Peter T. Daniels

Matthew Fields wrote:

> In article >,
> Peter T. Daniels > wrote:

> >> Well, *both* are big deals as a look at orbital mechanics will show. I
> >> was astonished at the criticality of the moves. Ships preparing to
> >> dock have to go through some complex and slowly deliberate movements.
> >> I don't know about you, but there are times when I don't *want*
> >> complex, slow and deliberate movements. That's called dancing; I'm
> >> talking about something else.

> >Ships preparing to dock don't have limbs, feedback devices, or brains to
> >control them.

> All the ones I've ever heard of have people...

So people should be perfectly adequate for accomplishing weightless
mating. (We don't know -- we rather doubt -- that it hasn't happened
already, but NASA hasn't yet let the *Big Brother* gang wire a Shuttle
or a Station.)
--
Peter T. Daniels
Wendy of NJ

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:19:46 -0500, "Bob (this one)" >
wrote:

>Peter T. Daniels wrote:

>>>Well, *both* are big deals as a look at orbital mechanics will show. I
>>>was astonished at the criticality of the moves. Ships preparing to
>>>dock have to go through some complex and slowly deliberate movements.
>>>I don't know about you, but there are times when I don't *want*
>>>complex, slow and deliberate movements. That's called dancing; I'm
>>>talking about something else.

>> Ships preparing to dock don't have limbs, feedback devices, or brains to
>> control them.

>Sure they do. They're called "the crews."
>
>And even with the crew actively monitoring and steering the ships,
>it's still a sweatingly complex thing to accomplish.
>
>Moving in free-fall is not much like moving in a gravity field. Simple
>things that we don't even think about are damnably hard. Something as
>simple as bending over to put on socks becomes a daunting task. A
>cough or sneeze will send you moving backwards or even into a tumble.
>There's a lot of farting in spacecraft because of what the lack of
>greater gravity does to our bodies.
>
>It's not easy to move in the ways we move down here. And it's
>correspondingly more difficult to move two bodies simultaneously, even
>with hands on each other.
>
>Pastorio

I don't think anyone's denied that there would be a learning curve
involved. But I seriously doubt that it would take a whole lot longer
to figure out than it did when (we all) were virgins.
Bob (this one)

Wendy of NJ wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:19:46 -0500, "Bob (this one)" >
> wrote:
>
>>Peter T. Daniels wrote

>>>Ships preparing to dock don't have limbs, feedback devices, or brains to
>>>control them.

>>Sure they do. They're called "the crews."
>>
>>And even with the crew actively monitoring and steering the ships,
>>it's still a sweatingly complex thing to accomplish.
>>
>>Moving in free-fall is not much like moving in a gravity field. Simple
>>things that we don't even think about are damnably hard. Something as
>>simple as bending over to put on socks becomes a daunting task. A
>>cough or sneeze will send you moving backwards or even into a tumble.
>>There's a lot of farting in spacecraft because of what the lack of
>>greater gravity does to our bodies.
>>
>>It's not easy to move in the ways we move down here. And it's
>>correspondingly more difficult to move two bodies simultaneously, even
>>with hands on each other.
>>
>>Pastorio

> I don't think anyone's denied that there would be a learning curve
> involved. But I seriously doubt that it would take a whole lot longer
> to figure out than it did when (we all) were virgins.

I don't bother to read the posts I reply to, either. And I make sure I
don't know anything about the subject if at all possible.

If you want to be different than me, spend about 10 minutes reading
about orbital mechanics and see if you still believe that it'll be as
simple as "a learning curve." Maybe spend about the same amount of
time reading about the problems with free fall, coriolus effects and
mass vs. weight in orbit.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

In rec.food.cooking cashier of cinema > wrote:

> co-astronaut of choice: winona ryder

> pets of choice: a dog and pig

Having a dog in a confined space would be very
cruel to the dog. Besides, where would the dog
go to the bathroom?

I like your list of foods, although I would
replace the fish and shell fish with turkey
and chicken parts: legs, wings, and thighs
because I do not like seafood.

I would replace the caviar with some prime
grade meat, as a treat. From a practical matter,
I would not bring any pastries because they
would get stale and I am diabetic so I would
rather spend my carbs on something that would
hold up for a while such as some good chocolate.

Fudge

I would get one of them food replicators that Captain Picard has in his
ready room. "Earl Grey Hot". Wow! I want one of those gizmos fer Crismus. I
would replicate a lot of heavy duty French food floating in butter and
cream. COMPUTER, Chateaubriand a la bouquetiere pour deux, Langue de boeuf a
la provencial, Foie a la Lyonaise, Canard a l'orange, Chou-fleur mornay etc.
etc. etc.

Farmer John

Brandon

Fudge wrote:

> I would get one of them food replicators that Captain Picard has in his
> ready room. "Earl Grey Hot". Wow! I want one of those gizmos fer Crismus. I
> would replicate a lot of heavy duty French food floating in butter and
> cream. COMPUTER, Chateaubriand a la bouquetiere pour deux, Langue de boeuf a
> la provencial, Foie a la Lyonaise, Canard a l'orange, Chou-fleur mornay etc.
> etc. etc.
>
> Farmer John

Wendy's double cheeseburger combo, and biggie size it, will
ya?

~consul

Wendy of NJ wrote:
>>>my choices:
>>>co-astronaut of choice: winona ryder

(Or your own suitable choice)

>>We're six items into this list and already 1/3 of the way to all the
>>calories needed for the entire journey. Given no gravity, that would
>>reduce the caloric needs a good deal. Waaaaaay too much stuff to eat.

A year of sex. Burns a lot of calories.
--
"... to satisfy the honours and place, I had to leave her in silence ..."
--till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>

~consul