Les Stewart

Default Whistling Pie Bird?

Someone recently told me about "pie birds" and I ordered one from EBay.
Nice, but I was told that they whistle when the pie is ready. This one
obviously doesn't.

Do some really whistle? Know where to get one?

Thanks!

--
Les Stewart
Beaumont, TX

Vox Humana

"Les Stewart" > wrote in message
> Someone recently told me about "pie birds" and I ordered one from EBay.
> Nice, but I was told that they whistle when the pie is ready. This one
> obviously doesn't.
>
> Do some really whistle? Know where to get one?
>
> Thanks!

I think someone is pulling your leg.

Pennyaline

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Les Stewart" > wrote in message
> > Someone recently told me about "pie birds" and I ordered one from EBay.
> > Nice, but I was told that they whistle when the pie is ready. This one
> > obviously doesn't.
> >
> > Do some really whistle? Know where to get one?
> >
> > Thanks!

> I think someone is pulling your leg.

No, they're legit.

http://tinyurl.com/2gv6w

They are steam vents.

notbob

On 2004-06-25, Pennyaline > wrote:

> No, they're legit.

> They are steam vents.

Yes, but I doubt they actually whistle. I think that would require way more
moisture and pressure than you'd want in your pie.

nb
--
Be considerate of others and
trim your posts. Thank you.
Vox Humana

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2004-06-25, Pennyaline

> wrote:
>
> > No, they're legit.

> > They are steam vents.

> Yes, but I doubt they actually whistle. I think that would require way

more
> moisture and pressure than you'd want in your pie.

That was my thought. You might be able to blow through them an get them to
whistle. I would think that the pie would burst open before building up
enough steam to cause the pie bird to chirp. However, I could be wrong. I
still don't know why the caged bird sings.

Margaret Suran

Vox Humana wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message
>
>>On 2004-06-25, Pennyaline

> > wrote:
>
>>>No, they're legit.

>>>They are steam vents.

>>Yes, but I doubt they actually whistle. I think that would require way

> more
>
>>moisture and pressure than you'd want in your pie.
>>

> That was my thought. You might be able to blow through them an get them to
> whistle. I would think that the pie would burst open before building up
> enough steam to cause the pie bird to chirp. However, I could be wrong. I
> still don't know why the caged bird sings.

Years ago, I had a few of these birds. They were made of some kind of
ceramics and they really whistled when you inserted them into certain
pies. The pies had to be filled with very moist fruit, such as
cherries, otherwise there was no audible whistle.

Julia Altshuler

I first saw pie birds in the pottery shop in a crafts/arts complex. The
potter made beautiful pie plates with matching pie birds. I was tempted
but decided for the price I prefer my non-pretty utilitarian pyrex pie
plates.

--Lia

jmcquown

Margaret Suran wrote:
> Vox Humana wrote:
>> "notbob" > wrote in message

>>> Yes, but I doubt they actually whistle. I think that would require
>>> way

>> more
>>
>>> moisture and pressure than you'd want in your pie.
>>>

>> That was my thought. You might be able to blow through them an get
>> them to whistle. I would think that the pie would burst open before
>> building up enough steam to cause the pie bird to chirp. However, I
>> could be wrong. I still don't know why the caged bird sings.
>>

> Years ago, I had a few of these birds. They were made of some kind of
> ceramics and they really whistled when you inserted them into certain
> pies. The pies had to be filled with very moist fruit, such as
> cherries, otherwise there was no audible whistle.

"Can she bake a cherry pie, Billy Boy, Billy Boy? Can she bake a cherry pie
charming Billy? If the girl can bake a pie you should go and make a wife
but she's a young thing and cannot leave her mother."

Sorry, that just came to mind I've seen those pie bird steam vents in
the Lehman's catalog. And funny, every time I fly off on an adventure with
John there seem to be Amish or Mennonites on the plane with me.

Jill

Pennyaline

"notbob" wrote:
> I wrote:
> > No, they're legit.

> > They are steam vents.

> Yes, but I doubt they actually whistle. I think that would require way

more
> moisture and pressure than you'd want in your pie.

Oh, I see. I was thinking that he doubted their existence at all.

> --
> Be considerate of others and
> trim your posts. Thank you.

<blush>

Vox Humana

"Lucretia Borgia" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:54:46 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
> >Margaret Suran wrote:

> >> Years ago, I had a few of these birds. They were made of some kind of
> >> ceramics and they really whistled when you inserted them into certain
> >> pies. The pies had to be filled with very moist fruit, such as
> >> cherries, otherwise there was no audible whistle.

> >"Can she bake a cherry pie, Billy Boy, Billy Boy? Can she bake a cherry

pie
> >charming Billy? If the girl can bake a pie you should go and make a wife
> >but she's a young thing and cannot leave her mother."
> >
> >Sorry, that just came to mind I've seen those pie bird steam vents in
> >the Lehman's catalog. And funny, every time I fly off on an adventure

with
> >John there seem to be Amish or Mennonites on the plane with me.
> >
> >Jill
> >

> I have two pie birds. One was very cheap, it's the one I remember
> from my childhood and the other was an expensive Royal Worcester pie
> bird. Both work wonderfully as vents.
>
> They both look like they could sing, but they don't. They are based
> more on the old nursery rhyme Four and Twenty Black Birds Baked in a
> Pie.
>
> Somehow deep dish steak and kidney pie does not taste right unless
> there is a pie bird in the middle.

Funny, I would have guess it had to do with the kidney.

Gregory Morrow

Vox Humana wrote:

> "Les Stewart" > wrote in message
> > Someone recently told me about "pie birds" and I ordered one from EBay.
> > Nice, but I was told that they whistle when the pie is ready. This one
> > obviously doesn't.
> >
> > Do some really whistle? Know where to get one?
> >
> > Thanks!

> I think someone is pulling your leg.

I dunno...a friend of mine has a chicken - shaped egg poacher that clucks
when the egg is done....

--
Best
Greg

Vox Humana

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in
message ink.net...

> Vox Humana wrote:
>
> > "Les Stewart" > wrote in message
> > > Someone recently told me about "pie birds" and I ordered one from

EBay.
> > > Nice, but I was told that they whistle when the pie is ready. This one
> > > obviously doesn't.
> > >
> > > Do some really whistle? Know where to get one?
> > >
> > > Thanks!

> > I think someone is pulling your leg.

> I dunno...a friend of mine has a chicken - shaped egg poacher that clucks
> when the egg is done....

I did a Google search and found a lot of makers of pie birds. None of them
even mentioned that their products could whistle.

Dang bird! gloria.p General Cooking 42 20-03-2010 05:56 PM
My Whistling Video Perk Rhymes Wit Jerk Off Rhymes Wit Cough General Cooking 4 13-04-2008 09:11 PM
Bird Flu maureeng7eh General Cooking 13 24-02-2006 06:24 PM
I got my bird Mick Barbecue 3 25-01-2004 02:14 PM