Old 09-02-2019, 11:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Question about whistling tea kettles

I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use
it because we had one like it when I was a kid.

However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on
my nerves.

Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you
know, people instead of ads.

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2019, 11:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 15:31:43 -0700
in Message-ID: news:[email protected]
Worker wrote :

I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use
it because we had one like it when I was a kid.

However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on
my nerves.

Why have a whistling kettle? Especially if it annoys you. 'twill only
only take a couple of uses to figure out how long it takes to bring a
non-whistler to a full boil. Set your favorite timer if you think
you'll forget to check it.

I, too, use a Reverware whistling kettle most of the time. Am working
my way up to buying a gooseneck kettle, but haven't found one locally.
Would prefer to buy local, but may have to resort to mail order.

--
Posting from groups.google.com or www.foodbanter.com or other web-forums
dramatically reduces the chance of your post being read.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/9/2019 5:31 PM, Worker wrote:
I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use
it because we had one like it when I was a kid.

I inherited the Revereware kettle Mom had when I was a kid.

However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on
my nerves.

What would you like to hear, little birdies chirping? (j/k) You're not
supposed to sit and listen to it wail. It only takes a few seconds
off the heat to simmer down. (get it? simmer down?)

Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you know,
people instead of ads.

Thanks!

Sorry, no recommendations. On the rare occasions I use it I'm nearly
always in the kitchen so when it starts to whistle I just move it off
the heat. That shuts it up.

Jill
Old 10-02-2019, 12:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Worker wrote:
I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use
it because we had one like it when I was a kid.

However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on
my nerves.

Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you know,
people instead of ads.

Thanks!

You can simply drill a 1/4 inch hole it the top of the kettle, and it
will make little or no noise.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 5:21:08 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:

Sorry, no recommendations. On the rare occasions I use it I'm nearly
always in the kitchen so when it starts to whistle I just move it off
the heat. That shuts it up.

Jill

Why is the simplest task so hard for some to grasp such as this one for the
poster named 'Worker'?

Old 10-02-2019, 12:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 15:41:45 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 5:21:08 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:

Sorry, no recommendations. On the rare occasions I use it I'm nearly
always in the kitchen so when it starts to whistle I just move it off
the heat. That shuts it up.

Jill

Why is the simplest task so hard for some to grasp such as this one for the
poster named 'Worker'?

Maybe they first want to sing along with their kettle for a couple of
minutes, before they turn it off?
Old 10-02-2019, 01:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Check out K cups?
Old 10-02-2019, 02:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-09 6:41 p.m., wrote:

Why is the simplest task so hard for some to grasp such as this one for the
poster named 'Worker'?

Why is it so hard for people to spot the troll?

It could be a troll or it could be a clueless newbie in the kitchen.

Old 10-02-2019, 02:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 Thomas canopeily wrote:

Check out K cups?

K cups gotta be some humongus bazooms.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 15:31:43 -0700, Worker wrote:

I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use
it because we had one like it when I was a kid.

However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on
my nerves.

Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you
know, people instead of ads.

Thanks!

I have a microwave that heats water than dings or beeps (user set!).

-sw
Old 10-02-2019, 06:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Worker" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use it
because we had one like it when I was a kid.

However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on my
nerves.

Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you know,
people instead of ads.

Thanks!

I've had a variety of them over the years. All sound pretty much the same. I
bought an electric kettle. It's faster and it shuts off.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 5:31:47 PM UTC-5, Worker wrote:
I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use
it because we had one like it when I was a kid.

However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on
my nerves.

Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you
know, people instead of ads.

Thanks!

I had a Chantal that sounded much better than average. It cost
much more than average, too:

https://www.amazon.com/Chantal-Stainless-Steel-Classic-Teakettle/dp/B00004RD9Q

Cindy Hamilton
Old 10-02-2019, 01:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I have a vintage Revereware kettle inherited from a relative and I use
it because we had one like it when I was a kid.

However, it sounds like a banshee when it whistles and it's getting on
my nerves.

Can anyone recommend one that actually sounds pleasant (or at least not
awful)? Obviously, it's hard to tell what a kettle sounds like from a
listing on the Internet or in a box on a shelf in a store. So, you
know, people instead of ads.

Why not just modify the whistle in the kettle you already have?

Question about electric kettles.. Rainy Tea 5 07-10-2008 05:16 AM
My Whistling Video Perk Rhymes Wit Jerk Off Rhymes Wit Cough General Cooking 4 13-04-2008 09:11 PM
Kettles Bluesea Tea 6 11-02-2005 06:04 AM
Whistling Pie Bird? Les Stewart General Cooking 11 26-06-2004 11:28 PM
Electric Kettles Mike Petro Tea 25 20-01-2004 05:44 AM