Old 10-02-2019, 03:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Question about whistling tea kettles

"Jeus" wrote:

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 15:31:43 -0700, Worker
wrote:

I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use
it because we had one like it when I was a kid.

However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on
my nerves.

Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you
know, people instead of ads.

Why not just modify the whistle in the kettle you already have?

I duct-taped a harmonica to the end of mine.
When water boils furiously, it plays a soft chord.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use
it because we had one like it when I was a kid.

However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on
my nerves.

Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you
know, people instead of ads.

Why not just modify the whistle in the kettle you already have?

1) Don't want to screw with a nice vintage kettle and
2) I can only enlarge the hole, which would merely reduce the pitch and
might not solve the problem. Once done, it could not be undone.

But thanks for asking a reasonable question. I am in the prcess of
giving it a good cleaning. We have very hard water and it might be that
mineral buildup on the whistle has altered it somewhat. I've got warm
vinegar water in the kettle now. I wonder whether some small, clean
pebbles might not help the process along.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 21:31:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Worker" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use it
because we had one like it when I was a kid.

However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on my
nerves.

Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you know,
people instead of ads.

Thanks!

I've had a variety of them over the years. All sound pretty much the same. I
bought an electric kettle. It's faster and it shuts off.

We use an electric tea kettle too, shuts off soon as the water boils,
no more boiled dry burnt kettles, If you miss hearing the water boil
and shut off just hit the button and it's boiling again in like 15
seconds. An electric tea kettle is about twice as fast as a stove
top. I don't like using a microwave to boil a cup of water. Can't
tell yoose how many times even though I hear the timer's dings I
forget to retrieve the cup, sometimes the next morning I'm looking for
my cup and finally find it in the microwave, still contains the half
cup of coffee I was reheating.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 04:01:05 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 5:31:47 PM UTC-5, Worker wrote:
I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use
it because we had one like it when I was a kid.

However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on
my nerves.

Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you
know, people instead of ads.

Thanks!

I had a Chantal that sounded much better than average. It cost
much more than average, too:

https://www.amazon.com/Chantal-Stainless-Steel-Classic-Teakettle/dp/B00004RD9Q

We much prefer an electric teakettle, there are many to choose from:
https://www.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF8&no...l_8m3uzfrjz0_e
We've had a Braun for 15 years but it seems it's no longer made for
the US voltage.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

We use an electric tea kettle too,

Another fool....spending extra money just to boil a cup or two of
water. LOL.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

We much prefer an electric teakettle,

Dumbass.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 1:45 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

Wow. Sheldon finally says something that makes sense and you dumped on
him for it.* Electric kettles to make good sense. They are a very
efficient way to boil water. Most of them also have that safety
mechanism that shuts them off when the water has come to a boil, which
saves energy and reduces the risk of boiling the kettle dry.* I even use
my electric kettle to heat up water for cooking. If I am preparing to
cook pasta I can heat the water in a kettle in a couple minutes, much
faster than heating it up on a burner.

Sheldon does sometimes make sense.
Like you, I use my electric kettle to start the water for pasta.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

wrote:

We much prefer an electric teakettle,

Dumbass.

==

Why?

Old 10-02-2019, 07:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 21:31:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Worker" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
[...]

Yoose need a hearing aid Popeye.

Question about electric kettles.. Rainy Tea 5 07-10-2008 05:16 AM
My Whistling Video Perk Rhymes Wit Jerk Off Rhymes Wit Cough General Cooking 4 13-04-2008 09:11 PM
Kettles Bluesea Tea 6 11-02-2005 05:04 AM
Whistling Pie Bird? Les Stewart General Cooking 11 26-06-2004 11:28 PM
Electric Kettles Mike Petro Tea 25 20-01-2004 04:44 AM