I ground in a coffee grinder.
>
> Thanks!
> ***********************************
> Robyn Lori Rosenthal
> Sterling Cotons and Park Place Grooming
> Sterling, VA USA
> ***********************************

You are probably allergic to one of them.
The only way to determine which one would be to try each one
individually and check your reactions to them.

Just be careful. Some food allergies can be deadly.
--
K.

Katra 17-12-2004 06:28 PM

Barbtail 17-12-2004 08:00 PM

>coriander seeds

One of my girlfriends broke out in a rash after eating fresh coriander leaves
in a Chinese chicken salad. Which of these spices are new to you?

Also, it might be something you have had before but the reaction wasn't as
pronounced. Typically, each exposure causes a worse reaction. I'd call my DR
and tell him about the experience. Perhaps he can find out what troubled you.
That next reaction could be quite serious. My husband has a nut allergy and
I nearly lost him a few years ago so please be careful *smiles*.

This is a good site for more information:
The Anaphylaxis Campaign http://www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/dine.html

Be safe!

Barb Anne

Barbtail 17-12-2004 08:00 PM

Robyn Rosenthal 17-12-2004 08:01 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

I am gluten intolerant, so I am usually pretty careful about what I eat, but I
was pretty freaked out by having what seemed like air-borne allergy problems
from food.

I suspect it was either the coriander seed or the cardamon and will do some
experiments to see which one it was.

THANKS AGAIN:)Robyn

Robyn Rosenthal 17-12-2004 08:08 PM

Robyn Rosenthal 17-12-2004 08:08 PM

Robyn Rosenthal 17-12-2004 08:10 PM

>From: (Barbtail)

>>coriander seeds

>One of my girlfriends broke out in a rash after eating fresh coriander leaves
>in a Chinese chicken salad. Which of these spices are new to you?
>
>Also, it might be something you have had before but the reaction wasn't as
>pronounced. Typically, each exposure causes a worse reaction. I'd call my DR
>and tell him about the experience. Perhaps he can find out what troubled
>you.
> That next reaction could be quite serious. My husband has a nut allergy
>and
>I nearly lost him a few years ago so please be careful *smiles*.
>

>This is a good site for more information:
>The Anaphylaxis Campaign
http://www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/dine.html

>Be safe!
>
>Barb Anne

I have never had a problem with the leaves, but the seeds seem to be the
logical culprit since they were the only new thing.

Thanks for the warning, I will check with my doctor before I try to figure it
out via experimentation:)Robyn

Robyn Rosenthal 17-12-2004 08:10 PM

Julia Altshuler 17-12-2004 11:49 PM

Robyn Rosenthal wrote:

> I have never heard of food causing the symptoms of air-borne allergies and I
> was just wondering if anyone else has.

Oh, sure. It happens all the time and isn't that unusual. All sorts of
things can be allergens including all sorts of foods, and the allergic
reaction can be all sorts of symptoms including the classic stuffed head
and sneezing. You could be allergic to one of the spices in your stew.
You could also have caught cold coincidentally with eating the stew.
Or you could be reacting to something airborne that has nothing to do
with the stew. Furthermore, sometimes one allergen isn't enough to
cause a full-blown allergy attack by itself, but a few allergens in
combination will do it. Welcome to the wonderful world of allergies.
Now you have some sleuthing to do to figure out what caused your
symptoms. Go take an antihistamine; don't drive until the effects have
worn off, and feel better soon.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler 17-12-2004 11:49 PM

pennyaline 18-12-2004 06:24 AM

"Andrew H. Carter" wrote:

<snip>

> If you haven't used those spices before, then you could be
> allergic to them.

If you've never used someone before, then you AREN'T allergic to it!
Allergies develop with multiple exposures, not from sudden one-time use.

> If you have, but not all together in one
> dish or at one time, then there could be a chemical reaction
> to their interaction. Or it could be coincidence and you
> just have a cold, it is that time of the year.

Yeah, it could be a cold and probably is. It could also be an allergic
reaction. Now before you say "Didn't you just that it couldn't be???" ...
it's not likely that the OP has never been exposed to any of the protein
compounds of the ingredients (or similar compounds) in the course of a
lifetime, and could be becoming increasingly reactive to them now.

<Or, it could be something else>

pennyaline 18-12-2004 06:24 AM

<snip>

pennyaline 18-12-2004 06:31 AM

I wrote:

> If you've never used someone before...

DOH!!

Carry on with everything after that ;)

pennyaline 18-12-2004 06:31 AM

Katra 18-12-2004 07:52 AM

In article >,
"pennyaline" > wrote:

> "Andrew H. Carter" wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > If you haven't used those spices before, then you could be
> > allergic to them.

> If you've never used someone before, then you AREN'T allergic to it!
> Allergies develop with multiple exposures, not from sudden one-time use.

I disagree.

The FIRST time I ate white woodears, I broke out in hives...
I tried them a second time, same results. ;-)

It is possible to have an allergic reaction first time out on a new food
if it's allergenic properties are similar to something that you are
already allergic to.

It can get pretty complex.

> > If you have, but not all together in one
> > dish or at one time, then there could be a chemical reaction
> > to their interaction. Or it could be coincidence and you
> > just have a cold, it is that time of the year.

> Yeah, it could be a cold and probably is. It could also be an allergic
> reaction. Now before you say "Didn't you just that it couldn't be???" ...
> it's not likely that the OP has never been exposed to any of the protein
> compounds of the ingredients (or similar compounds) in the course of a
> lifetime, and could be becoming increasingly reactive to them now.
>
> <Or, it could be something else>

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Scotty 18-12-2004 08:02 AM

"pennyaline" > wrote in
message ...
> "Andrew H. Carter" wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> If you haven't used those spices before, then you could be
>> allergic to them.

> If you've never used someone before, then you AREN'T allergic to it!
> Allergies develop with multiple exposures, not from sudden one-time use.

That's ridiculous (not the someone part). It's common to react to an
allergen on first exposure. Your advice could kill someone if they believed
what you say.

Scott.

Scotty 18-12-2004 08:02 AM

"pennyaline" > wrote in
message ...

Andrew H. Carter 18-12-2004 08:52 AM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:24:18 -0700, "pennyaline"
> scribbled
some thoughts:

>"Andrew H. Carter" wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> If you haven't used those spices before, then you could be
>> allergic to them.

>If you've never used someone before, then you AREN'T allergic to it!
>Allergies develop with multiple exposures, not from sudden one-time use.

So, that means that a person who has never been stung by a
bee is not allergic to tthe sting?! What if the get stung
and go into shock?

>> If you have, but not all together in one
>> dish or at one time, then there could be a chemical reaction
>> to their interaction. Or it could be coincidence and you
>> just have a cold, it is that time of the year.

>Yeah, it could be a cold and probably is. It could also be an allergic
>reaction. Now before you say "Didn't you just that it couldn't be???" ...
>it's not likely that the OP has never been exposed to any of the protein
>compounds of the ingredients (or similar compounds) in the course of a
>lifetime, and could be becoming increasingly reactive to them now.
>
><Or, it could be something else>

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\

Andrew H. Carter 18-12-2004 08:52 AM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:24:18 -0700, "pennyaline"
> scribbled
some thoughts:

>"Andrew H. Carter" wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> If you haven't used those spices before, then you could be
>> allergic to them.

>If you've never used someone before, then you AREN'T allergic to it!
>Allergies develop with multiple exposures, not from sudden one-time use.

So, that means that a person who has never been stung by a
bee is not allergic to tthe sting?! What if the get stung
and go into shock?

>> If you have, but not all together in one
>> dish or at one time, then there could be a chemical reaction
>> to their interaction. Or it could be coincidence and you
>> just have a cold, it is that time of the year.

>Yeah, it could be a cold and probably is. It could also be an allergic
>reaction. Now before you say "Didn't you just that it couldn't be???" ...
>it's not likely that the OP has never been exposed to any of the protein
>compounds of the ingredients (or similar compounds) in the course of a
>lifetime, and could be becoming increasingly reactive to them now.
>
><Or, it could be something else>

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\

Andrew H. Carter 18-12-2004 08:54 AM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:24:18 -0700, "pennyaline"
> scribbled
some thoughts:

>"Andrew H. Carter" wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> If you haven't used those spices before, then you could be
>> allergic to them.

>If you've never used someone before, then you AREN'T allergic to it!
>Allergies develop with multiple exposures, not from sudden one-time use.

I'd also like to add, that while one may not have an
allergic reaction to a bee sting, it doesn't mean that they
won't get localized swelling as that it the nature of the
venom.

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\

Andrew H. Carter 18-12-2004 08:54 AM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:24:18 -0700, "pennyaline"
> scribbled
some thoughts:

>"Andrew H. Carter" wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> If you haven't used those spices before, then you could be
>> allergic to them.

>If you've never used someone before, then you AREN'T allergic to it!
>Allergies develop with multiple exposures, not from sudden one-time use.

I'd also like to add, that while one may not have an
allergic reaction to a bee sting, it doesn't mean that they
won't get localized swelling as that it the nature of the
venom.

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\

Rich 18-12-2004 02:29 PM

"Robyn Rosenthal" > wrote in message
> >From: (Barbtail)

>>>coriander seeds

>>One of my girlfriends broke out in a rash after eating fresh coriander
>>leaves
>>in a Chinese chicken salad. Which of these spices are new to you?
>>
>>Also, it might be something you have had before but the reaction wasn't as
>>pronounced. Typically, each exposure causes a worse reaction. I'd call my
>>DR
>>and tell him about the experience. Perhaps he can find out what troubled
>>you.
>> That next reaction could be quite serious. My husband has a nut allergy
>>and
>>I nearly lost him a few years ago so please be careful *smiles*.
>>

>>This is a good site for more information:
>>The Anaphylaxis Campaign
http://www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/dine.html

>>Be safe!
>>
>>Barb Anne
>>

> I have never had a problem with the leaves, but the seeds seem to be the
> logical culprit since they were the only new thing.
>
> Thanks for the warning, I will check with my doctor before I try to figure
> it
> out via experimentation:)Robyn

I'm a registered nurse with 25 years of emergency room experience. I can
tell you that a call or visit to your primary-care physician in this case is
not likely to be helpful. Your doctor, with only your report of your
symptoms and your recipe, will not be able to determine whether your problem
is allergic in nature, or just a co-incidental upper respiratory infection.
There are tests for allergies, but they are the tools of specialists, and it
is far to early in your case to go to the trouble and expense of a referral.
Even when a serious and obviously allergic reaction results in an ER visit,
we advise the patient that a determination of the allergen is not always
easy and not even always necessary. Often, the allergen is never identified,
and the patient never suffers a recurrance of the reaction.

Oh, and experimentation to find what you are allergic to is premature when
you don't even know if your problem is allergic. My advice is to go on using
whatever spices you find tasty, and if your symptoms recur, THEN is the time
to begin the detective work, perhaps with the help of an allergist if the
reaction is severe. Until then, enjoy your food and don't feel the need to
be hypervigilant for symptoms.

--Rich - allergic to seafoods, damnit.

Rich 18-12-2004 02:29 PM

Barbtail 18-12-2004 06:51 PM

>That's ridiculous (not the someone part). It's common to react to an
>allergen on first exposure. Your advice could kill someone if they believed
>what you say.
>
>Scott.

Yes and no. My daughter is allergic to bee stings, for example. The first time
she was stung there was just some slight swelling and local pain - more than
normal but not life threatening. The next time she was stung I had to call 911
as she was having trouble breathing. Succesive exposures cause stronger
reactions.

*cheers*

Barb Anne

Barbtail 18-12-2004 06:51 PM

Barbtail 18-12-2004 07:04 PM

>I'm a registered nurse with 25 years of emergency room experience. I can
>tell you that a call or visit to your primary-care physician in this case is
>not likely to be helpful.

It is better to recommend this person seek professional medical advice than to
rely on laymens in a NG. The DR would likely refer her to an allergist, as you
say, and then tests can be done, if necessary. My experience with my husband
did perhaps make me over-cautious. Better safe than sorry though.

*smiles*

Barb Anne

Barbtail 18-12-2004 07:04 PM

Arri London 19-12-2004 12:19 AM

Katra wrote:

> In article >,
> "pennyaline" > wrote:
>
> > "Andrew H. Carter" wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > If you haven't used those spices before, then you could be
> > > allergic to them.

> > If you've never used someone before, then you AREN'T allergic to it!
> > Allergies develop with multiple exposures, not from sudden one-time use.

> I disagree.
>
> The FIRST time I ate white woodears, I broke out in hives...

But you'd probably eaten other fungi before that. Could be shared
antigens.

> I tried them a second time, same results. ;-)

That was daft of course.

> It is possible to have an allergic reaction first time out on a new food
> if it's allergenic properties are similar to something that you are
> already allergic to.

Yes but then as far as your immune system is concerned it isn't a new
food.

It's not possible to be allergic to something that is completely novel.
There must be exposure to the antigen to get the mechanism going and
that mechanism isn't that quick the first time. Subsequent exposures
result in a much shorter time to reaction.

> It can get pretty complex.

Immunology always is.

> > > If you have, but not all together in one
> > > dish or at one time, then there could be a chemical reaction
> > > to their interaction. Or it could be coincidence and you
> > > just have a cold, it is that time of the year.

> > Yeah, it could be a cold and probably is. It could also be an allergic
> > reaction. Now before you say "Didn't you just that it couldn't be???" ...
> > it's not likely that the OP has never been exposed to any of the protein
> > compounds of the ingredients (or similar compounds) in the course of a
> > lifetime, and could be becoming increasingly reactive to them now.
> >
> > <Or, it could be something else>

My first thought was for the sulphites in the white wine.

Arri London 19-12-2004 12:19 AM

Katra wrote:

> In article >,
> "pennyaline" > wrote:
>
> > "Andrew H. Carter" wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > If you haven't used those spices before, then you could be
> > > allergic to them.

> > If you've never used someone before, then you AREN'T allergic to it!
> > Allergies develop with multiple exposures, not from sudden one-time use.

> I disagree.
>
> The FIRST time I ate white woodears, I broke out in hives...

But you'd probably eaten other fungi before that. Could be shared
antigens.

> I tried them a second time, same results. ;-)

That was daft of course.

> It is possible to have an allergic reaction first time out on a new food
> if it's allergenic properties are similar to something that you are
> already allergic to.

Yes but then as far as your immune system is concerned it isn't a new
food.

It's not possible to be allergic to something that is completely novel.
There must be exposure to the antigen to get the mechanism going and
that mechanism isn't that quick the first time. Subsequent exposures
result in a much shorter time to reaction.

> It can get pretty complex.

Immunology always is.

Arri London 19-12-2004 12:22 AM

"Andrew H. Carter" wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:24:18 -0700, "pennyaline"
> > scribbled
> some thoughts:
>

> >"Andrew H. Carter" wrote:
> >
> ><snip>
> >
> >> If you haven't used those spices before, then you could be
> >> allergic to them.

> >If you've never used someone before, then you AREN'T allergic to it!
> >Allergies develop with multiple exposures, not from sudden one-time use.
> >

> So, that means that a person who has never been stung by a
> bee is not allergic to tthe sting?! What if the get stung
> and go into shock?

Then it wasn't the first time that person had been exposed to the
proteins in bee venom. If they share antigens with something else,
someone who has never been stung before possibly could get a nasty
reaction.

Arri London 19-12-2004 12:22 AM

Arri London 19-12-2004 12:25 AM

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Robyn Rosenthal wrote:
>
> > I have never heard of food causing the symptoms of air-borne allergies and I
> > was just wondering if anyone else has.

> Oh, sure. It happens all the time and isn't that unusual. All sorts of
> things can be allergens including all sorts of foods, and the allergic
> reaction can be all sorts of symptoms including the classic stuffed head
> and sneezing. You could be allergic to one of the spices in your stew.
> You could also have caught cold coincidentally with eating the stew.
> Or you could be reacting to something airborne that has nothing to do
> with the stew. Furthermore, sometimes one allergen isn't enough to
> cause a full-blown allergy attack by itself, but a few allergens in
> combination will do it. Welcome to the wonderful world of allergies.
> Now you have some sleuthing to do to figure out what caused your
> symptoms. Go take an antihistamine; don't drive until the effects have
> worn off, and feel better soon.
>
> --Lia

Then we have the case of a colleague who *knew* she was allergic to crab
(and other crustaceans) and ate some anyway at an office party!
Developed hives, so she took an antihistamine and we drove her to
Casualty.
No idea why someone would do something so daft!

Arri London 19-12-2004 12:25 AM

pennyaline 19-12-2004 02:33 AM

I'll piggyback onto dear "Barbtail":

> Someone else (I forget who) wrote:
> >That's ridiculous (not the someone part). It's common to react to an
> >allergen on first exposure. Your advice could kill someone if they

believed
> >what you say.
> >
> >Scott.

It's always good to know that my training stands in good stead.

Scott, NO ONE has had an allergic reaction to something they have NEVER been
exposed to before. It's a matter of how the immune system functions, and all
of your lay misconceptions won't undo that ;)

Chemistry is such, though, that one can have a first exposure to a substance
anywhere that it occurs in nature or science/manufacturing. But even in that
case, the first, the very first exposure will not cause an allergic
reaction. It can't!