hahabogus

Default beef stew

Why am I cooking beef Stew in summer...Damn cravings...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Beef Stew

Recipe By :Submitted by Central Park Bed and Breakfast, Louisville, KY
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef Main Dish
Soups/Stews

2 pounds stew beef -- in chunks
(chuck steak or similar)
1 tablespoon oil - (to 2 tbspns)
1/4 cup flour - (to 1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 cup red/burgundy wine -- (adjust to taste)
5 grinds from a peppermill - (to 6)
1 can beef broth
Water -- as needed
4 medium onions -- cut into wedges
4 large carrots - (to 5) -- cut 1/3" slices
1 package frozen peas (replaced with 1 lge gr bell pepper
chopped)

Brown/sear beef pieces in oil; remove to heated dish, drain off grease.
Flour pieces little by little until slightly pasty. Mash garlic with salt
and add to beef with other seasonings. Add wine and allow stew to heat 5
minutes. Add beef broth to barely cover. (Sometimes I stop here and let
the beef marinate in the wine and broth overnight, then finish, per the
recipe, the next day. This will increase the wine flavor, but reduce the
thickness. To thicken, add cornstarch after baking the vegetables.)

Simmer, cover, and place in 300 degree oven and cook 1 to 1 1/2 hours until
beef is close to tender. Add water to bring to original level. Add
vegetables, cover, and return to oven to cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour
until vegetables are tender.

This recipe yields ?? servings.

Source:
"1st Traveler's Choice Internet Cookbook at
www.virtualcities.com/ons/recipe.htm"
S(Formatted for MC6):
"11-09-2000 by Joe Comiskey - "
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 296 Calories; 1g Fat (3.1% calories
from fat); 20g Protein; 54g Carbohydrate; 12g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 3510mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 7
Vegetable; 0 Fat.

NOTES : Specialty Recipe from Central Park Bed and Breakfast, Louisville,
KY

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
jmcquown

hahabogus wrote:
> Why am I cooking beef Stew in summer...Damn cravings...

Hey, doesn't require a season to make a good stew or soup!

Jill (the soupaholic)

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Beef Stew
>
> Recipe By :Submitted by Central Park Bed and Breakfast,
> Louisville, KY Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Beef Main Dish
> Soups/Stews

> 2 pounds stew beef -- in chunks
> (chuck steak or similar)
> 1 tablespoon oil - (to 2 tbspns)
> 1/4 cup flour - (to 1/2 cup)
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 2 garlic cloves
> 1/2 teaspoon thyme
> 1 bay leaf
> 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
> 1 cup red/burgundy wine -- (adjust to taste)
> 5 grinds from a peppermill - (to 6)
> 1 can beef broth
> Water -- as needed
> 4 medium onions -- cut into wedges
> 4 large carrots - (to 5) -- cut 1/3" slices
> 1 package frozen peas (replaced with 1 lge gr bell
> pepper chopped)
>
> Brown/sear beef pieces in oil; remove to heated dish, drain off
> grease. Flour pieces little by little until slightly pasty. Mash
> garlic with salt and add to beef with other seasonings. Add wine and
> allow stew to heat 5 minutes. Add beef broth to barely cover.
> (Sometimes I stop here and let the beef marinate in the wine and
> broth overnight, then finish, per the recipe, the next day. This
> will increase the wine flavor, but reduce the thickness. To thicken,
> add cornstarch after baking the vegetables.)
>
> Simmer, cover, and place in 300 degree oven and cook 1 to 1 1/2 hours
> until beef is close to tender. Add water to bring to original level.
> Add vegetables, cover, and return to oven to cook for 45 minutes to 1
> hour until vegetables are tender.
>
> This recipe yields ?? servings.
>
> Source:
> "1st Traveler's Choice Internet Cookbook at
> www.virtualcities.com/ons/recipe.htm"
> S(Formatted for MC6):
> "11-09-2000 by Joe Comiskey - "
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> - -
>
> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 296 Calories; 1g Fat (3.1%
> calories from fat); 20g Protein; 54g Carbohydrate; 12g Dietary Fiber;
> 0mg Cholesterol; 3510mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean
> Meat; 7 Vegetable; 0 Fat.
>
> NOTES : Specialty Recipe from Central Park Bed and Breakfast,
> Louisville, KY
>
> Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Dave Smith

hahabogus wrote:

> until
> beef is close to tender. Add water to bring to original level. Add
> vegetables, cover, and return to oven to cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour
> until vegetables are tender.
>
> This recipe yields ?? servings.

Based on the amount of meat used, I would think it would easily feed 6-8
people. IMO opinion, the recipe omits one of the most crucial steps in making
an exceptional stew. Once the meat part is done it should be allowed to cool
and then put into the fridge overnight. Then you heat it up again and add the
veggies. Stew always tastes better after it sits for a day.

Dave Smith

hahabogus wrote:

> until
> beef is close to tender. Add water to bring to original level. Add
> vegetables, cover, and return to oven to cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour
> until vegetables are tender.
>
> This recipe yields ?? servings.

Based on the amount of meat used, I would think it would easily feed 6-8
people. IMO opinion, the recipe omits one of the most crucial steps in making
an exceptional stew. Once the meat part is done it should be allowed to cool
and then put into the fridge overnight. Then you heat it up again and add the
veggies. Stew always tastes better after it sits for a day.

hahabogus

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
4:

> hahabogus > got ****ed off and typed
> :
>
>> Why am I cooking beef Stew in summer...Damn cravings...
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Beef Stew
>>
>> Recipe By :Submitted by Central Park Bed and Breakfast,
>> Louisville, KY Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Beef Main Dish
>> Soups/Stews

> <look it up in Google>
>

> One of my favorites. For being a shitty week <smirk> the ng has been
> all over a few of my fave foods. Beef Stew is one of them. Screw the
> season, eat it anyway.I'm counting the weeks until I can do stuffed
> cabbage.
>
> Michael

It needed potatoes....Found out too late...so I thickened it with instant
mashed potatoes, worked great.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.

hahabogus

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
4:

> hahabogus > got ****ed off and typed
> :
>
>> Why am I cooking beef Stew in summer...Damn cravings...
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Beef Stew
>>
>> Recipe By :Submitted by Central Park Bed and Breakfast,
>> Louisville, KY Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Beef Main Dish
>> Soups/Stews

> <look it up in Google>
>

> One of my favorites. For being a shitty week <smirk> the ng has been
> all over a few of my fave foods. Beef Stew is one of them. Screw the
> season, eat it anyway.I'm counting the weeks until I can do stuffed
> cabbage.
>
> Michael

It needed potatoes....Found out too late...so I thickened it with instant
mashed potatoes, worked great.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
Wayne

hahabogus > wrote in
:

> It needed potatoes....Found out too late...so I thickened it with
> instant mashed potatoes, worked great.

FWIW, I usually put two types of potatoes in beef stew. Waxy red potatoes
cut in bite-size chunks for spooning up and eating, and a large baking
potato cut rather small so that it will break down and thicken.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
jmcquown

hahabogus wrote:
> Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
> 4:
>
>> hahabogus > got ****ed off and typed
>> :
>>
>>> Why am I cooking beef Stew in summer...Damn cravings...
>>>

>>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>>
>>> Beef Stew
>>>
>>> Recipe By :Submitted by Central Park Bed and Breakfast,
>>> Louisville, KY Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>>> Categories : Beef Main Dish
>>> Soups/Stews

>> <look it up in Google>
>>

>> One of my favorites. For being a shitty week <smirk> the ng has been
>> all over a few of my fave foods. Beef Stew is one of them. Screw
>> the season, eat it anyway.I'm counting the weeks until I can do
>> stuffed cabbage.
>>
>> Michael

> It needed potatoes....Found out too late...so I thickened it with
> instant mashed potatoes, worked great.

Credit where credit is due, please? Who made you think of instant or canned
'taters?? And SALT <G>

Jill

jmcquown

hahabogus wrote:
> Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
> 4:
>
>> hahabogus > got ****ed off and typed
>> :
>>
>>> Why am I cooking beef Stew in summer...Damn cravings...
>>>

>>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>>
>>> Beef Stew
>>>
>>> Recipe By :Submitted by Central Park Bed and Breakfast,
>>> Louisville, KY Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>>> Categories : Beef Main Dish
>>> Soups/Stews

>> <look it up in Google>
>>

>> One of my favorites. For being a shitty week <smirk> the ng has been
>> all over a few of my fave foods. Beef Stew is one of them. Screw
>> the season, eat it anyway.I'm counting the weeks until I can do
>> stuffed cabbage.
>>
>> Michael

> It needed potatoes....Found out too late...so I thickened it with
> instant mashed potatoes, worked great.

Credit where credit is due, please? Who made you think of instant or canned
'taters?? And SALT <G>

Jill

jmcquown

hahabogus wrote:
> Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
> 4:
>
>> hahabogus > got ****ed off and typed
>> :
>>
>>> Why am I cooking beef Stew in summer...Damn cravings...
>>>

>>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>>
>>> Beef Stew
>>>
>>> Recipe By :Submitted by Central Park Bed and Breakfast,
>>> Louisville, KY Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>>> Categories : Beef Main Dish
>>> Soups/Stews

>> <look it up in Google>
>>

>> One of my favorites. For being a shitty week <smirk> the ng has been
>> all over a few of my fave foods. Beef Stew is one of them. Screw
>> the season, eat it anyway.I'm counting the weeks until I can do
>> stuffed cabbage.
>>
>> Michael

> It needed potatoes....Found out too late...so I thickened it with
> instant mashed potatoes, worked great.

Credit where credit is due, please? Who made you think of instant or canned
'taters?? And SALT <G>

Jill

hahabogus

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> hahabogus wrote:
>> Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
>> 4:
>>
>>> hahabogus > got ****ed off and typed
>>> :

>>> <look it up in Google>
>>>

>>> One of my favorites. For being a shitty week <smirk> the ng has been
>>> all over a few of my fave foods. Beef Stew is one of them. Screw
>>> the season, eat it anyway.I'm counting the weeks until I can do
>>> stuffed cabbage.
>>>
>>> Michael

>> It needed potatoes....Found out too late...so I thickened it with
>> instant mashed potatoes, worked great.

> Credit where credit is due, please? Who made you think of instant or
> canned 'taters?? And SALT <G>
>
> Jill

Well the Salt I'll give you, but the potatoes were my Idea. And he still
doesn't have a top to his head!!!

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
jmcquown

hahabogus wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> hahabogus wrote:
>>> Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
>>> 4:

>>> It needed potatoes....Found out too late...so I thickened it with
>>> instant mashed potatoes, worked great.

>> Credit where credit is due, please? Who made you think of instant or
>> canned 'taters?? And SALT <G>
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Well the Salt I'll give you, but the potatoes were my Idea. And he
> still doesn't have a top to his head!!!

I'll give you noogies on the top of your head if you don't stop saying that!
(laughing) I suggested canned taters, you suddenly said oh wait! Then ran
off and added potato flakes. Nitwit. <G> That was after I'd suggested the
salt.

Love you, dear
Jill

jmcquown

hahabogus wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> hahabogus wrote:
>>> Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
>>> 4:

>>> It needed potatoes....Found out too late...so I thickened it with
>>> instant mashed potatoes, worked great.

>> Credit where credit is due, please? Who made you think of instant or
>> canned 'taters?? And SALT <G>
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Well the Salt I'll give you, but the potatoes were my Idea. And he
> still doesn't have a top to his head!!!

I'll give you noogies on the top of your head if you don't stop saying that!
(laughing) I suggested canned taters, you suddenly said oh wait! Then ran
off and added potato flakes. Nitwit. <G> That was after I'd suggested the
salt.

Love you, dear
Jill

Beef Stew! Yum! salgud General Cooking 18 11-03-2006 02:56 AM
Indian Beef Stew : 2 times onion (Beef Stew : do Piaz) [email protected] General Cooking 0 02-12-2005 09:19 AM
Beef Stew 2 Tim Recipes 0 04-05-2005 10:07 AM
Oven Beef Stew - 5 Hour Stew Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 26-04-2005 03:34 AM