Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boxed Meal Kits?

writes:
>>>I took my friend shopping yesterday to a Fred Meyer that was just
>>>remodeled.
>>>For those not familiar with Fred Meyer, they are one of those stores that
>>>sells most everything. They recently began selling some items online. This
>>>particular store said the remodel was so they could sell a greater variety
>>>of of food but they had to cut back on other things.
>>>
>>>The new layout makes no sense. The entire back of the grocery section
>>>zigzags around with things like meat and dairy products but there are odd,
>>>free standing coolers of things like ham. Makes it super hard to find
>>>stuff.
>>>Even the produce section has a weird layout.

>> My fred meyer puts the same stuff in more than one location - and I
>> don't mean the organic stuff separate from non, I mean the same brown
>> eggs are in two separate places, the same milk, the same pepperoni,
>> the same Lay's chips. They recently shifted the bacon (which is all in
>> one place) about eight feet to the right. There may be a method but it's
>> not centered on the shopper's convenience.

>I have seen that too. This one disbanded the health food section and put
>that stuff in with the regular stuff. I loved it back in the old days when
>the health food was a dept. of its own complete with cash register. I would
>go in, shop only that section and leave. The Lynnwood one also had a spiffy
>candy counter, Shoreline is a much smaller store. Don't remember the candy
>counter there.

The deli at my fred meyer is slow - the staff are slow, and there is
no organization as far as a line or number system. If I need something
from the deli I circle back to it a couple of times during my shopping
trip and go when there aren't many people waiting. Sometimes I circle
back and see all the same people waiting five minutes later.

Fortunately the thing I usually get there is black forest ham, and
they've started slicing and bagging it ahead of time in 1/2 lb to 1 lb
portions so I can just grab and go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Nov 2018 11:12:07 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Brice wrote:
>>
>> > Once in a while I
>> >buy a small bag of shredded iceberg when I know I will use it for tacos or
>> >sandwiches. Reason for that is I will never use up a head of iceberg.

>> You could buy a whole iceberg lettuce, shred one half and send the
>> other half to Yemen.

>A whole head of lettuce is usually less than a preshedded bag.
>You also get more very fresh for the money.
>Even if you don't use it all, it's still cheaper to buy whole.

But then you might have to throw some out and make the US sell more
weapons to the Saudis.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> I remember my grandma playing a joke on one of my older boy cousins. She
>> was fixing to bake pies. She always saved her jar lids and used them to
>> make little pies for us kids. She told my cousin that he had better not
>> get into the sugar because if he did, he wouldn't get his own pie. Then
>> she took me outside where she was watering the flowers by her front door.
>> She told me that he'd be out in no time flat, choking. I asked her why?
>> She just told me to wait a minute and I'd see.
>>
>> Sure enough came flying out the door, gagging and coughing. That's when
>> she told us that the white pile of powder sitting on the waxed paper was
>> flour and not sugar!

> Wow, sounds like the grandma from Hell.

No. That would be the other one. She just got sick of him getting into the
sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Friday, November 9, 2018 at 1:41:14 AM UTC-8, Julie Bove wrote:

>> > The new Kroger meal kits are in the fresh foods section. They are
>> > evidently becoming popular.
>> >
>> > https://www.kroger.com/b/preppared

>> Could be but this wasn't a refrigerated aisle.

> I'm willing to bet you actual money that it was a REFRIGERATED CASE
> sitting in an isle not in the regular refrigerated section.

Nope.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Brice wrote:
>>
>> > Once in a while I
>> >buy a small bag of shredded iceberg when I know I will use it for tacos
>> >or
>> >sandwiches. Reason for that is I will never use up a head of iceberg.

>> You could buy a whole iceberg lettuce, shred one half and send the
>> other half to Yemen.

> A whole head of lettuce is usually less than a preshedded bag.
> You also get more very fresh for the money.
> Even if you don't use it all, it's still cheaper to buy whole.

But a whole head takes up a ton of room in my fridge. Yes, there is waste
when I buy a bag because I generally only use a little bit. No need wasting
a whole head. Not even sure my gardener would feed that to his goats. A bag
is 99 cents. A whole head is usually more money than that.

> When I buy a whole head, it's usually on sale for about $1.00. As
> I know it might go bad before I use it, I actually plan meals
> around it as to use it up before it goes off. Keep it no more
> than a week at the longest... use within 3-4 days is best.

Your prices are less there than here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>>> My fred meyer puts the same stuff in more than one location - and I
>>> don't mean the organic stuff separate from non, I mean the same brown
>>> eggs are in two separate places, the same milk, the same pepperoni,
>>> the same Lay's chips. They recently shifted the bacon (which is all in
>>> one place) about eight feet to the right. There may be a method but it's
>>> not centered on the shopper's convenience.

>>I have seen that too. This one disbanded the health food section and put
>>that stuff in with the regular stuff. I loved it back in the old days when
>>the health food was a dept. of its own complete with cash register. I
>>would
>>go in, shop only that section and leave. The Lynnwood one also had a
>>spiffy
>>candy counter, Shoreline is a much smaller store. Don't remember the candy
>>counter there.

> The deli at my fred meyer is slow - the staff are slow, and there is
> no organization as far as a line or number system. If I need something
> from the deli I circle back to it a couple of times during my shopping
> trip and go when there aren't many people waiting. Sometimes I circle
> back and see all the same people waiting five minutes later.
>
> Fortunately the thing I usually get there is black forest ham, and
> they've started slicing and bagging it ahead of time in 1/2 lb to 1 lb
> portions so I can just grab and go.

They're not my favorite store for groceries. They don't even sell wheat
grass and overall their prices are high. When Angela was young, I bought her
clothes there. We don't care for most of their adult clothing but we did get
some sweaters one year. I do like their plants though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Nov 2018 11:12:07 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Brice wrote:
>>
>> > Once in a while I
>> >buy a small bag of shredded iceberg when I know I will use it for tacos or
>> >sandwiches. Reason for that is I will never use up a head of iceberg.

>> You could buy a whole iceberg lettuce, shred one half and send the
>> other half to Yemen.

>A whole head of lettuce is usually less than a preshedded bag.
>You also get more very fresh for the money.
>Even if you don't use it all, it's still cheaper to buy whole.
>
>When I buy a whole head, it's usually on sale for about $1.00. As
>I know it might go bad before I use it, I actually plan meals
>around it as to use it up before it goes off. Keep it no more
>than a week at the longest... use within 3-4 days is best.

I often buy whole heads of lettuce, various kinds. I never buy those
plastic bags of chopped salad stuff, they disgust me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 21:44:35 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but would
> be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks stuff
> like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
> something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
> just can't see the need for such things.

Yea, nobody buys those, not even in Bothell. That's why there's 3-4
different brands covering 50 different varieties in almost every
store in the nation.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 01:37:04 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> "songbird" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but
>>> would
>>> be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks
>>> stuff
>>> like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
>>> something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
>>> just can't see the need for such things.

>> a long time ago i used them for a meal once in a while
>> but then i learned how to cook different cuisines and
>> haven't done any since.
>>
>> comparing a boxed version of hamburger helper lasagna
>> and a real lasagna i don't see how anyone would prefer
>> the boxed version over the other, but i guess it could
>> happen...
>>
>> however, thinking of seasoning packets, is that much
>> different than using a curry paste from a jar instead?
>> perhaps, but not much, vs. making your own from fresh
>> ground/roasted spices.
>>
>> i'm making a Thai dish next week, i won't worry too
>> much about using a pre-made curry paste. i like it.

> I have no clue about curry paste. Never bought it as we don't like curry.

THAT'S what you got out her response? You just read it waiting for
her to say something you didn't like, then pounced on that?

Same 'ol Bove.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
news

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> news
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> news
>>>
>>> I remember my grandma playing a joke on one of my older boy cousins. She
>>> was fixing to bake pies. She always saved her jar lids and used them to
>>> make little pies for us kids. She told my cousin that he had better not
>>> get into the sugar because if he did, he wouldn't get his own pie. Then
>>> she took me outside where she was watering the flowers by her front
>>> door. She told me that he'd be out in no time flat, choking. I asked her
>>> why? She just told me to wait a minute and I'd see.
>>>
>>> Sure enough came flying out the door, gagging and coughing. That's when
>>> she told us that the white pile of powder sitting on the waxed paper was
>>> flour and not sugar!

>> Wow, sounds like the grandma from Hell.

> No. That would be the other one. She just got sick of him getting into the
> sugar.

I don't care, what kind of grandma does that? Goes to the trouble to set a
trap for her grandson, and then takes you outside to watch him choking?
Great memories of dear old grandma are not her goal obviously.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 01:37:04 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> a long time ago i used them for a meal once in a while
>>> but then i learned how to cook different cuisines and
>>> haven't done any since.
>>>
>>> comparing a boxed version of hamburger helper lasagna
>>> and a real lasagna i don't see how anyone would prefer
>>> the boxed version over the other, but i guess it could
>>> happen...
>>>
>>> however, thinking of seasoning packets, is that much
>>> different than using a curry paste from a jar instead?
>>> perhaps, but not much, vs. making your own from fresh
>>> ground/roasted spices.
>>>
>>> i'm making a Thai dish next week, i won't worry too
>>> much about using a pre-made curry paste. i like it.

>> I have no clue about curry paste. Never bought it as we don't like curry.

> THAT'S what you got out her response? You just read it waiting for
> her to say something you didn't like, then pounced on that?
>
> Same 'ol Bove.

I also said that I don't know what it is. I don't know what it looks like,
where one would find it in the store, etc. Why? I don't like curry so would
never buy it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>>

>>> Wow, sounds like the grandma from Hell.

>> No. That would be the other one. She just got sick of him getting into
>> the sugar.

> I don't care, what kind of grandma does that? Goes to the trouble to set a
> trap for her grandson, and then takes you outside to watch him choking?
> Great memories of dear old grandma are not her goal obviously.

Well, I thought it was funny. Still do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 21:44:35 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> My friend doesn't cook. She can make a few things like pot roast but
>> would
>> be totally lost without things like seasoning packets and she thinks
>> stuff
>> like Hamburger Helper are the way to go. I don't get it. If you want
>> something *like* Hamburger Helper, it's easy enough to do from scratch. I
>> just can't see the need for such things.

> Yea, nobody buys those, not even in Bothell. That's why there's 3-4
> different brands covering 50 different varieties in almost every
> store in the nation.

I know people buy them. I just can't see why.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> I don't care, what kind of grandma does that? Goes to the trouble to set a
> trap for her grandson, and then takes you outside to watch him choking?
> Great memories of dear old grandma are not her goal obviously.

LMAO! (and it's rare that I do that) ;-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2018 1:54 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>>

>>> Wow, sounds like the grandma from Hell.

>> No. That would be the other one. She just got sick of him getting into
>> the sugar.

> I don't care, what kind of grandma does that? Goes to the trouble to set
> a trap for her grandson, and then takes you outside to watch him
> choking? Great memories of dear old grandma are not her goal obviously.
>
> Cheri

My grandmother would have just told us to stay the hell out of her
kitchen. Then again, it would never have occurred to any of us
grandchildren to eat a pile of white sugar. I'm pretty sure we would
have been able to tell the difference between sugar and flour, too. I
sincerely doubt this tall tale.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-10 1:54 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>> No. That would be the other one. She just got sick of him getting into
>> the sugar.

> I don't care, what kind of grandma does that? Goes to the trouble to set
> a trap for her grandson, and then takes you outside to watch him
> choking? Great memories of dear old grandma are not her goal obviously.

There are deep roots of dysfunction in the Bove clan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2018 5:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> I have no clue about curry paste. Never bought it as we don't like
>>> curry.

>> THAT'S what you got out her response?Â* You just read it waiting for
>> her to say something you didn't like, then pounced on that?
>>
>> Same 'ol Bove.

> I also said that I don't know what it is. I don't know what it looks
> like, where one would find it in the store, etc. Why? I don't like curry
> so would never buy it.

Then why bother to reply? I know what curry and curry paste is (there
are many different types). You just chime in to say you don't know what
it is, therefore you don't like it. How typical.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
news

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> news
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> No. That would be the other one. She just got sick of him getting into
>>> the sugar.

>> I don't care, what kind of grandma does that? Goes to the trouble to set
>> a trap for her grandson, and then takes you outside to watch him choking?
>> Great memories of dear old grandma are not her goal obviously.

> Well, I thought it was funny. Still do.

Just a difference of opinion.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/10/2018 1:54 AM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> No. That would be the other one. She just got sick of him getting into
>>> the sugar.

>> I don't care, what kind of grandma does that? Goes to the trouble to set
>> a trap for her grandson, and then takes you outside to watch him choking?
>> Great memories of dear old grandma are not her goal obviously.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> My grandmother would have just told us to stay the hell out of her
> kitchen. Then again, it would never have occurred to any of us
> grandchildren to eat a pile of white sugar. I'm pretty sure we would have
> been able to tell the difference between sugar and flour, too. I
> sincerely doubt this tall tale.
>
> Jill

Honestly, my grandma wouldn't have cared, she used to make us kids those
little pie thingies all the time and not once did she ever want to watch us
"choke." I picture this lady as the grandma that would watch her grandson
choke, with other granchildren calling her to laugh about it. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=760uy8Oa_XM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2018 10:10 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 11/10/2018 1:54 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>>

>>> I don't care, what kind of grandma does that? Goes to the trouble to
>>> set a trap for her grandson, and then takes you outside to watch him
>>> choking? Great memories of dear old grandma are not her goal obviously.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> My grandmother would have just told us to stay the hell out of her
>> kitchen. * Then again, it would never have occurred to any of us
>> grandchildren to eat a pile of white sugar.* I'm pretty sure we would
>> have been able to tell the difference between sugar and flour, too.* I
>> sincerely doubt this tall tale.
>>
>> Jill

> Honestly, my grandma wouldn't have cared, she used to make us kids those
> little pie thingies all the time and not once did she ever want to watch
> us "choke." I picture this lady as the grandma that would watch her
> grandson choke, with other granchildren calling her to laugh about it. LOL
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=760uy8Oa_XM

I can't view that video. Says it's restricted. Might have to do with
my ad blocker and other software.

I still can't imagine anyone purposefully wanting to trick a child to
eat flour and choke and cough just so they won't get into the sugar.
Just tell the child not to! I sound like an old fogey, but hey, when I
was a kid we learned respect and if Grandma (or Mom or Dad) said "Don't
do that" we didn't. <shrug>

Jill
Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Brice wrote:
>>
>> > Once in a while I
>> >buy a small bag of shredded iceberg when I know I will use it for tacos
>> >or
>> >sandwiches. Reason for that is I will never use up a head of iceberg.

>> You could buy a whole iceberg lettuce, shred one half and send the
>> other half to Yemen.

> A whole head of lettuce is usually less than a preshedded bag.
> You also get more very fresh for the money.
> Even if you don't use it all, it's still cheaper to buy whole.
>
> When I buy a whole head, it's usually on sale for about $1.00. As
> I know it might go bad before I use it, I actually plan meals
> around it as to use it up before it goes off. Keep it no more
> than a week at the longest... use within 3-4 days is best.

When I don't use it all and it become rusty, I feed it to the worms in
compost pile.

Cheri

==

Yes, that is where ours ends up )

BTW is the lettuce you buy wrapped in cellophane/clear plastic? I found
that if I take it off and wrap it myself in paper towels, it lasts a lot
longer in the fridge!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >

>>> You could buy a whole iceberg lettuce, shred one half and send the
>>> other half to Yemen.

>> A whole head of lettuce is usually less than a preshedded bag.
>> You also get more very fresh for the money.
>> Even if you don't use it all, it's still cheaper to buy whole.
>>
>> When I buy a whole head, it's usually on sale for about $1.00. As
>> I know it might go bad before I use it, I actually plan meals
>> around it as to use it up before it goes off. Keep it no more
>> than a week at the longest... use within 3-4 days is best.

> When I don't use it all and it become rusty, I feed it to the worms in
> compost pile.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> Yes, that is where ours ends up )
>
> BTW is the lettuce you buy wrapped in cellophane/clear plastic? I found
> that if I take it off and wrap it myself in paper towels, it lasts a lot
> longer in the fridge!

Yes, it is wrapped and I always take it off and wrap in paper towels too.
Great minds.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >

>>> tacos >or
>>>
>>> You could buy a whole iceberg lettuce, shred one half and send the
>>> other half to Yemen.

>> A whole head of lettuce is usually less than a preshedded bag.
>> You also get more very fresh for the money.
>> Even if you don't use it all, it's still cheaper to buy whole.
>>
>> When I buy a whole head, it's usually on sale for about $1.00. As
>> I know it might go bad before I use it, I actually plan meals
>> around it as to use it up before it goes off. Keep it no more
>> than a week at the longest... use within 3-4 days is best.

> When I don't use it all and it become rusty, I feed it to the worms in
> compost pile.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> Yes, that is where ours ends up )
>
> BTW is the lettuce you buy wrapped in cellophane/clear plastic? I found
> that if I take it off and wrap it myself in paper towels, it lasts a lot
> longer in the fridge!

Sounds like a plan ... but then I realized all the paper towels would
cost as much as the lettuce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hank Rogers" wrote in message news
Ophelia wrote:

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >

>>> tacos >or
>>>
>>> You could buy a whole iceberg lettuce, shred one half and send the
>>> other half to Yemen.

>> A whole head of lettuce is usually less than a preshedded bag.
>> You also get more very fresh for the money.
>> Even if you don't use it all, it's still cheaper to buy whole.
>>
>> When I buy a whole head, it's usually on sale for about $1.00. As
>> I know it might go bad before I use it, I actually plan meals
>> around it as to use it up before it goes off. Keep it no more
>> than a week at the longest... use within 3-4 days is best.

> When I don't use it all and it become rusty, I feed it to the worms in
> compost pile.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> Yes, that is where ours ends up )
>
> BTW is the lettuce you buy wrapped in cellophane/clear plastic? I found
> that if I take it off and wrap it myself in paper towels, it lasts a lot
> longer in the fridge!

Sounds like a plan ... but then I realized all the paper towels would
cost as much as the lettuce

==

Really??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >

>>> You could buy a whole iceberg lettuce, shred one half and send the
>>> other half to Yemen.

>> A whole head of lettuce is usually less than a preshedded bag.
>> You also get more very fresh for the money.
>> Even if you don't use it all, it's still cheaper to buy whole.
>>
>> When I buy a whole head, it's usually on sale for about $1.00. As
>> I know it might go bad before I use it, I actually plan meals
>> around it as to use it up before it goes off. Keep it no more
>> than a week at the longest... use within 3-4 days is best.

> When I don't use it all and it become rusty, I feed it to the worms in
> compost pile.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> Yes, that is where ours ends up )
>
> BTW is the lettuce you buy wrapped in cellophane/clear plastic? I found
> that if I take it off and wrap it myself in paper towels, it lasts a lot
> longer in the fridge!

Yes, it is wrapped and I always take it off and wrap in paper towels too.
Great minds.

Cheri

===
)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-10 8:15 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/10/2018 1:54 AM, Cheri wrote:

>> I don't care, what kind of grandma does that? Goes to the trouble to
>> set a trap for her grandson, and then takes you outside to watch him
>> choking? Great memories of dear old grandma are not her goal obviously.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> My grandmother would have just told us to stay the hell out of her
> kitchen. Â* Then again, it would never have occurred to any of us
> grandchildren to eat a pile of white sugar.Â* I'm pretty sure we would
> have been able to tell the difference between sugar and flour, too.Â* I
> sincerely doubt this tall tale.

There is no end to the dysfunction in Julie's family, or maybe there is
just no end to Julie's stories. File this one away and remind her about
it. She will probably deny having posted it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Hank Rogers" wrote in message news > Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >>

>>> A whole head of lettuce is usually less than a preshedded bag.
>>> You also get more very fresh for the money.
>>> Even if you don't use it all, it's still cheaper to buy whole.
>>>
>>> When I buy a whole head, it's usually on sale for about $1.00. As
>>> I know it might go bad before I use it, I actually plan meals
>>> around it as to use it up before it goes off. Keep it no more
>>> than a week at the longest... use within 3-4 days is best.

>> When I don't use it all and it become rusty, I feed it to the worms in
>> compost pile.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Yes, that is where ours ends up )
>>
>> BTW is the lettuce you buy wrapped in cellophane/clear plastic? I found
>> that if I take it off and wrap it myself in paper towels, it lasts a lot
>> longer in the fridge!
>>

> Sounds like a plan ... but then I realized all the paper towels would
> cost as much as the lettuce
>
> ==
>
> Really??

Paper product here are expensive. 6 rolls for $9. There are cheaper
brands like sparkle, but not very good for general use (they dissolve
when wet).

Lettuce here is generally only about $1 per head. I don't know what it
costs there in old blighty though.

Sometimes the heads are small and light, but many times they are tightly
packed and very good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:33:21 -0600, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Hank Rogers" wrote in message news >> Ophelia wrote:

>>> When I don't use it all and it become rusty, I feed it to the worms in
>>> compost pile.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Yes, that is where ours ends up )
>>>
>>> BTW is the lettuce you buy wrapped in cellophane/clear plastic? I found
>>> that if I take it off and wrap it myself in paper towels, it lasts a lot
>>> longer in the fridge!
>>>

>> Sounds like a plan ... but then I realized all the paper towels would
>> cost as much as the lettuce
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Really??
>>

>Paper product here are expensive. 6 rolls for $9. There are cheaper
>brands like sparkle, but not very good for general use (they dissolve
>when wet).
>
>Lettuce here is generally only about $1 per head. I don't know what it
>costs there in old blighty though.
>
>Sometimes the heads are small and light, but many times they are tightly
>packed and very good.

Foxy Brand iceberg is usually 99¢ a head, I feel them all for the most
zoftic one I can find. The ladies enjoy watching me feel, heft, and
sniff the produce while wishing it was them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:38:28 -0600, Hank Rogers >

>> On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 12:10:09 +1100, Brice >
>> wrote:

>>> Poor Popeye. It doesn't take much to disgust him.

>> You disgust me too and you certainly ain't much, you ignoranus
>> *******.
>>

>Dammit Popeye, yoose forgot to call him a *FAGGOT* and a *LIAR*
>
>Yoose are really slipping little sailor. I'm gonna report yoose ass to
>the admiral.

I did call him an ignoranus *******... thats gotta be good for two
liars and three faggots. I'm sure most Admirals are faggots... they
sucked their way up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 10, 2018 at 6:33:03 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers wrote:

> Paper product here are expensive. 6 rolls for $9. There are cheaper
> brands like sparkle, but not very good for general use (they dissolve
> when wet).

Where are you buying paper towels??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/10/2018 1:54 AM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> No. That would be the other one. She just got sick of him getting into
>>> the sugar.

>> I don't care, what kind of grandma does that? Goes to the trouble to set
>> a trap for her grandson, and then takes you outside to watch him choking?
>> Great memories of dear old grandma are not her goal obviously.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> My grandmother would have just told us to stay the hell out of her
> kitchen. Then again, it would never have occurred to any of us
> grandchildren to eat a pile of white sugar. I'm pretty sure we would have
> been able to tell the difference between sugar and flour, too. I
> sincerely doubt this tall tale.

He might have thought it was powdered sugar. I don't know. I knew the
difference even at that age. I think I was 3 or 4.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2018-11-10 8:15 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 11/10/2018 1:54 AM, Cheri wrote:

>>> I don't care, what kind of grandma does that? Goes to the trouble to set
>>> a trap for her grandson, and then takes you outside to watch him
>>> choking? Great memories of dear old grandma are not her goal obviously.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> My grandmother would have just told us to stay the hell out of her
>> kitchen. Then again, it would never have occurred to any of us
>> grandchildren to eat a pile of white sugar. I'm pretty sure we would have
>> been able to tell the difference between sugar and flour, too. I
>> sincerely doubt this tall tale.

> There is no end to the dysfunction in Julie's family, or maybe there is
> just no end to Julie's stories. File this one away and remind her about
> it. She will probably deny having posted it.

No I won't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/10/2018 5:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> THAT'S what you got out her response? You just read it waiting for
>>> her to say something you didn't like, then pounced on that?
>>>
>>> Same 'ol Bove.

>> I also said that I don't know what it is. I don't know what it looks
>> like, where one would find it in the store, etc. Why? I don't like curry
>> so would never buy it.

> Then why bother to reply? I know what curry and curry paste is (there are
> many different types). You just chime in to say you don't know what it
> is, therefore you don't like it. How typical.

No. I said I don't like curry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Hank Rogers" wrote in message news > Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >>

>>> A whole head of lettuce is usually less than a preshedded bag.
>>> You also get more very fresh for the money.
>>> Even if you don't use it all, it's still cheaper to buy whole.
>>>
>>> When I buy a whole head, it's usually on sale for about $1.00. As
>>> I know it might go bad before I use it, I actually plan meals
>>> around it as to use it up before it goes off. Keep it no more
>>> than a week at the longest... use within 3-4 days is best.

>> When I don't use it all and it become rusty, I feed it to the worms in
>> compost pile.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Yes, that is where ours ends up )
>>
>> BTW is the lettuce you buy wrapped in cellophane/clear plastic? I found
>> that if I take it off and wrap it myself in paper towels, it lasts a lot
>> longer in the fridge!
>>

> Sounds like a plan ... but then I realized all the paper towels would cost
> as much as the lettuce
>
> ==
>
> Really??

Paper towels aren't cheap any more. You can get store brands for around $1 a
roll but they're small and not always good quality.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 02:58:08 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>
> I also said that I don't know what it is. I don't know what it looks like,
> where one would find it in the store, etc. Why? I don't like curry so would
> never buy it.

You don't know what it is, you don't know what it looks like, or
even know where to find it. BUT YOU DON'T LIKE IT?!?!?!?!

Do you ever listen to yourself whine?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 02:58:08 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>
>> I also said that I don't know what it is. I don't know what it looks
>> like,
>> where one would find it in the store, etc. Why? I don't like curry so
>> would
>> never buy it.

> You don't know what it is, you don't know what it looks like, or
> even know where to find it. BUT YOU DON'T LIKE IT?!?!?!?!
>
> Do you ever listen to yourself whine?
>
> -sw

I repeat. I don't like curry. I have tried it. I don't like the smell or the
taste. So why would I look for curry paste?