Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Question about whistling tea kettles

On 2/11/2019 3:47 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1"Â* wrote in message
>
> On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:43:55 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1"Â* wrote in message

>> > Another fool....spending extra money just to boil a cup or two of
>> > water. LOL.

>> There's a cultural aspect to this electric kettle thing. My guess is that
>> many homes in the UK will have one of those and it's similar to how the
>> Japanese will have automatic rice cookers. The ones that I saw in the
>> UK was
>> just spiffy. It used induction heating and could boil water fast because
>> they operate at a higher wattage than American - 3000W!
>>
>> The Japanese also like to have hot water on hand. They favor insulated
>> vacuum pots rather than the ones the Brits use. These pots are probably
>> popular because these cultures are likely to drink tea at any time of the
>> day. Americans don't use these things because they drink coffee. They
>> mostly
>> make coffee in the morning or purchase coffee when they need to during
>> the
>> day. You think they're stupid because you're not a tea drinker.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> We don't drink tea, but D does drink instant coffee.Â* We do have an
>> electric
>> kettle AND an electric rice cooker)))

> In the US, the hotel rooms will usually have a drip coffee maker. Not so
> in the UK. Luckily, we had plenty of hot water and that instant coffee
> stuff was really appreciated! We drank a lot of it.

I wish people would realize if you're in a hotel room and you have an
electric drip coffee maker (filters provided) you don't actually have to
use it to make coffee. Put a filter in the basket and pour water into
reservoir and turn it on. Voila! Hot water will dispense into the
carage. You can add it to tea bags, tea leaves or even instant coffee
stuff that you've spooned into a cup.

> We have an electric kettle in a box in the kitchen. My daughter must
> have gotten that one. I have no idea what we can do with it since I only
> boil water in the mornings. To boil water, I use a saucepan - odd as
> that seems. My inventory is one electric kettle in a box and zero rice
> cooker. That's kind of messed up.

Apparently you're not a stereotypical Asian guy living in Hawaii.

Jill