Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Fine for AC

Je_us wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 21:48:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> > On 7/3/2015 8:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >> I really can't believe this! Auburn (city near here) residents

> will be >> fined $30 per day if they use window AC.
> > >

> http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/mess...ur-air-conditi
> oner-and-you/nmq6s/
> >
> > Hard to say who is dumber. The HOA board or the people that live
> > in a neighborhood governed by an HOA. Like living in a little
> > dictatorship.

> Sounds much like something we have here in Aus called 'strata title'.
> IMO you'd need your head examined to want to live under such an
> autonomous authority.

Yeah, when we bought our house, we made sure there was no HOA. I've
heard of later ones that tried to force owners before it started make
them enter but generally they have no luck at that. Some exceptions we
see here, but not many.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 12:41 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 7/4/2015 11:22 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 11:10:42 AM UTC-4, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> I can see
>>> the usefulness of having some rules to deal with messy properties,
>>> barking dogs, whatever. Overall, it doesn't appeal to me, either.

>> And that's what a good municipal government is for. Regrettably,
>> some areas have ceded their responsibilities to HOAs.

> Unless it's a real nuisance or a safety issue, my town isn't
> going to do a lot about it. I don't even think it's illegal to
> have a barking dog, though if it's during sleeping hours they
> might send a cop over.
>
> An HOA could have stricter rules, I believe, than the general
> voting public would tolerate.
>
> nancy

It's a bit ridiculous for a home owners association to fine people for
having window AC's... unless the people who put them in ignored existing
rules and did it anyway. Even with that, it's a heat wave. People need
to stay cool. Wait until it's over before you go around fining people
for trying to be comfortable.

Very young, elderly and ill people die all the time due to not even
having a simple fan in the house. Seems like every year on the news
there is a call for people to donate fans to those who don't have AC.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 1:08 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/4/2015 12:41 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> An HOA could have stricter rules, I believe, than the general
>> voting public would tolerate.

> It's a bit ridiculous for a home owners association to fine people for
> having window AC's... unless the people who put them in ignored existing
> rules and did it anyway.

That's exactly what they did. Those are the rules they agreed to
when they moved there.

> Even with that, it's a heat wave. People need
> to stay cool. Wait until it's over before you go around fining people
> for trying to be comfortable.

Agreed, but then I know people will say But I spent all this money
on it, I don't want to buy the right kind now, next thing you know
it's unenforceable because these people are setting a precedent.

> Very young, elderly and ill people die all the time due to not even
> having a simple fan in the house. Seems like every year on the news
> there is a call for people to donate fans to those who don't have AC.

I grew up without air conditioning, but the idea of living in the
south without it, I couldn't do it. I just can't take the heat.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 21:48:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> Hard to say who is dumber. The HOA board or the people that live in a
> neighborhood governed by an HOA. Like living in a little dictatorship.

I like HOAs because I can live in a house for decades and never see a
boat parked in the driveway next door.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 11:19 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 21:48:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> Hard to say who is dumber. The HOA board or the people that live in a
>> neighborhood governed by an HOA. Like living in a little dictatorship.

> I like HOAs because I can live in a house for decades and never see a
> boat parked in the driveway next door.

Digging that!

And no tires on the roof either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 17:54:50 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 7/3/2015 2:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > I really can't believe this! Auburn (city near here) residents will be
> > fined $30 per day if they use window AC.
> >
> > http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/mess...and-you/nmq6s/
> >

> This reminds me - I have to get a window AC. It's amazing that they're
> so cheap. Thank you Jesus!

Yes! We went up a little past Sacramento for a birthday party last
month and it was horribly hot. Fortunately, they had bought one of
those window air conditioners and had set up a canopy over the deck so
we were pretty comfortable between the shade of the canopy and the
coolness of the kitchen.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-04, jmcquown > wrote:

> to stay cool. Wait until it's over before you go around fining people

I'm sure they'd back off, jes as soon as someone sues the crap outta
the HOA for responsibility of a member's death.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-04, Nancy Young > wrote:

> I just can't take the heat.

So, you continue to live there, why?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 09:48:45 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> Much nit picking could have been avoided has she added the word "some"
> in front of Auburn. OTOH, it gave a few people a delightful opportunity
> to pounce on the poster.

10, to be exact. "Ten letters from the Lakeland Homeowners
Association Board of Directors have been sent out to residents that
warn of fines of $30 a day for not removing window air conditioners."

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message

>On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 21:48:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski >
>wrote:

>> Hard to say who is dumber. The HOA board or the people that
>> live in a
>> neighborhood governed by an HOA. Like living in a little
>> dictatorship.

>I like HOAs because I can live in a house for decades and never
>see a
>boat parked in the driveway next door.

So they have no problem with the chicken coop and old cars in
the back yard?

Just kidding of course. You're a pig but thats nobody else's
business.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 1:15 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> I grew up without air conditioning, but the idea of living in the
> south without it, I couldn't do it. I just can't take the heat.
>
> nancy

I grew up without air conditioning, too.

The South isn't really a great place for me to live since I don't
tolerate heat well. I just wound up here.

I collapsed on the tarmac just getting off the plane in Bangkok. My
father installed window AC's in all the bedrooms of the house he rented
there because I'd get sick on the bus coming home from school. First
thing I did when I got home from school was go up to the bedroom to lie
down.

We lived there for two years but I never did acclaimate to that heat.
The natives were running around wearing sweaters in the winter when it
was 70F degrees and I was saying "oh, nice!"

South Carolina isn't *that* bad, but I wouldn't want to be without my
AC. I have central AC. I had to do without it for a few days a few
years ago when a part on the fan broke. The AC repair folks had to
order the part. Then there was some big snafu at the warehouse with
getting the part. It took four or five days and it was June and I was
miserable.

The repair company brought me a portable AC for the bedroom. That way I
could at least sleep at night. Unfortunately, all the windows are
verticle crank style. The way the alarm is wired on the windows there
was no way to remove the screens to vent the hose to the outside. He
said well, you'll have to close the bedroom door and vent the hot air
into the living room. So I did. I was finally able to get a good
nights sleep! (I only ran it at night.) The rest of the house was hot,
hot, hot (even with fans running and windows open).

Must have AC. But a portable AC wouldn't work well in my house. Nor
would a regular window unit. Stupid crank windows. (laugh)

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 1:29 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2015-07-04, Nancy Young > wrote:
>
>> I just can't take the heat.

> So, you continue to live there, why?

Where?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 13:08:28 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/4/2015 12:41 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> And that's what a good municipal government is for. Regrettably,
>>> some areas have ceded their responsibilities to HOAs.

>> Unless it's a real nuisance or a safety issue, my town isn't
>> going to do a lot about it. I don't even think it's illegal to
>> have a barking dog, though if it's during sleeping hours they
>> might send a cop over.
>>
>> An HOA could have stricter rules, I believe, than the general
>> voting public would tolerate.
>>
>> nancy

>It's a bit ridiculous for a home owners association to fine people for
>having window AC's... unless the people who put them in ignored existing
>rules and did it anyway. Even with that, it's a heat wave. People need
>to stay cool. Wait until it's over before you go around fining people
>for trying to be comfortable.
>
>Very young, elderly and ill people die all the time due to not even
>having a simple fan in the house. Seems like every year on the news
>there is a call for people to donate fans to those who don't have AC.
>
>Jill

seems to me the letter could say something like 'we understand that
due to abnormal heat, some of our residents have had to resort to
window air conditioners. These units are against the HOA rules,
however, due to special circumstances, the units will be allowed.
Please understand that these units must be removed by August 31 or
fines will ensue.'
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-04, Nancy Young > wrote:

>> On 2015-07-04, Nancy Young > wrote:

>>> I just can't take the heat.

>> So, you continue to live there, why?

> Where?

Where you "can't take the heat"!!

What? rfc is suffering a mass attack of the stupids?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 1:19 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 21:48:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> Hard to say who is dumber. The HOA board or the people that live in a
>> neighborhood governed by an HOA. Like living in a little dictatorship.

> I like HOAs because I can live in a house for decades and never see a
> boat parked in the driveway next door.

HOA's are good for some thngs, I'll admit. Sure, sometimes they get out
of hand. But I don't see boats in driveways. No RV's, either. (Dataw
actually has a place for RV's to park if you happen to have friends or
relatives who are driving one.) You certainly won't find any cars on
blocks in driveways nor broken down appliances sitting on someone's
front porch.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 1:45 PM, notbob wrote:

>>> So, you continue to live there, why?

>> Where?

> Where you "can't take the heat"!!
>
> What? rfc is suffering a mass attack of the stupids?

Well, I'm not the one having trouble following along.

Jill lives in the south. I'm sure you know that. She said
that every year there are calls for people to donate fans
for people who don't have a/c. I said the idea of living in
the south without a/c, I couldn't do it.

I, myself, do not live in the south. I do, however, have
air conditioning up here in the north, and wouldn't want to
do without it even here, though it would be more doable. I'm
not moving to Alaska to have zero a/c days.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 1:29 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2015-07-04, Nancy Young > wrote:
>
>> I just can't take the heat.

> So, you continue to live there, why?
>
> nb

Where would you like me to go? Never mind, don't answer that.

Moving is a Pain in the Ass. I will not go into the other reasons yet
again.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 1:41 PM, Janet B wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 13:08:28 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>

>> It's a bit ridiculous for a home owners association to fine people for
>> having window AC's... unless the people who put them in ignored existing
>> rules and did it anyway. Even with that, it's a heat wave. People need
>> to stay cool. Wait until it's over before you go around fining people
>> for trying to be comfortable.
>>
>> Very young, elderly and ill people die all the time due to not even
>> having a simple fan in the house. Seems like every year on the news
>> there is a call for people to donate fans to those who don't have AC.
>>
>> Jill

> seems to me the letter could say something like 'we understand that
> due to abnormal heat, some of our residents have had to resort to
> window air conditioners. These units are against the HOA rules,
> however, due to special circumstances, the units will be allowed.
> Please understand that these units must be removed by August 31 or
> fines will ensue.'
> Janet US

I completely agree, Janet. That would make much more sense than the HOA
Board (who were probably enjoying central AC while discussing this in
the meeting) immediately fining people for trying to stay cool for a few
months.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-04, Nancy Young > wrote:

> Well, I'm not the one having trouble following along.

Did I get some quotes wrong?

> air conditioning up here in the north, and wouldn't want to
> do without it even here.....

That's cuz you obviously live East of the Rockies, which every state
fitting that parameter has VERY high humidity. The 13 Western states (look
it up) do not have high humidity. I usta live in CA. Hi temps, but
low humidity. I now live in CO. Low humidity AND temps. The record
high temp where I now live is 91F! Humidity never get's too much
above 50%, except in late afternoon when it clouds over and the temps
drop to awesomely comfortable.

On 2nd thought, don't move here. Too many tourists, already.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 11:37 AM, Acme Bully Control wrote:

> "sf" wrote in message ...
>
>> On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 21:48:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> Hard to say who is dumber. The HOA board or the people that live in a
>>> neighborhood governed by an HOA. Like living in a little dictatorship.

>> I like HOAs because I can live in a house for decades and never see a
>> boat parked in the driveway next door.

> So they have no problem with the chicken coop and old cars in the back
> yard?
>
> Just kidding of course. You're a pig but thats nobody else's business.

Bodine Fraud Alert.
Microsoft Windows Live Mail 16.4.3528.331

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 3:04:40 PM UTC-10, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> On 7/3/2015 7:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > I really can't believe this! Auburn (city near here) residents will be
> > fined $30 per day if they use window AC.
> >
> > http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/mess...and-you/nmq6s/
> >

> A perfect example of a HOA running amok.
>
> --
> DreadfulBitch
>
> I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.

Petty, vindictive, unimaginative, inflexible, and into other people's business - but enough about RFC... Hee hee hee.

The Board of Directors for the HOA is charged with enforcing the rules and restrictions of the condo. It's their duty to act in a responsible manner. If I was on the board, I'd come up with some way to defer any action for a few months. There's all kinds of ways to do this. Create a panel to suggestion suitable AC units for the condo. Condo boards that lack imagination and heart are a real drag.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 6:17:18 PM UTC-10, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/3/2015 9:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On 7/3/2015 2:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >> I really can't believe this! Auburn (city near here) residents will be
> >> fined $30 per day if they use window AC.
> >>
> >> http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/mess...and-you/nmq6s/
> >>

> > This reminds me - I have to get a window AC. It's amazing that they're
> > so cheap. Thank you Jesus!

> No, no, no...Jesus is all about box fans.

I love Jesus and all but I don't know if endure the heat like he did. Heck, he probably used palm fronds. Hee hee.

> But he's big on pocket fisherman!

Who the heck doesn't love Pocket Fisherman!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 6:59:07 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> > On 7/3/2015 2:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >> I really can't believe this! Auburn (city near here) residents will be
> >> fined $30 per day if they use window AC.
> >>
> >> http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/mess...and-you/nmq6s/
> >>

> > This reminds me - I have to get a window AC. It's amazing that they're so
> > cheap. Thank you Jesus!

> Yes they are. Odd thing is after I reported that our neighbor had one, they
> took it out. I wonder why? People are going absolutely nuts around here
> trying to cool down. It is hot enough now that fans aren't really cutting
> it. My swamp cooler is supposed to come on the 7th. I hope so. Still no
> end in sight for this heat. Or drought.
>
> I am now hearing fireworks going off and that scares me. I did wet down the
> yard earlier but of course it dried quickly. The fire department is telling
> us to keep wetting it lightly as often as we can. If we wait until tomorrow
> to start, it won't do much good. I had already figured that out on my own,
> knowing how totally dry dirt just repels the water instead of acting like a
> sponge.
>
> We have fires everywhere now. 15 of which were set of by two idiot 50 year
> old males, throwing flares from a car window and many others from fireworks.

Looks like it's gonna be a long hot summer! God help us all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 12:26 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 6:17:18 PM UTC-10, Acme Bully Control wrote:

>>> This reminds me - I have to get a window AC. It's amazing that they're
>>> so cheap. Thank you Jesus!

>> No, no, no...Jesus is all about box fans.

> I love Jesus and all but I don't know if endure the heat like he did. Heck, he probably used palm fronds. Hee hee.

Whilst Caaiphas soaked in his hot tub, lol...

>> But he's big on pocket fisherman!

> Who the heck doesn't love Pocket Fisherman!

Teach a man to fish and....

No carping please!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 12:26 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 6:59:07 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> This reminds me - I have to get a window AC. It's amazing that they're so
>>> cheap. Thank you Jesus!

>> Yes they are. Odd thing is after I reported that our neighbor had one, they
>> took it out. I wonder why? People are going absolutely nuts around here
>> trying to cool down. It is hot enough now that fans aren't really cutting
>> it. My swamp cooler is supposed to come on the 7th. I hope so. Still no
>> end in sight for this heat. Or drought.
>>
>> I am now hearing fireworks going off and that scares me. I did wet down the
>> yard earlier but of course it dried quickly. The fire department is telling
>> us to keep wetting it lightly as often as we can. If we wait until tomorrow
>> to start, it won't do much good. I had already figured that out on my own,
>> knowing how totally dry dirt just repels the water instead of acting like a
>> sponge.
>>
>> We have fires everywhere now. 15 of which were set of by two idiot 50 year
>> old males, throwing flares from a car window and many others from fireworks.

> Looks like it's gonna be a long hot summer! God help us all.

Or...

http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/db_...10&commit=Show

Ooooh..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 12:21 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 3:04:40 PM UTC-10, DreadfulBitch wrote:
>> On 7/3/2015 7:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I really can't believe this! Auburn (city near here) residents will be
>>> fined $30 per day if they use window AC.
>>>
>>> http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/mess...and-you/nmq6s/
>>>

>> A perfect example of a HOA running amok.
>>
>> --
>> DreadfulBitch
>>
>> I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.

> Petty, vindictive, unimaginative, inflexible, and into other people's business - but enough about RFC... Hee hee hee.
>
> The Board of Directors for the HOA is charged with enforcing the rules and restrictions of the condo. It's their duty to act in a responsible manner. If I was on the board, I'd come up with some way to defer any action for a few months. There's all kinds of ways to do this. Create a panel to suggestion suitable AC units for the condo. Condo boards that lack imagination and heart are a real drag.

Nicely analyzed and dealt with.

You sound like you ARE on a condo board...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 8:30:00 AM UTC-10, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/4/2015 12:26 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> No, no, no...Jesus is all about box fans.

> > I love Jesus and all but I don't know if endure the heat like he did. Heck, he probably used palm fronds. Hee hee.

> Whilst Caaiphas soaked in his hot tub, lol...
>

> >> But he's big on pocket fisherman!

> > Who the heck doesn't love Pocket Fisherman!

> Teach a man to fish and....
>
> No carping please!

If they had Pocket Fisherman back in those days, you can bet that the fish they would probably be catching is tilapia. Good God! :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 8:39:50 AM UTC-10, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/4/2015 12:21 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> A perfect example of a HOA running amok.
> >>
> >> --
> >> DreadfulBitch
> >>
> >> I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.

> > Petty, vindictive, unimaginative, inflexible, and into other people's business - but enough about RFC... Hee hee hee.
> >
> > The Board of Directors for the HOA is charged with enforcing the rules and restrictions of the condo. It's their duty to act in a responsible manner. If I was on the board, I'd come up with some way to defer any action for a few months. There's all kinds of ways to do this. Create a panel to suggestion suitable AC units for the condo. Condo boards that lack imagination and heart are a real drag.
> >

> Nicely analyzed and dealt with.
>
> You sound like you ARE on a condo board...

I was for a couple of years. At the last meeting of the HOA during my term, we had to pay the cops to do the security detail. We filled an entire school auditorium. You might say we shook up heaven and earth. Sometimes, doing the right thing will upset people. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 12:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 8:30:00 AM UTC-10, Acme Bully Control wrote:

>>> I love Jesus and all but I don't know if endure the heat like he did. Heck, he probably used palm fronds. Hee hee.

>> Whilst Caaiphas soaked in his hot tub, lol...

>>> Who the heck doesn't love Pocket Fisherman!

>> Teach a man to fish and....
>>
>> No carping please!

> If they had Pocket Fisherman back in those days, you can bet that the fish they would probably be catching is tilapia. Good God! :-)

Egyptian carp!?!!

Let's here it for unleavened bread and a good long walk...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 12:59 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 8:39:50 AM UTC-10, Acme Bully Control wrote:

>>> Petty, vindictive, unimaginative, inflexible, and into other people's business - but enough about RFC... Hee hee hee.
>>>
>>> The Board of Directors for the HOA is charged with enforcing the rules and restrictions of the condo. It's their duty to act in a responsible manner. If I was on the board, I'd come up with some way to defer any action for a few months. There's all kinds of ways to do this. Create a panel to suggestion suitable AC units for the condo. Condo boards that lack imagination and heart are a real drag.
>>>

>> Nicely analyzed and dealt with.
>>
>> You sound like you ARE on a condo board...

> I was for a couple of years. At the last meeting of the HOA during my term, we had to pay the cops to do the security detail. We filled an entire school auditorium. You might say we shook up heaven and earth. Sometimes, doing the right thing will upset people. That's the breaks.

Digging that my man, digging that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 1:54 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

> Jill lives in the south. I'm sure you know that. She said
> that every year there are calls for people to donate fans
> for people who don't have a/c. I said the idea of living in
> the south without a/c, I couldn't do it.

Neither could I. I have to wonder though. what happens to all those
fans. Didn't they get one last year?

I do feel bad for some of the people. If you have a minimum wage job
and a kid, $179 for an AC is tough to come by. But it seems that some
older people suffer because they won't part with the money to buy an AC.
At least a small one for the bedroom. You can hide in there most of
the day and be able to sleep at night.

> I, myself, do not live in the south. I do, however, have
> air conditioning up here in the north, and wouldn't want to
> do without it even here, though it would be more doable. I'm
> not moving to Alaska to have zero a/c days.
>
> nancy

So far this season, we used the bedroom AC two nights. This week is
going to be a bit warmer so it will get used. Right now in the family
room it is 71 degrees with the slider open. That AC has not been turned
on yet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 7/4/2015 9:07 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>

>> Quite a different story. Anyway, the residents knew the rule,
>> they bought the wrong kind of A/C anyway. So if enough residents
>> don't like the rule, they need to get together, figure out how to
>> change the rule, and do that.
>>
>> Or get the kind of a/c permitted and retain the nice appearance
>> of their development.
>>
>> nancy

> Yea, but. . .
>
> While you are technically correct, the circumstances are a bit unusual.
> Hotter than normal weather hit the area. AC was not needed in that area
> in the past. The portable type of AC may not have been readily available
> at the time.

Yes. You can find window units even at some drug and grocery stores. You
can't find portable ones in too many places and if you want one you might
have to go online. When I did look at Amazon, many of those units take 2-5
months to ship. Now you could get lucky like my friend did. She got one
for cheap at the store where her husband works. But normally they are not
even something you'd see in a store here.

> Are you going to deny comfort to an 85 year old resident that is able to
> get a $150 room AC for relief? I bet a few residents could get a doctor
> to claim it was an emergency medical necessity.
>
> I'd stick it in a back window and screw the HOA. OTOH, I'd never live in a
> place with an HOA in the first place.

I'm with you!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/4/2015 12:41 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> And that's what a good municipal government is for. Regrettably,
>>> some areas have ceded their responsibilities to HOAs.

>> Unless it's a real nuisance or a safety issue, my town isn't
>> going to do a lot about it. I don't even think it's illegal to
>> have a barking dog, though if it's during sleeping hours they
>> might send a cop over.
>>
>> An HOA could have stricter rules, I believe, than the general
>> voting public would tolerate.
>>
>> nancy

> It's a bit ridiculous for a home owners association to fine people for
> having window AC's... unless the people who put them in ignored existing
> rules and did it anyway. Even with that, it's a heat wave. People need
> to stay cool. Wait until it's over before you go around fining people for
> trying to be comfortable.
>
> Very young, elderly and ill people die all the time due to not even having
> a simple fan in the house. Seems like every year on the news there is a
> call for people to donate fans to those who don't have AC.

Yes. Apparently many seniors have no fans. My mom doesn't because she got
rid of them all when she moved into the assisted living with AC. She also
had to have 911 called for her a few years back because she was overdressed
and didn't realize that she was overheating. Had on a jacket and winter
coat in the summer. She keeps thinking it's freezing outside when it's
really hot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 7/4/2015 1:54 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>

>> Jill lives in the south. I'm sure you know that. She said
>> that every year there are calls for people to donate fans
>> for people who don't have a/c. I said the idea of living in
>> the south without a/c, I couldn't do it.

> Neither could I. I have to wonder though. what happens to all those fans.
> Didn't they get one last year?
>
> I do feel bad for some of the people. If you have a minimum wage job and
> a kid, $179 for an AC is tough to come by. But it seems that some older
> people suffer because they won't part with the money to buy an AC. At
> least a small one for the bedroom. You can hide in there most of the day
> and be able to sleep at night.
>>

>> I, myself, do not live in the south. I do, however, have
>> air conditioning up here in the north, and wouldn't want to
>> do without it even here, though it would be more doable. I'm
>> not moving to Alaska to have zero a/c days.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> So far this season, we used the bedroom AC two nights. This week is going
> to be a bit warmer so it will get used. Right now in the family room it
> is 71 degrees with the slider open. That AC has not been turned on yet.

We have a small portable a/c unit similar to this one:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/1816822.htm

We never need it at home but we do bring it with us to our holiday caravan
if we are down south. Unfortunately we didn't think we would need it where
we are now

This could be used in the sitting room during the day and moved to the
bedroom at night.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-04 1:01 PM, cshenk wrote:

> We had a crazy lady here a decade ago. She wanted to start an HOA in
> an established neighborhood. Basically she wanted to control everyone.
> It was full of silly things like no apple trees (she's allergic to
> apple pollen), fines for walkways that were not totally smoothe (city
> issue, they get to them in time), street gutters not cleared within 2
> hours of a storm (timing wrong, also some elderly can't do it so the
> rest of us do it for them).
>
> She also wanted all houses painted a particular set of shades (most of
> us are vinal so paint is not an option). She even went further that no
> house should have a dual driveway and those (like me) should pay to
> have the extra one removed yet she also wanted no cars parked on the
> street. Crazy person.
>
> We just laughed and she moved out to someplace she could control.

There are petty and self centered people everywhere. I have issues with
the local leash free dog park and the sisterhood of stupidity that
thinks they run it. They have a FaceBook page to discuss issues. I
discovered that they don't tolerate disagreeing with their idiotic
ideas. Not only to the idiots gang up on dissenters, they discovered
that they can block those who do not conform to their idiotic ideas.

For instance, this spring they suggested that the park be closed for
the month of April because of the mud. Those of us who use the park
daily didn't care about the mud, but they said we were selfish and that
our dogs were destroying the park. I pointed out that town was not going
to do anything to improve the drainage and was not going to sod or
reseed the muddy part, so there was no point in closing it if no work
was to be done. We had moved away from the muddy area. They said that
we would just ruin the grass on the rest of the park. A couple of us
dug a small trench to help with the drainage, and that did more than
anything else the town did.

One of the advocates for closing it was in Florida for the winter, so it
made no difference to her if the park was open or closed, but it didn't
stop her from lobbying hard to close it. Then she ended up coming back
in the middle of April and posted before she left asking whether it
would be dry enough for her to bring her dog in a couple days.

There had also been a suggestion that the set aside times each week for
old and disabled dogs, the type who can't play. If a dog can't play and
socialize, there is no reason to take it to a dog park where the idea is
for the dogs to socialize and play. Same dummy from above had had to
put down her older dog, the one who could not get along with other dogs.
She pushed it on the basis of how much her late dog would have
approved. Excuse the hell out of me, but I don't give rat's ass about
her late dog and have no interest in some sort of memorial hour for the
miserable old mutt.

I had fought that all along, insisting that the park should be open to
as many people and their dogs as possible at all times and that no one
was likely to use it during the restricted times. I also pointed out
that the park is empty for most of the day, so anyone who has a special
needs dog could come during those quiet times. At first they agreed.
Last month they introduced a new (but unenforced) rule that Sunday from
10-11 is for old, quiet dogs. They are counting on cooperation. They
don't get it from me. I have made a point of going there on Sunday
mornings at 10 with my old but rowdy dog. Just as I suspected, there
were no special needs dogs. I have a lot of support for the regulars
and we are all going to be there tomorrow at 10.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-04 1:19 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 21:48:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> Hard to say who is dumber. The HOA board or the people that live in a
>> neighborhood governed by an HOA. Like living in a little dictatorship.

> I like HOAs because I can live in a house for decades and never see a
> boat parked in the driveway next door.

There is that to it. My brother lives in a nice neighbourhood and one of
his neighbours parks a big camper trailer there all summer. The people
right next door look out their kitchen window and all they see is that
trailer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 3:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/4/2015 1:54 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>

>> Jill lives in the south. I'm sure you know that. She said
>> that every year there are calls for people to donate fans
>> for people who don't have a/c. I said the idea of living in
>> the south without a/c, I couldn't do it.

> Neither could I. I have to wonder though. what happens to all those
> fans. Didn't they get one last year?

(laugh) I use mine all the time, for days on end sometimes,
they just keep going.

> I do feel bad for some of the people. If you have a minimum wage job
> and a kid, $179 for an AC is tough to come by.

We've all been there, I would think.

> But it seems that some
> older people suffer because they won't part with the money to buy an AC.
> At least a small one for the bedroom. You can hide in there most of
> the day and be able to sleep at night.

My parents only got air conditioning when my father's doctor
told them he needed it for his health. Then they went whole
hog and got central air. Shocking.

He's gone now, and my mother won't
turn it on unless it's really unbearable. I don't know if it's
that depression era mentality or some sort of perverse pride in
being tough.

>> I, myself, do not live in the south. I do, however, have
>> air conditioning up here in the north, and wouldn't want to
>> do without it even here, though it would be more doable. I'm
>> not moving to Alaska to have zero a/c days.

> So far this season, we used the bedroom AC two nights.

You're quite a bit north of me, June was not nice here in Jersey.
So far, July has been nicer.

> This week is
> going to be a bit warmer so it will get used. Right now in the family
> room it is 71 degrees with the slider open. That AC has not been turned
> on yet.

I say I have a love hate relationship with air conditioning. I
wouldn't be without it, but then I hate having the windows closed
all the time. If it's reasonable out, my windows are open, too.

You would be amazed ... well, maybe I'm just amazed ... at how many
people turn the air on in May sometime and never turn it off all
summer. It could be the most beautiful cool and breezy spring-
like day but those windows are shut tight. I'm sure some people
must have allergies, but I've heard people say it's more efficient
to leave it on rather than let the house warm up at all.

It would drive me nuts.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 2:57:46 PM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:

> My parents only got air conditioning when my father's doctor
> told them he needed it for his health. Then they went whole
> hog and got central air. Shocking.

My mom got a room air conditioner for my dad when he had
lung cancer and he was suffering from the heat as well as
the disease. His bedroom was the most popular room in the
house!

> He's gone now, and my mother won't
> turn it on unless it's really unbearable. I don't know if it's
> that depression era mentality or some sort of perverse pride in
> being tough.
>
> nancy

My mother's kitchen faced west/southwest and it would be an oven
in there during the summer. She had a room size a/c in one
of the kitchen windows but she'd never turn it on UNTIL she
went in there to cook and it was already like a sauna. I told
her she needed to turn it on well before she did any cooking
which resulted in many heated arguments. She was scared to
death that electric bill would go up $5 for the month; it
was the depression era mentality. Save! Save! Save! Don't
spend a dime unless it's becomes a life threatening situation!
Hoard that dollar!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 7:04:36 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> I really can't believe this! Auburn (city near here) residents will be
> fined $30 per day if they use window AC.
>
> http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/mess...and-you/nmq6s/

HOAs have some use but they can be a PITA> I was on the Board of Directors for more than five years. One day I said , I can't take more and quit.Living in Texas I think would be impossible with out AC, we have used our central air at one point or another, in every month of the year. In NM we did NOT have AC, but we were at 6800 feet, warm in the daytime sweater cool at night. Loved it.

Fwd: OT Fine for AC sf[_9_] General Cooking 0 14-11-2015 05:52 AM
fine pulp Mark[_22_] Winemaking 3 30-11-2008 04:00 PM
Chill then Fine, or Fine then Chill - All in a Corny? [email protected] Winemaking 5 12-05-2006 04:26 AM
A fine Wine for a fine dinner Thurston Howell III Wine 2 13-03-2005 09:09 PM