Mike Petro

Default Electric Kettles

Hi All,

I just wore out my Bodum Ibis eletric Kettle. This one lasted me about
a year but was heavily used! Very heavily used! Anyone have a
recomendation for another 110v electric kettle ?

With heavy use in mind should I go for another inexpensive one or are
more expensive models truly more industrial quality?

Whats the deal with Russel Hobbs these days, are they still doing
business?

Thanks

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Tee King

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:41:32 GMT, Mike Petro
> tripped the light fantastic, then quipped:

>Hi All,
>
>I just wore out my Bodum Ibis eletric Kettle. This one lasted me about
>a year but was heavily used! Very heavily used! Anyone have a
>recomendation for another 110v electric kettle ?
>
> With heavy use in mind should I go for another inexpensive one or are
>more expensive models truly more industrial quality?
>Mike Petro

I have a relatively inexpensive ($28.00) Toastmaster kettle (1.8 liter
capacity) that I've used every day, two to five times a day, for quite
some time now, and have never had a bit of trouble with it. It
actually boils faster than some of its more expensive rivals, shuts
off at the boil, and is cordless. I have a 1.5 liter Oster model
(also cordless with auto shut-off) backup that I bought at a
consignment store, but I've never had to use it because my Toastmaster
has been problem free for two years or so. Hope this helps.

Tee
http://www.geocities.com/tee_king
Remove -no-spam- to email me.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved package, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, and shouting, *GERONIMO!*"
Derek

While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Mike Petro rolled
initiative and posted the following:

> Hi All,
>
> I just wore out my Bodum Ibis eletric Kettle. This one lasted me
> about a year but was heavily used! Very heavily used! Anyone
> have a recomendation for another 110v electric kettle ?
>
> With heavy use in mind should I go for another inexpensive one
> or are
> more expensive models truly more industrial quality?

I am using the same electric kettle I've been using for the last 8
years. It's a Chinese no-name import. I picked it up at my local tea
shop.

Stainles steel kettle with the heating element in the base. Always on
or "keep hot" settings. I think it falls into the category of
industrial design. Danged thing just won't die.

I can check the next time I'm in the shop to see if he has them in
stock. It was about $100. I know he does mail order.

You can view a picture of it at http://www.gwinn.us/kettle.jpg

--
Derek

Ever wonder why people are so determined to reach for white picket
fences, supposed normalcy, a nuclear family? Well, try growing up
without one. (Chuck Eddy)
Mike Petro

>I can check the next time I'm in the shop to see if he has them in
>stock. It was about $100. I know he does mail order.
>
>You can view a picture of it at http://www.gwinn.us/kettle.jpg

Very interesting, does it actually boil the water?

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Tom

Default Nice site! (Was Electric Kettles)

>Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net

Mike:

The site is coming along well.
I can't wait until you have more done.

--Tom
-oo-
""\o~
------------------------------------
"Homo sum, humani nil a me alienum puto."
Terrance

Michael Plant

Mike 1/14/04

>> I can check the next time I'm in the shop to see if he has them in
>> stock. It was about $100. I know he does mail order.
>>
>> You can view a picture of it at
http://www.gwinn.us/kettle.jpg

> Very interesting, does it actually boil the water?
>

> Mike Petro
> http://www.pu-erh.net
> remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

Very interesting kettle. Odd spout. Does it pour OK? Now, let's talk about
those little blue packets beside the kettle....hmmmmm.

Michael

Mike Petro

>The site is coming along well.
>I can't wait until you have more done.

Thanks Tom,

Look for major progress after each weekend. I work on it when I can,
unfortunately I also have to work at a real job so that I can afford
to buy, amongst other things, electric tea kettles......

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Derek

While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Michael Plant
rolled initiative and posted the following:

> Mike 1/14/04
>

>>> I can check the next time I'm in the shop to see if he has
>>> them in stock. It was about $100. I know he does mail order.
>>>
>>> You can view a picture of it at
http://www.gwinn.us/kettle.jpg

>> Very interesting, does it actually boil the water?

>> Very interesting kettle. Odd spout. Does it pour OK? Now, let's

> talk about those little blue packets beside the
> kettle....hmmmmm.

A. The kettle does BOIL the water. I mean big bubbles and all. On
the "Keep hot" setting. Once it reaches boiling, it stops heating
until the temperature drops. If you don't have enough water in
their to push the kettle onto the contacts, it won't heat. SO you
don't have to worry about it boiling dry and causing a fire.

B. The spout pours OK. The only "issue" I've had is that if it is
too full, when you tip it to pour, it'll pour out of the top of the
kettle. Just have to remember to pour slowly. Then again, that's
not an issue unique to this kettle. I've experienced it with other
kettles as well.

C. The "little blue packets" are nasty things that my dieting
parents consume in their morning black sludge. They were visiting
recently, hence the fact that the packets had been released from
their seclusion on the top shelf of the kitchen cabinet.

--
Derek

Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off
now.
Derek

While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Derek rolled
initiative and posted the following:

> While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Michael Plant
> rolled initiative and posted the following:
>
>> Mike 1/14/04

http://www.gwinn.us/kettle.jpg

>>> Very interesting, does it actually boil the water?

>>> Very interesting kettle. Odd spout. Does it pour OK? Now,
>>> let's

>> talk about those little blue packets beside the
>> kettle....hmmmmm.

> A. The kettle does BOIL the water. I mean big bubbles and all.
> On the "Keep hot" setting. Once it reaches boiling, it stops
> heating until the temperature drops. If you don't have enough
> water in their to push the kettle onto the contacts, it won't
> heat. SO you don't have to worry about it boiling dry and
> causing a fire.
>
> B. The spout pours OK. The only "issue" I've had is that if it
> is too full, when you tip it to pour, it'll pour out of the top
> of the kettle. Just have to remember to pour slowly. Then
> again, that's not an issue unique to this kettle. I've
> experienced it with other kettles as well.
>
> C. The "little blue packets" are nasty things that my dieting
> parents consume in their morning black sludge. They were
> visiting recently, hence the fact that the packets had been
> released from their seclusion on the top shelf of the kitchen
> cabinet.

Dang, that post is badly written and well stocked in grammatical
errors. That's what I get for writing BEFORE my first cup o' tea.

Sorry 'bout that.

--
Derek

When birds fly in the right formation, they need only exert half
the effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective
laziness.
Space Cowboy

I wouldn't use such a silly thing. However this inquiry pops up so often
and everybody rattles off how much their costs. Why wouldn't an electric
coffee pot fit the bill? They're at WalMart under $10. It wasn't always so
and my bosses would let me take time off to replace heating elements and
termostats for the coffee addicts. I'm not sure if this one is worth fixing
but you'd be surprised how easy it is.

Jim

"Mike Petro" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I just wore out my Bodum Ibis eletric Kettle. This one lasted me about
> a year but was heavily used! Very heavily used! Anyone have a
> recomendation for another 110v electric kettle ?
>
> With heavy use in mind should I go for another inexpensive one or are
> more expensive models truly more industrial quality?
>
> Whats the deal with Russel Hobbs these days, are they still doing
> business?
>
> Thanks
>

> Mike Petro
> http://www.pu-erh.net
> remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

Michael Plant

Space ink.net1/14/04

> I wouldn't use such a silly thing. However this inquiry pops up so often
> and everybody rattles off how much their costs. Why wouldn't an electric
> coffee pot fit the bill? They're at WalMart under $10. It wasn't always so
> and my bosses would let me take time off to replace heating elements and
> termostats for the coffee addicts. I'm not sure if this one is worth fixing
> but you'd be surprised how easy it is.
>
> Jim

I'm not that keen on a teapot that keeps water hot for an extended time, but
if you want that, Jim's got a good point. I use a $10. electric water heater
tea kettle-like plug in thing and it shows no sign of dying after all these
many months. Of course, it has no on off switch either -- whadaya want for
ten bucks? -- and yes, I've forgotten it, and no, it never burned out,
although by rights it should've.

Michael

Derek

While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Space Cowboy rolled
initiative and posted the following:

> I wouldn't use such a silly thing. However this inquiry pops up
> so often and everybody rattles off how much their costs. Why
> wouldn't an electric coffee pot fit the bill? They're at
> WalMart under $10. It wasn't always so and my bosses would let
> me take time off to replace heating elements and termostats for
> the coffee addicts. I'm not sure if this one is worth fixing
> but you'd be surprised how easy it is.

Because the $10 coffee maker from Wal-mart only produces small
amounts of hot water at a time, so you never have enough water at
the right temperature for making a cup of tea, let a lone a whole
pot.

In my experience, the warmer keeps the water hot enough to notice
that it's hot, but not hot enough to make a good cup of tea.

--
Derek

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else.
Mike Petro

It looks real similar to this picture I got from Livio from his trip
to the Fancun Market
http://www.pu-erh.net/graphics/fancu...in_canton1.jpg

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Jules Dubois

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:41:32 GMT, in article
>, Mike Petro wrote:

> Whats the deal with Russel Hobbs these days, are they still doing
> business?

I tried to buy a Russell Hobbs electric tea kettle from a specialty store
last spring. They told me they had stopped carrying them because they
found it "impossible" to get parts or service.

This week, I saw some Russell Hobbs appliances -- but not kettles -- at a
store named Table Talk in Tucson. I take that to mean they're still in
business.
Michael Ryan

Mike Petro > wrote in message >. ..
> It looks real similar to this picture I got from Livio from his trip
> to the Fancun Market
> http://www.pu-erh.net/graphics/fancu...in_canton1.jpg
>

> Mike Petro
> http://www.pu-erh.net
> remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

http://www.kamjove.com/english/jinzao/index.htm

Here is a link you might like. I do not sell these because I do not
want to deal with the shipping and the warranty stuff however, I can
get them if you really want one but in no way is this something that I
warranty or will return for you will have to deal with them if
something breaks. I just happen to be here in China and can get the
best electric tea kettles around made for Gung Fu Cha..... yes they
do come in 110v.. UL certified
mandjs

Mike Petro

Michael, Please check your junk mail folder......
Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:36:05 GMT, "Space Cowboy"
> wrote:

>Why wouldn't an electric coffee pot fit the bill?

Coffee pots aren't kettles. They don't boil water, they just annoy it
a bit. This is the major reason why you can't get a decent brew in
the USA - no boiling water !

>They're at WalMart under $10.

Well it's cheap.

Must be good.

Derek

While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Mike Petro rolled
initiative and posted the following:

> It looks real similar to this picture I got from Livio from his
> trip to the Fancun Market
> http://www.pu-erh.net/graphics/fancu...in_canton1.jpg

Yep. That looks like it's pretty much the one.

I checked with Tony at La Societe du The here in Minneapolis. He
said he's got them in stock $110.00 plu $8.00 shippping.

1.612.871.5148 (Local) or 1.888.871.5148 (Toll-Free)

--
Derek

Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off
now.
Space Cowboy

Nothing better than percolated tea at some optimum temperature less than
boiling. You don't need a gongfu pot and all the multiple infusions you
could drink from your most expensive tea savoring the after tones of the
last delicately leached tannins. Anyway I saw at Walmart a 'hot shot rapid
boil' electric water kettle for $15. The teenager working unpaid overtime
while mopping the floor because the janitors were in court thought the
stainless steel kettle for $30 was ideal for tea but probably needed an
inline power source 1500w variable resistor from the electronics department
for white tea which requires gradations of 1/4 degree.

Jim

"Andy Dingley" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:36:05 GMT, "Space Cowboy"
> > wrote:
>
> >Why wouldn't an electric coffee pot fit the bill?

> Coffee pots aren't kettles. They don't boil water, they just annoy it
> a bit. This is the major reason why you can't get a decent brew in
> the USA - no boiling water !
>

> >They're at WalMart under $10.

> Well it's cheap.
>
> Must be good.

Michael Plant

Space thlink.net1/15/04

> Nothing better than percolated tea at some optimum temperature less than
> boiling. You don't need a gongfu pot and all the multiple infusions you
> could drink from your most expensive tea savoring the after tones of the
> last delicately leached tannins. Anyway I saw at Walmart a 'hot shot rapid
> boil' electric water kettle for $15. The teenager working unpaid overtime
> while mopping the floor because the janitors were in court thought the
> stainless steel kettle for $30 was ideal for tea but probably needed an
> inline power source 1500w variable resistor from the electronics department
> for white tea which requires gradations of 1/4 degree.
>
> Jim

Would the person who caught Jim's point here please share it with me.

thanks.

Mike Petro

Thanks Derek

>I checked with Tony at La Societe du The here in Minneapolis. He
>said he's got them in stock $110.00 plu $8.00 shippping.
>
>1.612.871.5148 (Local) or 1.888.871.5148 (Toll-Free)

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Derek

While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Mike Petro rolled
initiative and posted the following:

> Thanks Derek

I don't know if you're interested in that model or not, but you're
welcome. I've been very happy with mine.

--
Derek

If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, it's
because they take better care of it.
Mike Petro

I want to thank everybody for their input. I have ordered a Kamjove
V-80 and they converted it to 110v. I will post a review after I
receive it. You can see it at
http://www.kamjove.com/english/jinzao/gudian.htm

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Derek

While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Mike Petro rolled
initiative and posted the following:

> I want to thank everybody for their input. I have ordered a Kamjove
> V-80 and they converted it to 110v. I will post a review after I
> receive it. You can see it at
> http://www.kamjove.com/english/jinzao/gudian.htm

Oooh. That's a pretty one.

[looks at the kettle on the counter and thinks "die die die!" ]

--
Derek

Heffalumps to the left of me, woozles to the right.
Here I am, stuck in the middle with Pooh.
Lewis Perin

Mike Petro > writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I just wore out my Bodum Ibis eletric Kettle. This one lasted me about
> a year but was heavily used! Very heavily used! Anyone have a
> recomendation for another 110v electric kettle ?

....pause for mental arithmetic...

I've used my Cuisinart at least 5000 times without incident.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

van der Veer

How come no one has mentioned the ultimate electric kettle for tea
drinkers?...the Capresso glass electric kettle. You can tell by sight
how hot the water is.