Old 10-02-2019, 06:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Purging the freezer

Having used the chest freezer to store stuff while we waited for the new
freezer I realized how badly it was in need of defrosting and purging.
holy cow there is a lot of mysteries in there. There are containers of
stuff that I don't even know what they are. There are several half
loaves of very dried out old bread, old yogurt containers with various
soups and sauces.

It's a nice cold day here, so everything from the freezer is sitting in
laundry baskets in my car. The ice should be falling off the sides
pretty soon. I think that only about half that stuff is going back into it.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
Having used the chest freezer to store stuff while we waited for the new
freezer I realized how badly it was in need of defrosting and purging.
holy cow there is a lot of mysteries in there. There are containers of
stuff that I don't even know what they are. There are several half
loaves of very dried out old bread, old yogurt containers with various
soups and sauces.

It's a nice cold day here, so everything from the freezer is sitting in
laundry baskets in my car. The ice should be falling off the sides
pretty soon. I think that only about half that stuff is going back into it.

Take a tip from Popeye, and just throw all that stuff out yoose window.

Old 11-02-2019, 12:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 11:23:48 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

Having used the chest freezer to store stuff while we waited for the new
freezer I realized how badly it was in need of defrosting and purging.
holy cow there is a lot of mysteries in there. There are containers of
stuff that I don't even know what they are. There are several half
loaves of very dried out old bread, old yogurt containers with various
soups and sauces.

Have you ever considered a Food Saver vacuum machine?
Old 11-02-2019, 01:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 12:25 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
Having used the chest freezer to store stuff while we waited for the new
freezer I realized how badly it was in need of defrosting and purging.
holy cow there is a lot of mysteries in there.* There are containers of
stuff that I don't even know what they are.* There are several half
loaves of very dried out old bread, old yogurt containers with various
soups and sauces.

Ay yay yay! You didn't have a frost free freezer? I cannot imagine! I
have vague memories of having to chip ice out an old freezer on top of a
refrigerator.

Didn't you label and date the stuff you've put in the freezer? That's
freezer lesson 101. That and use the FIFO method - first in, first out.
shuffle things around.

I've always hated the idea of a chest-type freezer. Now you know why.
Things tend to get lost in there. I've got a small upright and
everything goes in and out with labels. Dates and times. Meats go on
the top shelf, frozen veggies and homemade freezer meals on the middle
shelf, etc. Butter and freezable cheeses are on the shelves on the
door. I'm all about organization.

It's a nice cold day here, so everything from the freezer is sitting in
laundry baskets in my car.* The ice should be falling off the sides
pretty soon. I think that only about half that stuff is going back into it.

I hope you enjoy you new refrigerator. It sounds nice.

Jill

Old 11-02-2019, 02:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-10 7:48 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 2/10/2019 12:25 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
Having used the chest freezer to store stuff while we waited for the
new freezer I realized how badly it was in need of defrosting and
purging. holy cow there is a lot of mysteries in there.* There are
containers of stuff that I don't even know what they are.* There are
several half loaves of very dried out old bread, old yogurt containers
with various soups and sauces.

Ay yay yay!* You didn't have a frost free freezer?* I cannot imagine!* I
have vague memories of having to chip ice out an old freezer on top of a
refrigerator.

It was a cheap freezer that I needed immediately at the time. It has
lasted 24 years... so far.

Didn't you label and date the stuff you've put in the freezer?* That's
freezer lesson 101.* That and use the FIFO method - first in, first out.
*shuffle things around.

I thing I mentioned that the labels were blurred... faded from age.
Those things got chucked. In threads about leftovers I have mentioned
that I don't often do the leftover thing.I was surprised to find so much
of that sort of stuff in there.

I've always hated the idea of a chest-type freezer.* Now you know why.
Things tend to get lost in there.* I've got a small upright and
everything goes in and out with labels.

I don't really use that freeze much myself.

Dates and times.* Meats go on
the top shelf, frozen veggies and homemade freezer meals on the middle
shelf, etc.* Butter and freezable cheeses are on the shelves on the
door.* I'm all about organization.

Organization has never been my forte.

It's a nice cold day here, so everything from the freezer is sitting
in laundry baskets in my car.* The ice should be falling off the sides
pretty soon. I think that only about half that stuff is going back
into it.

I hope you enjoy you new refrigerator.* It sounds nice.

Thanks. I am happy with it. My wife is thrilled. She has wanted a
bottom mount model for a long time. She trusted me to go out shopping
for one. The only snag was when is showed up with the door mounted on
the wrong side, but that small problem was dealt with.

Old 11-02-2019, 02:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 19:48:17 -0500, jmcquown
wrote:

[...]

a Sharpie pen and a roll of masking tape are wonderful freezer
accessories.
Janet US
Old 11-02-2019, 03:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Having used the chest freezer to store stuff while we waited for the new
freezer I realized how badly it was in need of defrosting and purging.
holy cow there is a lot of mysteries in there. There are containers of
stuff that I don't even know what they are. There are several half loaves
of very dried out old bread, old yogurt containers with various soups and
sauces.

It's a nice cold day here, so everything from the freezer is sitting in
laundry baskets in my car. The ice should be falling off the sides pretty
soon. I think that only about half that stuff is going back into it.

That's why I try not to freeze that sort of stuff.

Old 11-02-2019, 03:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 8:26 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
a Sharpie pen and a roll of masking tape are wonderful freezer
accessories.
Janet US

Absolutely! And shuffling things around as you add new items to the
freezer. Take what is in the back/bottom and move it towards the front.

Jill
Old 11-02-2019, 03:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 9:07 PM, jmcquown wrote:

Absolutely!* And shuffling things around as you add new items to the
freezer.* Take what is in the back/bottom and move it towards the front.

Last fall when Ron took the express route off the roof and I had to
do all the food providing on top of everything else, I was happy to
mine the freezer. Nothing was really lost, being a side by side,
but I did get to arrange things by category (vegetables, meat) so
I knew what we had, and was happy to find containers of chili, sauce,
stuff like that to make my life simpler.

I found it much easier to keep the freezer neat when it was just
me putting food in there.

nancy

Old 11-02-2019, 03:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 9:27 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
On 2/10/2019 9:07 PM, jmcquown wrote:

Absolutely!* And shuffling things around as you add new items to the
freezer.* Take what is in the back/bottom and move it towards the front.

Last fall when Ron took the express route off the roof and I had to
do all the food providing on top of everything else, I was happy to
mine the freezer.* Nothing was really lost, being a side by side,
but I did get to arrange things by category (vegetables, meat) so
I knew what we had, and was happy to find containers of chili, sauce,
stuff like that to make my life simpler.

I found it much easier to keep the freezer neat when it was just
me putting food in there.

nancy

I'm sure it does help if there's only one person dealing with what goes
in and out of the freezer. Labels (a sharpie and tape) on the
containers, as Janet US mentioned, are essential. Things still get lost
occasionally. But it's nothing like finding something completely
ancient and freezer burned from years ago. What the heck is this? If
you don't know what it is, throw it out. (laugh)

Jill
Old 11-02-2019, 04:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 9:37 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 2/10/2019 9:27 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

I found it much easier to keep the freezer neat when it was just
me putting food in there.

I'm sure it does help if there's only one person dealing with what goes
in and out of the freezer.* Labels (a sharpie and tape) on the
containers, as Janet US mentioned, are essential.* Things still get lost
occasionally.* But it's nothing like finding something completely
ancient and freezer burned from years ago.* What the heck is this?* If
you don't know what it is, throw it out. (laugh)

You got that right, I have come across things in my life where I
think I just threw out the thing container and all because it
looked like a science experiment. I'm more organized these days.

nancy
Old 11-02-2019, 05:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 10:22 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

You got that right, I have come across things in my life where I
think I just threw out the thing container and all because it
looked like a science experiment.* I'm more organized these days.

nancy

I imagine everyone that has a freezer has done that a couple of times.

For years we found the freezer to be very useful but not so much any
more. Our lives have changed over the years so it is not utilized as much.

There are two of us instead of four, no teenage guests any more either.
We no longer freeze loads of veggies or fruits from the garden or at the
peak of the season from the farmer's market.

Retired, I have time to go to the market more often and track down the
bargains for the meal of the day. No need to have a big inventory on
hand. There are always a few choices though, a couple of different
meats, some seafood, and always chicken parts and a selection of
vegetables.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 7:48:24 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
On 2/10/2019 12:25 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
Having used the chest freezer to store stuff while we waited for the new
freezer I realized how badly it was in need of defrosting and purging.
holy cow there is a lot of mysteries in there.* There are containers of
stuff that I don't even know what they are.* There are several half
loaves of very dried out old bread, old yogurt containers with various
soups and sauces.

Ay yay yay! You didn't have a frost free freezer? I cannot imagine! I
have vague memories of having to chip ice out an old freezer on top of a
refrigerator.

Frost-free freezers aren't as good for long-term storage because they
warm up a little bit every defrost cycle.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 11-02-2019, 03:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Jill McQuown wrote:
Ay yay yay! You didn't have a frost free freezer? I cannot imagine! I
have vague memories of having to chip ice out an old freezer on top of a
refrigerator.

Frost-free freezers aren't as good for long-term storage because they
warm up a little bit every defrost cycle.

And chest freezers are best for that because the cold air doesn't
fall out every time you open the freezer. The side-by-side are
the least efficient. Open freezer door and immediately all the
cold air goes right out onto the floor.

I have a frost=free freezer on top of fridge. Thought the entire
machine was dead...warm temps top and bottom. This was just about
5-6 weeks ago. Turned out that my "frost-free" finally did frost
up and was causing all the problems. I defrosted it and it works
now better than it has for years.

Brand is Whirlpool and it's a small and probably the cheapest one
they sold with freezer over fridge. I got it brand new about 25
years ago. Frost free all those years until last month.

Size: (outside dimensions) a 28" wide by 28" deep by 62" tall
Many here will gasp at size but it's been quite fine for me and
when daughter lived here.

Probably the most redeeming feature with a cheap appliance is...
no extra nonsense that can break. No icemaker and no digital
nonsense either.

This cute little Whirlpool is the Energizer Fridge, keeps going
and going..........

New freezer Silvar Beitel[_3_] General Cooking 237 14-10-2018 08:28 AM
What is in your freezer? zxcvbob Preserving 2 16-11-2009 08:39 PM
Freezer jam [email protected] General Cooking 4 30-04-2007 10:13 PM
carboy purging treetoad Winemaking 6 08-03-2005 03:05 AM
Suggestions for replacing a dead Sub-Zero freezer (besides a _new_Sub-Zero freezer...) Ted Goldblatt Cooking Equipment 2 28-08-2004 01:23 PM