treetoad

Default carboy purging

READ IN A BOOK ABOUT THE DESIRE TO KEEP AIR AWAY FROM WHITE WINES
DURING RACKING AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE TO AVOID OXIDATION.THE AUTHOR USED A
BOTTLE OF ARGON W/REGULATOR TO PURGE RECIEVING CARBOYS FIRST,THEN
INTRODUCE THE GAS TO THE TOP OF THE CARBOY HE WAS SIPHONING OUT OF
DURING THE RACKING(VERY LOW PRESSURE ABOVE THE WINE).ARGON IS
EXPENSIVE...........CAN I USE CO2 FOR THE SAME THING?IT'S
ODORLESS,ETC,AND I WOULDN'T BE BUBBLING IT THROUGH THE WINE OR
ANYTHING,JUST PURGING.I'D APPRECIATE ANY THOUGHTS/OPINIONS.

Gerald Todd

"treetoad" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> READ IN A BOOK ABOUT THE DESIRE TO KEEP AIR AWAY FROM WHITE WINES
> DURING RACKING AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE TO AVOID OXIDATION.THE AUTHOR USED A
> BOTTLE OF ARGON W/REGULATOR TO PURGE RECIEVING CARBOYS FIRST,THEN
> INTRODUCE THE GAS TO THE TOP OF THE CARBOY HE WAS SIPHONING OUT OF
> DURING THE RACKING(VERY LOW PRESSURE ABOVE THE WINE).ARGON IS
> EXPENSIVE...........CAN I USE CO2 FOR THE SAME THING?IT'S
> ODORLESS,ETC,AND I WOULDN'T BE BUBBLING IT THROUGH THE WINE OR
> ANYTHING,JUST PURGING.I'D APPRECIATE ANY THOUGHTS/OPINIONS.

I'm doing this with a Hurricane Quick Shot CO2 inflator (sold through bike
shops). It was about $9.50 and 12 gram cartridges are about $12 for 25 at
Walmart. I drilled a hole in the fid of my primary fermenter (bucket) and
put a tire valve stem in it. When racking into a carboy I use 4 straws
taped together and squirt the CO2 in as close to the bottom as I can without
compromising sterility. Does it do any good? Maybe, maybe not. I'm new to
this and it seemed a cheap way to help optimize conditions.

Gerald
Todd

Rob

CO2 can be used, as long as you don't hold it under pressure, and as
long as there's little head-space remaining after racking. You can
carbonate the wine if you aren't careful, and that's why they use inert
gasses like argon or nitrogen instead.

Rob

Joe Sallustio

Topping and airlock maintenance are cheaper and very effective. Just
top your wine to withing 1/2" of the neck and cover it up weith an
airlock or stopper if it's still and the temperature will remain the
same.

You can do the CO2 thing, but normally you bubble gas through a
dispersion tube into the wine. The inert gases make much more sense
than CO2 as Rob stated. Just a heads up, there are different levels of
quality (grades) for gases, I'm not sure I would use just any source.
It may be worthwile to contact the manufacturer to be on the safe side
when using it for food.

Joe

Gerald Todd

"Joe Sallustio" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Topping and airlock maintenance are cheaper and very effective. Just
> top your wine to withing 1/2" of the neck and cover it up weith an
> airlock or stopper if it's still and the temperature will remain the
> same.
>
> You can do the CO2 thing, but normally you bubble gas through a
> dispersion tube into the wine. The inert gases make much more sense
> than CO2 as Rob stated. Just a heads up, there are different levels of
> quality (grades) for gases, I'm not sure I would use just any source.
> It may be worthwile to contact the manufacturer to be on the safe side
> when using it for food.
>
> Joe

Points well taken. Thanks

Gerald
Todd

Gerald Todd

"Joe Sallustio" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Topping and airlock maintenance are cheaper and very effective. Just
> top your wine to withing 1/2" of the neck and cover it up weith an
> airlock or stopper if it's still and the temperature will remain the
> same.
>
> You can do the CO2 thing, but normally you bubble gas through a
> dispersion tube into the wine. The inert gases make much more sense
> than CO2 as Rob stated. Just a heads up, there are different levels of
> quality (grades) for gases, I'm not sure I would use just any source.
> It may be worthwile to contact the manufacturer to be on the safe side
> when using it for food.
>
> Joe

Points well taken. Thanks

Gerald
Todd

Todd,

If you want my 2 cents, I agree with Joe. If your just starting out
don't worry about the CO2 or Argon. Actually, even if your not just
starting out inert gas is a luxury which from my experience is
unnecessary. My problem has been that the CO2 from the ferment isn't
totally gone from the wine when I'm about to bottle. It's actually kind
of comforting to know that there is still CO2 in the wine which means
that it was well protected from oxygen. Even if you make white wines if
you top up and make sure the airlocks are on tight and they are filled
with meta solution your wines will turn out fine. Don;'t worry and have
fun.

Bob

Carboy Cleaning Wayne Harris Winemaking 13 21-06-2008 10:26 PM
Carboy - How full? Mark Winemaking 7 25-11-2006 05:14 PM
carboy top off with CO2 [email protected] Winemaking 30 09-11-2006 11:19 PM
Topping up the carboy [email protected] Winemaking 8 14-01-2006 08:37 PM
Carboy Tap David J. Winemaking 6 15-08-2005 02:55 AM