cashier of cinema

Default what would you request if you had to go off into space for a yr?

suppose they wanna send you out into space for 3 urs.
the spaceship is the size of large living room where you must eat,
sleep, read, etc. there are separate compartments for showering and
peeooing.

it's gonna be a bummer, out in space and isolated from rest of
mankind.
however, you get to request 3 yr supply of anything you want plus one
companion and two animals for the trip. after the trip is over, you
have to give up whatever still remains, so no sense is asking for
diamonds and gold. it's gotta be stuff you can use. by the way, the
high-tech storage room can preserve fresh fruits and veggies and such.

my choices:

co-astronaut of choice: winona ryder

pets of choice: a dog and pig

1000 sirloin steaks.
500 lbs of beef ribs(i prefer pork but i don't eat the noble hog)
400 lbs of 90% lean ground beef
10 legs of lamb
30 corned beef
50 skirt steaks
30 packs of vienna beef hotdogs
50 trouts
20 catfish
20 red snappers
50 giant crabs
100 lobsters
1000 shrimps
300 crawfish
50 chicken
300 fresh oysters
3 turkeys
10 cans of caviar(cuz i never tried em)

1000 lbs of potatoes
500 heads of lettuce
3000 tomatoes
5000 mushrooms
1000 cucumbers
20 jars of kosher pickles
50 jars of olives

500 lbs of flour
200 loaves of bread
200 bagels
200 croissants
200 italian bread
30 boxes of oatmeal
100 boxes of frosted shredded wheat

50 apple pies
20 pumpkin pies
10 cans of whipcream
6 birthday cakes
300 donuts

3 cans of coffee
1000 packs of green tea

20 lbs of salt
500 lbs of sugar
50 jars of honey

100 gallons of milk
2000 containers of yogurt

10,000 cans of hogfood
7000 cans of dogfood
50 bags of supersize dry hogfood
20 bags of supersize dry dogfood

.... to continue...

p.s. can you imagine a zero gravity shower? that'd be cool! the water
would shoot out at you, float and splatter all over the place and be
sucked thru vacuum holes in the wall.
Bob (this one)

cashier of cinema wrote:

> suppose they wanna send you out into space for 3 urs.
> the spaceship is the size of large living room where you must eat,
> sleep, read, etc. there are separate compartments for showering and
> peeooing.
>
> it's gonna be a bummer, out in space and isolated from rest of
> mankind.
> however, you get to request 3 yr supply of anything you want plus one
> companion and two animals for the trip. after the trip is over, you
> have to give up whatever still remains, so no sense is asking for
> diamonds and gold. it's gotta be stuff you can use. by the way, the
> high-tech storage room can preserve fresh fruits and veggies and such.
>
> my choices:
>
> co-astronaut of choice: winona ryder

Lessee; 3 years = 1000 days (close enough) X 2 for both people = 2K
man-days. Figure 2000 cal/day/person

> pets of choice: a dog and pig
>
> 1000 sirloin steaks.

One per day. Assuming 8 ounces per, 500 pounds beef=455,868 calories.
This is enough caloric content for 227 man-days.

> 500 lbs of beef ribs(i prefer pork but i don't eat the noble hog)

442,260 calories is for 221 man-days. (448 so far)

> 400 lbs of 90% lean ground beef

319,334 cal - good for 159 man-days (607 so far)

10 boneless legs @ 6 lb each = 37,558 cal or 18 man-days (625 so far)

> 30 corned beef

We're going for briskets here because I like them better. Figure 5
pounds each for whole briskets = 134,719 cal or 67 m-d (692)

> 50 skirt steaks

Assuming 8 ounces per = 23,134 cal or 11 m-d (703)

We're six items into this list and already 1/3 of the way to all the
calories needed for the entire journey. Given no gravity, that would
reduce the caloric needs a good deal. Waaaaaay too much stuff to eat.

Have you ever tried to housebreak a pig?

I think you'd need several more passengers to consume what's here.

Pastorio

> 30 packs of vienna beef hotdogs
> 50 trouts
> 20 catfish
> 20 red snappers
> 50 giant crabs
> 100 lobsters
> 1000 shrimps
> 300 crawfish
> 50 chicken
> 300 fresh oysters
> 3 turkeys
> 10 cans of caviar(cuz i never tried em)
>
> 1000 lbs of potatoes

A pound a day? Every day?

> 500 heads of lettuce
> 3000 tomatoes
> 5000 mushrooms
> 1000 cucumbers
> 20 jars of kosher pickles
> 50 jars of olives
>

> 500 lbs of flour
> 200 loaves of bread
> 200 bagels
> 200 croissants
> 200 italian bread
> 30 boxes of oatmeal
> 100 boxes of frosted shredded wheat
>
> 50 apple pies
> 20 pumpkin pies
> 10 cans of whipcream
> 6 birthday cakes
> 300 donuts
>
> 3 cans of coffee
> 1000 packs of green tea
>
> 20 lbs of salt
> 500 lbs of sugar
> 50 jars of honey
>
> 100 gallons of milk
> 2000 containers of yogurt
>
> 10,000 cans of hogfood
> 7000 cans of dogfood
> 50 bags of supersize dry hogfood
> 20 bags of supersize dry dogfood
>
> ... to continue...
>
> p.s. can you imagine a zero gravity shower? that'd be cool! the water
> would shoot out at you, float and splatter all over the place and be
> sucked thru vacuum holes in the wall.

Zero-grav showers as described would drown you in short order and/or
foul all the machinery and electronics in the ship.. That's why
astronauts "shower" in a bag that keeps the water from flying around.

Zero-grav sex would be a problem, though. No gravity to hold you down
to the bed; all Newtonian physics, all the time. Action (you) reaction
(her flying across the room). Like Dolphins, you'd benefit from
helping hands to keep you, er, connected.

<http://www.rfreitas.com/Astro/SexxxInSpace.htm>
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,39977,00.html?tw=wn_story_related>
<http://www.cosmographica.com/gallery/portfolio/portfolio201/pages/209-NASASutra.htm>

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

cashier of cinema wrote:

> suppose they wanna send you out into space for 3 urs.
> the spaceship is the size of large living room where you must eat,
> sleep, read, etc. there are separate compartments for showering and
> peeooing.
>
> it's gonna be a bummer, out in space and isolated from rest of
> mankind.
> however, you get to request 3 yr supply of anything you want plus one
> companion and two animals for the trip. after the trip is over, you
> have to give up whatever still remains, so no sense is asking for
> diamonds and gold. it's gotta be stuff you can use. by the way, the
> high-tech storage room can preserve fresh fruits and veggies and such.
>
> my choices:
>
> co-astronaut of choice: winona ryder

Lessee; 3 years = 1000 days (close enough) X 2 for both people = 2K
man-days. Figure 2000 cal/day/person

> pets of choice: a dog and pig
>
> 1000 sirloin steaks.

One per day. Assuming 8 ounces per, 500 pounds beef=455,868 calories.
This is enough caloric content for 227 man-days.

> 500 lbs of beef ribs(i prefer pork but i don't eat the noble hog)

442,260 calories is for 221 man-days. (448 so far)

> 400 lbs of 90% lean ground beef

319,334 cal - good for 159 man-days (607 so far)

> 10 legs of lamb

10 boneless legs @ 6 lb each = 37,558 cal or 18 man-days (625 so far)

> 30 corned beef

We're going for briskets here because I like them better. Figure 5
pounds each for whole briskets = 134,719 cal or 67 m-d (692)

> 50 skirt steaks

Assuming 8 ounces per = 23,134 cal or 11 m-d (703)

We're six items into this list and already 1/3 of the way to all the
calories needed for the entire journey. Given no gravity, that would
reduce the caloric needs a good deal. Waaaaaay too much stuff to eat.

Have you ever tried to housebreak a pig?

I think you'd need several more passengers to consume what's here.

Pastorio

> 30 packs of vienna beef hotdogs
> 50 trouts
> 20 catfish
> 20 red snappers
> 50 giant crabs
> 100 lobsters
> 1000 shrimps
> 300 crawfish
> 50 chicken
> 300 fresh oysters
> 3 turkeys
> 10 cans of caviar(cuz i never tried em)
>
> 1000 lbs of potatoes

A pound a day? Every day?

> 500 heads of lettuce
> 3000 tomatoes
> 5000 mushrooms
> 1000 cucumbers
> 20 jars of kosher pickles
> 50 jars of olives
>

> 500 lbs of flour
> 200 loaves of bread
> 200 bagels
> 200 croissants
> 200 italian bread
> 30 boxes of oatmeal
> 100 boxes of frosted shredded wheat
>
> 50 apple pies
> 20 pumpkin pies
> 10 cans of whipcream
> 6 birthday cakes
> 300 donuts
>
> 3 cans of coffee
> 1000 packs of green tea
>
> 20 lbs of salt
> 500 lbs of sugar
> 50 jars of honey
>
> 100 gallons of milk
> 2000 containers of yogurt
>
> 10,000 cans of hogfood
> 7000 cans of dogfood
> 50 bags of supersize dry hogfood
> 20 bags of supersize dry dogfood
>
> ... to continue...
>
> p.s. can you imagine a zero gravity shower? that'd be cool! the water
> would shoot out at you, float and splatter all over the place and be
> sucked thru vacuum holes in the wall.

Zero-grav showers as described would drown you in short order and/or
foul all the machinery and electronics in the ship.. That's why
astronauts "shower" in a bag that keeps the water from flying around.

Zero-grav sex would be a problem, though. No gravity to hold you down
to the bed; all Newtonian physics, all the time. Action (you) reaction
(her flying across the room). Like Dolphins, you'd benefit from
helping hands to keep you, er, connected.

<http://www.rfreitas.com/Astro/SexxxInSpace.htm>
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,39977,00.html?tw=wn_story_related>
<http://www.cosmographica.com/gallery/portfolio/portfolio201/pages/209-NASASutra.htm>

Pastorio

Joe Blow

cashier of cinema wrote:

> suppose they wanna send you out into space for 3 urs.
> the spaceship is the size of large living room where you must eat,
> sleep, read, etc. there are separate compartments for showering and
> peeooing.
>
> it's gonna be a bummer, out in space and isolated from rest of
> mankind.
> however, you get to request 3 yr supply of anything you want plus one
> companion and two animals for the trip. after the trip is over, you
> have to give up whatever still remains, so no sense is asking for
> diamonds and gold. it's gotta be stuff you can use. by the way, the
> high-tech storage room can preserve fresh fruits and veggies and such.
>
> my choices:
>
> co-astronaut of choice: winona ryder

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Big mistake. She'd find a way to steal everything on the ship.

JB
JimLane

cashier of cinema wrote:
> suppose they wanna send you out into space for 3 urs.
> the spaceship is the size of large living room where you must eat,
> sleep, read, etc. there are separate compartments for showering and
> peeooing.
>
> it's gonna be a bummer, out in space and isolated from rest of
> mankind.
> however, you get to request 3 yr supply of anything you want plus one
> companion and two animals for the trip. after the trip is over, you
> have to give up whatever still remains, so no sense is asking for
> diamonds and gold. it's gotta be stuff you can use. by the way, the
> high-tech storage room can preserve fresh fruits and veggies and such.
>
> my choices:

What, no water other than for ****ing and showering? Whatcha going to
use for the coffee and tea? Boiling?

jim

zxcvbob

cashier of cinema wrote:

> suppose they wanna send you out into space for 3 urs.
> the spaceship is the size of large living room where you must eat,
> sleep, read, etc. there are separate compartments for showering and
> peeooing.
>
> it's gonna be a bummer, out in space and isolated from rest of
> mankind.
> however, you get to request 3 yr supply of anything you want plus one
> companion and two animals for the trip. after the trip is over, you
> have to give up whatever still remains, so no sense is asking for
> diamonds and gold. it's gotta be stuff you can use. by the way, the
> high-tech storage room can preserve fresh fruits and veggies and such.
>
> my choices:
>
> co-astronaut of choice: winona ryder
>
> pets of choice: a dog and pig
>
> 1000 sirloin steaks.
> 500 lbs of beef ribs(i prefer pork but i don't eat the noble hog)
> 400 lbs of 90% lean ground beef
> 10 legs of lamb
> 30 corned beef
> 50 skirt steaks
> 30 packs of vienna beef hotdogs
> 50 trouts
> 20 catfish
> 20 red snappers
> 50 giant crabs
> 100 lobsters
> 1000 shrimps
> 300 crawfish
> 50 chicken
> 300 fresh oysters
> 3 turkeys
> 10 cans of caviar(cuz i never tried em)
>
> 1000 lbs of potatoes
> 500 heads of lettuce
> 3000 tomatoes
> 5000 mushrooms
> 1000 cucumbers
> 20 jars of kosher pickles
> 50 jars of olives
>

> 500 lbs of flour
> 200 loaves of bread
> 200 bagels
> 200 croissants
> 200 italian bread
> 30 boxes of oatmeal
> 100 boxes of frosted shredded wheat
>
> 50 apple pies
> 20 pumpkin pies
> 10 cans of whipcream
> 6 birthday cakes
> 300 donuts
>
> 3 cans of coffee
> 1000 packs of green tea
>
> 20 lbs of salt
> 500 lbs of sugar
> 50 jars of honey
>
> 100 gallons of milk
> 2000 containers of yogurt
>
> 10,000 cans of hogfood
> 7000 cans of dogfood
> 50 bags of supersize dry hogfood
> 20 bags of supersize dry dogfood
>
> ... to continue...
>

> p.s. can you imagine a zero gravity shower? that'd be cool! the water
> would shoot out at you, float and splatter all over the place and be
> sucked thru vacuum holes in the wall.

What! No Miracle Whip?

(have you considered how many cubic feet of storage space you'll need
for all that, and how much space is left in your living room?)

Bob

"cashier of cinema" > wrote in message
om...
> suppose they wanna send you out into space for 3 urs.
> the spaceship is the size of large living room where you must eat,
> sleep, read, etc. there are separate compartments for showering and
> peeooing.
>
> it's gonna be a bummer, out in space and isolated from rest of
> mankind.
> however, you get to request 3 yr supply of anything you want plus one
> companion and two animals for the trip. after the trip is over, you
> have to give up whatever still remains, so no sense is asking for
> diamonds and gold. it's gotta be stuff you can use. by the way, the
> high-tech storage room can preserve fresh fruits and veggies and such.
>
> my choices:
>
> co-astronaut of choice: winona ryder
>
> pets of choice: a dog and pig
>
> 1000 sirloin steaks.
> 500 lbs of beef ribs(i prefer pork but i don't eat the noble hog)
> 400 lbs of 90% lean ground beef
> 10 legs of lamb
> 30 corned beef
> 50 skirt steaks
> 30 packs of vienna beef hotdogs
> 50 trouts
> 20 catfish
> 20 red snappers
> 50 giant crabs
> 100 lobsters
> 1000 shrimps
> 300 crawfish
> 50 chicken
> 300 fresh oysters
> 3 turkeys
> 10 cans of caviar(cuz i never tried em)
>
> 1000 lbs of potatoes
> 500 heads of lettuce
> 3000 tomatoes
> 5000 mushrooms
> 1000 cucumbers
> 20 jars of kosher pickles
> 50 jars of olives
>

> 500 lbs of flour
> 200 loaves of bread
> 200 bagels
> 200 croissants
> 200 italian bread
> 30 boxes of oatmeal
> 100 boxes of frosted shredded wheat
>
> 50 apple pies
> 20 pumpkin pies
> 10 cans of whipcream
> 6 birthday cakes
> 300 donuts
>
> 3 cans of coffee
> 1000 packs of green tea
>
> 20 lbs of salt
> 500 lbs of sugar
> 50 jars of honey
>
> 100 gallons of milk
> 2000 containers of yogurt
>
> 10,000 cans of hogfood
> 7000 cans of dogfood
> 50 bags of supersize dry hogfood
> 20 bags of supersize dry dogfood
>
> ... to continue...
>

> p.s. can you imagine a zero gravity shower? that'd be cool! the water
> would shoot out at you, float and splatter all over the place and be
> sucked thru vacuum holes in the wall.

0. Ignoring a few of the rules you've set forth
1. Waiter's on Wheels three times a day with the tip taken care of. I don't
care how much it costs for the ferry service from Earth.
2. Baklava, a lot of Baklava.
3. Chili, all types, and a beautiful bathroom and ventilation system too...
4. Absolute guarantee that the space aliens are NOT going to kidnap me for
their zoo of pain. This may be more important than the catered meals from
earth.
5. All the people I've ever met are cloned and visit from time to time all
convinced that meeting me is the greatest honor of their lives and they are
inconsolably sad when I send them away...

You, you are not going to give this to my court appointed shrink are you?

cashier of cinema

(cashier of cinema) wrote in message . com>...
> suppose they wanna send you out into space for 3 urs.
> the spaceship is the size of large living room where you must eat,
> sleep, read, etc. there are separate compartments for showering and
> peeooing.
>
> it's gonna be a bummer, out in space and isolated from rest of
> mankind.
> however, you get to request 3 yr supply of anything you want plus one
> companion and two animals for the trip. after the trip is over, you
> have to give up whatever still remains, so no sense is asking for
> diamonds and gold. it's gotta be stuff you can use. by the way, the
> high-tech storage room can preserve fresh fruits and veggies and such.
>
> my choices:
>
> co-astronaut of choice: winona ryder
>
> pets of choice: a dog and pig
>
> 1000 sirloin steaks.
> 500 lbs of beef ribs(i prefer pork but i don't eat the noble hog)
> 400 lbs of 90% lean ground beef
> 10 legs of lamb
> 30 corned beef
> 50 skirt steaks
> 30 packs of vienna beef hotdogs
> 50 trouts
> 20 catfish
> 20 red snappers
> 50 giant crabs
> 100 lobsters
> 1000 shrimps
> 300 crawfish
> 50 chicken
> 300 fresh oysters
> 3 turkeys
> 10 cans of caviar(cuz i never tried em)
>
> 1000 lbs of potatoes
> 500 heads of lettuce
> 3000 tomatoes
> 5000 mushrooms
> 1000 cucumbers
> 20 jars of kosher pickles
> 50 jars of olives
>

> 500 lbs of flour
> 200 loaves of bread
> 200 bagels
> 200 croissants
> 200 italian bread
> 30 boxes of oatmeal
> 100 boxes of frosted shredded wheat
>
> 50 apple pies
> 20 pumpkin pies
> 10 cans of whipcream
> 6 birthday cakes
> 300 donuts
>
> 3 cans of coffee
> 1000 packs of green tea
>
> 20 lbs of salt
> 500 lbs of sugar
> 50 jars of honey
>
> 100 gallons of milk
> 2000 containers of yogurt
>
> 10,000 cans of hogfood
> 7000 cans of dogfood
> 50 bags of supersize dry hogfood
> 20 bags of supersize dry dogfood
>
> ... to continue...

100 cases of 24/pack diet coke
100 cases of 24/pack 7up
10 cases of beer
20 bottles of red wine
5 bottles of white wine

50 lbs of scallops
100 squids
100 octopuses
one giant tuna

100 pineapples
500 apples
500 peaches
500 bananas
500 apricots
500 pears

100 green peppers
50 red peppers
500 serrano peppers
200 jalapeno peppers

2 lbs of paprika
2 lbs of oregano
2 lbs of basil
1 lb of parsley flakes

100 cloves of garlic
500 onions
500 scallions

50 flounders
100 filet sandwiches

more to come...

> p.s. can you imagine a zero gravity shower? that'd be cool! the water
> would shoot out at you, float and splatter all over the place and be
> sucked thru vacuum holes in the wall.

cashier of cinema

> [...]

100 pineapples
500 apples
500 peaches
500 bananas
500 apricots
500 pears

100 green peppers
50 red peppers
500 serrano peppers
200 jalapeno peppers

2 lbs of paprika
2 lbs of oregano
2 lbs of basil
1 lb of parsley flakes

100 cloves of garlic
500 onions
500 scallions

50 flounders
100 filet sandwiches

more to come...

> p.s. can you imagine a zero gravity shower? that'd be cool! the water
> would shoot out at you, float and splatter all over the place and be

zuuum

Beer and wine, since the first request an alien might have could be, "Take
me to your litre."

> [...]
>> sucked thru vacuum holes in the wall.

> 0. Ignoring a few of the rules you've set forth
> 1. Waiter's on Wheels three times a day with the tip taken care of. I
> don't care how much it costs for the ferry service from Earth.
> 2. Baklava, a lot of Baklava.
> 3. Chili, all types, and a beautiful bathroom and ventilation system
> too...
> 4. Absolute guarantee that the space aliens are NOT going to kidnap me for
> their zoo of pain. This may be more important than the catered meals from
> earth.
> 5. All the people I've ever met are cloned and visit from time to time all
> convinced that meeting me is the greatest honor of their lives and they
> are inconsolably sad when I send them away...
>

> You, you are not going to give this to my court appointed shrink are you?

Nicolai P. Zwar

cashier of cinema wrote:

> suppose they wanna send you out into space for 3 urs.

I don't know how long exactly an "ur" is, but I wouldn't mind if they
send you out into space for any length of time.

--
Nicolai Zwar
http://www.nicolaizwar.com

Nicolai P. Zwar

cashier of cinema wrote:

> suppose they wanna send you out into space for 3 urs.

I don't know how long exactly an "ur" is, but I wouldn't mind if they
send you out into space for any length of time.

--
Nicolai Zwar
http://www.nicolaizwar.com
"Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants,
cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys." (Yahweh, apparently throwing one
of his tantrums.)

lal_truckee

cashier of cinema wrote:
CLIP

> pets of choice: a dog and pig

A spaceship full of pigshit - thanks for the image; I probably wouldn't
have considered a pig sty in freefall without your remarkable input.

CLIP

> p.s. can you imagine a zero gravity shower? that'd be cool! the water
> would shoot out at you, float and splatter all over the place and be
> sucked thru vacuum holes in the wall.

I gather you don't know that you don't HAVE to imagine this - you can
just go over to the Smithsonian A&S and examine a actual functional zero
gravity shower? And toilet? But no pigshit. Can't have everything -
something must be left to the imagination.
lal_truckee

cashier of cinema wrote:
CLIP

> pets of choice: a dog and pig

A spaceship full of pigshit - thanks for the image; I probably wouldn't
have considered a pig sty in freefall without your remarkable input.

CLIP

> p.s. can you imagine a zero gravity shower? that'd be cool! the water
> would shoot out at you, float and splatter all over the place and be
> sucked thru vacuum holes in the wall.

I gather you don't know that you don't HAVE to imagine this - you can
just go over to the Smithsonian A&S and examine a actual functional zero
gravity shower? And toilet? But no pigshit. Can't have everything -
something must be left to the imagination.
Puester

I'd ask for a very long postponement....

gloria p

Puester

I'd ask for a very long postponement....

gloria p
Wendy of NJ

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:30:23 -0500, "Bob (this one)" >
wrote:

> [...]

>> 2000 containers of yogurt
>>
>> 10,000 cans of hogfood
>> 7000 cans of dogfood
>> 50 bags of supersize dry hogfood
>> 20 bags of supersize dry dogfood
>>
>> ... to continue...
>>
>> p.s. can you imagine a zero gravity shower? that'd be cool! the water
>> would shoot out at you, float and splatter all over the place and be
>> sucked thru vacuum holes in the wall.

>Zero-grav showers as described would drown you in short order and/or
>foul all the machinery and electronics in the ship.. That's why
>astronauts "shower" in a bag that keeps the water from flying around.
>
>Zero-grav sex would be a problem, though. No gravity to hold you down
>to the bed; all Newtonian physics, all the time. Action (you) reaction
>(her flying across the room). Like Dolphins, you'd benefit from
>helping hands to keep you, er, connected.

That's what arms and legs are for. Have you never "done it" in a
swimming pool???

><http://www.rfreitas.com/Astro/SexxxInSpace.htm>
><http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,39977,00.html?tw=wn_story_related>
><http://www.cosmographica.com/gallery/portfolio/portfolio201/pages/209-NASASutra.htm>
>
>Pastorio

Dark Skies

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:44:13 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>I'd ask for a very long postponement....
>
>gloria p

No question about it, 8 pallets of MREs (Meal Ready to Eat). Not only
can you eat them, you can patch the hull using the crackers and peanut
butter or lauch them at hostile alien spacecraft.
Regards DarkSkies

Dark Skies

wrote:

>I'd ask for a very long postponement....
>
>gloria p

No question about it, 8 pallets of MREs (Meal Ready to Eat). Not only
can you eat them, you can patch the hull using the crackers and peanut
butter or lauch them at hostile alien spacecraft.
Regards DarkSkies

Bob (this one)

Wendy of NJ wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:30:23 -0500, "Bob (this one)" >
> wrote:

>>>p.s. can you imagine a zero gravity shower? that'd be cool! the water
>>>would shoot out at you, float and splatter all over the place and be
>>>sucked thru vacuum holes in the wall.

>>Zero-grav showers as described would drown you in short order and/or
>>foul all the machinery and electronics in the ship.. That's why
>>astronauts "shower" in a bag that keeps the water from flying around.
>>
>>Zero-grav sex would be a problem, though. No gravity to hold you down
>>to the bed; all Newtonian physics, all the time. Action (you) reaction
>>(her flying across the room). Like Dolphins, you'd benefit from
>>helping hands to keep you, er, connected.

> That's what arms and legs are for. Have you never "done it" in a
> swimming pool???

Sure. But the pool isn't quite the Newtonian setting as free-fall.
There's resistance in water that simply isn't there in orbit or
interplanetary space. The water stops the folks from bouncing away
from each other.

Do check out the URL's below. That's why I posted them.

Pastorio

>><http://www.rfreitas.com/Astro/SexxxInSpace.htm>
>><http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,39977,00.html?tw=wn_story_related>
>><http://www.cosmographica.com/gallery/portfolio/portfolio201/pages/209-NASASutra.htm>
>>
>>Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Wendy of NJ wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:30:23 -0500, "Bob (this one)" >
> wrote:

>>>p.s. can you imagine a zero gravity shower? that'd be cool! the water
>>>would shoot out at you, float and splatter all over the place and be
>>>sucked thru vacuum holes in the wall.

>>Zero-grav showers as described would drown you in short order and/or
>>foul all the machinery and electronics in the ship.. That's why
>>astronauts "shower" in a bag that keeps the water from flying around.
>>
>>Zero-grav sex would be a problem, though. No gravity to hold you down
>>to the bed; all Newtonian physics, all the time. Action (you) reaction
>>(her flying across the room). Like Dolphins, you'd benefit from
>>helping hands to keep you, er, connected.

> That's what arms and legs are for. Have you never "done it" in a
> swimming pool???

Sure. But the pool isn't quite the Newtonian setting as free-fall.
There's resistance in water that simply isn't there in orbit or
interplanetary space. The water stops the folks from bouncing away
from each other.

Do check out the URL's below. That's why I posted them.

Pastorio

>><http://www.rfreitas.com/Astro/SexxxInSpace.htm>
>><http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,39977,00.html?tw=wn_story_related>
>><http://www.cosmographica.com/gallery/portfolio/portfolio201/pages/209-NASASutra.htm>
>>
>>Pastorio

The Joneses

cashier of cinema wrote:

> (Snipped list) suppose they wanna send you out into space for 3 urs.
> p.s. can you imagine a zero gravity shower? that'd be cool! the water
> would shoot out at you, float and splatter all over the place and be
> sucked thru vacuum holes in the wall.

I wouldn't go anywhere without my Charmin. And my moisturizer. Humph!
Edrena

The Joneses

cashier of cinema wrote:

> (Snipped list) suppose they wanna send you out into space for 3 urs.
> p.s. can you imagine a zero gravity shower? that'd be cool! the water
> would shoot out at you, float and splatter all over the place and be
> sucked thru vacuum holes in the wall.

I wouldn't go anywhere without my Charmin. And my moisturizer. Humph!
Edrena

Wendy of NJ

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:31:56 -0500, "Bob (this one)" >
wrote:

>Wendy of NJ wrote:

>>>Zero-grav showers as described would drown you in short order and/or
>>>foul all the machinery and electronics in the ship.. That's why
>>>astronauts "shower" in a bag that keeps the water from flying around.
>>>
>>>Zero-grav sex would be a problem, though. No gravity to hold you down
>>>to the bed; all Newtonian physics, all the time. Action (you) reaction
>>>(her flying across the room). Like Dolphins, you'd benefit from
>>>helping hands to keep you, er, connected.

>> That's what arms and legs are for. Have you never "done it" in a
>> swimming pool???

>Sure. But the pool isn't quite the Newtonian setting as free-fall.
>There's resistance in water that simply isn't there in orbit or
>interplanetary space. The water stops the folks from bouncing away
>from each other.
>
>Do check out the URL's below. That's why I posted them.

I think there's more danger of literally "bouncing off the walls" than
not staying "docked". Of course, you'd have to alter your normal
technique (i.e. the woman will likely need to always have at least one
leg wrapped around the man).

The mating pair would likely need to be more limber than the average
American, and either a bag-like arrangement or very soft walls would
also be required. I can also envision quite a high rotational velocity
if the couple don't approach each other carefully.

If one can dock a space ship with another ship or station, I can't see
the big issue about docking genitalia.

>Pastorio
>
>>><http://www.rfreitas.com/Astro/SexxxInSpace.htm>
>>><http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,39977,00.html?tw=wn_story_related>
>>><http://www.cosmographica.com/gallery/portfolio/portfolio201/pages/209-NASASutra.htm>
>>>
>>>Pastorio

Wendy of NJ

wrote:

>Wendy of NJ wrote:

>>>Zero-grav showers as described would drown you in short order and/or
>>>foul all the machinery and electronics in the ship.. That's why
>>>astronauts "shower" in a bag that keeps the water from flying around.
>>>
>>>Zero-grav sex would be a problem, though. No gravity to hold you down
>>>to the bed; all Newtonian physics, all the time. Action (you) reaction
>>>(her flying across the room). Like Dolphins, you'd benefit from
>>>helping hands to keep you, er, connected.

>> That's what arms and legs are for. Have you never "done it" in a
>> swimming pool???

>Sure. But the pool isn't quite the Newtonian setting as free-fall.
>There's resistance in water that simply isn't there in orbit or
>interplanetary space. The water stops the folks from bouncing away
>from each other.
>
>Do check out the URL's below. That's why I posted them.

I think there's more danger of literally "bouncing off the walls" than
not staying "docked". Of course, you'd have to alter your normal
technique (i.e. the woman will likely need to always have at least one
leg wrapped around the man).

The mating pair would likely need to be more limber than the average
American, and either a bag-like arrangement or very soft walls would
also be required. I can also envision quite a high rotational velocity
if the couple don't approach each other carefully.

If one can dock a space ship with another ship or station, I can't see
the big issue about docking genitalia.

>Pastorio
>
>>><http://www.rfreitas.com/Astro/SexxxInSpace.htm>
>>><http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,39977,00.html?tw=wn_story_related>
>>><http://www.cosmographica.com/gallery/portfolio/portfolio201/pages/209-NASASutra.htm>
>>>
>>>Pastorio

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Nicolai P. Zwar wrote:
> cashier of cinema wrote:
>
>> suppose they wanna send you out into space for 3 urs.

> I don't know how long exactly an "ur" is, but I wouldn't mind if they
> send you out into space for any length of time.

Indeed! I remember the headlines when the first Sputnik
went up. I was CERTAIN, then, that we'd have colonies in
space during my lifetime. (Now the private sector is
beginning to show interest in space travel, I may yet live
to witness the fact of colonies on Mars and the moons of
Jupiter, but far too late for me to be an acceptable émigré,
alas!)

lal_truckee wrote:

> cashier of cinema wrote:
> CLIP
>

>> pets of choice: a dog and pig

> A spaceship full of pigshit - thanks for the image; I probably wouldn't
> have considered a pig sty in freefall without your remarkable input.

An effective product in lieu of Dramamine might be
adviseable for would-be space travelers, too -
weightlessness can have unfortunate effects on digestive
systems evolved in Earth-gravity! (Not much to choose
between that and pigshit.)

Nicolai P. Zwar

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

> Nicolai P. Zwar wrote:
>
>> cashier of cinema wrote:
>>
>>> suppose they wanna send you out into space for 3 urs.

>> I don't know how long exactly an "ur" is, but I wouldn't mind if they
>> send you out into space for any length of time.

> Indeed! I remember the headlines when the first Sputnik went up. I was
> CERTAIN, then, that we'd have colonies in space during my lifetime.

I had the same reaction watching STAR TREK as a kid. I was enthralled
and convinced we'd have regular space travel by the time I had grown up.

> (Now
> the private sector is beginning to show interest in space travel, I may
> yet live to witness the fact of colonies on Mars and the moons of
> Jupiter, but far too late for me to be an acceptable émigré, alas!)

I have never officially given up my plans on becoming an astronaut, but
it just doesn't seem likely anymore.

--
Nicolai Zwar
http://www.nicolaizwar.com
"Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants,
cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys." (Yahweh, apparently throwing one
of his tantrums.)

Nicolai P. Zwar

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

> Nicolai P. Zwar wrote:
>
>> cashier of cinema wrote:
>>
>>> suppose they wanna send you out into space for 3 urs.

>> I don't know how long exactly an "ur" is, but I wouldn't mind if they
>> send you out into space for any length of time.

> Indeed! I remember the headlines when the first Sputnik went up. I was
> CERTAIN, then, that we'd have colonies in space during my lifetime.

I had the same reaction watching STAR TREK as a kid. I was enthralled
and convinced we'd have regular space travel by the time I had grown up.

> (Now
> the private sector is beginning to show interest in space travel, I may
> yet live to witness the fact of colonies on Mars and the moons of
> Jupiter, but far too late for me to be an acceptable émigré, alas!)

I have never officially given up my plans on becoming an astronaut, but
it just doesn't seem likely anymore.

--
Nicolai Zwar
http://www.nicolaizwar.com
"Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants,
cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys." (Yahweh, apparently throwing one
of his tantrums.)

Aaron Davies

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) > wrote:

> lal_truckee wrote:
>
> > cashier of cinema wrote:
> > CLIP
> >

> >> pets of choice: a dog and pig

> > A spaceship full of pigshit - thanks for the image; I probably wouldn't
> > have considered a pig sty in freefall without your remarkable input.

> An effective product in lieu of Dramamine might be
> adviseable for would-be space travelers, too -
> weightlessness can have unfortunate effects on digestive
> systems evolved in Earth-gravity! (Not much to choose
> between that and pigshit.)

Scopolamine patches seem to work well for the astronauts.
--
Aaron Davies
Opinions expressed are solely those of a random number generator.
Aaron Davies

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) > wrote:

> lal_truckee wrote:
>
> > cashier of cinema wrote:
> > CLIP
> >

> >> pets of choice: a dog and pig

> > A spaceship full of pigshit - thanks for the image; I probably wouldn't
> > have considered a pig sty in freefall without your remarkable input.

> An effective product in lieu of Dramamine might be
> adviseable for would-be space travelers, too -
> weightlessness can have unfortunate effects on digestive
> systems evolved in Earth-gravity! (Not much to choose
> between that and pigshit.)

Scopolamine patches seem to work well for the astronauts.
--
Aaron Davies
Opinions expressed are solely those of a random number generator.
"I don't know if it's real or not but it is a myth."
-Jami JoAnne of alt.folklore.urban, showing her grasp on reality.
Bob (this one)

Wendy of NJ wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:31:56 -0500, "Bob (this one)"
> > wrote:
>

>> Wendy of NJ wrote:
>>

>>> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:30:23 -0500, "Bob (this one)"

>>> That's what arms and legs are for. Have you never "done it" in
>>> a swimming pool???

>> Sure. But the pool isn't quite the Newtonian setting as
>> free-fall. There's resistance in water that simply isn't there in
>> orbit or interplanetary space. The water stops the folks from
>> bouncing away from each other.

> I think there's more danger of literally "bouncing off the walls"
> than not staying "docked". Of course, you'd have to alter your
> normal technique (i.e. the woman will likely need to always have at
> least one leg wrapped around the man).

Or vice versa. Think outside the, er, box.

> The mating pair would likely need to be more limber than the
> average American, and either a bag-like arrangement or very soft
> walls would also be required.

This is the sort of thing mentioned in that bogus NASA study.

> I can also envision quite a high rotational velocity if the couple
> don't approach each other carefully.
>
> If one can dock a space ship with another ship or station, I can't
> see the big issue about docking genitalia.

Well, *both* are big deals as a look at orbital mechanics will show. I
was astonished at the criticality of the moves. Ships preparing to
dock have to go through some complex and slowly deliberate movements.
I don't know about you, but there are times when I don't *want*
complex, slow and deliberate movements. That's called dancing; I'm
talking about something else.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Wendy of NJ wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:31:56 -0500, "Bob (this one)"
> > wrote:
>

>> Wendy of NJ wrote:
>>

>>> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:30:23 -0500, "Bob (this one)"

>>> That's what arms and legs are for. Have you never "done it" in
>>> a swimming pool???

>> Sure. But the pool isn't quite the Newtonian setting as
>> free-fall. There's resistance in water that simply isn't there in
>> orbit or interplanetary space. The water stops the folks from
>> bouncing away from each other.

> I think there's more danger of literally "bouncing off the walls"
> than not staying "docked". Of course, you'd have to alter your
> normal technique (i.e. the woman will likely need to always have at
> least one leg wrapped around the man).

Or vice versa. Think outside the, er, box.

> The mating pair would likely need to be more limber than the
> average American, and either a bag-like arrangement or very soft
> walls would also be required.

This is the sort of thing mentioned in that bogus NASA study.

> I can also envision quite a high rotational velocity if the couple
> don't approach each other carefully.
>
> If one can dock a space ship with another ship or station, I can't
> see the big issue about docking genitalia.

Well, *both* are big deals as a look at orbital mechanics will show. I
was astonished at the criticality of the moves. Ships preparing to
dock have to go through some complex and slowly deliberate movements.
I don't know about you, but there are times when I don't *want*
complex, slow and deliberate movements. That's called dancing; I'm
talking about something else.

Pastorio

Peter T. Daniels

Bob (this one) wrote:

> > If one can dock a space ship with another ship or station, I can't
> > see the big issue about docking genitalia.

> Well, *both* are big deals as a look at orbital mechanics will show. I
> was astonished at the criticality of the moves. Ships preparing to
> dock have to go through some complex and slowly deliberate movements.
> I don't know about you, but there are times when I don't *want*
> complex, slow and deliberate movements. That's called dancing; I'm
> talking about something else.

Ships preparing to dock don't have limbs, feedback devices, or brains to
control them.
--
Peter T. Daniels
Peter T. Daniels

Bob (this one) wrote:

> > If one can dock a space ship with another ship or station, I can't
> > see the big issue about docking genitalia.

> Well, *both* are big deals as a look at orbital mechanics will show. I
> was astonished at the criticality of the moves. Ships preparing to
> dock have to go through some complex and slowly deliberate movements.
> I don't know about you, but there are times when I don't *want*
> complex, slow and deliberate movements. That's called dancing; I'm
> talking about something else.

Ships preparing to dock don't have limbs, feedback devices, or brains to
control them.
--
Peter T. Daniels
Matthew Fields

In article >,
Peter T. Daniels > wrote:
>Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> > If one can dock a space ship with another ship or station, I can't
>> > see the big issue about docking genitalia.

>> Well, *both* are big deals as a look at orbital mechanics will show. I
>> was astonished at the criticality of the moves. Ships preparing to
>> dock have to go through some complex and slowly deliberate movements.
>> I don't know about you, but there are times when I don't *want*
>> complex, slow and deliberate movements. That's called dancing; I'm
>> talking about something else.

>Ships preparing to dock don't have limbs, feedback devices, or brains to
>control them.

All the ones I've ever heard of have people...

--
Matthew H. Fields http://personal.www.umich.edu/~fields
Music: Splendor in Sound
Bob (this one)

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>>>If one can dock a space ship with another ship or station, I can't
>>>see the big issue about docking genitalia.

>>Well, *both* are big deals as a look at orbital mechanics will show. I
>>was astonished at the criticality of the moves. Ships preparing to
>>dock have to go through some complex and slowly deliberate movements.
>>I don't know about you, but there are times when I don't *want*
>>complex, slow and deliberate movements. That's called dancing; I'm
>>talking about something else.

> Ships preparing to dock don't have limbs, feedback devices, or brains to
> control them.

Sure they do. They're called "the crews."

And even with the crew actively monitoring and steering the ships,
it's still a sweatingly complex thing to accomplish.

Moving in free-fall is not much like moving in a gravity field. Simple
things that we don't even think about are damnably hard. Something as
simple as bending over to put on socks becomes a daunting task. A
cough or sneeze will send you moving backwards or even into a tumble.
There's a lot of farting in spacecraft because of what the lack of
greater gravity does to our bodies.

It's not easy to move in the ways we move down here. And it's
correspondingly more difficult to move two bodies simultaneously, even
with hands on each other.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)