Bob (this one)

cashier of cinema wrote:

> suppose they wanna send you out into space for 3 urs.
> the spaceship is the size of large living room where you must eat,
> sleep, read, etc. there are separate compartments for showering and
> peeooing.
>
> it's gonna be a bummer, out in space and isolated from rest of
> mankind.
> however, you get to request 3 yr supply of anything you want plus one
> companion and two animals for the trip. after the trip is over, you
> have to give up whatever still remains, so no sense is asking for
> diamonds and gold. it's gotta be stuff you can use. by the way, the
> high-tech storage room can preserve fresh fruits and veggies and such.
>
> my choices:
>
> co-astronaut of choice: winona ryder

Lessee; 3 years = 1000 days (close enough) X 2 for both people = 2K
man-days. Figure 2000 cal/day/person

> pets of choice: a dog and pig
>
> 1000 sirloin steaks.

One per day. Assuming 8 ounces per, 500 pounds beef=455,868 calories.
This is enough caloric content for 227 man-days.

> 500 lbs of beef ribs(i prefer pork but i don't eat the noble hog)

442,260 calories is for 221 man-days. (448 so far)

> 400 lbs of 90% lean ground beef

319,334 cal - good for 159 man-days (607 so far)

10 boneless legs @ 6 lb each = 37,558 cal or 18 man-days (625 so far)

> 30 corned beef

We're going for briskets here because I like them better. Figure 5
pounds each for whole briskets = 134,719 cal or 67 m-d (692)

> 50 skirt steaks

Assuming 8 ounces per = 23,134 cal or 11 m-d (703)

We're six items into this list and already 1/3 of the way to all the
calories needed for the entire journey. Given no gravity, that would
reduce the caloric needs a good deal. Waaaaaay too much stuff to eat.

Have you ever tried to housebreak a pig?

I think you'd need several more passengers to consume what's here.

Pastorio

> 30 packs of vienna beef hotdogs
> 50 trouts
> 20 catfish
> 20 red snappers
> 50 giant crabs
> 100 lobsters
> 1000 shrimps
> 300 crawfish
> 50 chicken
> 300 fresh oysters
> 3 turkeys
> 10 cans of caviar(cuz i never tried em)
>
> 1000 lbs of potatoes

A pound a day? Every day?

> 500 heads of lettuce
> 3000 tomatoes
> 5000 mushrooms
> 1000 cucumbers
> 20 jars of kosher pickles
> 50 jars of olives
>

> 500 lbs of flour
> 200 loaves of bread
> 200 bagels
> 200 croissants
> 200 italian bread
> 30 boxes of oatmeal
> 100 boxes of frosted shredded wheat
>
> 50 apple pies
> 20 pumpkin pies
> 10 cans of whipcream
> 6 birthday cakes
> 300 donuts
>
> 3 cans of coffee
> 1000 packs of green tea
>
> 20 lbs of salt
> 500 lbs of sugar
> 50 jars of honey
>
> 100 gallons of milk
> 2000 containers of yogurt
>
> 10,000 cans of hogfood
> 7000 cans of dogfood
> 50 bags of supersize dry hogfood
> 20 bags of supersize dry dogfood
>
> ... to continue...
>
> p.s. can you imagine a zero gravity shower? that'd be cool! the water
> would shoot out at you, float and splatter all over the place and be
> sucked thru vacuum holes in the wall.

Zero-grav showers as described would drown you in short order and/or
foul all the machinery and electronics in the ship.. That's why
astronauts "shower" in a bag that keeps the water from flying around.

Zero-grav sex would be a problem, though. No gravity to hold you down
to the bed; all Newtonian physics, all the time. Action (you) reaction
(her flying across the room). Like Dolphins, you'd benefit from
helping hands to keep you, er, connected.

<http://www.rfreitas.com/Astro/SexxxInSpace.htm>
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,39977,00.html?tw=wn_story_related>
<http://www.cosmographica.com/gallery/portfolio/portfolio201/pages/209-NASASutra.htm>

Pastorio