Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Beef Stew with a slight twist

cshenk wrote:

> This came out pretty good.
>
> Apologies for being an eye-ball measure cook but the below should be
> pretty close.
>
> 1lb stew beef, cut to about 1/2 inch cubes
> 28oz can diced tomatoes (with juice)
> 4oz can mushrooms (with juice), fresh would be fine but I had cammed
> 4 small carrots (about 1.5 cups small chopped)
> 2 large potatoes (about 1.5 cups cubed)
> 1/2 medium onion (1/2 cup, more would be fine)
> 1/2 ts bourbon smoked black pepper
> 1/2 ts roasted granulated garlic
> 1/4 ts chipotle and ground black pepper (use less for some tastes)
> 2 beef bullion cubes (a salt free mexican version)
> 1 cup water
>
> This was very flavorful and develops even better with longer cooking
> or fridge then reheat. If you do not like very spicy, consider
> starting with 1/8ts of the chipotle pepper blend as you can always
> add more later. The use of canned mushrooms is just right for us,
> but fresh would also work. I happened to only have canned on hand at
> the time so used that.
>
> There is an alternative version of this. Add a can of corn and
> measure the liquid as part of the water. I prefer the simplicity
> without the corn but the classic version of this uses either canned,
> fresh scraped, or frozen corn (about 1 cup).
>
> The tomato can should be diced or stewed and broken up. Sauce will
> not work here.
>
> Smile, not many recipes posted here but I keep them rolling at times!

Forgot to add the bead that matches well here.

It's based off a French but is not classic French bread

1 1/3c water
4c bread flour (All purpose works pretty well with this one too)
1 egg
1 ts salt
2 ts yeast

Set to dough mode then when done, put in Pullman pan and let rise 1
hour. Bake at 400F for 18 minutes.