Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boxed Meal Kits?

I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just remodeled.
For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those stores that
sells most everything. They recently began selling some items online. This
particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a greater variety
of of food but they had to cut back on other things.

The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are odd,
free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to find stuff.
Even the produce section has a weird layout.

But the weirdest thing was the sign overhead telling us that the boxed meal
kits were there. Say what? I had to peek because it clearly wasn't stuff
like Blue Apron as it wasn't a refrigerated aisle. What they meant was boxed
mac and cheese, Hamburger Helper and things of that ilk.

My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but would
be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks stuff
like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
just can't see the need for such things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 11:44:43 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just remodeled.
> For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those stores that
> sells most everything. They recently began selling some items online. This
> particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a greater variety
> of of food but they had to cut back on other things.
>
> The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
> zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are odd,
> free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to find stuff.
> Even the produce section has a weird layout.
>
> But the weirdest thing was the sign overhead telling us that the boxed meal
> kits were there. Say what? I had to peek because it clearly wasn't stuff
> like Blue Apron as it wasn't a refrigerated aisle. What they meant was boxed
> mac and cheese, Hamburger Helper and things of that ilk.
>
> My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but would
> be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks stuff
> like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
> something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
> just can't see the need for such things.

The Food Production Machines are cranking out grabbable/eatable food for the Worker Bees of Our Future! :-(

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
news
>I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just
>remodeled. For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those
>stores that sells most everything. They recently began selling some items
>online. This particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a
>greater variety of of food but they had to cut back on other things.
>
> The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
> zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are odd,
> free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to find
> stuff. Even the produce section has a weird layout.
>
> But the weirdest thing was the sign overhead telling us that the boxed
> meal kits were there. Say what? I had to peek because it clearly wasn't
> stuff like Blue Apron as it wasn't a refrigerated aisle. What they meant
> was boxed mac and cheese, Hamburger Helper and things of that ilk.
>
> My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but would
> be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks stuff
> like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
> something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
> just can't see the need for such things.

Obviously some people do because they seem to be popular. I dont' care for
them much myself. What I found odd today was buying Gold Medal Flour which I
don't usually have on hand but will need for holiday baking, when I opened
it to transfer to a container, it said on the top of the bag to resist
eating it until it's cooked, duh, does anyone really need that instruction?
Is anyone hitting a bag of flour with a big spoon to eat mouthfuls of it?
LOL

Cheri

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
news
>I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just
>remodeled. For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those
>stores that sells most everything. They recently began selling some items
>online. This particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a
>greater variety of of food but they had to cut back on other things.
>
> The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
> zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are odd,
> free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to find
> stuff. Even the produce section has a weird layout.
>
> But the weirdest thing was the sign overhead telling us that the boxed
> meal kits were there. Say what? I had to peek because it clearly wasn't
> stuff like Blue Apron as it wasn't a refrigerated aisle. What they meant
> was boxed mac and cheese, Hamburger Helper and things of that ilk.
>
> My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but would
> be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks stuff
> like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
> something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
> just can't see the need for such things.

Obviously some people do because they seem to be popular. I dont' care for
them much myself. What I found odd today was buying Gold Medal Flour which I
don't usually have on hand but will need for holiday baking, when I opened
it to transfer to a container, it said on the top of the bag to resist
eating it until it's cooked, duh, does anyone really need that instruction?
Is anyone hitting a bag of flour with a big spoon to eat mouthfuls of it?
LOL

Cheri
==

Ummm I will give that a pass thanks lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 22:06:14 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>news
>>I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just
>>remodeled. For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those
>>stores that sells most everything. They recently began selling some items
>>online. This particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a
>>greater variety of of food but they had to cut back on other things.
>>
>> The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
>> zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are odd,
>> free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to find
>> stuff. Even the produce section has a weird layout.
>>
>> But the weirdest thing was the sign overhead telling us that the boxed
>> meal kits were there. Say what? I had to peek because it clearly wasn't
>> stuff like Blue Apron as it wasn't a refrigerated aisle. What they meant
>> was boxed mac and cheese, Hamburger Helper and things of that ilk.
>>
>> My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but would
>> be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks stuff
>> like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
>> something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
>> just can't see the need for such things.

>Obviously some people do because they seem to be popular. I dont' care for
>them much myself. What I found odd today was buying Gold Medal Flour which I
>don't usually have on hand but will need for holiday baking, when I opened
>it to transfer to a container, it said on the top of the bag to resist
>eating it until it's cooked, duh, does anyone really need that instruction?
>Is anyone hitting a bag of flour with a big spoon to eat mouthfuls of it?
>LOL

Could be a cokehead?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 7:44:43 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just remodeled.
> For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those stores that
> sells most everything. They recently began selling some items online. This
> particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a greater variety
> of of food but they had to cut back on other things.
>
> The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
> zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are odd,
> free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to find stuff.
> Even the produce section has a weird layout.
>
> But the weirdest thing was the sign overhead telling us that the boxed meal
> kits were there. Say what? I had to peek because it clearly wasn't stuff
> like Blue Apron as it wasn't a refrigerated aisle. What they meant was boxed
> mac and cheese, Hamburger Helper and things of that ilk.
>
> My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but would
> be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks stuff
> like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
> something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
> just can't see the need for such things.

I was at Sam's Club today and saw meal kits. I think they're great. They allow people to cook things they wouldn't normally think of preparing. This is a very good thing. My first pizzas were made from kits. I learned a lot from those box meals. My guess is that it's as great an experience for today's kids and young folks as boxed pizza was for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Obviously some people do because they seem to be popular. I dont' care for
>them much myself. What I found odd today was buying Gold Medal Flour which I
>don't usually have on hand but will need for holiday baking, when I opened
>it to transfer to a container, it said on the top of the bag to resist
>eating it until it's cooked, duh, does anyone really need that instruction?
>Is anyone hitting a bag of flour with a big spoon to eat mouthfuls of it?
>LOL
>
>Cheri
>
>Cheri

There is a salmonella risk with raw flour, which, of course, can wind
up in cookie dough or cake batter, and folks are known to take a bite
of the dough or lick the beaters from a cake.

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2018/...es-cake-mixes/

https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Con.../ucm508450.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but would
> be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks stuff
> like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
> something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
> just can't see the need for such things.

a long time ago i used them for a meal once in a while
but then i learned how to cook different cuisines and
haven't done any since.

comparing a boxed version of hamburger helper lasagna
and a real lasagna i don't see how anyone would prefer
the boxed version over the other, but i guess it could
happen...

however, thinking of seasoning packets, is that much
different than using a curry paste from a jar instead?
perhaps, but not much, vs. making your own from fresh
ground/roasted spices.

i'm making a Thai dish next week, i won't worry too
much about using a pre-made curry paste. i like it.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:
> Obviously some people do because they seem to be popular. I dont' care for
> them much myself. What I found odd today was buying Gold Medal Flour which I
> don't usually have on hand but will need for holiday baking, when I opened
> it to transfer to a container, it said on the top of the bag to resist
> eating it until it's cooked, duh, does anyone really need that instruction?
> Is anyone hitting a bag of flour with a big spoon to eat mouthfuls of it?
> LOL

i've eaten raw cookie dough my whole life
(including this morning ). it hasn't
gotten me sick unless i eat a lot of it
(which i don't any more - trying to cut down)
at one time.

every mass produced food has odd bits of this
and that in it. the mouse loaf of bread (yes i
do mean actual mouse parts in the bread), canned
this or that, yes, i've seen them, veggies with
bits of rock or even metal or glass, yep. sand
grit, plastic parts of machines, ...

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 22:06:14 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>>Obviously some people do because they seem to be popular. I dont' care for
>>them much myself. What I found odd today was buying Gold Medal Flour which
>>don't usually have on hand but will need for holiday baking, when I opened
>>it to transfer to a container, it said on the top of the bag to resist
>>eating it until it's cooked, duh, does anyone really need that
>>instruction?
>>Is anyone hitting a bag of flour with a big spoon to eat mouthfuls of it?
>>LOL
>>
>>Cheri
>>
>>Cheri

> There is a salmonella risk with raw flour, which, of course, can wind
> up in cookie dough or cake batter, and folks are known to take a bite
> of the dough or lick the beaters from a cake.
>
> https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2018/...es-cake-mixes/
>
> https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Con.../ucm508450.htm

I know that, I was talking about the way it was worded on the top of the
bag.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/8/2018 5:59 AM, dsi1 wrote:

> I was at Sam's Club today and saw meal kits. I think they're great. They allow people to cook things they wouldn't normally think of preparing. This is a very good thing. My first pizzas were made from kits. I learned a lot from those box meals. My guess is that it's as great an experience for today's kids and young folks as boxed pizza was for me.

Agree. Not something to use daily, but once in a while it is a break
from the routine and an easy way to try something new. We've tried a
few of them and the results were good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-08 1:06 AM, Cheri wrote:

> Obviously some people do because they seem to be popular. I dont' care
> for them much myself. What I found odd today was buying Gold Medal Flour
> which I don't usually have on hand but will need for holiday baking,
> when I opened it to transfer to a container, it said on the top of the
> bag to resist eating it until it's cooked, duh, does anyone really need
> that instruction? Is anyone hitting a bag of flour with a big spoon to
> eat mouthfuls of it? LOL

Raw flour....straight? I confess that I have eaten raw cookie dough. I
must not be the only one because it has become an ice cream flavour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 21:44:35 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just remodeled.
>For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those stores that
>sells most everything. They recently began selling some items online. This
>particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a greater variety
>of of food but they had to cut back on other things.
>
>The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
>zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are odd,
>free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to find stuff.
>Even the produce section has a weird layout.
>
>But the weirdest thing was the sign overhead telling us that the boxed meal
>kits were there. Say what? I had to peek because it clearly wasn't stuff
>like Blue Apron as it wasn't a refrigerated aisle. What they meant was boxed
>mac and cheese, Hamburger Helper and things of that ilk.
>
>My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but would
>be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks stuff
>like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
>something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
>just can't see the need for such things.

That isn't what there main site says. This is what they are promoting
https://www.fredmeyer.com/search?query=%20meal%20kits
No Hamburger Helper or Kraft Mac and Cheese
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 21:44:35 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just remodeled.
>For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those stores that
>sells most everything. They recently began selling some items online. This
>particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a greater variety
>of of food but they had to cut back on other things.
>
>The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
>zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are odd,
>free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to find stuff.
>Even the produce section has a weird layout.
>
>But the weirdest thing was the sign overhead telling us that the boxed meal
>kits were there. Say what? I had to peek because it clearly wasn't stuff
>like Blue Apron as it wasn't a refrigerated aisle. What they meant was boxed
>mac and cheese, Hamburger Helper and things of that ilk.
>
>My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but would
>be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks stuff
>like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
>something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
>just can't see the need for such things.

Well, Julie. You successfully got everyone riled up with righteous
indignation.
True, there are meal kits.
However, they are not Hamburger Helper and the ilk.
But it made a good story.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> every mass produced food has odd bits of this
> and that in it. the mouse loaf of bread (yes i
> do mean actual mouse parts in the bread), canned
> this or that, yes, i've seen them, veggies with
> bits of rock or even metal or glass, yep. sand
> grit, plastic parts of machines, ...

mouse parts
sand grit
plastic parts

I like those parts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 06:56:28 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 22:06:14 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Obviously some people do because they seem to be popular. I dont' care for
>>>them much myself. What I found odd today was buying Gold Medal Flour which
>>>don't usually have on hand but will need for holiday baking, when I opened
>>>it to transfer to a container, it said on the top of the bag to resist
>>>eating it until it's cooked, duh, does anyone really need that
>>>instruction?
>>>Is anyone hitting a bag of flour with a big spoon to eat mouthfuls of it?
>>>LOL
>>>
>>>Cheri
>>>
>>>Cheri

>> There is a salmonella risk with raw flour, which, of course, can wind
>> up in cookie dough or cake batter, and folks are known to take a bite
>> of the dough or lick the beaters from a cake.
>>
>> https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2018/...es-cake-mixes/
>>
>> https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Con.../ucm508450.htm

>I know that, I was talking about the way it was worded on the top of the
>bag.
>
>Cheri

Why would that wording be any more unusual than wording on other raw
foods that one would not likely eat before it cooking? Or the warnings
on handling of other uncooked foods?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-08 8:42 AM, songbird wrote:

> every mass produced food has odd bits of this
> and that in it. the mouse loaf of bread (yes i
> do mean actual mouse parts in the bread), canned
> this or that, yes, i've seen them, veggies with
> bits of rock or even metal or glass, yep. sand
> grit, plastic parts of machines, ...

Strange things happen. I had a friend who tended to stretch tales. One
day he told me that his mother had found a finger in a can of tomatoes
that had been canned locally. My brother worked in a grocery store
about three blocks from their house and told me about her returning the
can with the finger in it. Not long after that I met a girl at school
who had worked in that cannery that summer and one of the girls on her
line lost a finger. When Glen told me about the finger I didn't really
believe him, but two people reinforced it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 9:44:43 PM UTC-8, Julie Bove wrote:
> I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just remodeled.
> For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those stores that
> sells most everything. They recently began selling some items online. This
> particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a greater variety
> of of food but they had to cut back on other things.
>
> The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
> zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are odd,
> free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to find stuff.
> Even the produce section has a weird layout.
>
> But the weirdest thing was the sign overhead telling us that the boxed meal
> kits were there. Say what? I had to peek because it clearly wasn't stuff
> like Blue Apron as it wasn't a refrigerated aisle. What they meant was boxed
> mac and cheese, Hamburger Helper and things of that ilk.
>
> My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but would
> be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks stuff
> like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
> something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
> just can't see the need for such things.

The new Kroger meal kits are in the fresh foods section. They are evidently becoming popular.

https://www.kroger.com/b/preppared
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 10:44:43 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just remodeled.
> For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those stores that
> sells most everything. They recently began selling some items online. This
> particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a greater variety
> of of food but they had to cut back on other things.
>
> The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
> zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are odd,
> free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to find stuff.
> Even the produce section has a weird layout.
>
> But the weirdest thing was the sign overhead telling us that the boxed meal
> kits were there. Say what? I had to peek because it clearly wasn't stuff
> like Blue Apron as it wasn't a refrigerated aisle. What they meant was boxed
> mac and cheese, Hamburger Helper and things of that ilk.
>
> My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but would
> be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks stuff
> like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
> something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
> just can't see the need for such things.

So don't buy them and let those who can't or won't cook use them. Who are you
to judge whether they are NEEDED or not?

After all, you buy already shredded salad stuff like lettuce and celery.
I don't see the need for those items unless you are too lazy to cut them up
yourself.
====

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
news
> On 2018-11-08 1:06 AM, Cheri wrote:
>
>> Obviously some people do because they seem to be popular. I dont' care
>> for them much myself. What I found odd today was buying Gold Medal Flour
>> which I don't usually have on hand but will need for holiday baking, when
>> I opened it to transfer to a container, it said on the top of the bag to
>> resist eating it until it's cooked, duh, does anyone really need that
>> instruction? Is anyone hitting a bag of flour with a big spoon to eat
>> mouthfuls of it? LOL

> Raw flour....straight? I confess that I have eaten raw cookie dough. I
> must not be the only one because it has become an ice cream flavour.

Yes, it's the way it's worded on the top of the package that I found odd.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 06:56:28 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> There is a salmonella risk with raw flour, which, of course, can wind
>>> up in cookie dough or cake batter, and folks are known to take a bite
>>> of the dough or lick the beaters from a cake.
>>>
>>> https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2018/...es-cake-mixes/
>>>
>>> https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Con.../ucm508450.htm

>>I know that, I was talking about the way it was worded on the top of the
>>bag.
>>
>>Cheri

> Why would that wording be any more unusual than wording on other raw
> foods that one would not likely eat before it cooking? Or the warnings
> on handling of other uncooked foods?

With other foods, the product itself is in the package. In the case of
flour, the only thing in the bag is flour, not raw cookie dough etc. The
point is, *I* found it odd, YMMV

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-08 12:41 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> news
>> On 2018-11-08 1:06 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>>> Obviously some people do because they seem to be popular. I dont'
>>> care for them much myself. What I found odd today was buying Gold
>>> Medal Flour which I don't usually have on hand but will need for
>>> holiday baking, when I opened it to transfer to a container, it said
>>> on the top of the bag to resist eating it until it's cooked, duh,
>>> does anyone really need that instruction? Is anyone hitting a bag of
>>> flour with a big spoon to eat mouthfuls of it? LOL

>> Raw flour....straight?Â*Â* I confess that I have eaten raw cookie dough.
>> I must not be the only one because it has become an ice cream flavour.

> Yes, it's the way it's worded on the top of the package that I found odd.

Maybe it is directed at mice and bugs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 8, 2018 at 9:51:03 AM UTC-6, Roy wrote:

> So don't buy them and let those who can't or won't cook use them. Who are you
> to judge whether they are NEEDED or not?
>
> After all, you buy already shredded salad stuff like lettuce and celery.
> I don't see the need for those items unless you are too lazy to cut them up
> yourself.
> ====

It's Ju-Ju, what did you expect?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Strange things happen. I had a friend who tended to stretch tales. One
> day he told me that his mother had found a finger in a can of tomatoes
> that had been canned locally. My brother worked in a grocery store
> about three blocks from their house and told me about her returning the
> can with the finger in it. Not long after that I met a girl at school
> who had worked in that cannery that summer and one of the girls on her
> line lost a finger. When Glen told me about the finger I didn't really
> believe him, but two people reinforced it.

stuff does happen, it's not all roses and pillows
out there...

i worked at a place that had a manufacturing aspect
and one of the line workers was missing a thumb.

he said he lost it in a cannery. we never talked
about it past that point so i don't know what kind of
cannery it was...

one of the workers up front in the offices was also
missing a finger, but she lost it due to a ring getting
entangled in a swing while pushing a child.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> news
>>I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just
>>remodeled. For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those
>>stores that sells most everything. They recently began selling some items
>>online. This particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a
>>greater variety of of food but they had to cut back on other things.
>>
>> The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
>> zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are
>> odd, free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to
>> find stuff. Even the produce section has a weird layout.
>>
>> But the weirdest thing was the sign overhead telling us that the boxed
>> meal kits were there. Say what? I had to peek because it clearly wasn't
>> stuff like Blue Apron as it wasn't a refrigerated aisle. What they meant
>> was boxed mac and cheese, Hamburger Helper and things of that ilk.
>>
>> My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but
>> would be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she
>> thinks stuff like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If
>> you want something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from
>> scratch. I just can't see the need for such things.

> Obviously some people do because they seem to be popular. I dont' care for
> them much myself. What I found odd today was buying Gold Medal Flour which
> I don't usually have on hand but will need for holiday baking, when I
> opened it to transfer to a container, it said on the top of the bag to
> resist eating it until it's cooked, duh, does anyone really need that
> instruction? Is anyone hitting a bag of flour with a big spoon to eat
> mouthfuls of it? LOL

I remember my grandma playing a joke on one of my older boy cousins. She was
fixing to bake pies. She always saved her jar lids and used them to make
little pies for us kids. She told my cousin that he had better not get into
the sugar because if he did, he wouldn't get his own pie. Then she took me
outside where she was watering the flowers by her front door. She told me
that he'd be out in no time flat, choking. I asked her why? She just told me
to wait a minute and I'd see.

Sure enough came flying out the door, gagging and coughing. That's when she
told us that the white pile of powder sitting on the waxed paper was flour
and not sugar!

But if you think about... How many people eat cookie dough or cake batter
before baking? Probably a lot. I even know people who eat uncooked pasta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2018-11-08 8:42 AM, songbird wrote:
>
>> every mass produced food has odd bits of this
>> and that in it. the mouse loaf of bread (yes i
>> do mean actual mouse parts in the bread), canned
>> this or that, yes, i've seen them, veggies with
>> bits of rock or even metal or glass, yep. sand
>> grit, plastic parts of machines, ...

> Strange things happen. I had a friend who tended to stretch tales. One
> day he told me that his mother had found a finger in a can of tomatoes
> that had been canned locally. My brother worked in a grocery store about
> three blocks from their house and told me about her returning the can with
> the finger in it. Not long after that I met a girl at school who had
> worked in that cannery that summer and one of the girls on her line lost a
> finger. When Glen told me about the finger I didn't really believe him,
> but two people reinforced it.

Had a neighbor who said she used to work for a frozen food company. I won't
give the name as I can't verify if it's true. She said a dead bird was found
in a batch of something.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 7:44:43 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just
> remodeled.
> For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those stores that
> sells most everything. They recently began selling some items online. This
> particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a greater variety
> of of food but they had to cut back on other things.
>
> The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
> zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are odd,
> free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to find
> stuff.
> Even the produce section has a weird layout.
>
> But the weirdest thing was the sign overhead telling us that the boxed
> meal
> kits were there. Say what? I had to peek because it clearly wasn't stuff
> like Blue Apron as it wasn't a refrigerated aisle. What they meant was
> boxed
> mac and cheese, Hamburger Helper and things of that ilk.
>
> My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but would
> be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks stuff
> like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
> something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
> just can't see the need for such things.

I was at Sam's Club today and saw meal kits. I think they're great. They
allow people to cook things they wouldn't normally think of preparing. This
is a very good thing. My first pizzas were made from kits. I learned a lot
from those box meals. My guess is that it's as great an experience for
today's kids and young folks as boxed pizza was for me.

---

I grew up eating things from cans and boses. No pizza though. Had that once
as an adult. Never again. Didn't like those things then or now. I will buy
mac and cheese when it's super cheap but I always add stuff to it. And I
prefer mac and cheese from scratch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but
>> would
>> be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks
>> stuff
>> like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
>> something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
>> just can't see the need for such things.

> a long time ago i used them for a meal once in a while
> but then i learned how to cook different cuisines and
> haven't done any since.
>
> comparing a boxed version of hamburger helper lasagna
> and a real lasagna i don't see how anyone would prefer
> the boxed version over the other, but i guess it could
> happen...
>
> however, thinking of seasoning packets, is that much
> different than using a curry paste from a jar instead?
> perhaps, but not much, vs. making your own from fresh
> ground/roasted spices.
>
> i'm making a Thai dish next week, i won't worry too
> much about using a pre-made curry paste. i like it.

I have no clue about curry paste. Never bought it as we don't like curry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 21:44:35 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just
>>remodeled.
>>For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those stores that
>>sells most everything. They recently began selling some items online. This
>>particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a greater variety
>>of of food but they had to cut back on other things.
>>
>>The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
>>zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are odd,
>>free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to find
>>stuff.
>>Even the produce section has a weird layout.
>>
>>But the weirdest thing was the sign overhead telling us that the boxed
>>meal
>>kits were there. Say what? I had to peek because it clearly wasn't stuff
>>like Blue Apron as it wasn't a refrigerated aisle. What they meant was
>>boxed
>>mac and cheese, Hamburger Helper and things of that ilk.
>>
>>My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but would
>>be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks stuff
>>like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
>>something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
>>just can't see the need for such things.

> That isn't what there main site says. This is what they are promoting
> https://www.fredmeyer.com/search?query=%20meal%20kits
> No Hamburger Helper or Kraft Mac and Cheese

Not sure what you were trying to post but nothing came up. There was a "Home
Chef" listed to the left but no products. As I said... This was not a
refrigerated aisle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 21:44:35 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just
>>remodeled.
>>For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those stores that
>>sells most everything. They recently began selling some items online. This
>>particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a greater variety
>>of of food but they had to cut back on other things.
>>
>>The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
>>zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are odd,
>>free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to find
>>stuff.
>>Even the produce section has a weird layout.
>>
>>But the weirdest thing was the sign overhead telling us that the boxed
>>meal
>>kits were there. Say what? I had to peek because it clearly wasn't stuff
>>like Blue Apron as it wasn't a refrigerated aisle. What they meant was
>>boxed
>>mac and cheese, Hamburger Helper and things of that ilk.
>>
>>My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but would
>>be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks stuff
>>like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
>>something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
>>just can't see the need for such things.

> Well, Julie. You successfully got everyone riled up with righteous
> indignation.
> True, there are meal kits.
> However, they are not Hamburger Helper and the ilk.
> But it made a good story.

I know what I saw. I did walk down the aisle. That's what the sign said and
that's what was there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 9:44:43 PM UTC-8, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just
>> remodeled.
>> For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those stores that
>> sells most everything. They recently began selling some items online.
>> This
>> particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a greater
>> variety
>> of of food but they had to cut back on other things.
>>
>> The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
>> zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are
>> odd,
>> free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to find
>> stuff.
>> Even the produce section has a weird layout.
>>
>> But the weirdest thing was the sign overhead telling us that the boxed
>> meal
>> kits were there. Say what? I had to peek because it clearly wasn't stuff
>> like Blue Apron as it wasn't a refrigerated aisle. What they meant was
>> boxed
>> mac and cheese, Hamburger Helper and things of that ilk.
>>
>> My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but
>> would
>> be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks
>> stuff
>> like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
>> something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
>> just can't see the need for such things.

> The new Kroger meal kits are in the fresh foods section. They are
> evidently becoming popular.
>
> https://www.kroger.com/b/preppared

Could be but this wasn't a refrigerated aisle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 10:44:43 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just
>> remodeled.
>> For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those stores that
>> sells most everything. They recently began selling some items online.
>> This
>> particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a greater
>> variety
>> of of food but they had to cut back on other things.
>>
>> The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
>> zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are
>> odd,
>> free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to find
>> stuff.
>> Even the produce section has a weird layout.
>>
>> But the weirdest thing was the sign overhead telling us that the boxed
>> meal
>> kits were there. Say what? I had to peek because it clearly wasn't stuff
>> like Blue Apron as it wasn't a refrigerated aisle. What they meant was
>> boxed
>> mac and cheese, Hamburger Helper and things of that ilk.
>>
>> My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but
>> would
>> be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks
>> stuff
>> like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
>> something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
>> just can't see the need for such things.

> So don't buy them and let those who can't or won't cook use them. Who are
> you
> to judge whether they are NEEDED or not?
>
> After all, you buy already shredded salad stuff like lettuce and celery.
> I don't see the need for those items unless you are too lazy to cut them
> up
> yourself.
> ====

I buy shredded celery? I've never even seen such a thing. Once in a while I
buy a small bag of shredded iceberg when I know I will use it for tacos or
sandwiches. Reason for that is I will never use up a head of iceberg. We
don't eat that as salad. Most of the time I buy whole heads of lettuce or
other greens. During the warm season, I grow my own,.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
news
> writes:
>>I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just
>>remodeled.
>>For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those stores that
>>sells most everything. They recently began selling some items online. This
>>particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a greater variety
>>of of food but they had to cut back on other things.
>>
>>The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
>>zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are odd,
>>free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to find
>>stuff.
>>Even the produce section has a weird layout.

> My fred meyer puts the same stuff in more than one location - and I
> don't mean the organic stuff separate from non, I mean the same brown
> eggs are in two separate places, the same milk, the same pepperoni,
> the same Lay's chips. They recently shifted the bacon (which is all in
> one place) about eight feet to the right. There may be a method but it's
> not centered on the shopper's convenience.

I have seen that too. This one disbanded the health food section and put
that stuff in with the regular stuff. I loved it back in the old days when
the health food was a dept. of its own complete with cash register. I would
go in, shop only that section and leave. The Lynnwood one also had a spiffy
candy counter, Shoreline is a much smaller store. Don't remember the candy
counter there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 01:44:55 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Roy" > wrote in message

>> After all, you buy already shredded salad stuff like lettuce and celery.
>> I don't see the need for those items unless you are too lazy to cut them
>> up
>> yourself.
>> ====

>I buy shredded celery? I've never even seen such a thing. Once in a while I
>buy a small bag of shredded iceberg when I know I will use it for tacos or
>sandwiches. Reason for that is I will never use up a head of iceberg.

You could buy a whole iceberg lettuce, shred one half and send the
other half to Yemen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
news

> I remember my grandma playing a joke on one of my older boy cousins. She
> was fixing to bake pies. She always saved her jar lids and used them to
> make little pies for us kids. She told my cousin that he had better not
> get into the sugar because if he did, he wouldn't get his own pie. Then
> she took me outside where she was watering the flowers by her front door.
> She told me that he'd be out in no time flat, choking. I asked her why?
> She just told me to wait a minute and I'd see.
>
> Sure enough came flying out the door, gagging and coughing. That's when
> she told us that the white pile of powder sitting on the waxed paper was
> flour and not sugar!

Wow, sounds like the grandma from Hell.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brice" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 01:44:55 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Roy" > wrote in message

>>> After all, you buy already shredded salad stuff like lettuce and celery.
>>> I don't see the need for those items unless you are too lazy to cut them
>>> up
>>> yourself.
>>> ====

>>I buy shredded celery? I've never even seen such a thing. Once in a while
>>buy a small bag of shredded iceberg when I know I will use it for tacos or
>>sandwiches. Reason for that is I will never use up a head of iceberg.

> You could buy a whole iceberg lettuce, shred one half and send the
> other half to Yemen.

Or feed it to the bears to attract the *hungry critters* to her yard. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brice wrote:

> > Once in a while I
> >buy a small bag of shredded iceberg when I know I will use it for tacos or
> >sandwiches. Reason for that is I will never use up a head of iceberg.

> You could buy a whole iceberg lettuce, shred one half and send the
> other half to Yemen.

A whole head of lettuce is usually less than a preshedded bag.
You also get more very fresh for the money.
Even if you don't use it all, it's still cheaper to buy whole.

When I buy a whole head, it's usually on sale for about $1.00. As
I know it might go bad before I use it, I actually plan meals
around it as to use it up before it goes off. Keep it no more
than a week at the longest... use within 3-4 days is best.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Friday, November 9, 2018 at 1:41:14 AM UTC-8, Julie Bove wrote:
> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> > On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 9:44:43 PM UTC-8, Julie Bove wrote:
> >> I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just
> >> remodeled.
> >> For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those stores that
> >> sells most everything. They recently began selling some items online.
> >> This
> >> particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a greater
> >> variety
> >> of of food but they had to cut back on other things.
> >>
> >> The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
> >> zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are
> >> odd,
> >> free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to find
> >> stuff.
> >> Even the produce section has a weird layout.
> >>
> >> But the weirdest thing was the sign overhead telling us that the boxed
> >> meal
> >> kits were there. Say what? I had to peek because it clearly wasn't stuff
> >> like Blue Apron as it wasn't a refrigerated aisle. What they meant was
> >> boxed
> >> mac and cheese, Hamburger Helper and things of that ilk.
> >>
> >> My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but
> >> would
> >> be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks
> >> stuff
> >> like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
> >> something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
> >> just can't see the need for such things.

> > The new Kroger meal kits are in the fresh foods section. They are
> > evidently becoming popular.
> >
> > https://www.kroger.com/b/preppared

> Could be but this wasn't a refrigerated aisle.

I'm willing to bet you actual money that it was a REFRIGERATED CASE sitting in an isle not in the regular refrigerated section.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Brice wrote:
>>
>> > Once in a while I
>> >buy a small bag of shredded iceberg when I know I will use it for tacos
>> >or
>> >sandwiches. Reason for that is I will never use up a head of iceberg.

>> You could buy a whole iceberg lettuce, shred one half and send the
>> other half to Yemen.

> A whole head of lettuce is usually less than a preshedded bag.
> You also get more very fresh for the money.
> Even if you don't use it all, it's still cheaper to buy whole.
>
> When I buy a whole head, it's usually on sale for about $1.00. As
> I know it might go bad before I use it, I actually plan meals
> around it as to use it up before it goes off. Keep it no more
> than a week at the longest... use within 3-4 days is best.

When I don't use it all and it become rusty, I feed it to the worms in
compost pile.

Cheri