Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default New French Fry method

On 7/1/2019 4:08 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>>
>> I recently tried a new way of clearing the excess starch off of
>> potatoes before frying them to make french fries, and it works
>> perfectly and it only takes about 5 minutes. I simply wash the raw
>> potatoes in soap and water. Then rinse them very well. The way to tell
>> if the starch has been cleared away is when your potatoes are in a
>> strainer run water over them and place a clear glass underneath and
>> make sure the water is not cloudy.

> OMG! Soap? All you have to do is soak the cut potatoes in cold water and
> drain. You can even repeat the process several times. My mom did this.
> My grandma did this. My great grandma did this.

Agreed! Most everyone except this poster knows this. Aciduated water
(lemon juice or a bit of white vinegar) if you're going to leave sliced
potatoes for French Fries sitting for any length of time to prevent
discoloration. Rinse in fresh cold water, a few times. No one in their
right mind thinks washing potatoes with soap is a good idea.

Jill