Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Beef Stew with a slight twist

This came out pretty good.

Apologies for being an eye-ball measure cook but the below should be
pretty close.

1lb stew beef, cut to about 1/2 inch cubes
28oz can diced tomatoes (with juice)
4oz can mushrooms (with juice), fresh would be fine but I had cammed
4 small carrots (about 1.5 cups small chopped)
2 large potatoes (about 1.5 cups cubed)
1/2 medium onion (1/2 cup, more would be fine)
1/2 ts bourbon smoked black pepper
1/2 ts roasted granulated garlic
1/4 ts chipotle and ground black pepper (use less for some tastes)
2 beef bullion cubes (a salt free mexican version)
1 cup water

This was very flavorful and develops even better with longer cooking or
fridge then reheat. If you do not like very spicy, consider starting
with 1/8ts of the chipotle pepper blend as you can always add more
later. The use of canned mushrooms is just right for us, but fresh
would also work. I happened to only have canned on hand at the time so
used that.

There is an alternative version of this. Add a can of corn and measure
the liquid as part of the water. I prefer the simplicity without the
corn but the classic version of this uses either canned, fresh scraped,
or frozen corn (about 1 cup).

The tomato can should be diced or stewed and broken up. Sauce will not
work here.

Smile, not many recipes posted here but I keep them rolling at times!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> This came out pretty good.
>
> Apologies for being an eye-ball measure cook but the below should be
> pretty close.
>
> 1lb stew beef, cut to about 1/2 inch cubes
> 28oz can diced tomatoes (with juice)
> 4oz can mushrooms (with juice), fresh would be fine but I had cammed
> 4 small carrots (about 1.5 cups small chopped)
> 2 large potatoes (about 1.5 cups cubed)
> 1/2 medium onion (1/2 cup, more would be fine)
> 1/2 ts bourbon smoked black pepper
> 1/2 ts roasted granulated garlic
> 1/4 ts chipotle and ground black pepper (use less for some tastes)
> 2 beef bullion cubes (a salt free mexican version)
> 1 cup water
>
> This was very flavorful and develops even better with longer cooking
> or fridge then reheat. If you do not like very spicy, consider
> starting with 1/8ts of the chipotle pepper blend as you can always
> add more later. The use of canned mushrooms is just right for us,
> but fresh would also work. I happened to only have canned on hand at
> the time so used that.
>
> There is an alternative version of this. Add a can of corn and
> measure the liquid as part of the water. I prefer the simplicity
> without the corn but the classic version of this uses either canned,
> fresh scraped, or frozen corn (about 1 cup).
>
> The tomato can should be diced or stewed and broken up. Sauce will
> not work here.
>
> Smile, not many recipes posted here but I keep them rolling at times!

Forgot to add the bead that matches well here.

It's based off a French but is not classic French bread

1 1/3c water
4c bread flour (All purpose works pretty well with this one too)
1 egg
1 ts salt
2 ts yeast

Set to dough mode then when done, put in Pullman pan and let rise 1
hour. Bake at 400F for 18 minutes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2018 5:20 PM, cshenk wrote:
> This came out pretty good.
>
> Apologies for being an eye-ball measure cook but the below should be
> pretty close.
>
> 1lb stew beef, cut to about 1/2 inch cubes
> 28oz can diced tomatoes (with juice)
> 4oz can mushrooms (with juice), fresh would be fine but I had cammed
> 4 small carrots (about 1.5 cups small chopped)
> 2 large potatoes (about 1.5 cups cubed)
> 1/2 medium onion (1/2 cup, more would be fine)
> 1/2 ts bourbon smoked black pepper
> 1/2 ts roasted granulated garlic
> 1/4 ts chipotle and ground black pepper (use less for some tastes)
> 2 beef bullion cubes (a salt free mexican version)
> 1 cup water
>
> This was very flavorful and develops even better with longer cooking or
> fridge then reheat. If you do not like very spicy, consider starting
> with 1/8ts of the chipotle pepper blend as you can always add more
> later. The use of canned mushrooms is just right for us, but fresh
> would also work. I happened to only have canned on hand at the time so
> used that.
>
> There is an alternative version of this. Add a can of corn and measure
> the liquid as part of the water. I prefer the simplicity without the
> corn but the classic version of this uses either canned, fresh scraped,
> or frozen corn (about 1 cup).
>
> The tomato can should be diced or stewed and broken up. Sauce will not
> work here.
>
> Smile, not many recipes posted here but I keep them rolling at times!

Â* That's very close to the soup I made for dinner last night ! Not so
much pepper , I added a sliced/chopped stalk of celery and used some
canned broth to supplement the pot liquor from the CI skillet I browned
the meat , onions , and celery in . And a quart of home canned whole
'maters . And some barley ... simmered it all for about 3 hours , and it
was well worth the effort . She liked it ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 5:23:49 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote

> This came out pretty good.
>
> Smile, not many recipes posted here but I keep them rolling at times!

I'll take a bowl, please.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> This came out pretty good.
>
> Apologies for being an eye-ball measure cook but the below should be
> pretty close.
>
> 1lb stew beef, cut to about 1/2 inch cubes
> 28oz can diced tomatoes (with juice)
> 4oz can mushrooms (with juice), fresh would be fine but I had cammed
> 4 small carrots (about 1.5 cups small chopped)
> 2 large potatoes (about 1.5 cups cubed)
> 1/2 medium onion (1/2 cup, more would be fine)
> 1/2 ts bourbon smoked black pepper
> 1/2 ts roasted granulated garlic
> 1/4 ts chipotle and ground black pepper (use less for some tastes)
> 2 beef bullion cubes (a salt free mexican version)
> 1 cup water
>
> This was very flavorful and develops even better with longer cooking or
> fridge then reheat. If you do not like very spicy, consider starting
> with 1/8ts of the chipotle pepper blend as you can always add more
> later. The use of canned mushrooms is just right for us, but fresh
> would also work. I happened to only have canned on hand at the time so
> used that.
>
> There is an alternative version of this. Add a can of corn and measure
> the liquid as part of the water. I prefer the simplicity without the
> corn but the classic version of this uses either canned, fresh scraped,
> or frozen corn (about 1 cup).
>
> The tomato can should be diced or stewed and broken up. Sauce will not
> work here.
>
> Smile, not many recipes posted here but I keep them rolling at times!

Why will sauce not work here? I sometimes put tomato sauce in my stew.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:

> On 9/23/2018 5:20 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > This came out pretty good.
> >
> > Apologies for being an eye-ball measure cook but the below should be
> > pretty close.
> >
> > 1lb stew beef, cut to about 1/2 inch cubes
> > 28oz can diced tomatoes (with juice)
> > 4oz can mushrooms (with juice), fresh would be fine but I had cammed
> > 4 small carrots (about 1.5 cups small chopped)
> > 2 large potatoes (about 1.5 cups cubed)
> > 1/2 medium onion (1/2 cup, more would be fine)
> > 1/2 ts bourbon smoked black pepper
> > 1/2 ts roasted granulated garlic
> > 1/4 ts chipotle and ground black pepper (use less for some tastes)
> > 2 beef bullion cubes (a salt free mexican version)
> > 1 cup water
> >
> > This was very flavorful and develops even better with longer
> > cooking or fridge then reheat. If you do not like very spicy,
> > consider starting with 1/8ts of the chipotle pepper blend as you
> > can always add more later. The use of canned mushrooms is just
> > right for us, but fresh would also work. I happened to only have
> > canned on hand at the time so used that.
> >
> > There is an alternative version of this. Add a can of corn and
> > measure the liquid as part of the water. I prefer the simplicity
> > without the corn but the classic version of this uses either
> > canned, fresh scraped, or frozen corn (about 1 cup).
> >
> > The tomato can should be diced or stewed and broken up. Sauce will
> > not work here.
> >
> > Smile, not many recipes posted here but I keep them rolling at
> > times!

> Â* That's very close to the soup I made for dinner last night ! Not so
> much pepper , I added a sliced/chopped stalk of celery and used some
> canned broth to supplement the pot liquor from the CI skillet I
> browned the meat , onions , and celery in . And a quart of home
> canned whole 'maters . And some barley ... simmered it all for about
> 3 hours , and it was well worth the effort . She liked it ...

Smile, soups and stews can be pretty close and i can see this one as a
soup easily!

I read an article long ago that attempted to explain the thicker soups
that are a stew in the USA/North America. I do not know if it it true,
but it rang a bell as likely.

Many of the first immigrees here didnt live that close. The man would
be out and the wife as well. They cooked in big pots over the
fireplace and while a lid helped, it boiled down a fair amount. They
developed a cookery around the fact that it would be untended for 6
hours or more on a slow fire.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > This came out pretty good.
> >
> > Apologies for being an eye-ball measure cook but the below should be
> > pretty close.
> >
> > 1lb stew beef, cut to about 1/2 inch cubes
> > 28oz can diced tomatoes (with juice)
> > 4oz can mushrooms (with juice), fresh would be fine but I had cammed
> > 4 small carrots (about 1.5 cups small chopped)
> > 2 large potatoes (about 1.5 cups cubed)
> > 1/2 medium onion (1/2 cup, more would be fine)
> > 1/2 ts bourbon smoked black pepper
> > 1/2 ts roasted granulated garlic
> > 1/4 ts chipotle and ground black pepper (use less for some tastes)
> > 2 beef bullion cubes (a salt free mexican version)
> > 1 cup water
> >
> > This was very flavorful and develops even better with longer
> > cooking or fridge then reheat. If you do not like very spicy,
> > consider starting with 1/8ts of the chipotle pepper blend as you
> > can always add more later. The use of canned mushrooms is just
> > right for us, but fresh would also work. I happened to only have
> > canned on hand at the time so used that.
> >
> > There is an alternative version of this. Add a can of corn and
> > measure the liquid as part of the water. I prefer the simplicity
> > without the corn but the classic version of this uses either
> > canned, fresh scraped, or frozen corn (about 1 cup).
> >
> > The tomato can should be diced or stewed and broken up. Sauce will
> > not work here.
> >
> > Smile, not many recipes posted here but I keep them rolling at
> > times!

> Why will sauce not work here? I sometimes put tomato sauce in my stew.

Wrong thing for this stew. The bts of tomatoes are essential. This
aint spagetti sauce!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 17:59:02 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"cshenk" > wrote in message
>> This came out pretty good.
>>
>> Apologies for being an eye-ball measure cook but the below should be
>> pretty close.
>>
>> 1lb stew beef, cut to about 1/2 inch cubes
>> 28oz can diced tomatoes (with juice)
>> 4oz can mushrooms (with juice), fresh would be fine but I had cammed
>> 4 small carrots (about 1.5 cups small chopped)
>> 2 large potatoes (about 1.5 cups cubed)
>> 1/2 medium onion (1/2 cup, more would be fine)
>> 1/2 ts bourbon smoked black pepper
>> 1/2 ts roasted granulated garlic
>> 1/4 ts chipotle and ground black pepper (use less for some tastes)
>> 2 beef bullion cubes (a salt free mexican version)
>> 1 cup water
>>
>> This was very flavorful and develops even better with longer cooking or
>> fridge then reheat. If you do not like very spicy, consider starting
>> with 1/8ts of the chipotle pepper blend as you can always add more
>> later. The use of canned mushrooms is just right for us, but fresh
>> would also work. I happened to only have canned on hand at the time so
>> used that.
>>
>> There is an alternative version of this. Add a can of corn and measure
>> the liquid as part of the water. I prefer the simplicity without the
>> corn but the classic version of this uses either canned, fresh scraped,
>> or frozen corn (about 1 cup).
>>
>> The tomato can should be diced or stewed and broken up. Sauce will not
>> work here.
>>
>> Smile, not many recipes posted here but I keep them rolling at times!

>Why will sauce not work here? I sometimes put tomato sauce in my stew.

There's not nearly enough meat to call that beef stew.
I've never in my life cooked a beef stew with less than 3-4 pounds of
beef. No one who knows how to cook prepares ANY stew for just one
meal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 17:59:02 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>>> This came out pretty good.
>>>
>>> Apologies for being an eye-ball measure cook but the below should be
>>> pretty close.
>>>
>>> 1lb stew beef, cut to about 1/2 inch cubes
>>> 28oz can diced tomatoes (with juice)
>>> 4oz can mushrooms (with juice), fresh would be fine but I had cammed
>>> 4 small carrots (about 1.5 cups small chopped)
>>> 2 large potatoes (about 1.5 cups cubed)
>>> 1/2 medium onion (1/2 cup, more would be fine)
>>> 1/2 ts bourbon smoked black pepper
>>> 1/2 ts roasted granulated garlic
>>> 1/4 ts chipotle and ground black pepper (use less for some tastes)
>>> 2 beef bullion cubes (a salt free mexican version)
>>> 1 cup water
>>>
>>> This was very flavorful and develops even better with longer cooking or
>>> fridge then reheat. If you do not like very spicy, consider starting
>>> with 1/8ts of the chipotle pepper blend as you can always add more
>>> later. The use of canned mushrooms is just right for us, but fresh
>>> would also work. I happened to only have canned on hand at the time so
>>> used that.
>>>
>>> There is an alternative version of this. Add a can of corn and measure
>>> the liquid as part of the water. I prefer the simplicity without the
>>> corn but the classic version of this uses either canned, fresh scraped,
>>> or frozen corn (about 1 cup).
>>>
>>> The tomato can should be diced or stewed and broken up. Sauce will not
>>> work here.
>>>
>>> Smile, not many recipes posted here but I keep them rolling at times!

>> Why will sauce not work here? I sometimes put tomato sauce in my stew.

> There's not nearly enough meat to call that beef stew.
> I've never in my life cooked a beef stew with less than 3-4 pounds of
> beef.

And that's just for a single serving. Takes a whole side of beef to make
real beef stew, Popeye style.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:

> On 9/23/2018 5:20 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > This came out pretty good.
> >
> > Apologies for being an eye-ball measure cook but the below should be
> > pretty close.
> >
> > 1lb stew beef, cut to about 1/2 inch cubes
> > 28oz can diced tomatoes (with juice)
> > 4oz can mushrooms (with juice), fresh would be fine but I had cammed
> > 4 small carrots (about 1.5 cups small chopped)
> > 2 large potatoes (about 1.5 cups cubed)
> > 1/2 medium onion (1/2 cup, more would be fine)
> > 1/2 ts bourbon smoked black pepper
> > 1/2 ts roasted granulated garlic
> > 1/4 ts chipotle and ground black pepper (use less for some tastes)
> > 2 beef bullion cubes (a salt free mexican version)
> > 1 cup water
> >
> > This was very flavorful and develops even better with longer
> > cooking or fridge then reheat. If you do not like very spicy,
> > consider starting with 1/8ts of the chipotle pepper blend as you
> > can always add more later. The use of canned mushrooms is just
> > right for us, but fresh would also work. I happened to only have
> > canned on hand at the time so used that.
> >
> > There is an alternative version of this. Add a can of corn and
> > measure the liquid as part of the water. I prefer the simplicity
> > without the corn but the classic version of this uses either
> > canned, fresh scraped, or frozen corn (about 1 cup).
> >
> > The tomato can should be diced or stewed and broken up. Sauce will
> > not work here.
> >
> > Smile, not many recipes posted here but I keep them rolling at
> > times!

> Â* That's very close to the soup I made for dinner last night ! Not so
> much pepper , I added a sliced/chopped stalk of celery and used some
> canned broth to supplement the pot liquor from the CI skillet I
> browned the meat , onions , and celery in . And a quart of home
> canned whole 'maters . And some barley ... simmered it all for about
> 3 hours , and it was well worth the effort . She liked it ...

I like too!

Yes, it seems close kissin' cousins to this doesn't it! I do leave out
the celery, merely because I'm not a major fan of it.

The bourbon smoked black pepper is part of what really makes the dish
for me. Unique and not like regular black pepper. A cup of it will
set you back about 15$ at Savory Spice Shop but that will last a long
time.

I had more for lunch today and the blending of the flavors hit my
perfect peak. Barley would have matched nicely!

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2018 5:05 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:
>
>> On 9/23/2018 5:20 PM, cshenk wrote:
>>> This came out pretty good.
>>>
>>> Apologies for being an eye-ball measure cook but the below should be
>>> pretty close.
>>>
>>> 1lb stew beef, cut to about 1/2 inch cubes
>>> 28oz can diced tomatoes (with juice)
>>> 4oz can mushrooms (with juice), fresh would be fine but I had cammed
>>> 4 small carrots (about 1.5 cups small chopped)
>>> 2 large potatoes (about 1.5 cups cubed)
>>> 1/2 medium onion (1/2 cup, more would be fine)
>>> 1/2 ts bourbon smoked black pepper
>>> 1/2 ts roasted granulated garlic
>>> 1/4 ts chipotle and ground black pepper (use less for some tastes)
>>> 2 beef bullion cubes (a salt free mexican version)
>>> 1 cup water
>>>
>>> This was very flavorful and develops even better with longer
>>> cooking or fridge then reheat. If you do not like very spicy,
>>> consider starting with 1/8ts of the chipotle pepper blend as you
>>> can always add more later. The use of canned mushrooms is just
>>> right for us, but fresh would also work. I happened to only have
>>> canned on hand at the time so used that.
>>>
>>> There is an alternative version of this. Add a can of corn and
>>> measure the liquid as part of the water. I prefer the simplicity
>>> without the corn but the classic version of this uses either
>>> canned, fresh scraped, or frozen corn (about 1 cup).
>>>
>>> The tomato can should be diced or stewed and broken up. Sauce will
>>> not work here.
>>>
>>> Smile, not many recipes posted here but I keep them rolling at
>>> times!

>> Â* That's very close to the soup I made for dinner last night ! Not so
>> much pepper , I added a sliced/chopped stalk of celery and used some
>> canned broth to supplement the pot liquor from the CI skillet I
>> browned the meat , onions , and celery in . And a quart of home
>> canned whole 'maters . And some barley ... simmered it all for about
>> 3 hours , and it was well worth the effort . She liked it ...

> I like too!
>
> Yes, it seems close kissin' cousins to this doesn't it! I do leave out
> the celery, merely because I'm not a major fan of it.
>
> The bourbon smoked black pepper is part of what really makes the dish
> for me. Unique and not like regular black pepper. A cup of it will
> set you back about 15$ at Savory Spice Shop but that will last a long
> time.
>
> I had more for lunch today and the blending of the flavors hit my
> perfect peak. Barley would have matched nicely!
>
> Carol

Â*Guess what I (wife's at work) had for dinner ? I had to stop myself
from getting a second big bowl . I had a big thick heel slice of home
made bread with it , slathered with unsalted butter . When I want some
heat in a dish my go-to is usually dried homegrown serrano peppers .
There's a string of them drying just out of arms reach as I type this
.... and enough for a couple more awaiting picking .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> > This came out pretty good.
>> >
>> > Apologies for being an eye-ball measure cook but the below should be
>> > pretty close.
>> >
>> > 1lb stew beef, cut to about 1/2 inch cubes
>> > 28oz can diced tomatoes (with juice)
>> > 4oz can mushrooms (with juice), fresh would be fine but I had cammed
>> > 4 small carrots (about 1.5 cups small chopped)
>> > 2 large potatoes (about 1.5 cups cubed)
>> > 1/2 medium onion (1/2 cup, more would be fine)
>> > 1/2 ts bourbon smoked black pepper
>> > 1/2 ts roasted granulated garlic
>> > 1/4 ts chipotle and ground black pepper (use less for some tastes)
>> > 2 beef bullion cubes (a salt free mexican version)
>> > 1 cup water
>> >
>> > This was very flavorful and develops even better with longer
>> > cooking or fridge then reheat. If you do not like very spicy,
>> > consider starting with 1/8ts of the chipotle pepper blend as you
>> > can always add more later. The use of canned mushrooms is just
>> > right for us, but fresh would also work. I happened to only have
>> > canned on hand at the time so used that.
>> >
>> > There is an alternative version of this. Add a can of corn and
>> > measure the liquid as part of the water. I prefer the simplicity
>> > without the corn but the classic version of this uses either
>> > canned, fresh scraped, or frozen corn (about 1 cup).
>> >
>> > The tomato can should be diced or stewed and broken up. Sauce will
>> > not work here.
>> >
>> > Smile, not many recipes posted here but I keep them rolling at
>> > times!

>> Why will sauce not work here? I sometimes put tomato sauce in my stew.

> Wrong thing for this stew. The bts of tomatoes are essential. This
> aint spagetti sauce!

I assure you it won't come out like spaghetti sauce. I never use a recipe
for stew. I don't always even add tomatoes. But when I do, I'm not picky
about the form of tomatoes that I add. I generally just use whatever I have
the most of or if a can of something then perhaps something that is soon to
expire. My mom always used tomato sauce and water in her beef stew.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 17:59:02 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"cshenk" > wrote in message
>>> This came out pretty good.
>>>
>>> Apologies for being an eye-ball measure cook but the below should be
>>> pretty close.
>>>
>>> 1lb stew beef, cut to about 1/2 inch cubes
>>> 28oz can diced tomatoes (with juice)
>>> 4oz can mushrooms (with juice), fresh would be fine but I had cammed
>>> 4 small carrots (about 1.5 cups small chopped)
>>> 2 large potatoes (about 1.5 cups cubed)
>>> 1/2 medium onion (1/2 cup, more would be fine)
>>> 1/2 ts bourbon smoked black pepper
>>> 1/2 ts roasted granulated garlic
>>> 1/4 ts chipotle and ground black pepper (use less for some tastes)
>>> 2 beef bullion cubes (a salt free mexican version)
>>> 1 cup water
>>>
>>> This was very flavorful and develops even better with longer cooking or
>>> fridge then reheat. If you do not like very spicy, consider starting
>>> with 1/8ts of the chipotle pepper blend as you can always add more
>>> later. The use of canned mushrooms is just right for us, but fresh
>>> would also work. I happened to only have canned on hand at the time so
>>> used that.
>>>
>>> There is an alternative version of this. Add a can of corn and measure
>>> the liquid as part of the water. I prefer the simplicity without the
>>> corn but the classic version of this uses either canned, fresh scraped,
>>> or frozen corn (about 1 cup).
>>>
>>> The tomato can should be diced or stewed and broken up. Sauce will not
>>> work here.
>>>
>>> Smile, not many recipes posted here but I keep them rolling at times!

>>Why will sauce not work here? I sometimes put tomato sauce in my stew.

> There's not nearly enough meat to call that beef stew.
> I've never in my life cooked a beef stew with less than 3-4 pounds of
> beef. No one who knows how to cook prepares ANY stew for just one
> meal.

I actually have made it for one meal but it takes some doing. I've been
trying to have leftovers because they generally don't get eaten. I would
also add at the minimum, celery and green beans. Maybe some peas or lentils
or if I don't use much meat, then I might add some cooked dried beans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 12:25:51 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 17:59:02 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >>Why will sauce not work here? I sometimes put tomato sauce in my stew.

> > There's not nearly enough meat to call that beef stew.
> > I've never in my life cooked a beef stew with less than 3-4 pounds of
> > beef. No one who knows how to cook prepares ANY stew for just one
> > meal.

> I actually have made it for one meal but it takes some doing. I've been
> trying to have leftovers because they generally don't get eaten. I would
> also add at the minimum, celery and green beans. Maybe some peas or lentils
> or if I don't use much meat, then I might add some cooked dried beans.

U are not making stew...you are emptying your left-overs and crap like beans
and such like dross into a melange of yuck.
Your gardener must have a "cast-iron stomach" as he would need one as you
welcome him with your "inventions".

Sorry to be so critical but try and stay with the more conventional ingredients
if you are going to label it "beef stew".

====

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 2:38:24 AM UTC-4, Roy wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 12:25:51 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > > On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 17:59:02 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> > > There's not nearly enough meat to call that beef stew.
> > > I've never in my life cooked a beef stew with less than 3-4 pounds of
> > > beef. No one who knows how to cook prepares ANY stew for just one
> > > meal.

> > I actually have made it for one meal but it takes some doing. I've been
> > trying to have leftovers because they generally don't get eaten. I would
> > also add at the minimum, celery and green beans. Maybe some peas or lentils
> > or if I don't use much meat, then I might add some cooked dried beans.

> U are not making stew...you are emptying your left-overs and crap like beans
> and such like dross into a melange of yuck.
> Your gardener must have a "cast-iron stomach" as he would need one as you
> welcome him with your "inventions".
>
> Sorry to be so critical but try and stay with the more conventional ingredients
> if you are going to label it "beef stew".
>
> ====

Luckily, you don't get to decide for everybody what "beef stew" is. This
is one of my favorites:

<https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/ethiopian-spicy-beef-stew-key-wat-436458>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 03:16:44 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 2:38:24 AM UTC-4, Roy wrote:
>> On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 12:25:51 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

>> > I actually have made it for one meal but it takes some doing. I've been
>> > trying to have leftovers because they generally don't get eaten. I would
>> > also add at the minimum, celery and green beans. Maybe some peas or lentils
>> > or if I don't use much meat, then I might add some cooked dried beans.

>> U are not making stew...you are emptying your left-overs and crap like beans
>> and such like dross into a melange of yuck.
>> Your gardener must have a "cast-iron stomach" as he would need one as you
>> welcome him with your "inventions".
>>
>> Sorry to be so critical but try and stay with the more conventional ingredients
>> if you are going to label it "beef stew".
>>
>> ====

>Luckily, you don't get to decide for everybody what "beef stew" is. This
>is one of my favorites:
>
><https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/ethiopian-spicy-beef-stew-key-wat-436458>

Roy should be taken with a grain of salt. He doesn't even know what
haricots verts are.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 12:25:51 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> > On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 17:59:02 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > There's not nearly enough meat to call that beef stew.
>> > I've never in my life cooked a beef stew with less than 3-4 pounds of
>> > beef. No one who knows how to cook prepares ANY stew for just one
>> > meal.

>> I actually have made it for one meal but it takes some doing. I've been
>> trying to have leftovers because they generally don't get eaten. I would
>> also add at the minimum, celery and green beans. Maybe some peas or
>> lentils
>> or if I don't use much meat, then I might add some cooked dried beans.

> U are not making stew...you are emptying your left-overs and crap like
> beans
> and such like dross into a melange of yuck.
> Your gardener must have a "cast-iron stomach" as he would need one as you
> welcome him with your "inventions".
>
> Sorry to be so critical but try and stay with the more conventional
> ingredients
> if you are going to label it "beef stew".
>
> ====

Definition:

Beef stew - a stew made with beef prepared by stewing with vegetables

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 4:16:47 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > I actually have made it for one meal but it takes some doing. I've been
> > > trying to have leftovers because they generally don't get eaten. I would
> > > also add at the minimum, celery and green beans. Maybe some peas or lentils
> > > or if I don't use much meat, then I might add some cooked dried beans.

> > U are not making stew...you are emptying your left-overs and crap like beans
> > and such like dross into a melange of yuck.
> > Your gardener must have a "cast-iron stomach" as he would need one as you
> > welcome him with your "inventions".
> >
> > Sorry to be so critical but try and stay with the more conventional ingredients
> > if you are going to label it "beef stew".
> >
> > ====

> Luckily, you don't get to decide for everybody what "beef stew" is. This
> is one of my favorites:
>
> <https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/ethiopian-spicy-beef-stew-key-wat-436458>
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Thanks...saved for future endeavor.

====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 4:32:40 AM UTC-6, Druce wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 03:16:44 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> U are not making stew...you are emptying your left-overs and crap like beans
> >> and such like dross into a melange of yuck.
> >> Your gardener must have a "cast-iron stomach" as he would need one as you
> >> welcome him with your "inventions".
> >>
> >> Sorry to be so critical but try and stay with the more conventional ingredients
> >> if you are going to label it "beef stew".
> >>
> >> ====

> >Luckily, you don't get to decide for everybody what "beef stew" is. This
> >is one of my favorites:
> >
> ><https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/ethiopian-spicy-beef-stew-key-wat-436458>

> Roy should be taken with a grain of salt. He doesn't even know what
> haricots verts are.

Don't bet on it my little Tasmanian Devil. Ahahahhaaahhhahahhaha

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-25 6:16 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 2:38:24 AM UTC-4, Roy wrote:
>> Sorry to be so critical but try and stay with the more conventional
>> ingredients if you are going to label it "beef stew".
>>
>> ====

> Luckily, you don't get to decide for everybody what "beef stew" is.
> This is one of my favorites:
>
> <https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/ethiopian-spicy-beef-stew-key-wat-436458>

My wife is the braising queen. She makes incredible beef stews and other
braised dishes. She uses more of a technique than a recipe. She starts
by seasoning the meat with some salt, pepper, savory and Worcestershire
sauce. Then she sautes finely chopped onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms
and garlic. She removes and saves that and then sears the meat in the
hot pan, a little at a time. Then the veggies go back in along with
beef broth and some wine. It goes into an 300 degree oven for a couple
hours, after which is is allowed to cool and then goes into the fridge
overnight. The next night she reheats it and adds some chopped potatoes
and carrots, cooks it for another 1 1/2 hours, adding some frozen peas
for the last 10 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" wrote in message

>Sorry to be so critical but try and stay with the more conventional
>ingredients
>if you are going to label it "beef stew".

Sounds like he needs to go with "compost gruel with protein."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 5:16:47 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 2:38:24 AM UTC-4, Roy wrote:
> >
> > Sorry to be so critical but try and stay with the more conventional ingredients
> > if you are going to label it "beef stew".
> >
> > ====

> Luckily, you don't get to decide for everybody what "beef stew" is. This
> is one of my favorites:
>
> <https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/ethiopian-spicy-beef-stew-key-wat-436458>
>
> Cindy Hamilton

But Ju-Ju is making 'cream of icebox' soup. A bunch of leftovers she is
calling 'beef stew.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 3:55:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 5:16:47 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 2:38:24 AM UTC-4, Roy wrote:
> > >
> > > Sorry to be so critical but try and stay with the more conventional ingredients
> > > if you are going to label it "beef stew".
> > >
> > > ====

> > Luckily, you don't get to decide for everybody what "beef stew" is. This
> > is one of my favorites:
> >
> > <https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/ethiopian-spicy-beef-stew-key-wat-436458>
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> But Ju-Ju is making 'cream of icebox' soup. A bunch of leftovers she is
> calling 'beef stew.'

I doubt she's the first cook to stretch out the meat with beans.
Perhaps not necessary in this time and place, and not my cuppa tea,
but I don't have to eat her cooking.

Her comment about leftovers was a red herring. Typical Julie
stream-of-consciousness.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 3:52:32 PM UTC-4, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 25 Sep 2018 03:16:44a, Cindy Hamilton told us...
>
> > On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 2:38:24 AM UTC-4, Roy wrote:

> >> U are not making stew...you are emptying your left-overs and crap
> >> like beans and such like dross into a melange of yuck.
> >> Your gardener must have a "cast-iron stomach" as he would need
> >> one as you welcome him with your "inventions".
> >>
> >> Sorry to be so critical but try and stay with the more
> >> conventional ingredients if you are going to label it "beef
> >> stew".
> >>
> >> ====

> > Luckily, you don't get to decide for everybody what "beef stew"
> > is. This is one of my favorites:
> >
> > <https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...-beef-stew-key
> > -wat-436458>
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> I see nothing wrong with it, but I would definitely not call this a
> typical beef stew. Luckily, you don't get to decide for everybody
> either.

I wouldn't call it typical, either. By the most basic definition of
beef stew, it is beef stew. Generally I call it by its Ethiopean name.

My garden-variety beef stew is similar to what you'd make. Beef,
onion, carrot, celery, tomatoes, garlic, wine, salt, pepper, bay leaf.
My husband likes his served with noodles, so I don't add potatoes.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 5:16:47 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 2:38:24 AM UTC-4, Roy wrote:
>> >
>> > Sorry to be so critical but try and stay with the more conventional
>> > ingredients
>> > if you are going to label it "beef stew".
>> >
>> > ====

>> Luckily, you don't get to decide for everybody what "beef stew" is. This
>> is one of my favorites:
>>
>> <https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/ethiopian-spicy-beef-stew-key-wat-436458>
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> But Ju-Ju is making 'cream of icebox' soup. A bunch of leftovers she is
> calling 'beef stew.'

No.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 4:57:14 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
> >
> > But Ju-Ju is making 'cream of icebox' soup. A bunch of leftovers she is
> > calling 'beef stew.'

> No.

Yes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2018 4:19 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 3:55:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:

>>> Luckily, you don't get to decide for everybody what "beef stew" is. This
>>> is one of my favorites:
>>>
>>> <https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/ethiopian-spicy-beef-stew-key-wat-436458>
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> But Ju-Ju is making 'cream of icebox' soup. A bunch of leftovers she is
>> calling 'beef stew.'

> I doubt she's the first cook to stretch out the meat with beans.
> Perhaps not necessary in this time and place, and not my cuppa tea,
> but I don't have to eat her cooking.
>
> Her comment about leftovers was a red herring. Typical Julie
> stream-of-consciousness.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I can't speak for others but when I cook something that will net
leftovers (such as a stew) I do it intentionally. That's why I have a
freezer. I very rarely have little dribs and drabs of things in the
refrigerator that I need to use up. I certainly don't find myself
trying to cobble together a bunch of leftover stuff in the fridge to
make a meal. Just add brown rice! LOL

YMMV.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 4:57:14 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>> >
>> > But Ju-Ju is making 'cream of icebox' soup. A bunch of leftovers she
>> > is
>> > calling 'beef stew.'

>> No.
>>

> Yes.

Where did I say that I used leftovers? I didn't. Now if I am making stew or
soup and have some leftover cooked and fairly plain or raw veggies to use
up, I will likely throw those in.

I only pad it out with things like beans if I realize at the last minute
that we have additional diners, or I didn't have much meat to start with.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 9/25/2018 4:19 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 3:55:37 PM UTC-4,
>> wrote:

>>> But Ju-Ju is making 'cream of icebox' soup. A bunch of leftovers she is
>>> calling 'beef stew.'

>> I doubt she's the first cook to stretch out the meat with beans.
>> Perhaps not necessary in this time and place, and not my cuppa tea,
>> but I don't have to eat her cooking.
>>
>> Her comment about leftovers was a red herring. Typical Julie
>> stream-of-consciousness.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> I can't speak for others but when I cook something that will net leftovers
> (such as a stew) I do it intentionally. That's why I have a freezer. I
> very rarely have little dribs and drabs of things in the refrigerator that
> I need to use up. I certainly don't find myself trying to cobble together
> a bunch of leftover stuff in the fridge to make a meal. Just add brown
> rice! LOL
>
> YMMV.

Not that *I* am not the one who said that. I buy a lot of fresh produce. I
often find that I bought one too many Roma tomatoes or some such thing. Or
sometimes the produce comes packaged with more than I need for one meal.
It's quite easy to add this stuff to a soup, stew, casserole, etc. And I get
no complaints about my cooking. Only compliments. The lentils and Kielbasa
and the white bean and kale soup got rave reviews.

I don't like to cook most stuff for the freezer. I do keep seasoned taco
meat for quick salads or tostadas and small amounts of plain chicken, beef
and brown rice in case I make something that Zorro can't eat. He is eating
some dog food now but still likes my cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
15.223...
> On Tue 25 Sep 2018 05:26:34p, jmcquown told us...
>
>> On 9/25/2018 4:19 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I doubt she's the first cook to stretch out the meat with beans.
>>> Perhaps not necessary in this time and place, and not my cuppa
>>> tea, but I don't have to eat her cooking.
>>>
>>> Her comment about leftovers was a red herring. Typical Julie
>>> stream-of-consciousness.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> I can't speak for others but when I cook something that will net
>> leftovers (such as a stew) I do it intentionally. That's why I
>> have a freezer. I very rarely have little dribs and drabs of
>> things in the refrigerator that I need to use up. I certainly
>> don't find myself trying to cobble together a bunch of leftover
>> stuff in the fridge to make a meal. Just add brown rice! LOL
>>
>> YMMV.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I feel the same way. We dn't do leftover bits and pieces of stuff,
> only later to be randomly thrown together to make who knows what to
> call it, :-)

Neither do I. You people sure seem to love playing telephone!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
news

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>> I feel the same way. We dn't do leftover bits and pieces of stuff,
>> only later to be randomly thrown together to make who knows what to
>> call it, :-)

> Neither do I. You people sure seem to love playing telephone!

I will use up bits and pieces of leftover things in the fridge to make soup,
some of the best soup is made that way IMO.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>>> I feel the same way. We dn't do leftover bits and pieces of stuff,
>>> only later to be randomly thrown together to make who knows what to
>>> call it, :-)

>> Neither do I. You people sure seem to love playing telephone!

> I will use up bits and pieces of leftover things in the fridge to make
> soup, some of the best soup is made that way IMO.

I call that Clean Out The Refrigerator soup. However, I rarely ever have
leftovers of anything.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 1:03:45 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> I call that Clean Out The Refrigerator soup. However, I rarely ever have
> leftovers of anything.

You might like Korea's most iconic dish - army stew. Probably not though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuzOYHe3s0Y
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I call that Clean Out The Refrigerator soup. However, I rarely ever have
> leftovers of anything.

Not true. YOu constantly post about "using up things before they
go bad" and combining them all for some meal. I remember because
that never sounds very good to me. I like to make a nice dinner
and not just use up things to make it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 20:34:09 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>news
>>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>>> I feel the same way. We dn't do leftover bits and pieces of stuff,
>>> only later to be randomly thrown together to make who knows what to
>>> call it, :-)

>> Neither do I. You people sure seem to love playing telephone!

>I will use up bits and pieces of leftover things in the fridge to make soup,
>some of the best soup is made that way IMO.
>
>Cheri

Very true, I do that... very often a single packet of ramen ends up as
a four quart pot of exquisite soup... especially this time of year
when gardening is over and I have lots to use up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 04:03:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Cheri" > wrote in message
>news
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Neither do I. You people sure seem to love playing telephone!

>> I will use up bits and pieces of leftover things in the fridge to make
>> soup, some of the best soup is made that way IMO.

>I call that Clean Out The Refrigerator soup. However, I rarely ever have
>leftovers of anything.

My veggie bin always has left overs... right now there's a stalk of
celery with three small ribs, there's one lonely Vidalia onion getting
old, a big basket of romas that can't last much longer, the last two
carrots from a five pound bag, the last dregs of iceberg lettuce,
including its heart, half a red pepper, and half a large cuke..
YesterdayI roasted a four pound top round, could steal a piece, and I
always have heads of garlic, and a ton of herbs n' spices plus canned
goods up the kazoo. I even have five 1 lb packages of bacon in the
freezer that my wife forgot to bring to Lung Guyland. I've got enough
canned beans in the basement to start Popeye's Navy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I call that Clean Out The Refrigerator soup. However, I rarely ever have
>> leftovers of anything.

> Not true. YOu constantly post about "using up things before they
> go bad" and combining them all for some meal. I remember because
> that never sounds very good to me. I like to make a nice dinner
> and not just use up things to make it.

Bull pucky! I do not constantly post that. And I never combine leftovers for
a meal. I don't even usually HAVE leftovers!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 04:03:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Cheri" > wrote in message
>>news
>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>>

>>> I will use up bits and pieces of leftover things in the fridge to make
>>> soup, some of the best soup is made that way IMO.

>>I call that Clean Out The Refrigerator soup. However, I rarely ever have
>>leftovers of anything.

> My veggie bin always has left overs... right now there's a stalk of
> celery with three small ribs, there's one lonely Vidalia onion getting
> old, a big basket of romas that can't last much longer, the last two
> carrots from a five pound bag, the last dregs of iceberg lettuce,
> including its heart, half a red pepper, and half a large cuke..
> YesterdayI roasted a four pound top round, could steal a piece, and I
> always have heads of garlic, and a ton of herbs n' spices plus canned
> goods up the kazoo. I even have five 1 lb packages of bacon in the
> freezer that my wife forgot to bring to Lung Guyland. I've got enough
> canned beans in the basement to start Popeye's Navy.

I do have leftover raw veggies quite a bit. For instance, I might use a
slice or two of a tomato on a sandwich or a little bit of white onion in a
burrito. Those are the sorts of things I might toss in a soup or stew. No
biggie. That stuff would go in there anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 20:34:09 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>news

>>> Neither do I. You people sure seem to love playing telephone!

>>I will use up bits and pieces of leftover things in the fridge to make
>>soup,
>>some of the best soup is made that way IMO.
>>
>>Cheri

> Very true, I do that... very often a single packet of ramen ends up as
> a four quart pot of exquisite soup... especially this time of year
> when gardening is over and I have lots to use up.

A great way to use up small portions of leftovers and surplus veggies.

Cheri