Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Delivered Meal Kits

Here's an article which states they aren't all that. And no, they won't
make you and your children have a better time together.

http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/

Meanwhile, sorry but I'd rather not. I'm pretty good putting meals
together without someone sending ingredients in a box.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> Here's an article which states they aren't all that. And no, they won't
> make you and your children have a better time together.
>
> http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/
>
> Meanwhile, sorry but I'd rather not. I'm pretty good putting meals
> together without someone sending ingredients in a box.

I get food delivered from grocery stores or restaurants from time to time
but would never consider a meal kit. I know some people like them but, just
not for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2017 6:45 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Here's an article which states they aren't all that. And no, they
> won't make you and your children have a better time together.
>
> http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/
>
> Meanwhile, sorry but I'd rather not. I'm pretty good putting meals
> together without someone sending ingredients in a box.
>
> Jill

Me too ! And that stuff can't possibly compete with home grown fruits
and veggies . It may be as fresh as off the shelf grocery store fare ,
but from the article it's $8 -$12 per serving . Our dinner tonight might
have cost us 3 bucks total , and we have leftovers . For sure the
locally-grown taters , okra , and tomatoes we had were fresher ...

--

Snag

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2017 9:02 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 7/22/2017 6:45 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Here's an article which states they aren't all that. And no, they
>> won't make you and your children have a better time together.
>>
>> http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/
>>
>> Meanwhile, sorry but I'd rather not. I'm pretty good putting meals
>> together without someone sending ingredients in a box.
>>
>> Jill

> Me too ! And that stuff can't possibly compete with home grown fruits
> and veggies . It may be as fresh as off the shelf grocery store fare ,
> but from the article it's $8 -$12 per serving . Our dinner tonight might
> have cost us 3 bucks total , and we have leftovers . For sure the
> locally-grown taters , okra , and tomatoes we had were fresher ...
>
> --
>
> Snag

I don't have a garden but I enjoy buying fresh from the local farm
stands. I rarely spend $8-$12 per person for a meal.

I'm sure these things work just fine if no one in the house has time to
shop and cook. But then, it seems to me those are the people who eat
out all the time anyway. I doubt having a box of pre-measured
ingredients with a recipe included is really going to make them want to
stay home and cook.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Sat 22 Jul 2017 04:45:12p, jmcquown told us...
>
>> Here's an article which states they aren't all that. And no, they
>> won't make you and your children have a better time together.
>>
>> http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/
>>
>> Meanwhile, sorry but I'd rather not. I'm pretty good putting
>> meals together without someone sending ingredients in a box.
>>
>> Jill

> It's an interesting concept, but I'm not so sure that I would want
> everything they send to make the meal. In my case, and I'm sure in the
> case of many other people, there's a situation where one person likes
> one thing, another person likes something else, and that only
> multiplies with the number people who will be eating. If you're really
> a spontaneous cook, you're might not be in the mood for what arrives.

True, someone else is deciding what you should cook that night. Too bad
if you're not in the mood for it, here's your dinner kit!

> All that aside, how good is the food? Not having read or researched
> the options, how many companies are now offering this meal in a box?

I have no idea about how good or how fresh the food is.

The brands I see ads for are Hello Fresh, Blue Apron, Martha Stewart.
Looking online, Amazon has hopped on the meal kit bandwagon. Know what
makes me even more leery? They all offer either $30 off or 50% off your
*first* order. That right there tells me whatever they're sending to
make one meal is waaay overpriced.

> We keep a well stocked refrigerator, freezer, and pantry, and I
> consider myself a pretty decent cook and have been planning meals for
> over 50 years. I don't I need it.

Ditto the well stocked freezer & pantry. This concept is simply not for me.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2017 7:45 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Here's an article which states they aren't all that. And no, they won't
> make you and your children have a better time together.
>
> http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/
>
> Meanwhile, sorry but I'd rather not. I'm pretty good putting meals
> together without someone sending ingredients in a box.
>
> Jill

I mentioned before that I tried Hello Fresh. They have a place but a
real foodies can do equal or better.

Ingredients are good quality
Quantity is good for two people.
Prep is not difficult, but it is not a big time saver. Most meals are 30
minutes or so.
It does save shopping trips
You do have packing material and a big ice pack to dispose of

Depending on your lifestyle, it is cheaper and faster than going to a
restaurant if you are a working couple. Cheaper than a restaurant but
certainly more than DIY

Some of the offerings are not what you may make as part of your routine.
One reason I tried it was I found I was getting into a rut making
similar meals over and over.

They have a place for working couples, but not so much for a real foodie
that likes to cook.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 02:21:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 22 Jul 2017 04:45:12p, jmcquown told us...
>
>> Here's an article which states they aren't all that. And no, they
>> won't make you and your children have a better time together.
>>
>> http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/
>>
>> Meanwhile, sorry but I'd rather not. I'm pretty good putting
>> meals together without someone sending ingredients in a box.
>>
>> Jill

>It's an interesting concept, but I'm not so sure that I would want
>everything they send to make the meal. In my case, and I'm sure in the
>case of many other people, there's a situation where one person likes
>one thing, another person likes something else, and that only
>multiplies with the number people who will be eating. If you're really
>a spontaneous cook, you're might not be in the mood for what arrives.
>
>There are more variables, of course, and that in itself can make it
>problamatic.
>
>All that aside, how good is the food? Not having read or researched
>the options, how many companies are now offering this meal in a box?
>
>We keep a well stocked refrigerator, freezer, and pantry, and I
>consider myself a pretty decent cook and have been planning meals for
>over 50 years. I don't I need it.

I can see situations where it would be useful - there's a woman down
the hall from me who fell, smashed her arm and broke her hip. She is
home finally after time in rehab, this would solve a few problems for
her! Back in the day when we were both working, had three kids, I
would have enjoyed a break occasionally. Usually the night we picked
up the groceries we would swing past KFC but an alternative would have
been nice once in awhile.

If you are very busy, or are inconvenienced then a delivered meal
might be tempting. They have 'Meals to go" in my supermarket but I
don't bother, not my sort of taste and expensive, but they sell.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 06:59:11 -0400, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> If you are very busy, or are inconvenienced then a delivered meal
>> might be tempting. They have 'Meals to go" in my supermarket but I
>> don't bother, not my sort of taste and expensive, but they sell.

>While I'm still working, a good frozen dinner is fine for me on
>busy days. If I run out of home-cooked-and-frozen meals, I have
>no problem buying some of the commercial frozen dinners. I always
>keep a few favorites on hand. They have vastly improved since the
>1960's Swanson frozen turkey dinners. I don't turn my nose up at
>anything.
>
>I love to cook but not so much after a long day at work then
>still chores at home to do.

I agree about the frozen dinners, I resort to them and sympathise with
the long day at work then home and faced with more I am retired
and still on Monday mornings if it is snowing, think sympathetically
of people who have to commute - I do also stay clear of commuting
hours so as not to add to it for those who have to be there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> If you are very busy, or are inconvenienced then a delivered meal
>> might be tempting. They have 'Meals to go" in my supermarket but I
>> don't bother, not my sort of taste and expensive, but they sell.

>While I'm still working, a good frozen dinner is fine for me on
>busy days. If I run out of home-cooked-and-frozen meals, I have
>no problem buying some of the commercial frozen dinners. I always
>keep a few favorites on hand. They have vastly improved since the
>1960's Swanson frozen turkey dinners. I don't turn my nose up at
>anything.
>
>I love to cook but not so much after a long day at work then
>still chores at home to do.

That's why it's good to own some larger cookware... home cooked left
overs are always leagues ahead of TV Dinners. Three days ago I cooked
pot roast for dinner, enough for two more times. Tonight dozen egg
potato omelets, will be for tomorrow too. After working outside all
day I don't feel like cooking either, nor do I have the time to do a
meal justice, and we don't mind eating the same thing 2-3 days in a
row... I could never understand the logic of people who won't eat left
overs, if pot roast was good the first day it would be better the
second day, and even better the third day. The best thing about left
over is all the hours saved from kitchen chores. Besides left overs
for a day or two when possible I cook enough to stock a few meals in
the freezer too. Even pot roast freezes well except for the potatoes,
so turn the extras into potato salad... cold sliced pot roast is
excellent for sandwhiches.

I never bother to look at those frozen meals in the store's freezer
case, the few times I tried them they made me gack, became crow
food.... last time a couple years ago on a recomendation I bought a
three pound tray of frozen swedish meatballs... inedible... shoulda
been labeled greasy stale bread balls, shoulda known when meat was the
third ingredient listed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2017 9:34 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/23/2017 6:59 AM, Gary wrote:

>> I love to cook but not so much after a long day at work then
>> still chores at home to do.
>>

> Stouffer's makes some tasty frozen entrees The thing about these
> dinner kits is you still have to do all the work: chop and cook the
> veggies and the meat, add seasonings. The only real convenience is
> someone put the *ingredients* in a box and sent it to you.
>
> Jill

Right, no shopping, no thinking.

Part of it is psychological. If I have to prep, I'm really cooking,
therefore I'm a great housewife and mother. I'm superior to people just
nuking a TV dinner.

When cake mixes first hit the grocery stores they did not sell well.
The company reconfigured so you had to add an egg with the milk and they
became acceptable since now you were really baking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2017 6:43 AM, wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 02:21:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sat 22 Jul 2017 04:45:12p, jmcquown told us...
>>
>>> Here's an article which states they aren't all that. And no, they
>>> won't make you and your children have a better time together.

http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/

>>> Meanwhile, sorry but I'd rather not. I'm pretty good putting
>>> meals together without someone sending ingredients in a box.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> It's an interesting concept, but I'm not so sure that I would want
>> everything they send to make the meal. In my case, and I'm sure in the
>> case of many other people, there's a situation where one person likes
>> one thing, another person likes something else, and that only
>> multiplies with the number people who will be eating. If you're really
>> a spontaneous cook, you're might not be in the mood for what arrives.
>>
>> There are more variables, of course, and that in itself can make it
>> problamatic.
>>
>> All that aside, how good is the food? Not having read or researched
>> the options, how many companies are now offering this meal in a box?
>>
>> We keep a well stocked refrigerator, freezer, and pantry, and I
>> consider myself a pretty decent cook and have been planning meals for
>> over 50 years. I don't I need it.

> I can see situations where it would be useful - there's a woman down
> the hall from me who fell, smashed her arm and broke her hip. She is
> home finally after time in rehab, this would solve a few problems for
> her! Back in the day when we were both working, had three kids, I
> would have enjoyed a break occasionally. Usually the night we picked
> up the groceries we would swing past KFC but an alternative would have
> been nice once in awhile.
>
> If you are very busy, or are inconvenienced then a delivered meal
> might be tempting. They have 'Meals to go" in my supermarket but I
> don't bother, not my sort of taste and expensive, but they sell.

You do understand they simply deliver the *ingredients* to you, right?
Raw. Comes with a recipe. You still have to do all the prep work and
the actual cooking. Using knives, pots and pans. These meal kits are
not something you just heat and eat.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 10:51:28 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/23/2017 6:43 AM, wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 02:21:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat 22 Jul 2017 04:45:12p, jmcquown told us...

http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/

>>> It's an interesting concept, but I'm not so sure that I would want
>>> everything they send to make the meal. In my case, and I'm sure in the
>>> case of many other people, there's a situation where one person likes
>>> one thing, another person likes something else, and that only
>>> multiplies with the number people who will be eating. If you're really
>>> a spontaneous cook, you're might not be in the mood for what arrives.
>>>
>>> There are more variables, of course, and that in itself can make it
>>> problamatic.
>>>
>>> All that aside, how good is the food? Not having read or researched
>>> the options, how many companies are now offering this meal in a box?
>>>
>>> We keep a well stocked refrigerator, freezer, and pantry, and I
>>> consider myself a pretty decent cook and have been planning meals for
>>> over 50 years. I don't I need it.

>> I can see situations where it would be useful - there's a woman down
>> the hall from me who fell, smashed her arm and broke her hip. She is
>> home finally after time in rehab, this would solve a few problems for
>> her! Back in the day when we were both working, had three kids, I
>> would have enjoyed a break occasionally. Usually the night we picked
>> up the groceries we would swing past KFC but an alternative would have
>> been nice once in awhile.
>>
>> If you are very busy, or are inconvenienced then a delivered meal
>> might be tempting. They have 'Meals to go" in my supermarket but I
>> don't bother, not my sort of taste and expensive, but they sell.
>>

>You do understand they simply deliver the *ingredients* to you, right?
>Raw. Comes with a recipe. You still have to do all the prep work and
>the actual cooking. Using knives, pots and pans. These meal kits are
>not something you just heat and eat.
>
>Jill

I am not an idiot you know! Yes I understand that but it takes much
of the doing out of it, it becomes mindless.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 00:08:11 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 7/22/2017 7:45 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Here's an article which states they aren't all that. And no, they won't
>> make you and your children have a better time together.
>>
>> http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/
>>
>> Meanwhile, sorry but I'd rather not. I'm pretty good putting meals
>> together without someone sending ingredients in a box.
>>
>> Jill

>I mentioned before that I tried Hello Fresh. They have a place but a
>real foodies can do equal or better.
>
>Ingredients are good quality
>Quantity is good for two people.
>Prep is not difficult, but it is not a big time saver. Most meals are 30
>minutes or so.
>It does save shopping trips
>You do have packing material and a big ice pack to dispose of
>
>Depending on your lifestyle, it is cheaper and faster than going to a
>restaurant if you are a working couple. Cheaper than a restaurant but
>certainly more than DIY
>
>Some of the offerings are not what you may make as part of your routine.
>One reason I tried it was I found I was getting into a rut making
>similar meals over and over.

Truth is there really aren't all that many different meals, just look
at a decent restaurant's menu that you patronize under entrees... may
be twenty items half of which you'd not eat. It's the
appetizers/sides/desserts that offer change ups, and naturally food is
seasonal. Many of the foods I cook aren't on restaurant menus; all
sorts of stews, casserols, meat loaves, and of course a plethora of
homemade soups that are a whole meal in themselves.

>They have a place for working couples, but not so much for a real foodie
>that likes to cook.

I keep a well stocked pantry so I'd not be at all interested in an
over priced box of groceries I'd need to cook... plus I don't want
anyone choosing my fresh meats and produce. I'd call that box of
ingredients Grab Bag Dining. However I do admit to enjoying those old
time baked goods auctions, the PTA sponsors them a few times a year
and I was never disappointed... last time I didn't mind bidding $20 on
a home made peach cobbler, was excellent and I considered the price a
donation to a good cause. The money helped buy supplies for the local
school's fiber arts club. My wife has been teaching the kids knitting
but they need yarn, needles, buttons, and various supplies. Other
people volunteer to teach dyeing and spinning. Many of the kids here
raise their own animals for shearing but they don't know how to knit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2017 10:37 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/23/2017 9:34 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 7/23/2017 6:59 AM, Gary wrote:

>>> I love to cook but not so much after a long day at work then
>>> still chores at home to do.
>>>

>> Stouffer's makes some tasty frozen entrees The thing about these
>> dinner kits is you still have to do all the work: chop and cook the
>> veggies and the meat, add seasonings. The only real convenience is
>> someone put the *ingredients* in a box and sent it to you.
>>
>> Jill

> Right, no shopping, no thinking.
>
> Part of it is psychological. If I have to prep, I'm really cooking,
> therefore I'm a great housewife and mother. I'm superior to people just
> nuking a TV dinner.

That's exactly the way they portray it in the ads, Ed. Look! I'm
chopping vegetables! The kids can help! We're cooking! I guess they
don't know they really could have done the same thing without it being
delivered.

> When cake mixes first hit the grocery stores they did not sell well. The
> company reconfigured so you had to add an egg with the milk and they
> became acceptable since now you were really baking.

I'll have to take your word for that. My mother rarely baked cakes but
I'm 99% sure when she did she used a mix.

I've made cakes from scratch a couple of times (spice cake with maple
frosting comes to mind). Not recently, though. I'm not that interested
in cake. Or these meal kits.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>>> On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 02:21:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/

>>> I can see situations where it would be useful - there's a woman down
>>> the hall from me who fell, smashed her arm and broke her hip. She is
>>> home finally after time in rehab, this would solve a few problems for
>>> her! Back in the day when we were both working, had three kids, I
>>> would have enjoyed a break occasionally. Usually the night we picked
>>> up the groceries we would swing past KFC but an alternative would have
>>> been nice once in awhile.
>>>
>>> If you are very busy, or are inconvenienced then a delivered meal
>>> might be tempting. They have 'Meals to go" in my supermarket but I
>>> don't bother, not my sort of taste and expensive, but they sell.
>>>

>> You do understand they simply deliver the *ingredients* to you, right?
>> Raw. Comes with a recipe. You still have to do all the prep work and
>> the actual cooking. Using knives, pots and pans. These meal kits are
>> not something you just heat and eat.
>>
>> Jill

> I am not an idiot you know!

I never said you were an idiot.

> Yes I understand that but it takes much
> of the doing out of it, it becomes mindless.

I suppose. It alleviates the need to shop, for sure. But someone else
chooses what the meal will be. What if you're not in the mood for
whatever they send?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I suppose. It alleviates the need to shop, for sure. But someone else
> chooses what the meal will be. What if you're not in the mood for
> whatever they send?

That would probably be my problem as each day I decide what I
want to eat hours later. Order those kits and you pretty much
have to eat them right away while fresh. Not for me, thankyou.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 11:10:16 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> I suppose. It alleviates the need to shop, for sure. But someone else
> chooses what the meal will be. What if you're not in the mood for
> whatever they send?
>
> Jill

Here, Kroger now has a service called "Click List." I'm guessing
the customer puts their order in online then they have shoppers
that pull everything off your list. I don't know if you tell
them you will pick it up in two or hours or if it's much later.
Anyway, the special cart goes into their walk-in refrigerator
until you arrive and settle the bill. Hmmmmm, I wonder if they'll
also ring up your coupons, if you have any?

They now also have a designated area for those "Click
List" shoppers to park. The clerk then rolls the special cart
to your vehicle and unloads your groceries.

That's why, last Fall, Kroger had a table in their vestibule
taking applications for extra help. This also squashes that
reason to not use the self-checkout as it will mean someone
will lose their job. This "Click List" program has created
jobs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/

>>> You do understand they simply deliver the *ingredients* to you, right?
>>> Raw. Comes with a recipe. You still have to do all the prep work and
>>> the actual cooking. Using knives, pots and pans. These meal kits are
>>> not something you just heat and eat.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I am not an idiot you know!

>I never said you were an idiot.
>
>> Yes I understand that but it takes much
>> of the doing out of it, it becomes mindless.
>>

>I suppose. It alleviates the need to shop, for sure. But someone else
>chooses what the meal will be. What if you're not in the mood for
>whatever they send?
>
>Jill

Here, you pick what they send, as I understand it anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2017 12:16 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I suppose. It alleviates the need to shop, for sure. But someone else
>> chooses what the meal will be. What if you're not in the mood for
>> whatever they send?

> That would probably be my problem as each day I decide what I
> want to eat hours later. Order those kits and you pretty much
> have to eat them right away while fresh. Not for me, thankyou.

Sometimes I wake up thinking maybe I'll want to cook a specific thing
for dinner... then later change my mind. The delivered box with all the
ingredients pretty much dictates the meal. No thanks.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 10:37:24 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/23/2017 9:34 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> > On 7/23/2017 6:59 AM, Gary wrote:

> >> I love to cook but not so much after a long day at work then
> >> still chores at home to do.
> >>

> > Stouffer's makes some tasty frozen entrees The thing about these
> > dinner kits is you still have to do all the work: chop and cook the
> > veggies and the meat, add seasonings. The only real convenience is
> > someone put the *ingredients* in a box and sent it to you.
> >
> > Jill

> Right, no shopping, no thinking.
>
> Part of it is psychological. If I have to prep, I'm really cooking,
> therefore I'm a great housewife and mother. I'm superior to people just
> nuking a TV dinner.
>
> When cake mixes first hit the grocery stores they did not sell well.
> The company reconfigured so you had to add an egg with the milk and they
> became acceptable since now you were really baking.

It's probably a godsend for people who grew up on McNuggets, would like
to do better for their children, but just were never taught how to
do the work/kids/meals juggling act, nor how to creatively combine
ingredients. Perhaps it'll be a "gateway drug" to real cooking.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 10:37:24 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> > Stouffer's makes some tasty frozen entrees The thing about these
>> > dinner kits is you still have to do all the work: chop and cook the
>> > veggies and the meat, add seasonings. The only real convenience is
>> > someone put the *ingredients* in a box and sent it to you.
>> >
>> > Jill

>> Right, no shopping, no thinking.
>>
>> Part of it is psychological. If I have to prep, I'm really cooking,
>> therefore I'm a great housewife and mother. I'm superior to people just
>> nuking a TV dinner.
>>
>> When cake mixes first hit the grocery stores they did not sell well.
>> The company reconfigured so you had to add an egg with the milk and they
>> became acceptable since now you were really baking.

> It's probably a godsend for people who grew up on McNuggets, would like
> to do better for their children, but just were never taught how to
> do the work/kids/meals juggling act, nor how to creatively combine
> ingredients. Perhaps it'll be a "gateway drug" to real cooking.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Yes, they can learn how to make the McNuggets at home, hopefully the
ingredients are in the kits. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-23 2:23 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 23 Jul 2017 09:05:40a, jmcquown told us...
>
> I guess I'm fortunate that my mother never baked anything from a box
> mix. She typically baked more than once a week, usually pies, cakes,
> and cookies.

My mother was a pretty prolific baker. We rarely had store bought
cookies, cakes or pies. The only store bought cookies we had with any
regularity were Dad's biscuits. Their plant was close to where my mother
had grown up, and they came in a box with cookies wrapped in twos, so
they went neatly into school lunches. I often came home to freshly
baked desserts..... and bread.

> I think the only frozen vegetable she bought was frozen green peas.
> I never saw a frozen dinner in her house, ever.

We didn't have a lot of frozen foods because back in the 1950s the
freezer was a little compartment in the top of the fridge that was big
enough for a couple ice cube trays and a few cans of frozen orange
juice. We did have a few Swanson TV dinners over the years. Teachers
liked kids to bring the used "plates" in for art class. The recycled
dinner plates made decent pallets for painting class.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On 7/23/2017 10:37 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> Right, no shopping, no thinking.

Too true! Choosing yer ingredients is half the fun/battle. I buy a
lotta stuff, online, but not food.

I jes made some beans/ham. Was gonna make 'red beans' w/ grt
northerns (borrowed from neighbor). but burnt the first batch. 2nd
batch, ran outta Creole spice blend so jes added some chicken and
veggie BtB stock and onions, ham, and andouille. Better'n a poke in
the eye with a sharp stick and it'll get me through till my next SSN
chk.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I guess I'm fortunate that my mother never baked anything from a box
> mix. She typically baked more than once a week, usually pies, cakes,
> and cookies.

My mother never baked anything from a box either. She didn't bake
anything from scratch either.

Fortunately, there were a couple of excellent bakeries in walking distance.

I just wish I had watched my grandmother make babka and the crumb
topping on it. Never had one as good in many tries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 11:02:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 10:37:24 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> > Stouffer's makes some tasty frozen entrees The thing about these
>> > dinner kits is you still have to do all the work: chop and cook the
>> > veggies and the meat, add seasonings. The only real convenience is
>> > someone put the *ingredients* in a box and sent it to you.
>> >
>> > Jill

>> Right, no shopping, no thinking.
>>
>> Part of it is psychological. If I have to prep, I'm really cooking,
>> therefore I'm a great housewife and mother. I'm superior to people just
>> nuking a TV dinner.
>>
>> When cake mixes first hit the grocery stores they did not sell well.
>> The company reconfigured so you had to add an egg with the milk and they
>> became acceptable since now you were really baking.

>It's probably a godsend for people who grew up on McNuggets, would like
>to do better for their children, but just were never taught how to
>do the work/kids/meals juggling act, nor how to creatively combine
>ingredients. Perhaps it'll be a "gateway drug" to real cooking.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

That's always possible -
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 18:23:38 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>I guess I'm fortunate that my mother never baked anything from a box
>mix. She typically baked more than once a week, usually pies, cakes,
>and cookies.
>
>I think the only frozen vegetable she bought was frozen green peas.
>I never saw a frozen dinner in her house, ever.

I'm thinking of my grandmother just now, and how she coped My
younger daughter and SIL are calling past for dinner, originally
around 5. I put the chicken in the oven, started the Golden Syrup Pud
going for my SIL and was par boiling the spuds when look, no power,
not anywhere in the unit. Called the super who called our
electrician who said he would show up 'in an hour' so warned my
daughter there was an unavoidable delay.

Power is back on and cooking now, it was as I thought, nothing to do
with my power board but a bigger, better one up on the 8th floor So
we will eat, just not as planned, just like some of my grandmothers
war time meals
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 7/22/2017 6:45 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> > Here's an article which states they aren't all that. And no, they
> > won't make you and your children have a better time together.
> >
> > http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/
> >
> > Meanwhile, sorry but I'd rather not. I'm pretty good putting meals
> > together without someone sending ingredients in a box.
> >
> > Jill

> Me too ! And that stuff can't possibly compete with home grown fruits
> and veggies . It may be as fresh as off the shelf grocery store fare
> , but from the article it's $8 -$12 per serving . Our dinner tonight
> might have cost us 3 bucks total , and we have leftovers . For sure
> the locally-grown taters , okra , and tomatoes we had were fresher ...
>
> --
>
> Snag

Exactly Terry, they try to tout it as cheaper than home cooking but
they jack the price way up and it's pretty pitiful at 8$ or more a
serving for a single meal. I can eat out for less than that at many
places.

If someone here can't make a healthy meal for 3$ per person, they
probably need to learn cooking/shopping skills. Fancy meals with steak
shouldn't run over 5$ each.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat 22 Jul 2017 08:15:06p, jmcquown told us...
>
> > On 7/22/2017 10:21 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> On Sat 22 Jul 2017 04:45:12p, jmcquown told us...

> >> It's an interesting concept, but I'm not so sure that I would
> >> want everything they send to make the meal. In my case, and I'm
> >> sure in the case of many other people, there's a situation where
> >> one person likes one thing, another person likes something else,
> >> and that only multiplies with the number people who will be
> >> eating. If you're really a spontaneous cook, you're might not be
> >> in the mood for what arrives.
> > >

> > True, someone else is deciding what you should cook that night.
> > Too bad if you're not in the mood for it, here's your dinner kit!
> >
> >> All that aside, how good is the food? Not having read or
> >> researched the options, how many companies are now offering this
> >> meal in a box?
> > >

> > I have no idea about how good or how fresh the food is.
> >
> > The brands I see ads for are Hello Fresh, Blue Apron, Martha
> > Stewart. Looking online, Amazon has hopped on the meal kit
> > bandwagon. Know what makes me even more leery? They all offer
> > either $30 off or 50% off your first order. That right there
> > tells me whatever they're sending to make one meal is waaay
> > overpriced.
> >
> >> We keep a well stocked refrigerator, freezer, and pantry, and I
> >> consider myself a pretty decent cook and have been planning meals
> >> for over 50 years. I don't I need it.
> > >

> > Ditto the well stocked freezer & pantry. This concept is simply
> > not for me.
> >
> > Jill
> >

> Guessing at what the boxed meal probably costs, I think one would be
> paying a good deal for convenience if nothing else.
>
> No on all acounts is it for me either.

Probably doesn't work for any of us here. It's something for the
millenial crowd who are clueless on cooking. (Not all millenials are
clueless on that but they tend to a larger portion).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 02:21:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
> > On Sat 22 Jul 2017 04:45:12p, jmcquown told us...
> >
> >> Here's an article which states they aren't all that. And no, they
> >> won't make you and your children have a better time together.

http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/

> >> Meanwhile, sorry but I'd rather not. I'm pretty good putting
> >> meals together without someone sending ingredients in a box.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > It's an interesting concept, but I'm not so sure that I would want
> > everything they send to make the meal. In my case, and I'm sure in
> > the case of many other people, there's a situation where one person
> > likes one thing, another person likes something else, and that only
> > multiplies with the number people who will be eating. If you're
> > really a spontaneous cook, you're might not be in the mood for what
> > arrives.
> >
> > There are more variables, of course, and that in itself can make it
> > problamatic.
> >
> > All that aside, how good is the food? Not having read or
> > researched the options, how many companies are now offering this
> > meal in a box?
> >
> > We keep a well stocked refrigerator, freezer, and pantry, and I
> > consider myself a pretty decent cook and have been planning meals
> > for over 50 years. I don't I need it.

> I can see situations where it would be useful - there's a woman down
> the hall from me who fell, smashed her arm and broke her hip. She is
> home finally after time in rehab, this would solve a few problems for
> her! Back in the day when we were both working, had three kids, I
> would have enjoyed a break occasionally. Usually the night we picked
> up the groceries we would swing past KFC but an alternative would have
> been nice once in awhile.
>
> If you are very busy, or are inconvenienced then a delivered meal
> might be tempting. They have 'Meals to go" in my supermarket but I
> don't bother, not my sort of taste and expensive, but they sell.

Hi Lucretia,

There may be a mis-link here. The stuff they are talking about is not
a prepared meal, but a box that has the ingredients and you chop them
up and prepare per the recipe. It may for example have 4 baby potatoes
that you chop in 1/2 and roll in the included olive oil (for 5$lb or
more cost for that item). It may have a shrimp dish where the shrimp
works out as 40$lb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> >> On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 02:21:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

> they >>>> won't make you and your children have a better time
> together.

http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/

> in the >>> case of many other people, there's a situation where one
> person likes >>> one thing, another person likes something else, and
> that only >>> multiplies with the number people who will be eating.
> If you're really >>> a spontaneous cook, you're might not be in the
> mood for what arrives.

> it >>> problamatic.

> researched >>> the options, how many companies are now offering this
> meal in a box?

> for >>> over 50 years. I don't I need it.
> > >
> >> I can see situations where it would be useful - there's a woman

> down >> the hall from me who fell, smashed her arm and broke her hip.
> She is >> home finally after time in rehab, this would solve a few
> problems for >> her! Back in the day when we were both working, had
> three kids, I >> would have enjoyed a break occasionally. Usually
> the night we picked >> up the groceries we would swing past KFC but
> an alternative would have >> been nice once in awhile.
> > >
> >> If you are very busy, or are inconvenienced then a delivered meal
> >> might be tempting. They have 'Meals to go" in my supermarket but

> I >> don't bother, not my sort of taste and expensive, but they sell.
> > >

> > You do understand they simply deliver the ingredients to you,
> > right? Raw. Comes with a recipe. You still have to do all the
> > prep work and the actual cooking. Using knives, pots and pans.
> > These meal kits are not something you just heat and eat.
> >
> > Jill

> I am not an idiot you know! Yes I understand that but it takes much
> of the doing out of it, it becomes mindless.

Apologies then for my reply. I'm behind on messages after a power
outage here and didnt know if you knew the product.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news

> You do understand they simply deliver the *ingredients* to you, right?
> Raw. Comes with a recipe. You still have to do all the prep work and the
> actual cooking. Using knives, pots and pans. These meal kits are not
> something you just heat and eat.

One of them is advertised by telling us that it's hard to eat right. But
they will make it easy for us.

It's hard? Really? I guess there are some people out there who can't pass by
the unhealthy things at the grocery store. My friend's niece bought such a
service for that very reason. Not sure how impressed she was by it as I
never heard anything back. She has a kid too and most of what I've seen from
those places is not necessarily kid friendly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 7/23/2017 12:16 PM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> I suppose. It alleviates the need to shop, for sure. But someone else
>>> chooses what the meal will be. What if you're not in the mood for
>>> whatever they send?

>> That would probably be my problem as each day I decide what I
>> want to eat hours later. Order those kits and you pretty much
>> have to eat them right away while fresh. Not for me, thankyou.
>>

> Sometimes I wake up thinking maybe I'll want to cook a specific thing for
> dinner... then later change my mind. The delivered box with all the
> ingredients pretty much dictates the meal. No thanks.

One of them even boasts that they never repeat the same meal in a year. This
was a major complaint for some people. They'd really like the meal but never
get it again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.45...
> On Sun 23 Jul 2017 06:34:47a, jmcquown told us...

>>> While I'm still working, a good frozen dinner is fine for me on
>>> busy days. If I run out of home-cooked-and-frozen meals, I have
>>> no problem buying some of the commercial frozen dinners. I always
>>> keep a few favorites on hand. They have vastly improved since the
>>> 1960's Swanson frozen turkey dinners. I don't turn my nose up at
>>> anything.
>>>
>>> I love to cook but not so much after a long day at work then
>>> still chores at home to do.
>>>

>> Stouffer's makes some tasty frozen entrees The thing about
>> these dinner kits is you still have to do all the work: chop and
>> cook the veggies and the meat, add seasonings. The only real
>> convenience is someone put the *ingredients* in a box and sent it
>> to you.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> The only Stouffer's dinner that I really like is their stuffed
> peppers, and I think they're as good as what I make at home. The
> only other thing I really like is Marie Callender's pot pies (the
> larger size).

I tried those recently. The peppers were too overcooked for me. Maybe it's
just what I'm used to. My mom always made hers with raw peppers and I do the
same.

Once in a while I buy frozen taquitos or a Mexican meal. The Mexican meals
aren't so easy to find and aren't always cheap. I also buy a few OnCor
meats. Not because they're good. But because they're cheap. We don't eat
those often. Perhaps once a month if that.

> The only frozen vegetables I keep on hand are peas and corn and
> occasionally spinach. Everything else I buy fresh. Can't stand
> other frozen vegetables, so if I really want them I buy fresh on a
> weekly basis.

I did buy frozen peas when I made chicken and noodles. But I don't like to
eat frozen vegetables as is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 7/23/2017 2:23 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I guess I'm fortunate that my mother never baked anything from a box
>> mix. She typically baked more than once a week, usually pies, cakes,
>> and cookies.
>>

> My mother never baked anything from a box either. She didn't bake
> anything from scratch either.
>
> Fortunately, there were a couple of excellent bakeries in walking
> distance.
>
> I just wish I had watched my grandmother make babka and the crumb topping
> on it. Never had one as good in many tries.

My mom baked cookies all the time when I was little. She turned that duty
over to me when I was about 8. But she and my dad were perpetual dieters so
we didn't have the home baked ones all the time. The store bought ones
lasted much longer because we didn't like them very much so weren't tempted
to eat them. She also made biscuits, quick breads, prune cakes and fruit
crisps.

But mostly she loved things in packets. I could never figure that one out.
Dehydrated soup mixes, pasta sauces, taco seasoning, etc. None of these
things are hard to make from scratch. And scratch is so much better!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Terry Coombs wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On 7/22/2017 6:45 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> > Here's an article which states they aren't all that. And no, they
>> > won't make you and your children have a better time together.
>> >
>> > http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/
>> >
>> > Meanwhile, sorry but I'd rather not. I'm pretty good putting meals
>> > together without someone sending ingredients in a box.
>> >
>> > Jill

>> Me too ! And that stuff can't possibly compete with home grown fruits
>> and veggies . It may be as fresh as off the shelf grocery store fare
>> , but from the article it's $8 -$12 per serving . Our dinner tonight
>> might have cost us 3 bucks total , and we have leftovers . For sure
>> the locally-grown taters , okra , and tomatoes we had were fresher ...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Snag

> Exactly Terry, they try to tout it as cheaper than home cooking but
> they jack the price way up and it's pretty pitiful at 8$ or more a
> serving for a single meal. I can eat out for less than that at many
> places.
>
> If someone here can't make a healthy meal for 3$ per person, they
> probably need to learn cooking/shopping skills. Fancy meals with steak
> shouldn't run over 5$ each.

Where do you get good steak that's that cheap? Most of my meals are based on
cheap food but the other two that live here do love a good streak. 4 good
steaks from Central Market run about $40. And my husband can easily eat two
steaks in one meal. Even the lesser quality steaks that I bought the other
day from the same store were about $5.99 per package. Two small steaks in
each package. He ate one package himself but I knew it wouldn't be enough
for him so I padded the meal out with soup, salad, fruit and potatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2017 4:10 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On 7/22/2017 6:45 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> Here's an article which states they aren't all that. And no, they
>>> won't make you and your children have a better time together.
>>>
>>> http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/
>>>
>>> Meanwhile, sorry but I'd rather not. I'm pretty good putting meals
>>> together without someone sending ingredients in a box.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Me too ! And that stuff can't possibly compete with home grown fruits
>> and veggies . It may be as fresh as off the shelf grocery store fare
>> , but from the article it's $8 -$12 per serving . Our dinner tonight
>> might have cost us 3 bucks total , and we have leftovers . For sure
>> the locally-grown taters , okra , and tomatoes we had were fresher ...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Snag

> Exactly Terry, they try to tout it as cheaper than home cooking but
> they jack the price way up and it's pretty pitiful at 8$ or more a
> serving for a single meal. I can eat out for less than that at many
> places.
>
> If someone here can't make a healthy meal for 3$ per person, they
> probably need to learn cooking/shopping skills. Fancy meals with steak
> shouldn't run over 5$ each.

I've got some ribeye steaks out in the freezer that cost me 4 bucks a
pound ... We catch a local store's semi-annual gigantic meat sales . And
they don't adulterate their meat with "solutions" (except prepackaged
chicken , oh well). I usually buy pork loin strips , some kind of beef
steak/roasts , chicken breasts etc , all in quantity . It gets
repackaged in portions for two and frozen .

--

Snag

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Terry Coombs wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> meals >>> together without someone sending ingredients in a box.

> > > Me too ! And that stuff can't possibly compete with home grown
> > > fruits and veggies . It may be as fresh as off the shelf grocery
> > > store fare , but from the article it's $8 -$12 per serving . Our
> > > dinner tonight might have cost us 3 bucks total , and we have
> > > leftovers . For sure the locally-grown taters , okra , and
> > > tomatoes we had were fresher ...
> > >
> >> --
> > >
> >> Snag

> > Exactly Terry, they try to tout it as cheaper than home cooking but
> > they jack the price way up and it's pretty pitiful at 8$ or more a
> > serving for a single meal. I can eat out for less than that at many
> > places.
> >
> > If someone here can't make a healthy meal for 3$ per person, they
> > probably need to learn cooking/shopping skills. Fancy meals with
> > steak shouldn't run over 5$ each.

> Where do you get good steak that's that cheap? Most of my meals are
> based on cheap food but the other two that live here do love a good
> streak. 4 good steaks from Central Market run about $40. And my
> husband can easily eat two steaks in one meal. Even the lesser
> quality steaks that I bought the other day from the same store were
> about $5.99 per package. Two small steaks in each package. He ate one
> package himself but I knew it wouldn't be enough for him so I padded
> the meal out with soup, salad, fruit and potatoes.

It's called portion control Julie, something your family may not use.

Even bone in, a large serving is 1/2lb (8oz each) and that's 1/2 a
9.99lb cut of better steak. Those boxes won't have larger servings than
that and are apt to be less than 8oz each by far.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-23 6:22 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> It's called portion control Julie, something your family may not use.
>
> Even bone in, a large serving is 1/2lb (8oz each) and that's 1/2 a
> 9.99lb cut of better steak. Those boxes won't have larger servings than
> that and are apt to be less than 8oz each by far.

There is a big difference between recommended serving sizes and what
many people expect. Our meat bill is a lot lower when I shop than when
my wife does, because she eats a lot more meat than I do and serves me
more than I would serve myself. I would be happy with half a NY strip,
but she thinks one each is appropriate. I always find it interesting
that she she gets on my case about some things I am not supposed to eat
because of my coronary issue, but them continues to serve me at least
twice as much fish as I should eat.