Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New French Fry method

I recently tried a new way of clearing the excess starch off of
potatoes before frying them to make french fries, and it works
perfectly and it only takes about 5 minutes. I simply wash the raw
potatoes in soap and water. Then rinse them very well. The way to tell
if the starch has been cleared away is when your potatoes are in a
strainer run water over them and place a clear glass underneath and
make sure the water is not cloudy.
--

"There are idiots among us, and they all believe in a god"
~Toidi Uoy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 30, 2019 at 3:42:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> I recently tried a new way of clearing the excess starch off of
> potatoes before frying them to make french fries, and it works
> perfectly and it only takes about 5 minutes. I simply wash the raw
> potatoes in soap and water. Then rinse them very well. The way to tell
> if the starch has been cleared away is when your potatoes are in a
> strainer run water over them and place a clear glass underneath and
> make sure the water is not cloudy.

Plain water will work just as well unless you are using some odd variety of
potato.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 18:55:59 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 30, 2019 at 3:42:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>
>> I recently tried a new way of clearing the excess starch off of
>> potatoes before frying them to make french fries, and it works
>> perfectly and it only takes about 5 minutes. I simply wash the raw
>> potatoes in soap and water. Then rinse them very well. The way to tell
>> if the starch has been cleared away is when your potatoes are in a
>> strainer run water over them and place a clear glass underneath and
>> make sure the water is not cloudy.
>>

>Plain water will work just as well unless you are using some odd variety of
>potato.

Much easier method; it you don't want potato starch don't eat
potatoes, voila!... there is no way to wash away potato starch and
still have potatoes. In fact washing will wash away the vitamins and
minerals but will leave most of the starch until there's no potato
left... potato starch is not water soluable. I would suggest a
Mr./Mrs. Potatohead for turnips.
Less potato starch... the Christ family method:
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/5a/70/a8/5...851742eba4.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
>
> I recently tried a new way of clearing the excess starch off of
> potatoes before frying them to make french fries, and it works
> perfectly and it only takes about 5 minutes. I simply wash the raw
> potatoes in soap and water. Then rinse them very well. The way to tell
> if the starch has been cleared away is when your potatoes are in a
> strainer run water over them and place a clear glass underneath and
> make sure the water is not cloudy.
> --
>

> "There are idiots among us, and they all believe in a god"
> ~Toidi Uoy

Soap?! No thank you!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 Jul 2019 Jinx the Minx wrote:
><Christ wrote:
>>
>> I recently tried a new way of clearing the excess starch off of
>> potatoes before frying them to make french fries, and it works
>> perfectly and it only takes about 5 minutes. I simply wash the raw
>> potatoes in soap and water. Then rinse them very well. The way to tell
>> if the starch has been cleared away is when your potatoes are in a
>> strainer run water over them and place a clear glass underneath and
>> make sure the water is not cloudy.

>Soap?! No thank you!

Professional kitchens do not permit soap or glass... but then Christ
doesn't cook.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JBurns wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 22:49:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> >Here at the goat barn we use OS water. Yep, dug a trench to an open
> >sewer behind the barn and get free water. More flavor than the RO stuff.

> You too? It must be common amongst we goat barn dwellers.

In my past, I've lived in a couple of goat barns. Only downside I
found there was the damn crickets sneak into your house and find
their way to some hidden place, like underneath your bedroom
dresser. Then they sit and wait until about 2am to start their
chirping. Evil little creatures.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Jul 2019 09:14:37 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>JBurns wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 22:49:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>> >Here at the goat barn we use OS water. Yep, dug a trench to an open
>> >sewer behind the barn and get free water. More flavor than the RO stuff.

>> You too? It must be common amongst we goat barn dwellers.

>In my past, I've lived in a couple of goat barns. Only downside I
>found there was the damn crickets sneak into your house and find
>their way to some hidden place, like underneath your bedroom
>dresser. Then they sit and wait until about 2am to start their
>chirping. Evil little creatures.

You need a ferret,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>
> I recently tried a new way of clearing the excess starch off of
> potatoes before frying them to make french fries, and it works
> perfectly and it only takes about 5 minutes. I simply wash the raw
> potatoes in soap and water. Then rinse them very well. The way to tell
> if the starch has been cleared away is when your potatoes are in a
> strainer run water over them and place a clear glass underneath and
> make sure the water is not cloudy.

OMG! Soap? All you have to do is soak the cut potatoes in cold water and
drain. You can even repeat the process several times. My mom did this. My
grandma did this. My great grandma did this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A guinea fowl would likely eat crickets but I wouldn't want a guinea fowl in the house either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/1/2019 4:08 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>>
>> I recently tried a new way of clearing the excess starch off of
>> potatoes before frying them to make french fries, and it works
>> perfectly and it only takes about 5 minutes. I simply wash the raw
>> potatoes in soap and water. Then rinse them very well. The way to tell
>> if the starch has been cleared away is when your potatoes are in a
>> strainer run water over them and place a clear glass underneath and
>> make sure the water is not cloudy.

> OMG! Soap? All you have to do is soak the cut potatoes in cold water and
> drain. You can even repeat the process several times. My mom did this.
> My grandma did this. My great grandma did this.

Agreed! Most everyone except this poster knows this. Aciduated water
(lemon juice or a bit of white vinegar) if you're going to leave sliced
potatoes for French Fries sitting for any length of time to prevent
discoloration. Rinse in fresh cold water, a few times. No one in their
right mind thinks washing potatoes with soap is a good idea.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 13:08:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .

>> I recently tried a new way of clearing the excess starch off of
>> potatoes before frying them to make french fries, and it works
>> perfectly and it only takes about 5 minutes. I simply wash the raw
>> potatoes in soap and water. Then rinse them very well. The way to tell
>> if the starch has been cleared away is when your potatoes are in a
>> strainer run water over them and place a clear glass underneath and
>> make sure the water is not cloudy.

>OMG! Soap? All you have to do is soak the cut potatoes in cold water and
>drain.

Yeah soak them for what 10-20 minutes? I can wash them and have them
in the air fryer in about 7 minutes.

>ou can even repeat the process several times. My mom did this. My
>grandma did this. My great grandma did this.

I wash them and wash the excess starch of quickly then I can pat them
dry and have them frying

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 12:47:58 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 13:08:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> > wrote in message
> .. .
> >>
> >> I recently tried a new way of clearing the excess starch off of
> >> potatoes before frying them to make french fries, and it works
> >> perfectly and it only takes about 5 minutes. I simply wash the raw
> >> potatoes in soap and water. Then rinse them very well. The way to tell
> >> if the starch has been cleared away is when your potatoes are in a
> >> strainer run water over them and place a clear glass underneath and
> >> make sure the water is not cloudy.

> >OMG! Soap? All you have to do is soak the cut potatoes in cold water and
> >drain.

> Yeah soak them for what 10-20 minutes? I can wash them and have them
> in the air fryer in about 7 minutes.
>
> >ou can even repeat the process several times. My mom did this. My
> >grandma did this. My great grandma did this.

> I wash them and wash the excess starch of quickly then I can pat them
> dry and have them frying
>
> --
>
> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

I just stick the cut potatoes in the dish washer and go through a complete cycle. After that, they go straight into the deep fryer. Because of the drying cycle, they're partly cooked already. I got the idea from Martha Stewart.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I too had crickets. A new 9 volt fixed that. Today.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 16:22:56 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 12:47:58 PM UTC-10, wrote:
>> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 13:08:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >OMG! Soap? All you have to do is soak the cut potatoes in cold water and
>> >drain.

>> Yeah soak them for what 10-20 minutes? I can wash them and have them
>> in the air fryer in about 7 minutes.
>>
>> >ou can even repeat the process several times. My mom did this. My
>> >grandma did this. My great grandma did this.

>> I wash them and wash the excess starch of quickly then I can pat them
>> dry and have them frying
>>
>> --
>>
>> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

>I just stick the cut potatoes in the dish washer and go through a complete cycle. After that, they go straight into the deep fryer. Because of the drying cycle, they're partly cooked already. I got the idea from Martha Stewart.

Yes I see how that could work, but if you have a dishwasher from this
decade the wash and dry cycle can take hours. Although if you are
doing up large quantities of fries then freezing them as I do then
that could be a good alternative I suppose.
Yes the fries will get partially cooked in the dry cycle.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____