Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Beef Stew with a slight twist

On 9/24/2018 5:05 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:
>
>> On 9/23/2018 5:20 PM, cshenk wrote:
>>> This came out pretty good.
>>>
>>> Apologies for being an eye-ball measure cook but the below should be
>>> pretty close.
>>>
>>> 1lb stew beef, cut to about 1/2 inch cubes
>>> 28oz can diced tomatoes (with juice)
>>> 4oz can mushrooms (with juice), fresh would be fine but I had cammed
>>> 4 small carrots (about 1.5 cups small chopped)
>>> 2 large potatoes (about 1.5 cups cubed)
>>> 1/2 medium onion (1/2 cup, more would be fine)
>>> 1/2 ts bourbon smoked black pepper
>>> 1/2 ts roasted granulated garlic
>>> 1/4 ts chipotle and ground black pepper (use less for some tastes)
>>> 2 beef bullion cubes (a salt free mexican version)
>>> 1 cup water
>>>
>>> This was very flavorful and develops even better with longer
>>> cooking or fridge then reheat. If you do not like very spicy,
>>> consider starting with 1/8ts of the chipotle pepper blend as you
>>> can always add more later. The use of canned mushrooms is just
>>> right for us, but fresh would also work. I happened to only have
>>> canned on hand at the time so used that.
>>>
>>> There is an alternative version of this. Add a can of corn and
>>> measure the liquid as part of the water. I prefer the simplicity
>>> without the corn but the classic version of this uses either
>>> canned, fresh scraped, or frozen corn (about 1 cup).
>>>
>>> The tomato can should be diced or stewed and broken up. Sauce will
>>> not work here.
>>>
>>> Smile, not many recipes posted here but I keep them rolling at
>>> times!

>> Â* That's very close to the soup I made for dinner last night ! Not so
>> much pepper , I added a sliced/chopped stalk of celery and used some
>> canned broth to supplement the pot liquor from the CI skillet I
>> browned the meat , onions , and celery in . And a quart of home
>> canned whole 'maters . And some barley ... simmered it all for about
>> 3 hours , and it was well worth the effort . She liked it ...

> I like too!
>
> Yes, it seems close kissin' cousins to this doesn't it! I do leave out
> the celery, merely because I'm not a major fan of it.
>
> The bourbon smoked black pepper is part of what really makes the dish
> for me. Unique and not like regular black pepper. A cup of it will
> set you back about 15$ at Savory Spice Shop but that will last a long
> time.
>
> I had more for lunch today and the blending of the flavors hit my
> perfect peak. Barley would have matched nicely!
>
> Carol

Â*Guess what I (wife's at work) had for dinner ? I had to stop myself
from getting a second big bowl . I had a big thick heel slice of home
made bread with it , slathered with unsalted butter . When I want some
heat in a dish my go-to is usually dried homegrown serrano peppers .
There's a string of them drying just out of arms reach as I type this
.... and enough for a couple more awaiting picking .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old