Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Purging the freezer

On 2019-02-10 6:54 p.m., wrote:
> On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 11:23:48 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Having used the chest freezer to store stuff while we waited for the new
>> freezer I realized how badly it was in need of defrosting and purging.
>> holy cow there is a lot of mysteries in there. There are containers of
>> stuff that I don't even know what they are. There are several half
>> loaves of very dried out old bread, old yogurt containers with various
>> soups and sauces.
>>

> Have you ever considered a Food Saver vacuum machine?

I have one. I had not used it for a while and the last time I needed it
I had trouble with it because I had forgotten the process. I keep
meaning to give it a test drive. I was going to do that before my next
run to Costco. Having bought the new fridge and then cleaning out the
chest freezer I realized I don't need to go there for a while. I need to
use up what we already have. There is already a bag and half of salmon
fillets, a bag of sole fillets, 2 1/2 bags of shrimp, three packages of
chicken breasts, a bag of frozen mangoes, avocados, peas, a pack of all
beef wieners plus several bags of rhubarb and three bags each with two
portions of pulled pork leftover from Superbowl.

Maybe tomorrow I will get the Foodsaver out and practice with it.