Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Canned wild rice

I finally had a reason to try it. Have been not feeling well on and off for
days and really didn't feel up to cooking just now but wanted soup. So I
used this to make a chicken soup and yes, I used canned chicken as well.
And the end result? Just exactly like it comes out when I cook the rice
myself. I am happy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I finally had a reason to try it. Have been not feeling well on and off for
> days and really didn't feel up to cooking just now but wanted soup. So I
> used this to make a chicken soup and yes, I used canned chicken as well.
> And the end result? Just exactly like it comes out when I cook the rice
> myself. I am happy!

This is good news, Julie. You bought a case based on good reviews.
Good that you tried one before you might depend on it. Now you know
it's a good thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like canned spanish rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I finally had a reason to try it. Have been not feeling well on and off
>for days and really didn't feel up to cooking just now but wanted soup. So
>I used this to make a chicken soup and yes, I used canned chicken as well.
>And the end result? Just exactly like it comes out when I cook the rice
>myself. I am happy!

You posted last week you made soup with canned wild rice. And you raved
about the aroma.

Good on you. Soup is good food, according to Campbell's Soup Company.

Hopefully you will not discover a heretofore unknown near fatal allergy to
wild rice and the subsequent drama.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I finally had a reason to try it. Have been not feeling well on and off
>> for
>> days and really didn't feel up to cooking just now but wanted soup. So I
>> used this to make a chicken soup and yes, I used canned chicken as well.
>> And the end result? Just exactly like it comes out when I cook the rice
>> myself. I am happy!

> This is good news, Julie. You bought a case based on good reviews.
> Good that you tried one before you might depend on it. Now you know
> it's a good thing.

And good on her for actually eating something. Here comes the choo choo -
whoo whoo! There's a good girl!

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 09:34:36 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 07:57:36 -0500, Gary wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I finally had a reason to try it. Have been not feeling well on and off for
>>> days and really didn't feel up to cooking just now but wanted soup. So I
>>> used this to make a chicken soup and yes, I used canned chicken as well.
>>> And the end result? Just exactly like it comes out when I cook the rice
>>> myself. I am happy!

>> This is good news, Julie. You bought a case based on good reviews.
>> Good that you tried one before you might depend on it. Now you know
>> it's a good thing.

>It's still that nasty cultured wild rice. True wild rice is so much
>better than those skinny black mouse turds.
>
>http://www.mooselakewildrice.com/
>
>-sw

"Cultured Wild Rice?" I wasn't able to find a good reference for
this. I see there are farmers? who intentionally grow wild rice in
swamp land they have developed. I don't think that's what you mean?
I'm hung up on the term cultured (like cultured pearls) vs.
cultivated. Explain more please.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 12:50:08 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 10:42:07 -0700, Janet B wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 09:34:36 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>It's still that nasty cultured wild rice. True wild rice is so much
>>>better than those skinny black mouse turds.
>>>
>>>http://www.mooselakewildrice.com/
>>>
>>>-sw

>> "Cultured Wild Rice?" I wasn't able to find a good reference for
>> this. I see there are farmers? who intentionally grow wild rice in
>> swamp land they have developed. I don't think that's what you mean?
>> I'm hung up on the term cultured (like cultured pearls) vs.
>> cultivated. Explain more please.

>Yeah, I meant cultivated. Not cultured. It's the black hulled stuff
>that is selectively bred and planted rather than true wild rice like
>that I pictured above.
>
>They sell both the cultivated and the truly wild stuff (the wild stuff
>being $2/lb more):
>
>http://www.mooselakewildrice.com/sto...x.php?cPath=21
>
>-sw

I don't think I have ever had the all tan, really wild stuff. I may
have had a mixture years ago. Now all I see is the all black skinny
stuff.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-02-10 12:11 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> Good on you. Soup is good food, according to Campbell's Soup Company.
>
> Hopefully you will not discover a heretofore unknown near fatal allergy to
> wild rice and the subsequent drama.

We can only hope that we live to hear the details.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 07:57:36 -0500, Gary wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I finally had a reason to try it. Have been not feeling well on and off
>>> for
>>> days and really didn't feel up to cooking just now but wanted soup. So
>>> used this to make a chicken soup and yes, I used canned chicken as well.
>>> And the end result? Just exactly like it comes out when I cook the rice
>>> myself. I am happy!

>> This is good news, Julie. You bought a case based on good reviews.
>> Good that you tried one before you might depend on it. Now you know
>> it's a good thing.

> It's still that nasty cultured wild rice. True wild rice is so much
> better than those skinny black mouse turds.
>
> http://www.mooselakewildrice.com/
>
> -sw

How is it better?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 12:50:08 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 10:42:07 -0700, Janet B wrote:

>>> "Cultured Wild Rice?" I wasn't able to find a good reference for
>>> this. I see there are farmers? who intentionally grow wild rice in
>>> swamp land they have developed. I don't think that's what you mean?
>>> I'm hung up on the term cultured (like cultured pearls) vs.
>>> cultivated. Explain more please.

>>Yeah, I meant cultivated. Not cultured. It's the black hulled stuff
>>that is selectively bred and planted rather than true wild rice like
>>that I pictured above.
>>
>>They sell both the cultivated and the truly wild stuff (the wild stuff
>>being $2/lb more):
>>
>>http://www.mooselakewildrice.com/sto...x.php?cPath=21
>>
>>-sw

> I don't think I have ever had the all tan, really wild stuff. I may
> have had a mixture years ago. Now all I see is the all black skinny
> stuff.

Me too and even then I have to mail order it. It's hard to find in the
stores here and when I do find it, it's very expensive. Can get it cheaper
online.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I finally had a reason to try it. Have been not feeling well on and off
>>> for
>>> days and really didn't feel up to cooking just now but wanted soup. So
>>> used this to make a chicken soup and yes, I used canned chicken as well.
>>> And the end result? Just exactly like it comes out when I cook the rice
>>> myself. I am happy!

>> This is good news, Julie. You bought a case based on good reviews.
>> Good that you tried one before you might depend on it. Now you know
>> it's a good thing.

> And good on her for actually eating something. Here comes the choo choo -
> whoo whoo! There's a good girl!

Go blow a whale Paul.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I like canned spanish rice.

I bought some many years ago that was good. Can't remember the brand or
where I was living when I bought it. But the only kind I can find now in a
can isn't good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>I finally had a reason to try it. Have been not feeling well on and off
>>for days and really didn't feel up to cooking just now but wanted soup.
>>So I used this to make a chicken soup and yes, I used canned chicken as
>>well. And the end result? Just exactly like it comes out when I cook the
>>rice myself. I am happy!

> You posted last week you made soup with canned wild rice. And you raved
> about the aroma.

No. I said that I made wild rice soup and mentioned that I had bought
canned but hadn't tried it yet.

> Good on you. Soup is good food, according to Campbell's Soup Company.
>
> Hopefully you will not discover a heretofore unknown near fatal allergy to
> wild rice and the subsequent drama.

Thankfully I have no near fatal allergies of any kind. What I have are food
intolerances and they can change. I expect them to after having my thyroid
out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>I finally had a reason to try it. Have been not feeling well on and off
>>>for days and really didn't feel up to cooking just now but wanted soup.
>>>So I used this to make a chicken soup and yes, I used canned chicken as
>>>well. And the end result? Just exactly like it comes out when I cook the
>>>rice myself. I am happy!

>> You posted last week you made soup with canned wild rice. And you raved
>> about the aroma.

> No. I said that I made wild rice soup and mentioned that I had bought
> canned but hadn't tried it yet.
>>
>> Good on you. Soup is good food, according to Campbell's Soup Company.
>>
>> Hopefully you will not discover a heretofore unknown near fatal allergy
>> to wild rice and the subsequent drama.

> Thankfully I have no near fatal allergies of any kind. What I have are
> food intolerances and they can change. I expect them to after having my
> thyroid out.

I'd get an epi pen just in case.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2016 3:54 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> It's still that nasty cultured wild rice. True wild rice is so much
>> better than those skinny black mouse turds.
>>
>> http://www.mooselakewildrice.com/
>>
>> -sw

> How is it better?

It's hand-harvested wild grass seeds, grows wild in lakes and ponds in
the Northern US and Canada.

IMHO it tastes better and has a really nice nutty texture. I doubt
you'd appreciate the difference.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > wrote in message
> > I like canned spanish rice.

> I bought some many years ago that was good. Can't remember the brand
> or where I was living when I bought it. But the only kind I can find
> now in a can isn't good.

I have never noticed canned rice. Could be they don't sell it here. I
*do* recall a rather nice small can at HEB in San Antonio Texas that
was a premade 'spanish rice' seasonings. You added it to cooked rice.

Fortunately for me I have a rice machine (small unit) so even if I
don't feel like cooking, that one is easy. If I'm really lazy, I ask
my daughter to make it (grin).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/10/2016 3:54 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> It's still that nasty cultured wild rice. True wild rice is so much
>>> better than those skinny black mouse turds.
>>>
>>> http://www.mooselakewildrice.com/
>>>
>>> -sw

>> How is it better?

> It's hand-harvested wild grass seeds, grows wild in lakes and ponds in the
> Northern US and Canada.
>
> IMHO it tastes better and has a really nice nutty texture. I doubt you'd
> appreciate the difference.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/10/2016 3:54 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> It's still that nasty cultured wild rice. True wild rice is so much
>>> better than those skinny black mouse turds.
>>>
>>> http://www.mooselakewildrice.com/
>>>
>>> -sw

>> How is it better?

> It's hand-harvested wild grass seeds, grows wild in lakes and ponds in the
> Northern US and Canada.
>
> IMHO it tastes better and has a really nice nutty texture. I doubt you'd
> appreciate the difference.
>
> Jill

Oops. Sent blank reply. I think I may have had some in the past. I do
remember getting some brown stuff but can't remember where I got it. I also
remember tossing out half of the packet because it just didn't have much
flavor. As for food textures, I am big into that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> > wrote in message
>> > I like canned spanish rice.

>> I bought some many years ago that was good. Can't remember the brand
>> or where I was living when I bought it. But the only kind I can find
>> now in a can isn't good.

> I have never noticed canned rice. Could be they don't sell it here. I
> *do* recall a rather nice small can at HEB in San Antonio Texas that
> was a premade 'spanish rice' seasonings. You added it to cooked rice.
>
> Fortunately for me I have a rice machine (small unit) so even if I
> don't feel like cooking, that one is easy. If I'm really lazy, I ask
> my daughter to make it (grin).

I most likely bought it at the military commissary and as I'm sure you know,
they often sell things that you can't get elsewhere. But how can you do
Spanish rice in a rice machine? How would you brown it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 12:58:54 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Thankfully I have no near fatal allergies of any kind. What I have are
>> food
>> intolerances and they can change. I expect them to after having my
>> thyroid
>> out.

> Of course there is absolutely zero credible medical precedence for
> developing food intolerances or allerfies after a thyroidectomy, but
> you just KNOW it will happen. You will MAKE it happen or die trying.

Not developing. But food intolerances can and do change.

I did have some sort of allergic reaction that landed me in the ER but we
don't know what caused it. My Endo. did say that it was likely because of
my thyroid. When your thyroid isn't functioning properly, it affects the
entire body.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 20:14:33 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Of course there is absolutely zero credible medical precedence for
>>> developing food intolerances or allerfies after a thyroidectomy, but
>>> you just KNOW it will happen. You will MAKE it happen or die trying.

>> Not developing. But food intolerances can and do change.

> They can develop over long periods of time, and they'll usually stay.
> They don't flip flop back and forth depending on your latest hair
> follicle tests.

Actually they can. That is why some people have to do the rotation diet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 3:27:22 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> >> Not developing. But food intolerances can and do change.

> > They can develop over long periods of time, and they'll usually stay.
> > They don't flip flop back and forth depending on your latest hair
> > follicle tests.

> Actually they can. That is why some people have to do the rotation diet.

But "those" people believe all of the BS those QUACKS on those QUACK sites put out for the vulnerable hypochondriacs who need a new food fad fix to juice up their dull, unrewarding lives.
Poor pathetic souls.
=====

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 3:27:22 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:

>> > They can develop over long periods of time, and they'll usually stay.
>> > They don't flip flop back and forth depending on your latest hair
>> > follicle tests.

>> Actually they can. That is why some people have to do the rotation diet.

> But "those" people believe all of the BS those QUACKS on those QUACK sites
> put out for the vulnerable hypochondriacs who need a new food fad fix to
> juice up their dull, unrewarding lives.
> Poor pathetic souls.
> =====

My Endo. isn't a quack.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > How is it better?

> > It's hand-harvested wild grass seeds, grows wild in lakes and ponds
> > in the Northern US and Canada.
> >
> > IMHO it tastes better and has a really nice nutty texture. I doubt
> > you'd appreciate the difference.
> >
> > Jill

> Oops. Sent blank reply. I think I may have had some in the past. I
> do remember getting some brown stuff but can't remember where I got
> it. I also remember tossing out half of the packet because it just
> didn't have much flavor. As for food textures, I am big into that.

Don't be too suprised if the taste of brown doesnt appeal. Some love
it (I like it for a variation) but some dislike it (Don and Charlotte).
It's specifically the nutty flavor they feel off putting in a rice.

The texture of brown didnt appeal to me that much but then I am so used
to medium grain sticky, that singlit grain types do not appeal to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > I bought some many years ago that was good. Can't remember the
> > > brand or where I was living when I bought it. But the only kind
> > > I can find now in a can isn't good.

> > I have never noticed canned rice. Could be they don't sell it
> > here. I *do* recall a rather nice small can at HEB in San Antonio
> > Texas that was a premade 'spanish rice' seasonings. You added it
> > to cooked rice.
> >
> > Fortunately for me I have a rice machine (small unit) so even if I
> > don't feel like cooking, that one is easy. If I'm really lazy, I
> > ask my daughter to make it (grin).

> I most likely bought it at the military commissary and as I'm sure
> you know, they often sell things that you can't get elsewhere. But
> how can you do Spanish rice in a rice machine? How would you brown
> it?

Smile, you make the rice then brown it if that particular recipe calls
for browning at all. Fact is there are so many varieties of 'spanish
or mexican rice' that it's very possible you are used to making it
almost rice-a-roni ish where you brown the rice in butter then add the
water and seasonings?

Others use fresh cooked rice which is then lightly stir fried in butter
and olive oil then added spices and tomatoes are added.

A simple sort that is soft and works well is to make a batch of rice
(you'd want about 3 cups yield at least) then add Ro-Tel (or a store
knock off) and heat then serve. Some heat the ro-tel separate in the
microwave then use it to top the rice. While not haute cuisine, it's
simple and fast and in your house may be more effective since people
could chose to top the rice with that or something else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/11/2016 8:38 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Don't be too suprised if the taste of brown doesnt appeal. Some love
> it (I like it for a variation) but some dislike it (Don and Charlotte).
> It's specifically the nutty flavor they feel off putting in a rice.

Don't forget, wild rice is *not* rice. It's grass seed. I love it but
I don't want to eat it all the time. Definitely not enough to think
about buying a case of canned wild rice.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 12:58:54 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > > Thankfully I have no near fatal allergies of any kind. What I
> > > have are food intolerances and they can change. I expect them
> > > to after having my thyroid out.

> > Of course there is absolutely zero credible medical precedence for
> > developing food intolerances or allerfies after a thyroidectomy, but
> > you just KNOW it will happen. You will MAKE it happen or die
> > trying.

> Not developing. But food intolerances can and do change.

This is true. I dealt with it with an elderly rescue dog with all
sorts of allergies. While some things she was solidly allergic to all
the time (wheat, corn), others would come and go. Basically we solved
it at last by realizing we had to swap the food types about so if she
had chicken for 3 days, she got something fish based the next 3 days
then rotated to beef after that and so on.

We had to give her a rest on various things for a bit then she was fine
with it again. Sounds similar to some of your eating needs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 20:14:33 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> have are >>> food

> my >>> thyroid
> > >
> >> Of course there is absolutely zero credible medical precedence for
> >> developing food intolerances or allerfies after a thyroidectomy,

> but >> you just KNOW it will happen. You will MAKE it happen or die
> trying.
> >
> > Not developing. But food intolerances can and do change.

> They can develop over long periods of time, and they'll usually stay.
> They don't flip flop back and forth depending on your latest hair
> follicle tests.
>
> -sw

Actually they can if it's a developing intolerance, not a full blown
allergy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 3:27:22 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:

> > have are >>>> food

> > having my >>>> thyroid

> > for >>> developing food intolerances or allerfies after a
> > thyroidectomy, but >>> you just KNOW it will happen. You will MAKE
> > it happen or die trying.

> > > They can develop over long periods of time, and they'll usually
> > > stay. They don't flip flop back and forth depending on your
> > > latest hair follicle tests.

> > Actually they can. That is why some people have to do the rotation
> > diet.

> But "those" people believe all of the BS those QUACKS on those QUACK
> sites put out for the vulnerable hypochondriacs who need a new food
> fad fix to juice up their dull, unrewarding lives. Poor pathetic
> souls. =====

Roy, my elderly dog with this issue didnt know anything about diets,
hypochondria or anything like that. She just didnt feel well unless we
rotated the diet but she'd have happily eaten the same thing every meal
for the rest of her life and ignore the itches and ear infections (dog
syndrome to an intolerance or developing allergy).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 19:38:20 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > It's hand-harvested wild grass seeds, grows wild in lakes and ponds
>> > in the Northern US and Canada.
>> >
>> > IMHO it tastes better and has a really nice nutty texture. I doubt
>> > you'd appreciate the difference.
>> >
>> > Jill

>> Oops. Sent blank reply. I think I may have had some in the past. I
>> do remember getting some brown stuff but can't remember where I got
>> it. I also remember tossing out half of the packet because it just
>> didn't have much flavor. As for food textures, I am big into that.

>Don't be too suprised if the taste of brown doesnt appeal. Some love
>it (I like it for a variation) but some dislike it (Don and Charlotte).
>It's specifically the nutty flavor they feel off putting in a rice.
>
>The texture of brown didnt appeal to me that much but then I am so used
>to medium grain sticky, that singlit grain types do not appeal to me.

This is different. This isn't rice as you are thinking. Although
called rice it is a grass and is much different than traditional rice.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 19:51:40 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> > Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > I have never noticed canned rice. Could be they don't sell it
>> > here. I *do* recall a rather nice small can at HEB in San Antonio
>> > Texas that was a premade 'spanish rice' seasonings. You added it
>> > to cooked rice.
>> >
>> > Fortunately for me I have a rice machine (small unit) so even if I
>> > don't feel like cooking, that one is easy. If I'm really lazy, I
>> > ask my daughter to make it (grin).

>> I most likely bought it at the military commissary and as I'm sure
>> you know, they often sell things that you can't get elsewhere. But
>> how can you do Spanish rice in a rice machine? How would you brown
>> it?

>Smile, you make the rice then brown it if that particular recipe calls
>for browning at all. Fact is there are so many varieties of 'spanish
>or mexican rice' that it's very possible you are used to making it
>almost rice-a-roni ish where you brown the rice in butter then add the
>water and seasonings?
>
>Others use fresh cooked rice which is then lightly stir fried in butter
>and olive oil then added spices and tomatoes are added.
>
>A simple sort that is soft and works well is to make a batch of rice
>(you'd want about 3 cups yield at least) then add Ro-Tel (or a store
>knock off) and heat then serve. Some heat the ro-tel separate in the
>microwave then use it to top the rice. While not haute cuisine, it's
>simple and fast and in your house may be more effective since people
>could chose to top the rice with that or something else.

The dish is a pilaf and is thousands of years old. Pilaf exists every
where in the world and is made according to local traditions Generally
the basics are rice is 'browned' in a fat, cooked in a broth and
meats/vegetables are added. Rice a Roni, a rice and pasta dish is
still a pilaf.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2/11/2016 8:38 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Don't be too suprised if the taste of brown doesnt appeal. Some
> > love it (I like it for a variation) but some dislike it (Don and
> > Charlotte). It's specifically the nutty flavor they feel off
> > putting in a rice.

> Don't forget, wild rice is not rice. It's grass seed. I love it but
> I don't want to eat it all the time. Definitely not enough to think
> about buying a case of canned wild rice.
>
> Jill

I didnt. I speifically was talking Brown rice. Julie shifted to
address brown rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 19:51:40 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> kind >> > > I can find now in a can isn't good.

> I >> > don't feel like cooking, that one is easy. If I'm really
> lazy, I >> > ask my daughter to make it (grin).
> >>
> >> I most likely bought it at the military commissary and as I'm sure
> >> you know, they often sell things that you can't get elsewhere. But
> >> how can you do Spanish rice in a rice machine? How would you brown
> >> it?

> > Smile, you make the rice then brown it if that particular recipe
> > calls for browning at all. Fact is there are so many varieties of
> > 'spanish or mexican rice' that it's very possible you are used to
> > making it almost rice-a-roni ish where you brown the rice in butter
> > then add the water and seasonings?
> >
> > Others use fresh cooked rice which is then lightly stir fried in
> > butter and olive oil then added spices and tomatoes are added.
> >
> > A simple sort that is soft and works well is to make a batch of rice
> > (you'd want about 3 cups yield at least) then add Ro-Tel (or a store
> > knock off) and heat then serve. Some heat the ro-tel separate in
> > the microwave then use it to top the rice. While not haute
> > cuisine, it's simple and fast and in your house may be more
> > effective since people could chose to top the rice with that or
> > something else.

> The dish is a pilaf and is thousands of years old. Pilaf exists every
> where in the world and is made according to local traditions Generally
> the basics are rice is 'browned' in a fat, cooked in a broth and
> meats/vegetables are added. Rice a Roni, a rice and pasta dish is
> still a pilaf.
> Janet US

Hi Janet, not all 'spanish rice' types are a pilaf. Julies might be,
mine isnt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> > Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > I have never noticed canned rice. Could be they don't sell it
>> > here. I *do* recall a rather nice small can at HEB in San Antonio
>> > Texas that was a premade 'spanish rice' seasonings. You added it
>> > to cooked rice.
>> >
>> > Fortunately for me I have a rice machine (small unit) so even if I
>> > don't feel like cooking, that one is easy. If I'm really lazy, I
>> > ask my daughter to make it (grin).

>> I most likely bought it at the military commissary and as I'm sure
>> you know, they often sell things that you can't get elsewhere. But
>> how can you do Spanish rice in a rice machine? How would you brown
>> it?

> Smile, you make the rice then brown it if that particular recipe calls
> for browning at all. Fact is there are so many varieties of 'spanish
> or mexican rice' that it's very possible you are used to making it
> almost rice-a-roni ish where you brown the rice in butter then add the
> water and seasonings?

That makes no sense. The rice should be browned before cooking for Spanish
rice. And I don't use butter but olive oil. But yes, that is how it should
be done.

> Others use fresh cooked rice which is then lightly stir fried in butter
> and olive oil then added spices and tomatoes are added.

Have never ever seen such a recipe. Never.

> A simple sort that is soft and works well is to make a batch of rice
> (you'd want about 3 cups yield at least) then add Ro-Tel (or a store
> knock off) and heat then serve. Some heat the ro-tel separate in the
> microwave then use it to top the rice. While not haute cuisine, it's
> simple and fast and in your house may be more effective since people
> could chose to top the rice with that or something else.

No thanks. That is not how I make it at all. Actually I don't make it at
all now since I was the only one who really liked it. And I can't have rice
now. For me, Spanish rice has meat in it and is a meal. Mexican rice
shouldn't have any chunks of stuff in it. Unless of course you are doing
something like cilantro lime rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 19:51:40 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> I most likely bought it at the military commissary and as I'm sure
>>> you know, they often sell things that you can't get elsewhere. But
>>> how can you do Spanish rice in a rice machine? How would you brown
>>> it?

>>Smile, you make the rice then brown it if that particular recipe calls
>>for browning at all. Fact is there are so many varieties of 'spanish
>>or mexican rice' that it's very possible you are used to making it
>>almost rice-a-roni ish where you brown the rice in butter then add the
>>water and seasonings?
>>
>>Others use fresh cooked rice which is then lightly stir fried in butter
>>and olive oil then added spices and tomatoes are added.
>>
>>A simple sort that is soft and works well is to make a batch of rice
>>(you'd want about 3 cups yield at least) then add Ro-Tel (or a store
>>knock off) and heat then serve. Some heat the ro-tel separate in the
>>microwave then use it to top the rice. While not haute cuisine, it's
>>simple and fast and in your house may be more effective since people
>>could chose to top the rice with that or something else.

> The dish is a pilaf and is thousands of years old. Pilaf exists every
> where in the world and is made according to local traditions Generally
> the basics are rice is 'browned' in a fat, cooked in a broth and
> meats/vegetables are added. Rice a Roni, a rice and pasta dish is
> still a pilaf.
> Janet US

Not according to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilaf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 17:20:04 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> But "those" people believe all of the BS those QUACKS on those QUACK
>>> sites
>>> put out for the vulnerable hypochondriacs who need a new food fad fix to
>>> juice up their dull, unrewarding lives.
>>> Poor pathetic souls.
>>> =====

>> My Endo. isn't a quack.

> But the rotation diet IS a quack.

No.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > Of course there is absolutely zero credible medical precedence for
>> > developing food intolerances or allerfies after a thyroidectomy, but
>> > you just KNOW it will happen. You will MAKE it happen or die
>> > trying.

>> Not developing. But food intolerances can and do change.

> This is true. I dealt with it with an elderly rescue dog with all
> sorts of allergies. While some things she was solidly allergic to all
> the time (wheat, corn), others would come and go. Basically we solved
> it at last by realizing we had to swap the food types about so if she
> had chicken for 3 days, she got something fish based the next 3 days
> then rotated to beef after that and so on.
>
> We had to give her a rest on various things for a bit then she was fine
> with it again. Sounds similar to some of your eating needs.

It would seem that a lot of people who don't suffer from this, think it just
doesn't really exist.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > It's hand-harvested wild grass seeds, grows wild in lakes and ponds
>> > in the Northern US and Canada.
>> >
>> > IMHO it tastes better and has a really nice nutty texture. I doubt
>> > you'd appreciate the difference.
>> >
>> > Jill

>> Oops. Sent blank reply. I think I may have had some in the past. I
>> do remember getting some brown stuff but can't remember where I got
>> it. I also remember tossing out half of the packet because it just
>> didn't have much flavor. As for food textures, I am big into that.

> Don't be too suprised if the taste of brown doesnt appeal. Some love
> it (I like it for a variation) but some dislike it (Don and Charlotte).
> It's specifically the nutty flavor they feel off putting in a rice.
>
> The texture of brown didnt appeal to me that much but then I am so used
> to medium grain sticky, that singlit grain types do not appeal to me.

I assume you are referring to brown wild rice?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/11/2016 8:38 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Don't be too suprised if the taste of brown doesnt appeal. Some love
>> it (I like it for a variation) but some dislike it (Don and Charlotte).
>> It's specifically the nutty flavor they feel off putting in a rice.

> Don't forget, wild rice is *not* rice. It's grass seed. I love it but I
> don't want to eat it all the time. Definitely not enough to think about
> buying a case of canned wild rice.

A case isn't all that much. 12 cans, I think. And it will keep for a while.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On 2/11/2016 8:38 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> > Don't be too suprised if the taste of brown doesnt appeal. Some
>> > love it (I like it for a variation) but some dislike it (Don and
>> > Charlotte). It's specifically the nutty flavor they feel off
>> > putting in a rice.

>> Don't forget, wild rice is not rice. It's grass seed. I love it but
>> I don't want to eat it all the time. Definitely not enough to think
>> about buying a case of canned wild rice.
>>
>> Jill

> I didnt. I speifically was talking Brown rice. Julie shifted to
> address brown rice.

Nonsense. We were talking about wild rice. I can't eat regular rice so I
now eat wild rice. What I bought was the black, cultivated and some here
told me that the brown *wild* rice is better tasting.