Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What do you do with brown rice?

I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you can
usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some things,
you'd have to cook it first.

For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes, such as
fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish with
some Mexican seasonings.

I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that. I am
thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled) wouldn't
work well with the brown rice.

I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left over, and I
intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or zucchini
stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.

Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes, except for
mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Freitag, 16. März 2018 11:09:08 UTC+1 schrieb Julie Bove:
> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you can
> usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some things,
> you'd have to cook it first.
>
> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes, such as
> fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
> Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
> chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish with
> some Mexican seasonings.
>
> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
> winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that. I am
> thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled) wouldn't
> work well with the brown rice.
>
> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left over, and I
> intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or zucchini
> stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>
> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes, except for
> mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

Dolmades. I have a killer recipe (vegan with brown rice), but I'm pretty
busy over the next few days. You'll find tons of recipes online, though.

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/16/2018 6:08 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you
> can usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some
> things, you'd have to cook it first.

I'd use it for the same things as white rice. Of course you have to
cook it first. You're one of the few people I know who seems to want to
use uncooked rice in things. You already know brown rice takes longer
to cook. If you're going to use it raw the dish (whatever it is) will
need to have a LOT of liquid and a very long cooking time.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 04:50:06 -0700 (PDT), sanne
> wrote:

>Am Freitag, 16. März 2018 11:09:08 UTC+1 schrieb Julie Bove:
>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you can
>> usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some things,
>> you'd have to cook it first.
>>
>> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes, such as
>> fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
>> Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
>> chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish with
>> some Mexican seasonings.
>>
>> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
>> winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that. I am
>> thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled) wouldn't
>> work well with the brown rice.
>>
>> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left over, and I
>> intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or zucchini
>> stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>>
>> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes, except for
>> mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

>Dolmades. I have a killer recipe (vegan with brown rice), but I'm pretty
>busy over the next few days. You'll find tons of recipes online, though.

She'll never find the grape leaves and probably wouldn't like them
anyway as they are somewhat bitter, like her temperment. lol
However stuffed cabbage is just as good and easy to prepare. Cabbage
is on sale all over right now. Prepare a big potful, stuffed cabbage
freezes well. After rolling all the large leaves I rough chop the
rest of the cabbage(s) and cook it all together in a large pot so I'll
have the stuffed rolls and cabbage soup. Add squished canned
tomatoes, sliced carrots for color, and a handful of raisins and the
juice of a lemon for sweet and sour. Only seasoning needed is s n'p
and maybe a couple three bay leaves... D-lish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/16/2018 10:59 AM, l not -l wrote:
> On 16-Mar-2018, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> On 3/16/2018 6:08 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also
>>> know that you
>>> can usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but
>>> for some
>>> things, you'd have to cook it first.
>>>

>> I'd use it for the same things as white rice. Of course you
>> have to
>> cook it first. You're one of the few people I know who seems
>> to want to
>> use uncooked rice in things. You already know brown rice takes
>> longer
>> to cook. If you're going to use it raw the dish (whatever it
>> is) will
>> need to have a LOT of liquid and a very long cooking time.
>>
>> Jill

> +1
> IMO, brown rice is better in pilaf than white rice; adding a nice
> texture and additional flavor.

Pilaf would be a good side dish next to steaks. Of course she'd have to
cook it. I wonder what the aversion is to cooking rice?

> If she just has to use uncooked rice in a dish, there are brands
> of "quick cook" brown rice.

Of course she wouldn't use that. Raw brown rice will take forever to
cook in, for example, the stuffed peppers she mentioned. Great way to
ruin the peppers.

> A quick Bing or google search will
> turn up several brands, including some that are organic; but, two
> are Minute brand and Trader Joe's.

Already stated, she won't use such things.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sanne" > wrote in message
Am Freitag, 16. März 2018 11:09:08 UTC+1 schrieb Julie Bove:
> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you
> can
> usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some things,
> you'd have to cook it first.
>
> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes, such
> as
> fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
> Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
> chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish with
> some Mexican seasonings.
>
> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
> winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that. I am
> thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled) wouldn't
> work well with the brown rice.
>
> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left over, and
> intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or zucchini
> stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>
> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes, except
> for
> mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

Dolmades. I have a killer recipe (vegan with brown rice), but I'm pretty
busy over the next few days. You'll find tons of recipes online, though.

Bye, Sanne.

---

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 04:50:06 -0700 (PDT), sanne
> > wrote:
>
>>Am Freitag, 16. März 2018 11:09:08 UTC+1 schrieb Julie Bove:
>>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you
>>> can
>>> usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some
>>> things,
>>> you'd have to cook it first.
>>>
>>> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes,
>>> such as
>>> fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
>>> Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
>>> chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish
>>> with
>>> some Mexican seasonings.
>>>
>>> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
>>> winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that. I
>>> am
>>> thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled) wouldn't
>>> work well with the brown rice.
>>>
>>> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left over,
>>> and I
>>> intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or zucchini
>>> stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes, except
>>> for
>>> mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

>>Dolmades. I have a killer recipe (vegan with brown rice), but I'm pretty
>>busy over the next few days. You'll find tons of recipes online, though.

> She'll never find the grape leaves and probably wouldn't like them
> anyway as they are somewhat bitter, like her temperment. lol
> However stuffed cabbage is just as good and easy to prepare. Cabbage
> is on sale all over right now. Prepare a big potful, stuffed cabbage
> freezes well. After rolling all the large leaves I rough chop the
> rest of the cabbage(s) and cook it all together in a large pot so I'll
> have the stuffed rolls and cabbage soup. Add squished canned
> tomatoes, sliced carrots for color, and a handful of raisins and the
> juice of a lemon for sweet and sour. Only seasoning needed is s n'p
> and maybe a couple three bay leaves... D-lish.

Raisins? I might make stuffed cabbage but not with raisins. Thanks though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 3/16/2018 6:08 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you
>> can usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some
>> things, you'd have to cook it first.
>>

> I'd use it for the same things as white rice. Of course you have to cook
> it first. You're one of the few people I know who seems to want to use
> uncooked rice in things. You already know brown rice takes longer to
> cook. If you're going to use it raw the dish (whatever it is) will need
> to have a LOT of liquid and a very long cooking time.

Then what do you do with your white rice?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 16-Mar-2018, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> On 3/16/2018 6:08 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also
>> > know that you
>> > can usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but
>> > for some
>> > things, you'd have to cook it first.
>> >

>> I'd use it for the same things as white rice. Of course you
>> have to
>> cook it first. You're one of the few people I know who seems
>> to want to
>> use uncooked rice in things. You already know brown rice takes
>> longer
>> to cook. If you're going to use it raw the dish (whatever it
>> is) will
>> need to have a LOT of liquid and a very long cooking time.
>>
>> Jill

> +1
> IMO, brown rice is better in pilaf than white rice; adding a nice
> texture and additional flavor.

I will look up a pilaf recipe. Thanks. That's not something I've ever made.

> If she just has to use uncooked rice in a dish, there are brands
> of "quick cook" brown rice. A quick Bing or google search will
> turn up several brands, including some that are organic; but, two
> are Minute brand and Trader Joe's.

I wouldn't touch that! I only asked about a few things that for uncooked
rice. One was a chicken dish and the other was porcupine meatballs.

> I'm easy to get along with when things gp my way.

Me too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/16/2018 6:08 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that
>> you can usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for
>> some things, you'd have to cook it first.
>>

> I'd use it for the same things as white rice. Of course you have to
> cook it first. You're one of the few people I know who seems to want to
> use uncooked rice in things. You already know brown rice takes longer
> to cook. If you're going to use it raw the dish (whatever it is) will
> need to have a LOT of liquid and a very long cooking time.
>
> Jill

Here we go again
You know durn well there will be no solution that will work for her.
Ahahahaha.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 5:14:17 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> Here we go again
> You know durn well there will be no solution that will work for her.
> Ahahahaha.

You took the words right off the tips of my fingers! I KNEW before I
even clicked on the post to read it was from our resident dunce.

Every single suggestion will be rejected.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 3:09:08 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you can
> usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some things,
> you'd have to cook it first.
>
> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes, such as
> fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
> Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
> chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish with
> some Mexican seasonings.
>
> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
> winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that. I am
> thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled) wouldn't
> work well with the brown rice.
>
> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left over, and I
> intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or zucchini
> stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>
> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes, except for
> mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

Why don't you cook up a very big pot full of brown rice, then portion it out in containers and freeze it. That way you will have ready cooked brown rice to use in a lot of different recipes. All you have to do is thaw out a container of it and make your dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you
> can usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some
> things, you'd have to cook it first.
>
> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes,
> such as fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
> Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
> chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish
> with some Mexican seasonings.
>
> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
> winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that. I
> am thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled)
> wouldn't work well with the brown rice.
>
> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left over,
> and I intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or
> zucchini stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>
> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes, except
> for mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

Suggestions:

• Spagrice (Spaghetti is replaced with rice and use your favorite
Italian sauce.)
• Rice Pudding

--
Sincerely,

A. H. Carter
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/16/2018 5:08 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you
> can usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some
> things, you'd have to cook it first.
>
> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes,
> such as fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
> Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
> chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish
> with some Mexican seasonings.
>
> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
> winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that. I
> am thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled)
> wouldn't work well with the brown rice.
>
> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left over,
> and I intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or
> zucchini stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>
> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes, except
> for mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

This is a quick, easy dish made mostly from staples so I always have the
ingredients on hand:
http://www.cookingwithoutanet.com/20...-and-peas.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that
> you can usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for
> some things, you'd have to cook it first.

I have made and enjoyed brown rice and cucumber salad. There are a
number of variations so if that is of interest, I recommend searching
on that base and seeing what comes up.

Brian
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 3:09:08 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you
> can
> usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some things,
> you'd have to cook it first.
>
> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes, such
> as
> fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
> Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
> chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish with
> some Mexican seasonings.
>
> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
> winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that. I am
> thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled) wouldn't
> work well with the brown rice.
>
> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left over, and
> intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or zucchini
> stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>
> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes, except
> for
> mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

Why don't you cook up a very big pot full of brown rice, then portion it out
in containers and freeze it. That way you will have ready cooked brown rice
to use in a lot of different recipes. All you have to do is thaw out a
container of it and make your dish.

----

No freezer space for that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A. H. Carter" > wrote in message
news
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you
>> can usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some
>> things, you'd have to cook it first.
>>
>> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes, such
>> as fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
>> Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
>> chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish
>> with some Mexican seasonings.
>>
>> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
>> winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that. I am
>> thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled) wouldn't
>> work well with the brown rice.
>>
>> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left over,
>> and I intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or
>> zucchini stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>>
>> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes, except
>> for mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

> Suggestions:
>
> • Spagrice (Spaghetti is replaced with rice and use your favorite Italian
> sauce.)
> • Rice Pudding

I use rice pasta but thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.44...
> On Fri 16 Mar 2018 04:40:42p, A. H. Carter told us...
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know
>>> that you can usually sub it for things you would put white rice
>>> in but for some things, you'd have to cook it first.
>>>
>>> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian
>>> dishes, such as fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on
>>> the side. Or Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main
>>> dish with beans and chicken or ground beef with appropriate
>>> seasonings, or as a side dish with some Mexican seasonings.
>>>
>>> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is
>>> a real winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go
>>> with that. I am thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however
>>> it's spelled) wouldn't work well with the brown rice.
>>>
>>> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left
>>> over, and I intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as
>>> peppers or zucchini stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some
>>> cheese.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes,
>>> except for mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here.
>>> Thanks!

>> Suggestions:
>>
>> . Spagrice (Spaghetti is replaced with rice and use your favorite
>> Italian sauce.)
>> . Rice Pudding
>>

> The following is a very nice casserole based on brown rice along with
> vegetables. Step 1 pertains to cooking the brown rice. I would
> suggest that before following step 2 that the rice is checked for
> doneness and more brotgh added if needed for additional cookingl.
>
> https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...able-casserole

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dejamos" > wrote in message
news
> On 3/16/2018 5:08 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you
>> can usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some
>> things, you'd have to cook it first.
>>
>> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes, such
>> as fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
>> Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
>> chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish
>> with some Mexican seasonings.
>>
>> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
>> winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that. I am
>> thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled) wouldn't
>> work well with the brown rice.
>>
>> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left over,
>> and I intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or
>> zucchini stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>>
>> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes, except
>> for mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

> This is a quick, easy dish made mostly from staples so I always have the
> ingredients on hand:
> http://www.cookingwithoutanet.com/20...-and-peas.html

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" > wrote in message
news
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that
>> you can usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for
>> some things, you'd have to cook it first.

> I have made and enjoyed brown rice and cucumber salad. There are a
> number of variations so if that is of interest, I recommend searching
> on that base and seeing what comes up.
>

> Brian

Thanks! I tried a rice salad once but it had capers in it and those gave it
a very bad taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 12:09:08 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you can
> usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some things,
> you'd have to cook it first.
>
> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes, such as
> fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
> Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
> chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish with
> some Mexican seasonings.
>
> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
> winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that. I am
> thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled) wouldn't
> work well with the brown rice.
>
> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left over, and I
> intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or zucchini
> stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>
> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes, except for
> mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

I have no suggestions since I don't eat brown rice. A lot of people around here do eat the stuff. I never thought I'd see the day when Asians would eat brown rice but it has come to pass. Then again, I never thought I'd see the day when cats and chickens would congregate. This world is full of surprises.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 17:55:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Default User" > wrote in message
>news
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that
>>> you can usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for
>>> some things, you'd have to cook it first.

>> I have made and enjoyed brown rice and cucumber salad. There are a
>> number of variations so if that is of interest, I recommend searching
>> on that base and seeing what comes up.
>>

>> Brian

>Thanks! I tried a rice salad once but it had capers in it and those gave it
>a very bad taste.

Try making a rice salad without capers, then. Should be good.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 17:51:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 3:09:08 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you
>> can
>> usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some things,
>> you'd have to cook it first.
>>
>> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes, such
>> as
>> fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
>> Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
>> chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish with
>> some Mexican seasonings.
>>
>> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
>> winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that. I am
>> thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled) wouldn't
>> work well with the brown rice.
>>
>> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left over, and
>> intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or zucchini
>> stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>>
>> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes, except
>> for
>> mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

>Why don't you cook up a very big pot full of brown rice, then portion it out
>in containers and freeze it. That way you will have ready cooked brown rice
>to use in a lot of different recipes. All you have to do is thaw out a
>container of it and make your dish.
>
>----
>
>No freezer space for that.

You really should use up (or throw out) some of the stuff in your
freezer so you have room for things that you need.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 21:40:35 -0400, Doris Night
> wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 17:51:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>

>>"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>>On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 3:09:08 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you
>>> can
>>> usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some things,
>>> you'd have to cook it first.
>>>
>>> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes, such
>>> as
>>> fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
>>> Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
>>> chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish with
>>> some Mexican seasonings.
>>>
>>> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
>>> winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that. I am
>>> thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled) wouldn't
>>> work well with the brown rice.
>>>
>>> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left over, and
>>> intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or zucchini
>>> stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes, except
>>> for
>>> mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

>>Why don't you cook up a very big pot full of brown rice, then portion it out
>>in containers and freeze it. That way you will have ready cooked brown rice
>>to use in a lot of different recipes. All you have to do is thaw out a
>>container of it and make your dish.
>>
>>----
>>
>>No freezer space for that.

>You really should use up (or throw out) some of the stuff in your
>freezer so you have room for things that you need.
>
>Doris

Julie has 26 loaves of cheap bread squeezed into her freezer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 3:09:08 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that
>> you can
>> usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some
>> things,
>> you'd have to cook it first.
>>
>> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes,
>> such as
>> fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
>> Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
>> chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish
>> with
>> some Mexican seasonings.
>>
>> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
>> winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that. I am
>> thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled) wouldn't
>> work well with the brown rice.
>>
>> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left over,
>> and I
>> intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or zucchini
>> stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>>
>> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes,
>> except for
>> mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

> Why don't you cook up a very big pot full of brown rice, then portion it
> out in containers and freeze it. That way you will have ready cooked
> brown rice to use in a lot of different recipes. All you have to do is
> thaw out a container of it and make your dish.
>
> ----
>
> No freezer space for that.

Ha Ha Ha Ha. I knew it Wouldn't work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "A. H. Carter" > wrote in message
> news
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that
>>> you can usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for
>>> some things, you'd have to cook it first.
>>>
>>> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes,
>>> such as fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side.
>>> Or Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with
>>> beans and chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a
>>> side dish with some Mexican seasonings.
>>>
>>> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a
>>> real winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with
>>> that. I am thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's
>>> spelled) wouldn't work well with the brown rice.
>>>
>>> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left
>>> over, and I intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as
>>> peppers or zucchini stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes,
>>> except for mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

>> Suggestions:
>>
>> • Spagrice (Spaghetti is replaced with rice and use your favorite
>> Italian sauce.)
>> • Rice Pudding

> I use rice pasta but thanks.

Ha Ha Ha Ha. I knew it Wouldn't work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote in message
> news
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that
>>> you can usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for
>>> some things, you'd have to cook it first.

>> I have made and enjoyed brown rice and cucumber salad. There are a
>> number of variations so if that is of interest, I recommend searching
>> on that base and seeing what comes up.
>>

>> Brian

> Thanks! I tried a rice salad once but it had capers in it and those gave
> it a very bad taste.

Yea, next time just skip the nasty capers and use anchovies instead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 5:09:08 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you can
> usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some things,
> you'd have to cook it first.
>
> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes, such as
> fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
> Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
> chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish with
> some Mexican seasonings.
>
> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
> winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that. I am
> thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled) wouldn't
> work well with the brown rice.
>
> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left over, and I
> intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or zucchini
> stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>
> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes, except for
> mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

I make big batches of brown rice, it's the only rice I cook and eat. I cook up a big pot of it then cool it off and store it in the refrigerator. I have a batch in there right now I just made yesterday.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 17:51:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>>On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 3:09:08 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you
>>> can
>>> usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some
>>> things,
>>> you'd have to cook it first.
>>>
>>> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes,
>>> such
>>> as
>>> fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
>>> Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
>>> chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish
>>> with
>>> some Mexican seasonings.
>>>
>>> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
>>> winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that. I
>>> am
>>> thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled) wouldn't
>>> work well with the brown rice.
>>>
>>> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left over,
>>> and
>>> intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or zucchini
>>> stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes, except
>>> for
>>> mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

>>Why don't you cook up a very big pot full of brown rice, then portion it
>>out
>>in containers and freeze it. That way you will have ready cooked brown
>>rice
>>to use in a lot of different recipes. All you have to do is thaw out a
>>container of it and make your dish.
>>
>>----
>>
>>No freezer space for that.

> You really should use up (or throw out) some of the stuff in your
> freezer so you have room for things that you need.

The freezer stuff gets eaten all the time. I just don't need to be putting
cooked rice in there. I do have a little bit for the dog in case I make
something he can't eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 21:40:35 -0400, Doris Night
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 17:51:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>>>Why don't you cook up a very big pot full of brown rice, then portion it
>>>out
>>>in containers and freeze it. That way you will have ready cooked brown
>>>rice
>>>to use in a lot of different recipes. All you have to do is thaw out a
>>>container of it and make your dish.
>>>
>>>----
>>>
>>>No freezer space for that.

>>You really should use up (or throw out) some of the stuff in your
>>freezer so you have room for things that you need.
>>
>>Doris

> Julie has 26 loaves of cheap bread squeezed into her freezer.

I don't eat cheap bread and I certainly wouldn't freeze bread! I do have
some frozen dough that I should use up though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 17:55:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Default User" > wrote in message
>>news

>>> I have made and enjoyed brown rice and cucumber salad. There are a
>>> number of variations so if that is of interest, I recommend searching
>>> on that base and seeing what comes up.
>>>

>>> Brian

>>Thanks! I tried a rice salad once but it had capers in it and those gave
>>it
>>a very bad taste.

> Try making a rice salad without capers, then. Should be good.

Maybe when the weather warms up. Still too cold.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 12:09:08 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you
> can
> usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some things,
> you'd have to cook it first.
>
> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes, such
> as
> fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
> Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
> chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish with
> some Mexican seasonings.
>
> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
> winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that. I am
> thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled) wouldn't
> work well with the brown rice.
>
> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left over, and
> intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or zucchini
> stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>
> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes, except
> for
> mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

I have no suggestions since I don't eat brown rice. A lot of people around
here do eat the stuff. I never thought I'd see the day when Asians would eat
brown rice but it has come to pass. Then again, I never thought I'd see the
day when cats and chickens would congregate. This world is full of
surprises.

---

Most of the Asian and Thai places offer it here but generally either plain
or fried.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 5:09:08 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you
>> can
>> usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some
>> things,
>> you'd have to cook it first.
>>
>> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes, such
>> as
>> fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
>> Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
>> chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish
>> with
>> some Mexican seasonings.
>>
>> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
>> winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that. I am
>> thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled) wouldn't
>> work well with the brown rice.
>>
>> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left over,
>> and I
>> intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or zucchini
>> stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>>
>> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes, except
>> for
>> mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

> I make big batches of brown rice, it's the only rice I cook and eat. I
> cook up a big pot of it then cool it off and store it in the refrigerator.
> I have a batch in there right now I just made yesterday.

But what do you do with it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 12:09:08 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you
> can
> usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some things,
> you'd have to cook it first.
>
> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes, such
> as
> fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
> Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
> chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish with
> some Mexican seasonings.
>
> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
> winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that. I am
> thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled) wouldn't
> work well with the brown rice.
>
> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left over, and
> intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or zucchini
> stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>
> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes, except
> for
> mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

I have no suggestions since I don't eat brown rice. A lot of people around
here do eat the stuff. I never thought I'd see the day when Asians would eat
brown rice but it has come to pass. Then again, I never thought I'd see the
day when cats and chickens would congregate. This world is full of
surprises.

==

It's a mad old world

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Piggy soup.

Brown 2 lb ground beef and a chopped onion. Drain fat.

Add 28oc can tomato sauce, 28oz diced tomatos. I use campbells tomato soup when i dont have tom sauce.
1 med cabbage cut your liking
6 beef bullion cubes
Quarter cup brown sugar
Shake of pepper and a good shake of garlic powder. I use real.

2 cups brown rice, cooked or not.
Simmer away.

Sub green peppers for cabbage if pepper soup preferred.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/16/2018 5:23 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 3/16/2018 6:08 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that
>>> you can usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for
>>> some things, you'd have to cook it first.
>>>

>> I'd use it for the same things as white rice.* Of course you have to
>> cook it first.* You're one of the few people I know who seems to want
>> to use uncooked rice in things.* You already know brown rice takes
>> longer to cook.* If you're going to use it raw the dish (whatever it
>> is) will need to have a LOT of liquid and a very long cooking time.

> Then what do you do with your white rice?

When I cook rice (it's more often brown than white) I usually make
pilaf, cooking it in broth or stock and adding sauteed vegetables. It
can be a side dish for any number of things. The operative word here is
*cook*.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/16/2018 7:02 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 3:09:08 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you can
>> usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some things,
>> you'd have to cook it first.

(snippage)

>> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes, except for
>> mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

> Why don't you cook up a very big pot full of brown rice, then portion it out in containers and freeze it. That way you will have ready cooked brown rice to use in a lot of different recipes. All you have to do is thaw out a container of it and make your dish.

Before I bpther to read further I can guess she'll say she doesn't have
the freezer space.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2018 9:40 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 17:51:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>> On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 3:09:08 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that you
>>> can
>>> usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some things,
>>> you'd have to cook it first.
>>>

>> Why don't you cook up a very big pot full of brown rice, then portion it out
>> in containers and freeze it. That way you will have ready cooked brown rice
>> to use in a lot of different recipes. All you have to do is thaw out a
>> container of it and make your dish.
>>
>> ----
>>
>> No freezer space for that.

> You really should use up (or throw out) some of the stuff in your
> freezer so you have room for things that you need.
>
> Doris

She allegedly uses up stuff to make room in the freezer all the time. I
may be mistaken, but I don't think she has a stand-alone freezer unit.
If not, it sure sounds like she could benefit from having one. It
wouldn't have to be a particularly large freezer. Mine isn't.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 1:38:48 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 3/16/2018 5:23 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> >> I'd use it for the same things as white rice.Â* Of course you have to
> >> cook it first.Â* You're one of the few people I know who seems to want
> >> to use uncooked rice in things.Â* You already know brown rice takes
> >> longer to cook.Â* If you're going to use it raw the dish (whatever it
> >> is) will need to have a LOT of liquid and a very long cooking time.

> > Then what do you do with your white rice?

> When I cook rice (it's more often brown than white) I usually make
> pilaf, cooking it in broth or stock and adding sauteed vegetables. It
> can be a side dish for any number of things. The operative word here is
> *cook*.
>
> Jill

I don't think she has any objection to cooking brown rice. She just
doesn't want to precook it for dishes like stuffed peppers. Heaven
only knows why she seems resistant to that.

Cindy Hamilton