Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Meat Loaf with Lipton Onion soup mix

SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
Lipton
1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
2 lbs. ground beef
¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
2 eggs
¾ cup water
1/3 cup ketchup
Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

US Janet wrote:

> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
> Lipton
> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
> 2 lbs. ground beef
> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
> 2 eggs
> ¾ cup water
> 1/3 cup ketchup
> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes

Thank you, will give it a try...!!!

:-)

--
GM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 7:30:10 PM UTC-5, US Janet wrote:
> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
> Lipton
> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
> 2 lbs. ground beef
> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
> 2 eggs
> ¾ cup water
> 1/3 cup ketchup
> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes

"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
--Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009

> Janet US

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/26/2021 8:30 PM, US Janet wrote:

> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
> Lipton
> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
> 2 lbs. ground beef
> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
> 2 eggs
> ¾ cup water
> 1/3 cup ketchup
> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes
>
> Janet US

Brings back memories. I remember having something similar years ago.
The Lipton soup was used for everything from stew to a dip with sour
cream.

When I make meatloaf today I use dried toasted onions. Available from
many sources. Instead of water I use both ketchup and sour cream.

https://tinyurl.com/6mzamn8s

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/26/2021 8:30 PM, US Janet wrote:

> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
> Lipton
> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
> 2 lbs. ground beef
> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
> 2 eggs
> ¾ cup water
> 1/3 cup ketchup
> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes
>
> Janet US

Thank you!

I will admit to never having made this recipe but hey, if I think to
look for 2019 <G> Lipton Onion Soup Mix I'll give it a try!

I do have an observation from my first couple of times making meat loaf
as a youngster, for those who don't know any better. Despite the term
"loaf", don't think of it like a loaf of bread. The meat isn't going to
rise. My mother made meat loaf in a bread pan. Swimming in fat. She
lifted it out and let it drain and it was really, very very bland and
still rather greasy. Ugh.

I didn't really know how else to cook it until I discovered a small wire
rack I could place in the pan to hold the loaf and let fat drain off.
Nice moist meatloaf, not greasy. And oh boy, you can add all sorts of
seasonings and stuff!

I've heard of forming it into loaves and placing it on a slotted broiler
pan in the oven, of course. I haven't tried that yet. I really don't
make meat loaf very often. When I do, I add rolled oats as one of the
binders rather than bread crumbs.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2021 21:52:42 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/26/2021 8:30 PM, US Janet wrote:
>>
>> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
>> Lipton
>> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
>> 2 lbs. ground beef
>> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
>> 2 eggs
>> ¾ cup water
>> 1/3 cup ketchup
>> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
>> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
>> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes
>>
>> Janet US
>>

>Thank you!
>
>I will admit to never having made this recipe but hey, if I think to
>look for 2019 <G> Lipton Onion Soup Mix I'll give it a try!
>
>I do have an observation from my first couple of times making meat loaf
>as a youngster, for those who don't know any better. Despite the term
>"loaf", don't think of it like a loaf of bread. The meat isn't going to
>rise. My mother made meat loaf in a bread pan. Swimming in fat. She
>lifted it out and let it drain and it was really, very very bland and
>still rather greasy. Ugh.
>
>I didn't really know how else to cook it until I discovered a small wire
>rack I could place in the pan to hold the loaf and let fat drain off.
>Nice moist meatloaf, not greasy. And oh boy, you can add all sorts of
>seasonings and stuff!
>
>I've heard of forming it into loaves and placing it on a slotted broiler
>pan in the oven, of course. I haven't tried that yet. I really don't
>make meat loaf very often. When I do, I add rolled oats as one of the
>binders rather than bread crumbs.
>
>Jill

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2021 21:44:09 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 5/26/2021 8:30 PM, US Janet wrote:
>>
>> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
>> Lipton
>> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
>> 2 lbs. ground beef
>> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
>> 2 eggs
>> ¾ cup water
>> 1/3 cup ketchup
>> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
>> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
>> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes
>>
>> Janet US
>>

>Brings back memories. I remember having something similar years ago.
>The Lipton soup was used for everything from stew to a dip with sour
>cream.
>
>When I make meatloaf today I use dried toasted onions. Available from
>many sources. Instead of water I use both ketchup and sour cream.
>
>https://tinyurl.com/6mzamn8s

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2021 17:34:12 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 7:30:10 PM UTC-5, US Janet wrote:
>> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
>> Lipton
>> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
>> 2 lbs. ground beef
>> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
>> 2 eggs
>> ¾ cup water
>> 1/3 cup ketchup
>> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
>> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
>> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes
>>

>"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
>--Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009
>>
>> Janet US
>>

>--Bryan

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/26/2021 9:52 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I will admit to never having made this recipe but hey, if I think to
> look for 2019 <G> Lipton Onion Soup Mix I'll give it a try!
>
> I do have an observation from my first couple of times making meat loaf
> as a youngster, for those who don't know any better.Â* Despite the term
> "loaf", don't think of it like a loaf of bread.Â* The meat isn't going to
> rise.Â* My mother made meat loaf in a bread pan.Â* Swimming in fat.Â* She
> lifted it out and let it drain and it was really, very very bland and
> still rather greasy.Â* Ugh.
>
> I didn't really know how else to cook it until I discovered a small wire
> rack I could place in the pan to hold the loaf and let fat drain off.
> Nice moist meatloaf, not greasy.Â* And oh boy, you can add all sorts of
> seasonings and stuff!
>
> I've heard of forming it into loaves and placing it on a slotted broiler
> pan in the oven, of course.Â* I haven't tried that yet.Â* I really don't
> make meat loaf very often.Â* When I do, I add rolled oats as one of the
> binders rather than bread crumbs.
>
> Jill

I use either a cast iron pan or any baking dish. I form a sort of loaf,
more like a mound, not square like a loaf pan.

Stick the meat in the middle. Then I cut up potatoes and peeled sweet
potatoes to bite sie and put them in the pan on the side of the loaf.

Oven about 350 for an hour. After 30 or 40 minutes I'll take a spoon
and mix up the potatoes so they cook more evenly on all sides.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2021 18:30:03 -0600, US Janet >
wrote:

>SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
>Lipton
>1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
>2 lbs. ground beef
>¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
>2 eggs
>¾ cup water
>1/3 cup ketchup
>Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
>Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
>Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes
>
>Janet US

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2021 22:17:08 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 5/26/2021 9:52 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> I will admit to never having made this recipe but hey, if I think to
>> look for 2019 <G> Lipton Onion Soup Mix I'll give it a try!
>>
>> I do have an observation from my first couple of times making meat loaf
>> as a youngster, for those who don't know any better.* Despite the term
>> "loaf", don't think of it like a loaf of bread.* The meat isn't going to
>> rise.* My mother made meat loaf in a bread pan.* Swimming in fat.* She
>> lifted it out and let it drain and it was really, very very bland and
>> still rather greasy.* Ugh.
>>
>> I didn't really know how else to cook it until I discovered a small wire
>> rack I could place in the pan to hold the loaf and let fat drain off.
>> Nice moist meatloaf, not greasy.* And oh boy, you can add all sorts of
>> seasonings and stuff!
>>
>> I've heard of forming it into loaves and placing it on a slotted broiler
>> pan in the oven, of course.* I haven't tried that yet.* I really don't
>> make meat loaf very often.* When I do, I add rolled oats as one of the
>> binders rather than bread crumbs.
>>
>> Jill

>I use either a cast iron pan or any baking dish. I form a sort of loaf,
>more like a mound, not square like a loaf pan.
>
>Stick the meat in the middle. Then I cut up potatoes and peeled sweet
>potatoes to bite sie and put them in the pan on the side of the loaf.
>
>Oven about 350 for an hour. After 30 or 40 minutes I'll take a spoon
>and mix up the potatoes so they cook more evenly on all sides.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2021 22:17:08 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 5/26/2021 9:52 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> I will admit to never having made this recipe but hey, if I think to
>> look for 2019 <G> Lipton Onion Soup Mix I'll give it a try!
>>
>> I do have an observation from my first couple of times making meat loaf
>> as a youngster, for those who don't know any better.* Despite the term
>> "loaf", don't think of it like a loaf of bread.* The meat isn't going to
>> rise.* My mother made meat loaf in a bread pan.* Swimming in fat.* She
>> lifted it out and let it drain and it was really, very very bland and
>> still rather greasy.* Ugh.
>>
>> I didn't really know how else to cook it until I discovered a small wire
>> rack I could place in the pan to hold the loaf and let fat drain off.
>> Nice moist meatloaf, not greasy.* And oh boy, you can add all sorts of
>> seasonings and stuff!
>>
>> I've heard of forming it into loaves and placing it on a slotted broiler
>> pan in the oven, of course.* I haven't tried that yet.* I really don't
>> make meat loaf very often.* When I do, I add rolled oats as one of the
>> binders rather than bread crumbs.
>>
>> Jill

>I use either a cast iron pan or any baking dish. I form a sort of loaf,
>more like a mound, not square like a loaf pan.
>
>Stick the meat in the middle. Then I cut up potatoes and peeled sweet
>potatoes to bite sie and put them in the pan on the side of the loaf.
>
>Oven about 350 for an hour. After 30 or 40 minutes I'll take a spoon
>and mix up the potatoes so they cook more evenly on all sides.

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/05/2021 02:52, jmcquown wrote:

> I've heard of forming it into loaves and placing it on a slotted broiler
> pan in the oven, of course.Â* I haven't tried that yet.Â* I really don't
> make meat loaf very often.Â* When I do, I add rolled oats as one of the
> binders rather than bread crumbs.

I don't use bread crumbs, and I'm allergic to oats, so I use barley,
which I cook before adding it to the meat and egg mixture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 8:30:10 PM UTC-4, US Janet wrote:
> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
> Lipton
> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
> 2 lbs. ground beef
> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
> 2 eggs
> ¾ cup water
> 1/3 cup ketchup
> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes

It probably tasted great! I remember my mom made something like that back in the 70s. I think she used chili sauce, though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/26/2021 8:30 PM, US Janet wrote:

> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
> Lipton
> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
> 2 lbs. ground beef
> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
> 2 eggs
> ¾ cup water
> 1/3 cup ketchup
> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes
>
> Janet US

Sounds good. I've always been meaning to try that but still haven't.
I've only used the soup mix with sour cream for a good dip.

Other than onions, it also contains other good flavors.
(Natural and artificial flavors)

One addition I always do is to slather the formed meat loaf with either
plain ketchup or a mix of ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Put it on as
heavy as possible *before* baking. Gives it time to somewhat caramelize
and acquire a better taste.

If that coating turns brown or blackened, you've nailed it.
Bake at a higher temp for a shorter time to blacken the "glaze."

Ketchup added to meat loaf after cooking is not good to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan Simmons wrote:

> US Janet wrote:
>> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
>> Lipton
>> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
>> 2 lbs. ground beef
>> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
>> 2 eggs
>> ¾ cup water
>> 1/3 cup ketchup
>> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
>> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
>> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes

> "The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
> --Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009

Funny: I think the real 1960s might have baked that meat loaf in a Jello
mold for fancy presentation.

It sounds like an old Betty Crocker thing to do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 6:24:24 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:
>
> > US Janet wrote:
> >> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
> >> Lipton
> >> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
> >> 2 lbs. ground beef
> >> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
> >> 2 eggs
> >> ¾ cup water
> >> 1/3 cup ketchup
> >> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
> >> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
> >> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes

> > "The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
> > --Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009

> Funny: I think the real 1960s might have baked that meat loaf in a Jello
> mold for fancy presentation.
>
> It sounds like an old Betty Crocker thing to do.

Or slopped some Heinz Chili sauce on top about 15 before taking it out
of the oven. Meat loaf isn't much better than a trough full of slop.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2021 18:30:03 -0600, US Janet wrote:

> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
> Lipton
> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
> 2 lbs. ground beef
> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
> 2 eggs
> ¾ cup water
> 1/3 cup ketchup
> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes

This begs for a beef gravy (not tomato). It's basically how I make
impromptu salisbury steak. But I make 1/4lb patties, no eggs. Beef
gravy, sometimes with shrooms.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 08:59:22 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 26 May 2021 18:30:03 -0600, US Janet wrote:
>
>> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
>> Lipton
>> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
>> 2 lbs. ground beef
>> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
>> 2 eggs
>> ¾ cup water
>> 1/3 cup ketchup
>> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
>> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
>> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes

>This begs for a beef gravy (not tomato). It's basically how I make
>impromptu salisbury steak. But I make 1/4lb patties, no eggs. Beef
>gravy, sometimes with shrooms.
>
>-sw

Good idea. thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2021 17:34:12 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 7:30:10 PM UTC-5, US Janet wrote:
>> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
>> Lipton
>> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
>> 2 lbs. ground beef
>> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
>> 2 eggs
>> ¾ cup water
>> 1/3 cup ketchup
>> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
>> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
>> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes
>>

> "The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
> --Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009

You have a better memory than mine. I doesn't sound like me. That
must have been around my "Smartass Phase".

Which never ended.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2021 07:24:12 -0400, Gary wrote:

> Bryan Simmons wrote:
>
>> US Janet wrote:
>>> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
>>> Lipton
>>> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
>>> 2 lbs. ground beef
>>> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
>>> 2 eggs
>>> ¾ cup water
>>> 1/3 cup ketchup
>>> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
>>> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
>>> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes

>> "The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
>> --Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009

> Funny: I think the real 1960s might have baked that meat loaf in a Jello
> mold for fancy presentation.
>
> It sounds like an old Betty Crocker thing to do.

This is my "Birthday Recipe" from Sunset Magazine, July 1967 (The
height of the Summer of Love).

>Summer of Love Buffet Loaf
>Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.
>
>Mrs. J.C Grigsby, Lehigh Acres, Florida, says this is a dish she
>serves often for bridge luncheons. With it she serves fruit
>salad, celery and carrot sticks.

Dammit, they didn't use the Oxford Comma!!!

>Green Layer:
>---------------------------------
>1 package lime-flavored gelatin
>1 cup boiling water
>3/4 cup ice
>1 teaspoon salt
>3 tablespoons vinegar
>1 cup grated cucumber
>1/4 cup chopped green pepper
>1/2 cup chopped celery
>
>Disolve gelatin in hot water. Add cold water, salt, and vinegar.
>Chill until slightly thickened. Add vegetables and pour into
>mold. Chill until firm.
>
>Red Layer
>------------------------------------
>1-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
>1/2 cup cold water
>1 cup tomato juice
>1 teaspoon onion juice
>1 teaspoon salt
>2 cups ground cooked turkey
>
>Soak gelatin in cold water. Heat tomato juice; add gelatin and
>stir until completely dissolved. Chill until slightly thickened.
>Fold in seasonings and turkey. Put mixture over green layer and
>chill until firm. Unmold and garnish with poinsettia flowers of
>pimiento and green pepper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2021 9:59 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2021 18:30:03 -0600, US Janet wrote:
>
>> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
>> Lipton
>> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
>> 2 lbs. ground beef
>> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
>> 2 eggs
>> ¾ cup water
>> 1/3 cup ketchup
>> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
>> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
>> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes

> This begs for a beef gravy (not tomato). It's basically how I make
> impromptu salisbury steak. But I make 1/4lb patties, no eggs. Beef
> gravy, sometimes with shrooms.
>
> -sw

Thanks for the reminder. I love salisbury steak. Haven't made it in
ages and yes, beef gravy.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 10:53:59 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> On 5/29/2021 9:59 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 May 2021 18:30:03 -0600, US Janet wrote:
> >
> >> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
> >> Lipton
> >> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
> >> 2 lbs. ground beef
> >> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
> >> 2 eggs
> >> ¾ cup water
> >> 1/3 cup ketchup
> >> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
> >> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
> >> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes

> > This begs for a beef gravy (not tomato). It's basically how I make
> > impromptu salisbury steak. But I make 1/4lb patties, no eggs. Beef
> > gravy, sometimes with shrooms.
> >
> > -sw
> >

> Thanks for the reminder. I love salisbury steak. Haven't made it in
> ages and yes, beef gravy.

You might even try it with the immitation ground beef veggie stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 09:08:35 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 27 May 2021 07:24:12 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> Bryan Simmons wrote:

>>> "The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
>>> --Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009

>> Funny: I think the real 1960s might have baked that meat loaf in a Jello
>> mold for fancy presentation.
>>
>> It sounds like an old Betty Crocker thing to do.

>This is my "Birthday Recipe" from Sunset Magazine, July 1967 (The
>height of the Summer of Love).
>
>>Summer of Love Buffet Loaf
>>Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.
>>
>>Mrs. J.C Grigsby, Lehigh Acres, Florida, says this is a dish she
>>serves often for bridge luncheons. With it she serves fruit
>>salad, celery and carrot sticks.

>Dammit, they didn't use the Oxford Comma!!!
>
>>Green Layer:
>>---------------------------------
>>1 package lime-flavored gelatin
>>1 cup boiling water
>>3/4 cup ice
>>1 teaspoon salt
>>3 tablespoons vinegar
>>1 cup grated cucumber
>>1/4 cup chopped green pepper
>>1/2 cup chopped celery
>>
>>Disolve gelatin in hot water. Add cold water, salt, and vinegar.
>>Chill until slightly thickened. Add vegetables and pour into
>>mold. Chill until firm.
>>
>>Red Layer
>>------------------------------------
>>1-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
>>1/2 cup cold water
>>1 cup tomato juice
>>1 teaspoon onion juice
>>1 teaspoon salt
>>2 cups ground cooked turkey
>>
>>Soak gelatin in cold water. Heat tomato juice; add gelatin and
>>stir until completely dissolved. Chill until slightly thickened.
>>Fold in seasonings and turkey. Put mixture over green layer and
>>chill until firm. Unmold and garnish with poinsettia flowers of
>>pimiento and green pepper.

that would be o.k. because the recipe uses unflavored geletin not like
the lime jello with stuff in it.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 09:03:46 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 26 May 2021 17:34:12 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 7:30:10 PM UTC-5, US Janet wrote:
>>> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
>>> Lipton
>>> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
>>> 2 lbs. ground beef
>>> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
>>> 2 eggs
>>> ¾ cup water
>>> 1/3 cup ketchup
>>> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
>>> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
>>> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes
>>>

>> "The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
>> --Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009

>You have a better memory than mine. I doesn't sound like me. That
>must have been around my "Smartass Phase".
>
>Which never ended.
>
>-sw

doesn't apply to me as I never discovered the recipe until 2018 or19
However, what the heck is wrong with using recipes/foods from the last
century.? There are plenty of here today gone tomorrow crap foods
being the "in" thing in the 2000s. Someday your kids and grand kids
will be laughing at you.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 11:16:28 -0600, US Janet >
wrote:

>On Sat, 29 May 2021 09:03:46 -0500, Sqwertz >
>wrote:

>>> "The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
>>> --Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009

>>You have a better memory than mine. I doesn't sound like me. That
>>must have been around my "Smartass Phase".
>>
>>Which never ended.
>>
>>-sw

>doesn't apply to me as I never discovered the recipe until 2018 or19
>However, what the heck is wrong with using recipes/foods from the last
>century.? There are plenty of here today gone tomorrow crap foods
>being the "in" thing in the 2000s. Someday your kids and grand kids
>will be laughing at you.
>Janet US

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 11:11:57 -0600, US Janet >
wrote:

>On Sat, 29 May 2021 09:08:35 -0500, Sqwertz >
>wrote:

>>> Funny: I think the real 1960s might have baked that meat loaf in a Jello
>>> mold for fancy presentation.
>>>
>>> It sounds like an old Betty Crocker thing to do.

>>This is my "Birthday Recipe" from Sunset Magazine, July 1967 (The
>>height of the Summer of Love).
>>
>>>Summer of Love Buffet Loaf
>>>Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.
>>>
>>>Mrs. J.C Grigsby, Lehigh Acres, Florida, says this is a dish she
>>>serves often for bridge luncheons. With it she serves fruit
>>>salad, celery and carrot sticks.

>>Dammit, they didn't use the Oxford Comma!!!
>>
>>>Green Layer:
>>>---------------------------------
>>>1 package lime-flavored gelatin
>>>1 cup boiling water
>>>3/4 cup ice
>>>1 teaspoon salt
>>>3 tablespoons vinegar
>>>1 cup grated cucumber
>>>1/4 cup chopped green pepper
>>>1/2 cup chopped celery
>>>
>>>Disolve gelatin in hot water. Add cold water, salt, and vinegar.
>>>Chill until slightly thickened. Add vegetables and pour into
>>>mold. Chill until firm.
>>>
>>>Red Layer
>>>------------------------------------
>>>1-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
>>>1/2 cup cold water
>>>1 cup tomato juice
>>>1 teaspoon onion juice
>>>1 teaspoon salt
>>>2 cups ground cooked turkey
>>>
>>>Soak gelatin in cold water. Heat tomato juice; add gelatin and
>>>stir until completely dissolved. Chill until slightly thickened.
>>>Fold in seasonings and turkey. Put mixture over green layer and
>>>chill until firm. Unmold and garnish with poinsettia flowers of
>>>pimiento and green pepper.

>that would be o.k. because the recipe uses unflavored geletin not like
>the lime jello with stuff in it.
>Janet US

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 08:18:51 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 10:53:59 AM UTC-4, wrote:

>> > This begs for a beef gravy (not tomato). It's basically how I make
>> > impromptu salisbury steak. But I make 1/4lb patties, no eggs. Beef
>> > gravy, sometimes with shrooms.
>> >
>> > -sw
>> >

>> Thanks for the reminder. I love salisbury steak. Haven't made it in
>> ages and yes, beef gravy.

>You might even try it with the immitation ground beef veggie stuff.

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 10:53:52 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/29/2021 9:59 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 May 2021 18:30:03 -0600, US Janet wrote:
>>
>>> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
>>> Lipton
>>> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
>>> 2 lbs. ground beef
>>> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
>>> 2 eggs
>>> ¾ cup water
>>> 1/3 cup ketchup
>>> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
>>> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
>>> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes

>> This begs for a beef gravy (not tomato). It's basically how I make
>> impromptu salisbury steak. But I make 1/4lb patties, no eggs. Beef
>> gravy, sometimes with shrooms.
>>
>> -sw
>>

>Thanks for the reminder. I love salisbury steak. Haven't made it in
>ages and yes, beef gravy.
>
>Jill

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2021 08:03:14 -0600, US Janet >
wrote:

>On Sat, 29 May 2021 08:59:22 -0500, Sqwertz >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 26 May 2021 18:30:03 -0600, US Janet wrote:
>>
>>> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
>>> Lipton
>>> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
>>> 2 lbs. ground beef
>>> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
>>> 2 eggs
>>> ¾ cup water
>>> 1/3 cup ketchup
>>> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
>>> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
>>> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes

>>This begs for a beef gravy (not tomato). It's basically how I make
>>impromptu salisbury steak. But I make 1/4lb patties, no eggs. Beef
>>gravy, sometimes with shrooms.
>>
>>-sw

>Good idea. thanks
>Janet US

The other Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Thu, 27 May 2021 07:24:12 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> Bryan Simmons wrote:

>>> "The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
>>> --Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009

>> Funny: I think the real 1960s might have baked that meat loaf in a Jello
>> mold for fancy presentation.
>>
>> It sounds like an old Betty Crocker thing to do.

>This is my "Birthday Recipe" from Sunset Magazine, July 1967 (The
>height of the Summer of Love).
>
>>Summer of Love Buffet Loaf
>>Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.
>>
>>Mrs. J.C Grigsby, Lehigh Acres, Florida, says this is a dish she
>>serves often for bridge luncheons. With it she serves fruit
>>salad, celery and carrot sticks.

>Dammit, they didn't use the Oxford Comma!!!
>
>>Green Layer:
>>---------------------------------
>>1 package lime-flavored gelatin
>>1 cup boiling water
>>3/4 cup ice
>>1 teaspoon salt
>>3 tablespoons vinegar
>>1 cup grated cucumber
>>1/4 cup chopped green pepper
>>1/2 cup chopped celery
>>
>>Disolve gelatin in hot water. Add cold water, salt, and vinegar.
>>Chill until slightly thickened. Add vegetables and pour into
>>mold. Chill until firm.
>>
>>Red Layer
>>------------------------------------
>>1-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
>>1/2 cup cold water
>>1 cup tomato juice
>>1 teaspoon onion juice
>>1 teaspoon salt
>>2 cups ground cooked turkey
>>
>>Soak gelatin in cold water. Heat tomato juice; add gelatin and
>>stir until completely dissolved. Chill until slightly thickened.
>>Fold in seasonings and turkey. Put mixture over green layer and
>>chill until firm. Unmold and garnish with poinsettia flowers of
>>pimiento and green pepper.

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Wed, 26 May 2021 18:30:03 -0600, US Janet wrote:
>
>> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
>> Lipton
>> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
>> 2 lbs. ground beef
>> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
>> 2 eggs
>> ¾ cup water
>> 1/3 cup ketchup
>> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
>> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
>> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes

>This begs for a beef gravy (not tomato). It's basically how I make
>impromptu salisbury steak. But I make 1/4lb patties, no eggs. Beef
>gravy, sometimes with shrooms.
>
>-sw

The other Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Wed, 26 May 2021 17:34:12 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 7:30:10 PM UTC-5, US Janet wrote:
>>> SOUPERIOR MEAT LOAF
>>> Lipton
>>> 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
>>> 2 lbs. ground beef
>>> ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
>>> 2 eggs
>>> ¾ cup water
>>> 1/3 cup ketchup
>>> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
>>> Shape into loaf in 13x9 inch baking or roasting pan
>>> Bake uncovered 1 hour or until done. Let stand 10 minutes
>>>

>> "The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
>> --Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009

>You have a better memory than mine. I doesn't sound like me. That
>must have been around my "Smartass Phase".
>
>Which never ended.
>
>-sw

The other Dave Smith