Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Croquettes with no egg?

On 2018-01-09 9:58 AM, Gary wrote:
> Cheri wrote:

> Well I bought a 2-3 lb whole chicken and cut it all up myself. I
> oven baked it. Once done, I treated all the large pieces just
> like chicken wings. Coated each piece with the mix of melted
> butter and Frank's Hot Sauce. And on the plate I had a dipping
> pile of "Marie's Blue Cheese Dressing."
>
> Well....turned out much better than using wings. Rather then
> nibbling on a chicken wing piece, how about chomping down on
> large bite of chicken thigh with all the same flavors. Oh yeah!
> I haven't bought wings since that day.
>
> No more Buffalo Wings for me....
> I make "Buffalo Whole Chicken" now. Screw the scrawny wings.

I have been seeing more and more places flogging Buffalo Chicken dishes.
It is ironic that when chicken wings in the 1970s one of the things that
appealed to the bars that were selling them was that they were so cheap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Jan 2018 09:58:32 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" wrote:
>> > Remember the very inexpensive packages of chicken backs? Never
>> > see them anymore either. Nor beef bones for stock.

>> =======
>>
>> Look what happened to chicken wings and turkey parts, used to be dirt cheap,
>> not anymore.

>The chicken wing prices are just silly these days.
>
>For some reason, I only get the urge for them at Superbowl time.
>I guess since it's a traditional thing to eat at that time. Worst
>time ever too as they are so popular then, the price goes way up.
>
>Old story but this happened to me several years ago. Superbowl
>Sunday and I thought I'd make some chicken wings....until I saw
>the price...large packs of wings were $4.99/lb. Yeah right! That
>much and about half of the weight is bones/lost weight.
>
>I wasn't going to pay that and was disappointed that I wouldn't
>have the food as I was all set and looking forward to it. Then
>right in the very next section was a whole fryer chicken for only
>$0.88/lb. Hmmmmm, I thought.
>
>Well I bought a 2-3 lb whole chicken and cut it all up myself. I
>oven baked it. Once done, I treated all the large pieces just
>like chicken wings. Coated each piece with the mix of melted
>butter and Frank's Hot Sauce. And on the plate I had a dipping
>pile of "Marie's Blue Cheese Dressing."
>
>Well....turned out much better than using wings. Rather then
>nibbling on a chicken wing piece, how about chomping down on
>large bite of chicken thigh with all the same flavors. Oh yeah!
>I haven't bought wings since that day.
>
>No more Buffalo Wings for me....
>I make "Buffalo Whole Chicken" now. Screw the scrawny wings.
>:-D

I like wings occasionally so I buy them on sale and freeze, until I
want some.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Jan 2018 10:32:23 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> We're having sushi for dinner. My husband uses chopsticks because he
>> likes to dip his rice in soy sauce.

>Has he ever heard of a fork?
>Or a spoon to drizzle a little soy sauce over his rice?
>
>There is some bird that learned how to catch insects in their
>nest using a stick...isn't there some "intelligent" monkey that
>has learned the same? lol
>
>I'm always amused at how so many people use knives, forks and
>spoons....yet give them some asian take-out food and they switch
>to eating with a pair of sticks. heheh

So you have a problem with raw fish, with chopsticks and with wine
with your food. And this man with a limited palate wants me to eat
dead feral dogs...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 03:45:02 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 6:02:29 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 16:55:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I had salmon cakes when I was growing up. Nasty things. Cakes like that are
>> >not croquettes. The ones that I made had more of a rounded shape.

>> I don't know what salmon cakes are. Cake sounds like a sweet. Anyway,
>> salmon patties are great. Mackerel patties are even better.

>In this context, cake = patty. Like a cake of soap,
>the word "cake" can refer to any flattish mass.

Ok, then I can't see what could possibly be nasty about them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 12:38:46 AM UTC-10, sanne wrote:

> Given the history of the immigrants and the slaughterhouses everywhere in
> the USA, New York especially ("Give me your poor...")?
> I'm talking about the 19th/early 20th century regarding and introducing
> the oxtail to American cuisine.
> Who would have thought that raw fish would be a thing in the USA?
>
> Bye, Sanne.

Good point.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 1:42:06 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Shows how little you know about "Americans". I've been eating oxtail all
> my life. I just pulled my husband's 1981 Betty Crocker cookbook off the
> shelf, and found the recipe for oxtail stew. If I still had my 1960s-vintage
> copy, I'm sure it would have the same recipe.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

As a matter of fact, I don't know that much about the people on the mainland. You probably don't know much about the people on this rock.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Jan 2018 08:39:24 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>> >I had salmon cakes when I was growing up. Nasty things. Cakes like that are
>> >not croquettes. The ones that I made had more of a rounded shape.

>> I don't know what salmon cakes are. Cake sounds like a sweet. Anyway,
>> salmon patties are great. Mackerel patties are even better.

>Crab cakes made from fresh are even better, imo.
>Anyway, as Cindy said...the cakes are not sweet. Same thing as
>patties here.
>
>Here's a recipe that I use (and fish can be used instead of
>crab):

<recipe>

That sounds good. They'd be expensive luxury patties with crab instead
of mackerel. Those cans of mackerel are even cheap in Australia, where
nothing's cheap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 01:27:52 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 10:37:06 PM UTC-10, sanne wrote:
>>
>> Tongue, cheek, even the whole heads, feet with claws, tails - waste from
>> any slaughterhouse in former times. Poor people's (sometimes only) source
>> of meat.
>> Look at all the nowadays high-priced specialties - lots of work/time
>> necessary to make them edible.
>>
>> Bye, Sanne.

>Eating oxtail would seem to be an European or a Chinese thing but it hardly seems American.

where do you suppose those Americans came from? They brought all
their favorite foods with them because even here in the U,S,, cattle
have tails, chicken have feet, etc. Sweetbreads was one of my
favorites as a child. I ate pickled pigs feet along with my mom (she
loved them) We ate liver. It is only in recent times that people
decided they should only eat the big muscle parts. I hate it when
sausage advertises that it is made solely with some of the big muscle
parts of the animal. We love bacon, sausage and lunch meats that
were originally devised to utilize lesser parts of an animal. If you
are going to kill an animal for food, you'd better be willing to eat
the whole darn thing. End of sermon
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 5:17:24 AM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
> Round these parts we eat a LOT of different parts, cheek, lengua,
> trotters, oxtails, etc.
>
> Folks that migrated from little learned to waste not.

A lot depends on where round these parts are around. I know some folks on the mainland will eat those parts. It's not something I'd associate with white bread America though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 5:21:18 AM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:

> Wait...prepared rice from a container?!?!
>
> Man, that's just so wrong....

It is interesting. It's a product from Japan. I'd like to try it but buying a tub of pre-cooked rice just don't seem right... I can't say who eats that stuff. Possibly elderly shut-ins and young single guys. Don't quote me cause I could be wrong.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 9:58 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 1:42:06 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Shows how little you know about "Americans". I've been eating oxtail all
>> my life. I just pulled my husband's 1981 Betty Crocker cookbook off the
>> shelf, and found the recipe for oxtail stew. If I still had my 1960s-vintage
>> copy, I'm sure it would have the same recipe.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> As a matter of fact, I don't know that much about the people on the mainland. You probably don't know much about the people on this rock.

The good thing is that thanks to you we all get to learn, a win/win I
call that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 10:09 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 01:27:52 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 10:37:06 PM UTC-10, sanne wrote:
>>>
>>> Tongue, cheek, even the whole heads, feet with claws, tails - waste from
>>> any slaughterhouse in former times. Poor people's (sometimes only) source
>>> of meat.
>>> Look at all the nowadays high-priced specialties - lots of work/time
>>> necessary to make them edible.
>>>
>>> Bye, Sanne.

>> Eating oxtail would seem to be an European or a Chinese thing but it hardly seems American.

> where do you suppose those Americans came from? They brought all
> their favorite foods with them because even here in the U,S,, cattle
> have tails, chicken have feet, etc. Sweetbreads was one of my
> favorites as a child. I ate pickled pigs feet along with my mom (she
> loved them) We ate liver. It is only in recent times that people
> decided they should only eat the big muscle parts. I hate it when
> sausage advertises that it is made solely with some of the big muscle
> parts of the animal. We love bacon, sausage and lunch meats that
> were originally devised to utilize lesser parts of an animal. If you
> are going to kill an animal for food, you'd better be willing to eat
> the whole darn thing. End of sermon
> Janet US

And a good sermon it was!

;-0
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 10:11 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 5:17:24 AM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
>> Round these parts we eat a LOT of different parts, cheek, lengua,
>> trotters, oxtails, etc.
>>
>> Folks that migrated from little learned to waste not.

> A lot depends on where round these parts are around. I know some folks on the mainland will eat those parts. It's not something I'd associate with white bread America though.

You prolly lack some personal familiarity with Appalachia.

Or a lot of the south where whites learned from the salves they held.

"Soul food" is slave cuisine and yet somehow it bled uphill to white
bread America.

Now I have to say however that the reliance on slices of un-toasted
Wonder bread served with BBQ appalls me, regardless of how "traditional"
it is.

Not at all sure how that got going - maybe just cheap bread...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 10:17 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 5:21:18 AM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
>>
>> Wait...prepared rice from a container?!?!
>>
>> Man, that's just so wrong....

> It is interesting. It's a product from Japan. I'd like to try it but buying a tub of pre-cooked rice just don't seem right... I can't say who eats that stuff. Possibly elderly shut-ins and young single guys. Don't quote me cause I could be wrong.

Lol, nailed it!

I'm sure I posted on my sad experiment with Target's Archer brand
shelf-stable gnocci.

Uggghh...

Never again....

https://www.target.com/p/mini-gnocch...3/-/A-14770260

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 7:09:32 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> where do you suppose those Americans came from? They brought all
> their favorite foods with them because even here in the U,S,, cattle
> have tails, chicken have feet, etc. Sweetbreads was one of my
> favorites as a child. I ate pickled pigs feet along with my mom (she
> loved them) We ate liver. It is only in recent times that people
> decided they should only eat the big muscle parts. I hate it when
> sausage advertises that it is made solely with some of the big muscle
> parts of the animal. We love bacon, sausage and lunch meats that
> were originally devised to utilize lesser parts of an animal. If you
> are going to kill an animal for food, you'd better be willing to eat
> the whole darn thing. End of sermon
> Janet US

I never said that people on the mainland don't eat oxtail. I know they do. If you tell me that most people love the stuff over there, I remain unconvinced.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 10:32:56 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > We're having sushi for dinner. My husband uses chopsticks because he
> > likes to dip his rice in soy sauce.

> Has he ever heard of a fork?

A fork wouldn't work with sushi. It would break up the rice ball.

> Or a spoon to drizzle a little soy sauce over his rice?

He would still have to pick it up, and it would still be messy.

> There is some bird that learned how to catch insects in their
> nest using a stick...isn't there some "intelligent" monkey that
> has learned the same? lol

Chopsticks are twice as good as your bird's stick.

> I'm always amused at how so many people use knives, forks and
> spoons....yet give them some asian take-out food and they switch
> to eating with a pair of sticks. heheh

Why not? It works perfectly well. If chopsticks come in the bag
with the takeout, why dirty a fork?

I know you're handicapped; if you were presented with no other option
than chopsticks you'd have to use your hands. You're more to be
pitied than scorned.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" wrote:
>> > Remember the very inexpensive packages of chicken backs? Never
>> > see them anymore either. Nor beef bones for stock.

>> =======
>>
>> Look what happened to chicken wings and turkey parts, used to be dirt
>> cheap,
>> not anymore.

> The chicken wing prices are just silly these days.
>
> For some reason, I only get the urge for them at Superbowl time.
> I guess since it's a traditional thing to eat at that time. Worst
> time ever too as they are so popular then, the price goes way up.
>
> Old story but this happened to me several years ago. Superbowl
> Sunday and I thought I'd make some chicken wings....until I saw
> the price...large packs of wings were $4.99/lb. Yeah right! That
> much and about half of the weight is bones/lost weight.
>
> I wasn't going to pay that and was disappointed that I wouldn't
> have the food as I was all set and looking forward to it. Then
> right in the very next section was a whole fryer chicken for only
> $0.88/lb. Hmmmmm, I thought.
>
> Well I bought a 2-3 lb whole chicken and cut it all up myself. I
> oven baked it. Once done, I treated all the large pieces just
> like chicken wings. Coated each piece with the mix of melted
> butter and Frank's Hot Sauce. And on the plate I had a dipping
> pile of "Marie's Blue Cheese Dressing."
>
> Well....turned out much better than using wings. Rather then
> nibbling on a chicken wing piece, how about chomping down on
> large bite of chicken thigh with all the same flavors. Oh yeah!
> I haven't bought wings since that day.
>
> No more Buffalo Wings for me....
> I make "Buffalo Whole Chicken" now. Screw the scrawny wings.
> :-D

I don't buy them anymore either.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 08:52:49 -0700, Casa estilo antiguo >
wrote:

>On 1/9/2018 8:32 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> We're having sushi for dinner. My husband uses chopsticks because he
>>> likes to dip his rice in soy sauce.

>> Has he ever heard of a fork?
>> Or a spoon to drizzle a little soy sauce over his rice?
>>
>> There is some bird that learned how to catch insects in their
>> nest using a stick...isn't there some "intelligent" monkey that
>> has learned the same? lol
>>
>> I'm always amused at how so many people use knives, forks and
>> spoons....yet give them some asian take-out food and they switch
>> to eating with a pair of sticks. heheh

>It has one critical advantage, it slows and limits the amount one can
>shovel in at any one mouthful.
>
>That makes for far better digestion.

Nonsense... I've seen many an Oriental shovel food into their maws
from a bowl with chopsticks nonstop without hardly taking a breath
until the bowl is empty... there is nothing delicate about eating with
chopsticks. I've observed long ago that if Orientals had snouts
they'd empty a bowl of moo shu alpo like a famished dog. It's only in
Hollywood movies where Orientals eat all dainty-like from dinner
plates, in reality the Oriental eating style is to scoff/slurp down
grub from bowls like a pack of wild beasts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 11:59:02 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 1:42:06 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Shows how little you know about "Americans". I've been eating oxtail all
> > my life. I just pulled my husband's 1981 Betty Crocker cookbook off the
> > shelf, and found the recipe for oxtail stew. If I still had my 1960s-vintage
> > copy, I'm sure it would have the same recipe.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> As a matter of fact, I don't know that much about the people on the mainland. You probably don't know much about the people on this rock.

Probably more than you'd think. I'm curious about the world and
will read practically anything.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 12:11:22 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 5:17:24 AM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
> > Round these parts we eat a LOT of different parts, cheek, lengua,
> > trotters, oxtails, etc.
> >
> > Folks that migrated from little learned to waste not.

> A lot depends on where round these parts are around. I know some folks on the mainland will eat those parts. It's not something I'd associate with white bread America though.

White bread America is a long way from the motherland. A lot of us are
affluent enough to eat only the tender, large muscles.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 10:33 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 7:09:32 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> where do you suppose those Americans came from? They brought all
>> their favorite foods with them because even here in the U,S,, cattle
>> have tails, chicken have feet, etc. Sweetbreads was one of my
>> favorites as a child. I ate pickled pigs feet along with my mom (she
>> loved them) We ate liver. It is only in recent times that people
>> decided they should only eat the big muscle parts. I hate it when
>> sausage advertises that it is made solely with some of the big muscle
>> parts of the animal. We love bacon, sausage and lunch meats that
>> were originally devised to utilize lesser parts of an animal. If you
>> are going to kill an animal for food, you'd better be willing to eat
>> the whole darn thing. End of sermon
>> Janet US

> I never said that people on the mainland don't eat oxtail. I know they do. If you tell me that most people love the stuff over there, I remain unconvinced.

It's not "most" that much I would observe.

But it's up and coming, sort of like lamb shanks are.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 10:35 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 10:32:56 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> We're having sushi for dinner. My husband uses chopsticks because he
>>> likes to dip his rice in soy sauce.

>> Has he ever heard of a fork?

> A fork wouldn't work with sushi. It would break up the rice ball.

A soup spoon wouldn't...

>> Or a spoon to drizzle a little soy sauce over his rice?

> He would still have to pick it up, and it would still be messy.

Botheration...

>> There is some bird that learned how to catch insects in their
>> nest using a stick...isn't there some "intelligent" monkey that
>> has learned the same? lol

> Chopsticks are twice as good as your bird's stick.

They're brilliant (real bamboo ones) to test oil for frying!

>> I'm always amused at how so many people use knives, forks and
>> spoons....yet give them some asian take-out food and they switch
>> to eating with a pair of sticks. heheh

> Why not? It works perfectly well. If chopsticks come in the bag
> with the takeout, why dirty a fork?

Because the motor skills required to manipulate them render the first
few tries haphazard.

> I know you're handicapped; if you were presented with no other option
> than chopsticks you'd have to use your hands. You're more to be
> pitied than scorned.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Wow.

Harsh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 10:36 AM, wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 08:52:49 -0700, Casa estilo antiguo >
> wrote:

>>> Has he ever heard of a fork?
>>> Or a spoon to drizzle a little soy sauce over his rice?
>>>
>>> There is some bird that learned how to catch insects in their
>>> nest using a stick...isn't there some "intelligent" monkey that
>>> has learned the same? lol
>>>
>>> I'm always amused at how so many people use knives, forks and
>>> spoons....yet give them some asian take-out food and they switch
>>> to eating with a pair of sticks. heheh

>> It has one critical advantage, it slows and limits the amount one can
>> shovel in at any one mouthful.
>>
>> That makes for far better digestion.

> Nonsense...

Nope - fact.

A chopstick's worth of stir fry is far less than a fork's load.

Period.

> I've seen many an Oriental shovel food into their maws
> from a bowl with chopsticks nonstop without hardly taking a breath
> until the bowl is empty...

That is basic SOUP etiquette, not stir fry.

And loud slurping is a sign of respect to the cook.

> there is nothing delicate about eating with
> chopsticks.

Yes there is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GDLlETO0-w

> I've observed long ago that if Orientals had snouts
> they'd empty a bowl of moo shu alpo like a famished dog. It's only in
> Hollywood movies where Orientals eat all dainty-like from dinner
> plates, in reality the Oriental eating style is to scoff/slurp down
> grub from bowls like a pack of wild beasts.

You conflate soup with stir fry.

That's almost racist of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a3yxpTIh3s

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 10:37 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 11:59:02 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 1:42:06 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> Shows how little you know about "Americans". I've been eating oxtail all
>>> my life. I just pulled my husband's 1981 Betty Crocker cookbook off the
>>> shelf, and found the recipe for oxtail stew. If I still had my 1960s-vintage
>>> copy, I'm sure it would have the same recipe.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> As a matter of fact, I don't know that much about the people on the mainland. You probably don't know much about the people on this rock.

> Probably more than you'd think. I'm curious about the world and
> will read practically anything.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

+1!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 10:39 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 12:11:22 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 5:17:24 AM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
>>> Round these parts we eat a LOT of different parts, cheek, lengua,
>>> trotters, oxtails, etc.
>>>
>>> Folks that migrated from little learned to waste not.

>> A lot depends on where round these parts are around. I know some folks on the mainland will eat those parts. It's not something I'd associate with white bread America though.

> White bread America is a long way from the motherland. A lot of us are
> affluent enough to eat only the tender, large muscles.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Feh!

Where the fun in that???
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 09:33:48 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 7:09:32 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> where do you suppose those Americans came from? They brought all
>> their favorite foods with them because even here in the U,S,, cattle
>> have tails, chicken have feet, etc. Sweetbreads was one of my
>> favorites as a child. I ate pickled pigs feet along with my mom (she
>> loved them) We ate liver. It is only in recent times that people
>> decided they should only eat the big muscle parts. I hate it when
>> sausage advertises that it is made solely with some of the big muscle
>> parts of the animal. We love bacon, sausage and lunch meats that
>> were originally devised to utilize lesser parts of an animal. If you
>> are going to kill an animal for food, you'd better be willing to eat
>> the whole darn thing. End of sermon
>> Janet US

>I never said that people on the mainland don't eat oxtail. I know they do. If you tell me that most people love the stuff over there, I remain unconvinced.

You said 'eating oxtail hardly seems American" I've expressed that
'Americans' do in fact eat oxtail In fact, it has become hard to find
and very expensive because certain restaurants and areas of the
country make specialties with oxtail. I do not need to show you that
most (what ever that is) Americans eat it. That's a ridiculous
statement like asking do most people on the mainland eat grits? No.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 10:55 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 09:33:48 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 7:09:32 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>>
>>> where do you suppose those Americans came from? They brought all
>>> their favorite foods with them because even here in the U,S,, cattle
>>> have tails, chicken have feet, etc. Sweetbreads was one of my
>>> favorites as a child. I ate pickled pigs feet along with my mom (she
>>> loved them) We ate liver. It is only in recent times that people
>>> decided they should only eat the big muscle parts. I hate it when
>>> sausage advertises that it is made solely with some of the big muscle
>>> parts of the animal. We love bacon, sausage and lunch meats that
>>> were originally devised to utilize lesser parts of an animal. If you
>>> are going to kill an animal for food, you'd better be willing to eat
>>> the whole darn thing. End of sermon
>>> Janet US

>> I never said that people on the mainland don't eat oxtail. I know they do. If you tell me that most people love the stuff over there, I remain unconvinced.

> You said 'eating oxtail hardly seems American" I've expressed that
> 'Americans' do in fact eat oxtail In fact, it has become hard to find
> and very expensive because certain restaurants and areas of the
> country make specialties with oxtail. I do not need to show you that
> most (what ever that is) Americans eat it. That's a ridiculous
> statement like asking do most people on the mainland eat grits? No.
> Janet US

Grits is rare round here, posole and menudo predominate.

Regional cuisines.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-09 10:51 AM, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
> On 1/9/2018 10:37 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> As a matter of fact, I don't know that much about the people on the
>>> mainland. You probably don't know much about the people on this rock.

>> Probably more than you'd think.Â* I'm curious about the world and
>> will read practically anything.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> Â*+1!

Incidentally, isn't the biggest cattle ranch in the US on the Big Island?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 10:59 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-01-09 10:51 AM, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:

>>> Probably more than you'd think.Â* I'm curious about the world and
>>> will read practically anything.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Â*Â*+1!

> Incidentally, isn't the biggest cattle ranch in the US on the Big Island?

http://www.city-data.com/articles/Pa...nd-Hawaii.html

Good catch, sir.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 7:42:54 AM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:

> It's not "most" that much I would observe.
>
> But it's up and coming, sort of like lamb shanks are.

I can totally believe up and coming. The younger generation are more open to these "ethnic" foods. They see themselves as multicultural. That is a good thing. I was surprised when my daughter and brother ordered pork shanks in a restaurant recently. That was downhome upscale food and it was just wonderful stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 11:10 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 7:42:54 AM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
>>
>> It's not "most" that much I would observe.
>>
>> But it's up and coming, sort of like lamb shanks are.

> I can totally believe up and coming. The younger generation are more open to these "ethnic" foods. They see themselves as multicultural. That is a good thing. I was surprised when my daughter and brother ordered pork shanks in a restaurant recently. That was downhome upscale food and it was just wonderful stuff.

I've not tried pork shanks yet, but I will when I find some.

It is true that this whole cuisine blending thing is making for some
amazing opportunities.

That said - ENUF with the sriracha mayo/aioli/etc. on EVERYTHING!

That's so played out, imo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 10:10:22 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 7:42:54 AM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
>>
>> It's not "most" that much I would observe.
>>
>> But it's up and coming, sort of like lamb shanks are.

>I can totally believe up and coming. The younger generation are more open to these "ethnic" foods. They see themselves as multicultural.

dsi1, for all your blanket statements!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 18:21:28 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 9-Jan-2018, wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 1:42:06 AM UTC-10, Cindy
>> Hamilton wrote:
>> >
>> > Shows how little you know about "Americans". I've been
>> > eating oxtail all
>> > my life. I just pulled my husband's 1981 Betty Crocker
>> > cookbook off the
>> > shelf, and found the recipe for oxtail stew. If I still had
>> > my 1960s-vintage
>> > copy, I'm sure it would have the same recipe.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton

>> As a matter of fact, I don't know that much about the people on
>> the mainland. You probably don't know much about the people on
>> this rock.

>If TV portrayals over the years are accurate, they are
>overweight, eat lots of poi with their fingers, roast pigs in a
>hole in the ground, wear grass skirts and love to listen to Don
>Ho and any steel guitar band. 8-)
>
>Probably about as accurate as what they think they know about us.
> ;-)

You forgot the main thing: they are speshial. Ho boy, are they
speshial!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 7:42:54 AM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
>>
>> It's not "most" that much I would observe.
>>
>> But it's up and coming, sort of like lamb shanks are.

>I can totally believe up and coming. The younger generation are more open to these "ethnic" foods. They see themselves as multicultural. That is a good thing. I was surprised when my daughter and brother ordered pork shanks in a restaurant recently. That was downhome upscale food and it was just wonderful stuff.

Up and coming is stupid. Oxtails have been for sale all over the U.S.
since I was a child. Someone must have been buying and eating them.
Up and Coming also applies to Mexican, Thai, etc.

REC salmon croquettes piedmont General Cooking 5 13-05-2010 04:45 PM
Chicken Croquettes?? Jeanne Burton General Cooking 12 07-01-2010 08:18 PM
Egg Croquettes kuyabayu Recipes 1 07-07-2009 06:27 PM
Ham Croquettes Chef R W Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 28-04-2007 04:04 PM