FoodBanter.com

-   -   Question about whistling tea kettles (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/445832-question-about-whistling-tea.html)

Worker 09-02-2019 10:31 PM

Question about whistling tea kettles

I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use
it because we had one like it when I was a kid.

However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on
my nerves.

Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you
know, people instead of ads.

Thanks!

jmcquown[_2_] 09-02-2019 11:21 PM

On 2/9/2019 5:31 PM, Worker wrote:
> I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use
> it because we had one like it when I was a kid.

I inherited the Revereware kettle Mom had when I was a kid.

> However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on
> my nerves.

What would you like to hear, little birdies chirping? (j/k) You're not
supposed to sit and listen to it wail. ;) It only takes a few seconds
off the heat to simmer down. (get it? simmer down?)

> Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
> awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
> listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you know,
> people instead of ads.
>
> Thanks!

Sorry, no recommendations. On the rare occasions I use it I'm nearly
always in the kitchen so when it starts to whistle I just move it off
the heat. That shuts it up. :)

Jill

Hank Rogers[_2_] 09-02-2019 11:21 PM

Worker wrote:
> I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use
> it because we had one like it when I was a kid.
>
> However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on
> my nerves.
>
> Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
> awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
> listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you know,
> people instead of ads.
>
> Thanks!

You can simply drill a 1/4 inch hole it the top of the kettle, and it
will make little or no noise.

[email protected][_2_] 09-02-2019 11:41 PM

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 5:21:08 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:

> Sorry, no recommendations. On the rare occasions I use it I'm nearly
> always in the kitchen so when it starts to whistle I just move it off
> the heat. That shuts it up. :)
>
> Jill

Why is the simplest task so hard for some to grasp such as this one for the
poster named 'Worker'?

Bruce[_28_] 09-02-2019 11:53 PM

Question about whistling tea kettles

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 15:41:45 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 5:21:08 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, no recommendations. On the rare occasions I use it I'm nearly
>> always in the kitchen so when it starts to whistle I just move it off
>> the heat. That shuts it up. :)
>>
>> Jill
>>

>Why is the simplest task so hard for some to grasp such as this one for the
>poster named 'Worker'?

Maybe they first want to sing along with their kettle for a couple of
minutes, before they turn it off?

Thomas[_4_] 10-02-2019 12:05 AM

Question about whistling tea kettles

Check out K cups?

Dave Smith[_1_] 10-02-2019 12:12 AM

On 2019-02-09 6:41 p.m., wrote:
> On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 5:21:08 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, no recommendations. On the rare occasions I use it I'm nearly
>> always in the kitchen so when it starts to whistle I just move it off
>> the heat. That shuts it up. :)
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Why is the simplest task so hard for some to grasp such as this one for the
> poster named 'Worker'?

Why is it so hard for people to spot the troll?

[email protected][_2_] 10-02-2019 01:35 AM

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 6:11:16 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2019-02-09 6:41 p.m., wrote:
> >
> > Why is the simplest task so hard for some to grasp such as this one for the
> > poster named 'Worker'?
> >

> Why is it so hard for people to spot the troll?

It could be a troll or it could be a clueless newbie in the kitchen.

[email protected] 10-02-2019 01:48 AM

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 Thomas canopeily wrote:

>Check out K cups?

K cups gotta be some humongus bazooms.

Hank Rogers[_2_] 10-02-2019 02:09 AM

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-02-09 6:41 p.m., wrote:
>> On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 5:21:08 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>> Sorry, no recommendations. On the rare occasions I use it I'm nearly
>>> always in the kitchen so when it starts to whistle I just move it off
>>> the heat. That shuts it up. :)
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> Why is the simplest task so hard for some to grasp such as this one
>> for the
>> poster named 'Worker'?
>>

> Why is it so hard for people to spot the troll?

Because they aren't Scientologists ?

Sqwertz[_53_] 10-02-2019 04:43 AM

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 15:31:43 -0700, Worker wrote:

> I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use
> it because we had one like it when I was a kid.
>
> However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on
> my nerves.
>
> Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
> awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
> listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you
> know, people instead of ads.
>
> Thanks!

I have a microwave that heats water than dings or beeps (user set!).

-sw

Julie Bove[_2_] 10-02-2019 05:31 AM

"Worker" > wrote in message
>I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use it
>because we had one like it when I was a kid.
>
> However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on my
> nerves.
>
> Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
> awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
> listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you know,
> people instead of ads.
>
> Thanks!

I've had a variety of them over the years. All sound pretty much the same. I
bought an electric kettle. It's faster and it shuts off.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 10-02-2019 12:01 PM

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 5:31:47 PM UTC-5, Worker wrote:
> I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use
> it because we had one like it when I was a kid.
>
> However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on
> my nerves.
>
> Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
> awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
> listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you
> know, people instead of ads.
>
> Thanks!

I had a Chantal that sounded much better than average. It cost
much more than average, too:

<https://www.amazon.com/Chantal-Stainless-Steel-Classic-Teakettle/dp/B00004RD9Q>

Cindy Hamilton

Jeßus[_55_] 10-02-2019 12:13 PM

wrote:

>I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use
>it because we had one like it when I was a kid.
>
>However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on
>my nerves.
>
>Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
>awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
>listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you
>know, people instead of ads.

Why not just modify the whistle in the kettle you already have?

[email protected] 10-02-2019 12:34 PM

Question about whistling tea kettles

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 20:09:37 -0600, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Why is the simplest task so hard for some to grasp such as this one
>>> for the
>>> poster named 'Worker'?
>>>

>> Why is it so hard for people to spot the troll?
>>

>Because they aren't Scientologists ?

Maybe they just don't know everything like Dave ??

Dave Smith[_1_] 10-02-2019 02:42 PM

wrote:

>>> Why is it so hard for people to spot the troll?
>>>

>> Because they aren't Scientologists ?
>>

> Maybe they just don't know everything like Dave ??

Even that troll is smarter than you.

Gary 10-02-2019 03:01 PM

"Jeßus" wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 15:31:43 -0700, Worker >
> wrote:
>
> >I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use
> >it because we had one like it when I was a kid.
> >
> >However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on
> >my nerves.
> >
> >Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
> >awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
> >listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you
> >know, people instead of ads.

> Why not just modify the whistle in the kettle you already have?

I duct-taped a harmonica to the end of mine.
When water boils furiously, it plays a soft chord. ;)

Worker 10-02-2019 05:00 PM

On 2019-02-10 12:13:17 +0000, Jeßus said:

> On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 15:31:43 -0700, Worker >
> wrote:
>
>> I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use
>> it because we had one like it when I was a kid.
>>
>> However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on
>> my nerves.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
>> awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
>> listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you
>> know, people instead of ads.

> Why not just modify the whistle in the kettle you already have?

1) Don't want to screw with a nice vintage kettle and
2) I can only enlarge the hole, which would merely reduce the pitch and
might not solve the problem. Once done, it could not be undone.

But thanks for asking a reasonable question. I am in the prcess of
giving it a good cleaning. We have very hard water and it might be that
mineral buildup on the whistle has altered it somewhat. I've got warm
vinegar water in the kettle now. I wonder whether some small, clean
pebbles might not help the process along.

[email protected] 10-02-2019 05:24 PM

Question about whistling tea kettles

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 21:31:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Worker" > wrote in message
>>I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use it
>>because we had one like it when I was a kid.
>>
>> However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on my
>> nerves.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
>> awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
>> listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you know,
>> people instead of ads.
>>
>> Thanks!

>I've had a variety of them over the years. All sound pretty much the same. I
>bought an electric kettle. It's faster and it shuts off.

We use an electric tea kettle too, shuts off soon as the water boils,
no more boiled dry burnt kettles, If you miss hearing the water boil
and shut off just hit the button and it's boiling again in like 15
seconds. An electric tea kettle is about twice as fast as a stove
top. I don't like using a microwave to boil a cup of water. Can't
tell yoose how many times even though I hear the timer's dings I
forget to retrieve the cup, sometimes the next morning I'm looking for
my cup and finally find it in the microwave, still contains the half
cup of coffee I was reheating.

[email protected] 10-02-2019 05:37 PM

Question about whistling tea kettles

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 04:01:05 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 5:31:47 PM UTC-5, Worker wrote:
>> I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use
>> it because we had one like it when I was a kid.
>>
>> However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on
>> my nerves.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
>> awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
>> listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you
>> know, people instead of ads.
>>
>> Thanks!

>I had a Chantal that sounded much better than average. It cost
>much more than average, too:
>
><https://www.amazon.com/Chantal-Stainless-Steel-Classic-Teakettle/dp/B00004RD9Q>

We much prefer an electric teakettle, there are many to choose from:
https://www.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF8&no...l_8m3uzfrjz0_e
We've had a Braun for 15 years but it seems it's no longer made for
the US voltage.

Gary 10-02-2019 06:18 PM

wrote:

> We use an electric tea kettle too,

Another fool....spending extra money just to boil a cup or two of
water. LOL.

Gary 10-02-2019 06:20 PM

wrote:

> We much prefer an electric teakettle,

Dumbass. ;)

Bruce[_28_] 10-02-2019 06:44 PM

Question about whistling tea kettles

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:45:25 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-02-10 1:18 p.m., Gary wrote:
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> We use an electric tea kettle too,

>> Another fool....spending extra money just to boil a cup or two of
>> water. LOL.
>>

>Wow. Sheldon finally says something that makes sense and you dumped on
>him for it. Electric kettles to make good sense. They are a very
>efficient way to boil water. Most of them also have that safety
>mechanism that shuts them off when the water has come to a boil, which
>saves energy and reduces the risk of boiling the kettle dry. I even use
>my electric kettle to heat up water for cooking. If I am preparing to
>cook pasta I can heat the water in a kettle in a couple minutes, much
>faster than heating it up on a burner.

Gary was just teasing.

Dave Smith[_1_] 10-02-2019 06:45 PM

S Viemeister[_2_] 10-02-2019 07:08 PM

On 2/10/2019 1:45 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Wow. Sheldon finally says something that makes sense and you dumped on
> him for it.Â* Electric kettles to make good sense. They are a very
> efficient way to boil water. Most of them also have that safety
> mechanism that shuts them off when the water has come to a boil, which
> saves energy and reduces the risk of boiling the kettle dry.Â* I even use
> my electric kettle to heat up water for cooking. If I am preparing to
> cook pasta I can heat the water in a kettle in a couple minutes, much
> faster than heating it up on a burner.

Sheldon does sometimes make sense.
Like you, I use my electric kettle to start the water for pasta.

Ophelia[_16_] 10-02-2019 07:37 PM

"Gary" wrote in message ...

wrote:

> We much prefer an electric teakettle,

Dumbass. ;)

==

Why?

Ophelia[_16_] 10-02-2019 07:38 PM

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 2/10/2019 1:45 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Wow. Sheldon finally says something that makes sense and you dumped on
> him for it. Electric kettles to make good sense. They are a very
> efficient way to boil water. Most of them also have that safety
> mechanism that shuts them off when the water has come to a boil, which
> saves energy and reduces the risk of boiling the kettle dry. I even use
> my electric kettle to heat up water for cooking. If I am preparing to
> cook pasta I can heat the water in a kettle in a couple minutes, much
> faster than heating it up on a burner.

Sheldon does sometimes make sense.
Like you, I use my electric kettle to start the water for pasta.

---

Same he)

Hank Rogers[_2_] 10-02-2019 07:49 PM

wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 21:31:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Worker" > wrote in message
>>> I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use it
>>> because we had one like it when I was a kid.
>>>
>>> However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on my
>>> nerves.
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
>>> awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
>>> listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you know,
>>> people instead of ads.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> I've had a variety of them over the years. All sound pretty much the same. I
>> bought an electric kettle. It's faster and it shuts off.

> We use an electric tea kettle too, shuts off soon as the water boils,
> no more boiled dry burnt kettles, If you miss hearing the water boil
> and shut off just hit the button and it's boiling again in like 15
> seconds. An electric tea kettle is about twice as fast as a stove
> top. I don't like using a microwave to boil a cup of water. Can't
> tell yoose how many times even though I hear the timer's dings I
> forget to retrieve the cup, sometimes the next morning I'm looking for
> my cup and finally find it in the microwave, still contains the half
> cup of coffee I was reheating.

Yoose need a hearing aid Popeye.

dsi1[_2_] 10-02-2019 09:31 PM

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 8:18:30 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> wrote:
> >
> > We use an electric tea kettle too,

> Another fool....spending extra money just to boil a cup or two of
> water. LOL.

There's a cultural aspect to this electric kettle thing. My guess is that many homes in the UK will have one of those and it's similar to how the Japanese will have automatic rice cookers. The ones that I saw in the UK was just spiffy. It used induction heating and could boil water fast because they operate at a higher wattage than American - 3000W!

The Japanese also like to have hot water on hand. They favor insulated vacuum pots rather than the ones the Brits use. These pots are probably popular because these cultures are likely to drink tea at any time of the day. Americans don't use these things because they drink coffee. They mostly make coffee in the morning or purchase coffee when they need to during the day. You think they're stupid because you're not a tea drinker.

Ophelia[_16_] 11-02-2019 06:41 PM

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 8:18:30 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> wrote:
> >
> > We use an electric tea kettle too,

> Another fool....spending extra money just to boil a cup or two of
> water. LOL.

There's a cultural aspect to this electric kettle thing. My guess is that
many homes in the UK will have one of those and it's similar to how the
Japanese will have automatic rice cookers. The ones that I saw in the UK was
just spiffy. It used induction heating and could boil water fast because
they operate at a higher wattage than American - 3000W!

The Japanese also like to have hot water on hand. They favor insulated
vacuum pots rather than the ones the Brits use. These pots are probably
popular because these cultures are likely to drink tea at any time of the
day. Americans don't use these things because they drink coffee. They mostly
make coffee in the morning or purchase coffee when they need to during the
day. You think they're stupid because you're not a tea drinker.

==

We don't drink tea, but D does drink instant coffee. We do have an electric
kettle AND an electric rice cooker:))))

Nancy2[_2_] 11-02-2019 07:07 PM

Question about whistling tea kettles

All this talk of electric kettles and stove tops....wouldn't a microwave use less energy and be
faster?

N.

jmcquown[_8_] 11-02-2019 07:23 PM

Sheldon wrote :
> On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 Thomas canopeily wrote:
>>
>> Check out K cups?

> K cups gotta be some humongus bazooms.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Im using my hand
But thinking of you

Jill

dsi1[_2_] 11-02-2019 07:45 PM

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:43:55 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 8:18:30 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > We use an electric tea kettle too,

> > Another fool....spending extra money just to boil a cup or two of
> > water. LOL.

> There's a cultural aspect to this electric kettle thing. My guess is that
> many homes in the UK will have one of those and it's similar to how the
> Japanese will have automatic rice cookers. The ones that I saw in the UK was
> just spiffy. It used induction heating and could boil water fast because
> they operate at a higher wattage than American - 3000W!
>
> The Japanese also like to have hot water on hand. They favor insulated
> vacuum pots rather than the ones the Brits use. These pots are probably
> popular because these cultures are likely to drink tea at any time of the
> day. Americans don't use these things because they drink coffee. They mostly
> make coffee in the morning or purchase coffee when they need to during the
> day. You think they're stupid because you're not a tea drinker.
>
> ==
>
> We don't drink tea, but D does drink instant coffee. We do have an electric
> kettle AND an electric rice cooker:))))

In the US, the hotel rooms will usually have a drip coffee maker. Not so in the UK. Luckily, we had plenty of hot water and that instant coffee stuff was really appreciated! We drank a lot of it.

We have an electric kettle in a box in the kitchen. My daughter must have gotten that one. I have no idea what we can do with it since I only boil water in the mornings. To boil water, I use a saucepan - odd as that seems. My inventory is one electric kettle in a box and zero rice cooker. That's kind of messed up. :)

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 11-02-2019 08:07 PM

On 2/11/2019 2:07 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> All this talk of electric kettles and stove tops....wouldn't a microwave use less energy and be
> faster?
>
> N.

Yes, but I never do. If I boil it in the cup and add tea, it does not
have quite the same flavor as pouring the boiling water over the tea
leaves. Suppose I could boil in one cup and pour into another.

Nancy2[_2_] 11-02-2019 08:39 PM

Question about whistling tea kettles

Ed, when I want to boil water in the microwave, I put the water in a 2-cup measure (or larger)
and then pour it into the cup I am drinking out of. ;-))

N.

Ophelia[_16_] 11-02-2019 08:47 PM

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:43:55 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 8:18:30 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > We use an electric tea kettle too,

> > Another fool....spending extra money just to boil a cup or two of
> > water. LOL.

> There's a cultural aspect to this electric kettle thing. My guess is that
> many homes in the UK will have one of those and it's similar to how the
> Japanese will have automatic rice cookers. The ones that I saw in the UK
> was
> just spiffy. It used induction heating and could boil water fast because
> they operate at a higher wattage than American - 3000W!
>
> The Japanese also like to have hot water on hand. They favor insulated
> vacuum pots rather than the ones the Brits use. These pots are probably
> popular because these cultures are likely to drink tea at any time of the
> day. Americans don't use these things because they drink coffee. They
> mostly
> make coffee in the morning or purchase coffee when they need to during the
> day. You think they're stupid because you're not a tea drinker.
>
> ==
>
> We don't drink tea, but D does drink instant coffee. We do have an
> electric
> kettle AND an electric rice cooker:))))

In the US, the hotel rooms will usually have a drip coffee maker. Not so in
the UK. Luckily, we had plenty of hot water and that instant coffee stuff
was really appreciated! We drank a lot of it.

We have an electric kettle in a box in the kitchen. My daughter must have
gotten that one. I have no idea what we can do with it since I only boil
water in the mornings. To boil water, I use a saucepan - odd as that seems.
My inventory is one electric kettle in a box and zero rice cooker. That's
kind of messed up. :)

---

lol each to his/her own as they say:)))

Btw just to boast here a wee bittie ... I have 3 rice cookers <g> At home a
small one and a large one, and one small one at the caravan:))

cshenk 11-02-2019 10:00 PM

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 8:18:30 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > We use an electric tea kettle too,

> > Another fool....spending extra money just to boil a cup or two of
> > water. LOL.

> There's a cultural aspect to this electric kettle thing. My guess is
> that many homes in the UK will have one of those and it's similar to
> how the Japanese will have automatic rice cookers. The ones that I
> saw in the UK was just spiffy. It used induction heating and could
> boil water fast because they operate at a higher wattage than
> American - 3000W!
>
> The Japanese also like to have hot water on hand. They favor
> insulated vacuum pots rather than the ones the Brits use. These pots
> are probably popular because these cultures are likely to drink tea
> at any time of the day. Americans don't use these things because they
> drink coffee. They mostly make coffee in the morning or purchase
> coffee when they need to during the day. You think they're stupid
> because you're not a tea drinker.

Don and I drink tea at home. Regular kettle though on the stove works
for us.

dsi1[_2_] 11-02-2019 11:20 PM

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 10:47:34 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:43:55 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message

> > > Another fool....spending extra money just to boil a cup or two of
> > > water. LOL.

> > There's a cultural aspect to this electric kettle thing. My guess is that
> > many homes in the UK will have one of those and it's similar to how the
> > Japanese will have automatic rice cookers. The ones that I saw in the UK
> > was
> > just spiffy. It used induction heating and could boil water fast because
> > they operate at a higher wattage than American - 3000W!
> >
> > The Japanese also like to have hot water on hand. They favor insulated
> > vacuum pots rather than the ones the Brits use. These pots are probably
> > popular because these cultures are likely to drink tea at any time of the
> > day. Americans don't use these things because they drink coffee. They
> > mostly
> > make coffee in the morning or purchase coffee when they need to during the
> > day. You think they're stupid because you're not a tea drinker.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > We don't drink tea, but D does drink instant coffee. We do have an
> > electric
> > kettle AND an electric rice cooker:))))

> In the US, the hotel rooms will usually have a drip coffee maker. Not so in
> the UK. Luckily, we had plenty of hot water and that instant coffee stuff
> was really appreciated! We drank a lot of it.
>
> We have an electric kettle in a box in the kitchen. My daughter must have
> gotten that one. I have no idea what we can do with it since I only boil
> water in the mornings. To boil water, I use a saucepan - odd as that seems.
> My inventory is one electric kettle in a box and zero rice cooker. That's
> kind of messed up. :)
>
> ---
>
> lol each to his/her own as they say:)))
>
> Btw just to boast here a wee bittie ... I have 3 rice cookers <g> At home a
> small one and a large one, and one small one at the caravan:))

It's odd that I have no automatic rice cooker. Looks like I'm up a creek without a rice paddle. That's the breaks. I used to be into my cheap cooker. It's quite a versatile device. It only has two speeds but it I could do a lot with it. Now, I must journey through life without my beloved rice cooker but someday, perhaps, we shall meet again.

https://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-jo...-how-to-use-it

dsi1[_2_] 11-02-2019 11:25 PM

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 12:00:33 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> > > Another fool....spending extra money just to boil a cup or two of
> > > water. LOL.

> > There's a cultural aspect to this electric kettle thing. My guess is
> > that many homes in the UK will have one of those and it's similar to
> > how the Japanese will have automatic rice cookers. The ones that I
> > saw in the UK was just spiffy. It used induction heating and could
> > boil water fast because they operate at a higher wattage than
> > American - 3000W!
> >
> > The Japanese also like to have hot water on hand. They favor
> > insulated vacuum pots rather than the ones the Brits use. These pots
> > are probably popular because these cultures are likely to drink tea
> > at any time of the day. Americans don't use these things because they
> > drink coffee. They mostly make coffee in the morning or purchase
> > coffee when they need to during the day. You think they're stupid
> > because you're not a tea drinker.

> Don and I drink tea at home. Regular kettle though on the stove works
> for us.

I always would see my granny with those vacuum bottles thingies. They're called "air pots." It seemed to be quite a cumbersome thing when I was a little boy. Obviously, it was an artifact of a culture that valued hot water.

[email protected][_2_] 11-02-2019 11:45 PM

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 5:25:48 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> I always would see my granny with those vacuum bottles thingies. They're called "air pots." It seemed to be quite a cumbersome thing when I was a little boy. Obviously, it was an artifact of a culture that valued hot water.

I was on jury duty a few years ago and all of us prospective jurors sat in large
room. They used two Bunn coffee makers that brewed directly into these 'air
pots.' It was great idea to keep the coffee hot without it sitting on a burner
to burn the brew. However, two of these pots were not enough to satisfy the
yearnings of 50-60 people. I craned my neck to see how one of the court clerks
took the pot apart to make the coffee. After that when the pots were quickly
drained dry by the other prospective jurors I made coffee and I was a popular
girl that day for sure. Hahahahaaaaa