Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default fine pulp

hi all,
racked off 5 gallon pear wine after 10 days bubbling with all the fruit,
used muslin, might have squeezed too much 'cos got about 2 gallon of fine
pulp at the bottom, will this be a prob ?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Mark wrote:

> hi all,
> racked off 5 gallon pear wine after 10 days bubbling with all the fruit,
> used muslin, might have squeezed too much 'cos got about 2 gallon of fine
> pulp at the bottom, will this be a prob ?

Probably not.
Wait several days and that "2 gallons" of fine pulp will probably compact to
a lesser amount.

What I would do is wait about a week and then rack off from the lees.

You can, if you wish, then transfer the lees to a smaller carboy and let set
for another week and rack and recover some more wine that way.

--
To reply via email, remove the obvious
Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Nov 29, 5:00*pm, "Paul E. Lehmann"
> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
> > hi all,
> > racked off 5 gallon pear wine after 10 days bubbling with all the fruit,
> > used muslin, might have squeezed too much 'cos got about 2 gallon of fine
> > pulp at the bottom, will this be a prob ?

> Probably not.
> Wait several days and that "2 gallons" of fine pulp will probably compact to
> a lesser amount.
>
> What I would do is wait about a week and then rack off from the lees.
>
> You can, if you wish, then transfer the lees to a smaller carboy and let set
> for another week and rack and recover some more wine that way.
>
> --
> To reply via email, remove the obvious
> Paul

Absolutely, it will continue to settle. I fine with bentonite and I
always combine the lees into full containers and let it resettle,
usually multiple times. I recover more than half, usually 3/4 of the
initial volume. What's left goes into the garden...

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Joe Sallustio wrote:

> On Nov 29, 5:00Â*pm, "Paul E. Lehmann"
> > wrote:
>> Mark wrote:
>> > hi all,
>> > racked off 5 gallon pear wine after 10 days bubbling with all the
>> > fruit, used muslin, might have squeezed too much 'cos got about 2
>> > gallon of fine pulp at the bottom, will this be a prob ?

>> Probably not.
>> Wait several days and that "2 gallons" of fine pulp will probably compact
>> to a lesser amount.
>>
>> What I would do is wait about a week and then rack off from the lees.
>>
>> You can, if you wish, then transfer the lees to a smaller carboy and let
>> set for another week and rack and recover some more wine that way.
>>
>> --
>> To reply via email, remove the obvious
>> Paul

> Absolutely, it will continue to settle. I fine with bentonite and I
> always combine the lees into full containers and let it resettle,
> usually multiple times. I recover more than half, usually 3/4 of the
> initial volume. What's left goes into the garden...
>
> Joe

Yep, I do this too. I made about 80 gallons of red wine this year. I
racked a day after pressing and put the lees from multiple batches into one
gallon or half gallon jugs to settle some more. I got about 3 gallons
of "Lees wine" this way after the final racking. It always turns out as
good as or in some cases better than the main lot. I bottle it in splits
and it is good for topping up my barrels.