Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Fine for AC

> wrote in message
> On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 2:57:46 PM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> My parents only got air conditioning when my father's doctor
>> told them he needed it for his health. Then they went whole
>> hog and got central air. Shocking.
>>

> My mom got a room air conditioner for my dad when he had
> lung cancer and he was suffering from the heat as well as
> the disease. His bedroom was the most popular room in the
> house!
>>
>> He's gone now, and my mother won't
>> turn it on unless it's really unbearable. I don't know if it's
>> that depression era mentality or some sort of perverse pride in
>> being tough.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> My mother's kitchen faced west/southwest and it would be an oven
> in there during the summer. She had a room size a/c in one
> of the kitchen windows but she'd never turn it on UNTIL she
> went in there to cook and it was already like a sauna. I told
> her she needed to turn it on well before she did any cooking
> which resulted in many heated arguments. She was scared to
> death that electric bill would go up $5 for the month; it
> was the depression era mentality. Save! Save! Save! Don't
> spend a dime unless it's becomes a life threatening situation!
> Hoard that dollar!

Let me guess - she does not work for the government, at any level.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-04 3:57 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

> I say I have a love hate relationship with air conditioning. I
> wouldn't be without it, but then I hate having the windows closed
> all the time. If it's reasonable out, my windows are open, too.

I can understand that. We have central air but rarely use it. I prefer
to have the windows open. We have a lot of big trees in our yard so at
least half the house is in the shade at any time. We open the windows at
night to let the cool air in and shut the blinds and curtains during the
day to keep the sun out. We only use the AC a few days each year.

> You would be amazed ... well, maybe I'm just amazed ... at how many
> people turn the air on in May sometime and never turn it off all
> summer. It could be the most beautiful cool and breezy spring-
> like day but those windows are shut tight.

I have two brothers who do that. Even on cool summer days they have it
running.

> I'm sure some people
> must have allergies, but I've heard people say it's more efficient
> to leave it on rather than let the house warm up at all.

My wife has allergies, but they don't seem to be any worse with the AC
on than if it is off. If it were really a problem we would get rid of
the dog,or at least try to convince him not to sleep in our room.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > On 7/4/2015 1:54 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> >

> > > Jill lives in the south. I'm sure you know that. She said
> > > that every year there are calls for people to donate fans
> > > for people who don't have a/c. I said the idea of living in
> > > the south without a/c, I couldn't do it.

> > Neither could I. I have to wonder though. what happens to all
> > those fans. Didn't they get one last year?
> >
> > I do feel bad for some of the people. If you have a minimum wage
> > job and a kid, $179 for an AC is tough to come by. But it seems
> > that some older people suffer because they won't part with the
> > money to buy an AC. At least a small one for the bedroom. You can
> > hide in there most of the day and be able to sleep at night.
> > >

> > > I, myself, do not live in the south. I do, however, have
> > > air conditioning up here in the north, and wouldn't want to
> > > do without it even here, though it would be more doable. I'm
> > > not moving to Alaska to have zero a/c days.
> > >
> > > nancy
> > >

> > So far this season, we used the bedroom AC two nights. This week
> > is going to be a bit warmer so it will get used. Right now in the
> > family room it is 71 degrees with the slider open. That AC has not
> > been turned on yet.

> We have a small portable a/c unit similar to this one:
>
> http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/1816822.htm
>
> We never need it at home but we do bring it with us to our holiday
> caravan if we are down south. Unfortunately we didn't think we would
> need it where we are now
>
> This could be used in the sitting room during the day and moved to
> the bedroom at night.

I have a very simular one. Works well! It sits on a home made box so
the drain drops down and goes out a screen door. We have 2 others that
are higher powered and you can shut off the deydration acton so they do
not have to be emptied or ported out a door at the bottom.

Normally if it hits 110 here (rare but happens sometimes for a week or
2 straight) we use all 3 to maintain 78F or so.

Usually we battle 95F or so and use 1 in the sunroom, and maybe another
in the family room. That will augment enough to keep 74 or so in those
hot spots off the main HVAC system.

AC compressor died 2 weeks ago and we had only the 3 portables until it
was replaced. It was comfy enough at no more than 82F with some fans
adding cooling. Cost more in electric than the HVAC and the portables
didnt shut off like they normally would, but was tolerable over all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 5:47 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-07-04 3:57 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>

>> I say I have a love hate relationship with air conditioning. I
>> wouldn't be without it, but then I hate having the windows closed
>> all the time. If it's reasonable out, my windows are open, too.

> I can understand that. We have central air but rarely use it. I prefer
> to have the windows open. We have a lot of big trees in our yard so at
> least half the house is in the shade at any time.

That helps. My back yard (facing west) gets no shade on the
house. Good for the pool and the flowers, bad for keeping the
house cooi.

>> You would be amazed ... well, maybe I'm just amazed ... at how many
>> people turn the air on in May sometime and never turn it off all
>> summer. It could be the most beautiful cool and breezy spring-
>> like day but those windows are shut tight.

> I have two brothers who do that. Even on cool summer days they have it
> running.

I really don't get it.

>> I'm sure some people
>> must have allergies, but I've heard people say it's more efficient
>> to leave it on rather than let the house warm up at all.
>>

> My wife has allergies, but they don't seem to be any worse with the AC
> on than if it is off.

For whatever reason, I get allergy symptoms when the a/c is on for
too many days. Dry air, maybe.

> If it were really a problem we would get rid of
> the dog,or at least try to convince him not to sleep in our room.

Some people really suffer.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 15:46:51 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2015-07-04 1:19 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 21:48:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>>
>>> Hard to say who is dumber. The HOA board or the people that live in a
>>> neighborhood governed by an HOA. Like living in a little dictatorship.

>> I like HOAs because I can live in a house for decades and never see a
>> boat parked in the driveway next door.
>>

>There is that to it. My brother lives in a nice neighbourhood and one of
>his neighbours parks a big camper trailer there all summer. The people
>right next door look out their kitchen window and all they see is that
>trailer.

They should move to a low density area if they don't like that sort of
thing, IMO. If the neighbour wants to park a trailer or boat in their
yard, then they should be able to. Where else are they supposed to
park them?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 15:46:51 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> I like HOAs because I can live in a house for decades and never see a
>>> boat parked in the driveway next door.
>>>

>>There is that to it. My brother lives in a nice neighbourhood and one of
>>his neighbours parks a big camper trailer there all summer. The people
>>right next door look out their kitchen window and all they see is that
>>trailer.

> They should move to a low density area if they don't like that sort of
> thing, IMO. If the neighbour wants to park a trailer or boat in their
> yard, then they should be able to. Where else are they supposed to
> park them?

There are storage yards available for such things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 15:18:20 -0700, "taxed and spent"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 15:46:51 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>>There is that to it. My brother lives in a nice neighbourhood and one of
>>>his neighbours parks a big camper trailer there all summer. The people
>>>right next door look out their kitchen window and all they see is that
>>>trailer.

>> They should move to a low density area if they don't like that sort of
>> thing, IMO. If the neighbour wants to park a trailer or boat in their
>> yard, then they should be able to. Where else are they supposed to
>> park them?

>There are storage yards available for such things.

I thought somebody would say something like that
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 6:18 PM, taxed and spent wrote:
> "Jeßus" > wrote

>> On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 15:46:51 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> There is that to it. My brother lives in a nice neighbourhood and one of
>>> his neighbours parks a big camper trailer there all summer. The people
>>> right next door look out their kitchen window and all they see is that
>>> trailer.

>> They should move to a low density area if they don't like that sort of
>> thing, IMO. If the neighbour wants to park a trailer or boat in their
>> yard, then they should be able to. Where else are they supposed to
>> park them?

> There are storage yards available for such things.

It's only considerate. You should think how it impacts your
neighbors, whatever it is.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 3:44 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> For instance, this spring they suggested that the park be closed for
> the month of April because of the mud. Those of us who use the park
> daily didn't care about the mud, but they said we were selfish and that
> our dogs were destroying the park. I pointed out that town was not going
> to do anything to improve the drainage and was not going to sod or
> reseed the muddy part, so there was no point in closing it if no work
> was to be done. We had moved away from the muddy area. They said that
> we would just ruin the grass on the rest of the park. A couple of us
> dug a small trench to help with the drainage, and that did more than
> anything else the town did.

Wait a minute there ... you did something to improve the situation?
That's just crazy talk.

> There had also been a suggestion that the set aside times each week for
> old and disabled dogs, the type who can't play. If a dog can't play and
> socialize, there is no reason to take it to a dog park where the idea is
> for the dogs to socialize and play. Same dummy from above had had to
> put down her older dog, the one who could not get along with other dogs.
> She pushed it on the basis of how much her late dog would have
> approved. Excuse the hell out of me, but I don't give rat's ass about
> her late dog and have no interest in some sort of memorial hour for the
> miserable old mutt.

That's pretty whacky.

You reminded me that I haven't gone by the dog park in a long time.
I don't have a dog any more but I like to watch them. There's an
area for the smaller dogs and one for the bigger dogs. Maybe your
park could section off a strip for the sedate dogs.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Acme Bully Control" wrote in message

More fraudulent frogging.

";
posting-account="U2FsdGVkX18v6LbWCUFQs1xa320baXVjYxKYki0Zm Qc="

Dead giveaway. Fraud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dog parks and control freaks

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> [...]
> > cars parked on the street. Crazy person.
> >
> > We just laughed and she moved out to someplace she could control.
> >

> There are petty and self centered people everywhere. I have issues
> with the local leash free dog park and the sisterhood of stupidity
> that thinks they run it. They have a FaceBook page to discuss issues.
> I discovered that they don't tolerate disagreeing with their idiotic
> ideas. Not only to the idiots gang up on dissenters, they discovered
> that they can block those who do not conform to their idiotic ideas.
>
> For instance, this spring they suggested that the park be closed for
> the month of April because of the mud. Those of us who use the park
> daily didn't care about the mud, but they said we were selfish and
> that our dogs were destroying the park. I pointed out that town was
> not going to do anything to improve the drainage and was not going to
> sod or reseed the muddy part, so there was no point in closing it if
> no work was to be done. We had moved away from the muddy area. They
> said that we would just ruin the grass on the rest of the park. A
> couple of us dug a small trench to help with the drainage, and that
> did more than anything else the town did.
>
> One of the advocates for closing it was in Florida for the winter, so
> it made no difference to her if the park was open or closed, but it
> didn't stop her from lobbying hard to close it. Then she ended up
> coming back in the middle of April and posted before she left asking
> whether it would be dry enough for her to bring her dog in a couple
> days.
>
> There had also been a suggestion that the set aside times each week
> for old and disabled dogs, the type who can't play. If a dog can't
> play and socialize, there is no reason to take it to a dog park where
> the idea is for the dogs to socialize and play. Same dummy from
> above had had to put down her older dog, the one who could not get
> along with other dogs. She pushed it on the basis of how much her
> late dog would have approved. Excuse the hell out of me, but I don't
> give rat's ass about her late dog and have no interest in some sort
> of memorial hour for the miserable old mutt.
>
> I had fought that all along, insisting that the park should be open
> to as many people and their dogs as possible at all times and that no
> one was likely to use it during the restricted times. I also pointed
> out that the park is empty for most of the day, so anyone who has a
> special needs dog could come during those quiet times. At first they
> agreed. Last month they introduced a new (but unenforced) rule that
> Sunday from 10-11 is for old, quiet dogs. They are counting on
> cooperation. They don't get it from me. I have made a point of going
> there on Sunday mornings at 10 with my old but rowdy dog. Just as I
> suspected, there were no special needs dogs. I have a lot of
> support for the regulars and we are all going to be there tomorrow at

Renamed it to control freaks at Dog parks.

I can kinda get it with the disabled dogs but they need to pick a time
largely unused already and 10-11 am isn't it.

I have a blind dog so if I lived in a city, I'd like to let her more
safely ramble at a set time. I'd be more expecting the other owners
would be more aware during that time that there might be a special
needs dog about and careful, not that they wouldnt take there dogs in
during that time. Restricting it to only special needs dogs would be
wrong.

Asking a short leash and extra care during an off average hour would
not be unreasonable if alerted special needs dogs were there then.
Maybe 4-5am is a dead time, and maybe 8-9pm as well? If I wanted more,
it would be a small gated off area during other times.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 21:48:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> > Hard to say who is dumber. The HOA board or the people that live
> > in a neighborhood governed by an HOA. Like living in a little
> > dictatorship.

> I like HOAs because I can live in a house for decades and never see a
> boat parked in the driveway next door.

Grin, I dislike them because I can find a neighbor with a boat and ask
if we can pay half the gas for a trip to go fishing now and again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > On 7/4/2015 9:07 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> >

> > > Quite a different story. Anyway, the residents knew the rule,
> > > they bought the wrong kind of A/C anyway. So if enough residents
> > > don't like the rule, they need to get together, figure out how to
> > > change the rule, and do that.
> > >
> > > Or get the kind of a/c permitted and retain the nice appearance
> > > of their development.
> > >
> > > nancy

> > Yea, but. . .
> >
> > While you are technically correct, the circumstances are a bit
> > unusual. Hotter than normal weather hit the area. AC was not
> > needed in that area in the past. The portable type of AC may not
> > have been readily available at the time.

> Yes. You can find window units even at some drug and grocery stores.
> You can't find portable ones in too many places and if you want one
> you might have to go online. When I did look at Amazon, many of
> those units take 2-5 months to ship. Now you could get lucky like my
> friend did. She got one for cheap at the store where her husband
> works. But normally they are not even something you'd see in a store
> here.

Try that again. I got one off Amazon.com, used the free shipping and
it was here in 4 days. I do not see ANY that take 2-5 months to ship.

Post the URL of one that does take that long or retract that statement
because you are lying. Even if you CAN find one that slow, it will take
you a long time to find one.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 7/4/2015 6:18 PM, taxed and spent wrote:
>> "Jeßus" > wrote

>>> On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 15:46:51 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> They should move to a low density area if they don't like that sort of
>>> thing, IMO. If the neighbour wants to park a trailer or boat in their
>>> yard, then they should be able to. Where else are they supposed to
>>> park them?

>> There are storage yards available for such things.

> It's only considerate. You should think how it impacts your
> neighbors, whatever it is.
>
> nancy

In our town, they really don't allow it if it blocks others. I have a friend
who built a big RV garage right next to his neighbor (no permit type of
thing) which blocked the entire window of her house on the side, the city
made him take it down. Now, I have a neighbor, very nice, who keeps building
things illegally like patio covers that come over my fence, a shed right
next to the fence (supposed to be 3 feet from the fence) I haven't
complained at all but I imagine it's just a matter of time before the city
comes after him since there are times when they go out checking in full
force. They want their permit money. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 3:57 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

> You would be amazed ... well, maybe I'm just amazed ... at how many
> people turn the air on in May sometime and never turn it off all
> summer. It could be the most beautiful cool and breezy spring-
> like day but those windows are shut tight. I'm sure some people
> must have allergies, but I've heard people say it's more efficient
> to leave it on rather than let the house warm up at all.
>
> It would drive me nuts.
>
> nancy

When I lived in Philadelphia we were almost that bad. Brick house, very
little grass, lots of concrete. It is 5 to 10 degrees warmer there than
here at any given time. We used lots of AC.

We will have a couple of 5 to 10 day stratches here i July and August
where at least the bedroom is cooled.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 8:21 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> It's only considerate. You should think how it impacts your
>> neighbors, whatever it is.

> In our town, they really don't allow it if it blocks others.

That's a nice law.

>I have a
> friend who built a big RV garage right next to his neighbor (no permit
> type of thing) which blocked the entire window of her house on the side,

What would make the guy think he could get away with that, I wonder.

> the city made him take it down. Now, I have a neighbor, very nice, who
> keeps building things illegally like patio covers that come over my
> fence, a shed right next to the fence (supposed to be 3 feet from the
> fence)

I had the same situation. Not only did my former neighbor put a
shed too close to the property line, he didn't realize my lot actually
went past my fence. It was actually on my property.

> I haven't complained at all but I imagine it's just a matter of
> time before the city comes after him since there are times when they go
> out checking in full force. They want their permit money. :-)

Heh, that would make me nervous as I'm not one to pull permits
every time I do a little remodeling. Technically they want a permit
for everything.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 5:47 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I can understand that. We have central air but rarely use it. I prefer
> to have the windows open. We have a lot of big trees in our yard so at
> least half the house is in the shade at any time. We open the windows at
> night to let the cool air in and shut the blinds and curtains during the
> day to keep the sun out. We only use the AC a few days each year.

Rule of thumb, a good shade tree is equal to 12,000 BTU AC

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 09:07:05 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 7/3/2015 8:53 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 17:04:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> As usual, you have bent the truth to make your gripe (which doesn't
>> even concern you) more dramatic. This is a HOA, *not* the City of
>> Auburn.

>Quite a different story. Anyway, the residents knew the rule,
>they bought the wrong kind of A/C anyway. So if enough residents
>don't like the rule, they need to get together, figure out how to
>change the rule, and do that.
>
>Or get the kind of a/c permitted and retain the nice appearance
>of their development.
>
>nancy

From the article:
___
Kerri Fulks is a spokesperson for Lakeland Homeowners Association.

“I understand that it’s hot, but there are other units they could
purchase that would not be in violation,” said Fulks, though when
asked over the phone, she couldn’t name one.

“We absolutely want them to stay cool,” said Fulks.
___

So Kerri Fulks says there are "other units they could purchase that
would not be in violation" but she can't name any? HA!!

Sounds like a badly writtren rule! Needs to be changed. People write
the rules, we can also change them. Nothing is written in stone
anymore!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> You would be amazed ... well, maybe I'm just amazed ... at how many
> people turn the air on in May sometime and never turn it off all
> summer. It could be the most beautiful cool and breezy spring-
> like day but those windows are shut tight. I'm sure some people
> must have allergies, but I've heard people say it's more efficient
> to leave it on rather than let the house warm up at all.
>
> It would drive me nuts.

My A/C is on all year... naturally it has a thermostat so it doesn't
cool below 70º. But it filters the air continuously and treats the
air with UV to kill germs. I never open windows, I don't even have
screens, I don't need a house full of pollen and dust to clean. I
spend more than enough time outdoors to get my fill of fresh air.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 09:57:29 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 7/4/2015 9:07 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>

>> Quite a different story. Anyway, the residents knew the rule,
>> they bought the wrong kind of A/C anyway. So if enough residents
>> don't like the rule, they need to get together, figure out how to
>> change the rule, and do that.
>>
>> Or get the kind of a/c permitted and retain the nice appearance
>> of their development.
>>
>> nancy

>Yea, but. . .
>
>While you are technically correct, the circumstances are a bit unusual.
> Hotter than normal weather hit the area. AC was not needed in that
>area in the past. The portable type of AC may not have been readily
>available at the time.
>
>Are you going to deny comfort to an 85 year old resident that is able to
>get a $150 room AC for relief? I bet a few residents could get a doctor
>to claim it was an emergency medical necessity.
>
>I'd stick it in a back window and screw the HOA. OTOH, I'd never live in
>a place with an HOA in the first place.

For example, someone like me with MS. People with MS are particularly
sensitive to the heat, the heat makes me miserably tired and quick to
wear out doding just about everything, and my case of MS is not
terribly severe. Some people with MS have extreme intolerance to hot
weather!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 7:33 PM, cshenk wrote:

> Try that again. I got one off Amazon.com, used the free shipping and
> it was here in 4 days. I do not see ANY that take 2-5 months to ship.
>
> Post the URL of one that does take that long or retract that statement
> because you are lying. Even if you CAN find one that slow, it will take
> you a long time to find one.
>
> Carol

http://smile.amazon.com/Whynter-Dual...ir+conditioner
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 20:29:57 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2015-07-04 18:09, wrote:
>> On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 15:46:51 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> There is that to it. My brother lives in a nice neighbourhood and one of
>>> his neighbours parks a big camper trailer there all summer. The people
>>> right next door look out their kitchen window and all they see is that
>>> trailer.

>> They should move to a low density area if they don't like that sort of
>> thing, IMO. If the neighbour wants to park a trailer or boat in their
>> yard, then they should be able to. Where else are they supposed to
>> park them?
>>

>I beg to differ. If people want to park stuff like that in their
>driveways they are the ones who should move to low density. If they live
>in a nice single dwelling neighbourhood they should not be storing
>trailers in their driveways. My neighbours have trailers and vehicles on
>their property, but I am in a rural area.

Fair enough, I can see both points of view but this doesnt seem to be
such an issue in suburban Aus, not to that extent, anyway (local
councils are another matter!). I just wonder where the line is drawn
between acceptable and unacceptable.
Ah, the joys of living on top of each other

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 21:13:07 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 7/4/2015 7:33 PM, cshenk wrote:
>

>> Try that again. I got one off Amazon.com, used the free shipping and
>> it was here in 4 days. I do not see ANY that take 2-5 months to ship.
>>
>> Post the URL of one that does take that long or retract that statement
>> because you are lying. Even if you CAN find one that slow, it will take
>> you a long time to find one.
>>
>> Carol
>>

>http://smile.amazon.com/Whynter-Dual...ir+conditioner

That is because it is not in stock...hardly a true shipping time
interval.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 9:40 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 21:13:07 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 7/4/2015 7:33 PM, cshenk wrote:
>>

>>> Try that again. I got one off Amazon.com, used the free shipping and
>>> it was here in 4 days. I do not see ANY that take 2-5 months to ship.
>>>
>>> Post the URL of one that does take that long or retract that statement
>>> because you are lying. Even if you CAN find one that slow, it will take
>>> you a long time to find one.
>>>
>>> Carol
>>>

>> http://smile.amazon.com/Whynter-Dual...ir+conditioner

> That is because it is not in stock...hardly a true shipping time
> interval.

Of course it is not in stock, thus the long lead time. What is not true
of the shipping time interval?

There are other options, of course, but you also have to be careful when
you state "show me". Someone usually will.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 21:05:37 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 7/4/2015 5:47 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> I can understand that. We have central air but rarely use it. I prefer
>> to have the windows open. We have a lot of big trees in our yard so at
>> least half the house is in the shade at any time. We open the windows at
>> night to let the cool air in and shut the blinds and curtains during the
>> day to keep the sun out. We only use the AC a few days each year.
>>

>Rule of thumb, a good shade tree is equal to 12,000 BTU AC

A good shade tree can cost many, MANY thousands of dollars when
there's a storm and it falls on your house... homeowners insurance
does not cover damage from a tree falling on your house, their logic
is the homeowner is remiss for allowing that stituation to exist,
insurance won't even pay for the tree removal.... $500 worth of
additional attic insulation saves 100 times its cost in
cooling/heating bills, far better than any shade tree hanging over
your house that causes roof rot, that insurance also doesn't cover.
When I moved here there were tall trees right up to this house, the
last owners called them A/C. They were ****ed when I had them all
removed. Obviously they never lived through a hurricane, I have. I
planted many trees, but not right near the house... In fact I planted
a tulip tree two days ago but it's about 200' from the house. Tulip
trees grow huge. There are plenty of spectacular specimen trees one
cna plant near their house that don't grow very large. Most new home
owners go to a plant nursery and pay no attention to how large the
plants they buy will grow.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Water Main Break (WAS: OT Fine for AC)

On 7/4/2015 3:46 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> There is that to it. My brother lives in a nice neighbourhood and one of
> his neighbours parks a big camper trailer there all summer. The people
> right next door look out their kitchen window and all they see is that
> trailer.

You can't park a boat or a trailer or an RV in the driveway for any
length of time where I live. There is an area for parking them. No one
really wants to look out the window every day and see them.

Change of subject: I just got into an "argument" (of sorts) with a
couple of men on the Dataw Net. There is a break in the water main on
the island.

This being a holiday weekend, the local water authority doesn't have the
crews to start the repairs until "early next week". They're hoping for
Monday. Meanwhile, we're all dealing with *greatly* reduced water pressure.

I wrote to the Dataw Net suggesting maybe it would help with the water
pressure issue if maybe people didn't run their automatic sprinklers
until the problem is fixed.

Oh. My. God. You'd have thought I suggested they cut off their thumbs!
Not run the sprinklers?! How dare you!

One guy actually replied to me, it is our OBLIGATION to the Association
to have pretty lawns... must run the sprinklers. Yeah, sure.

My answer was: Look out the window. It's been raining for the last two
hours. It has rained every night for the last week, off and on
throughout the night. It's supposed to rain again tomorrow. I really
don't think the lawn needs your help.

I'd much prefer having enough water pressure to rinse shampoo out of my
hair without it taking 15 minutes.

These people certainly have some strange priorities.

I should have said I suppose I could stand outside in the rain every
night to take a shower. They do say rain water is good for hair.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 6:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 7/4/2015 6:18 PM, taxed and spent wrote:
>> "Jeßus" > wrote

>>> On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 15:46:51 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> They should move to a low density area if they don't like that sort of
>>> thing, IMO. If the neighbour wants to park a trailer or boat in their
>>> yard, then they should be able to. Where else are they supposed to
>>> park them?

>> There are storage yards available for such things.

> It's only considerate. You should think how it impacts your
> neighbors, whatever it is.
>
> nancy

There are places to park boats (dry-dock), camper/trailers, RV's where I
live. HOA or not, no one really wants to look at them just sitting there.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 22:07:59 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/4/2015 6:29 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 7/4/2015 6:18 PM, taxed and spent wrote:
>>> "Jeßus" > wrote

>>> There are storage yards available for such things.

>> It's only considerate. You should think how it impacts your
>> neighbors, whatever it is.
>>

>There are places to park boats (dry-dock), camper/trailers, RV's where I
>live. HOA or not, no one really wants to look at them just sitting there.

That's a good idea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 09:07:05 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:

>>> As usual, you have bent the truth to make your gripe (which doesn't
>>> even concern you) more dramatic. This is a HOA, *not* the City of
>>> Auburn.

>>Quite a different story. Anyway, the residents knew the rule,
>>they bought the wrong kind of A/C anyway. So if enough residents
>>don't like the rule, they need to get together, figure out how to
>>change the rule, and do that.
>>
>>Or get the kind of a/c permitted and retain the nice appearance
>>of their development.
>>
>>nancy

> From the article:
> ___
> Kerri Fulks is a spokesperson for Lakeland Homeowners Association.
>
> "I understand that it's hot, but there are other units they could
> purchase that would not be in violation," said Fulks, though when
> asked over the phone, she couldn't name one.
>
> "We absolutely want them to stay cool," said Fulks.
> ___
>
> So Kerri Fulks says there are "other units they could purchase that
> would not be in violation" but she can't name any? HA!!
>
> Sounds like a badly writtren rule! Needs to be changed. People write
> the rules, we can also change them. Nothing is written in stone
> anymore!
>
> John Kuthe...

What, the HOA has to lead the violators by the nose to buy a permissible
unit? I know there are NON-WINDOW HVAC units, but I don't know what they
are offhand. Not my job.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2015 10:04 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> This being a holiday weekend, the local water authority doesn't have the
> crews to start the repairs until "early next week". They're hoping for
> Monday. Meanwhile, we're all dealing with *greatly* reduced water
> pressure.
>
> I wrote to the Dataw Net suggesting maybe it would help with the water
> pressure issue if maybe people didn't run their automatic sprinklers
> until the problem is fixed.
>
> Oh. My. God. You'd have thought I suggested they cut off their thumbs!
> Not run the sprinklers?! How dare you!
>
> One guy actually replied to me, it is our OBLIGATION to the Association
> to have pretty lawns... must run the sprinklers. Yeah, sure.

You could not write better fiction than what real life gives you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-04 22:02, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> I can understand that. We have central air but rarely use it. I prefer
>>> to have the windows open. We have a lot of big trees in our yard so at
>>> least half the house is in the shade at any time. We open the windows at
>>> night to let the cool air in and shut the blinds and curtains during the
>>> day to keep the sun out. We only use the AC a few days each year.
>>>

>> Rule of thumb, a good shade tree is equal to 12,000 BTU AC

> A good shade tree can cost many, MANY thousands of dollars when
> there's a storm and it falls on your house...

True. In my case it would have amounted to $2 per BTU for the damage
done to me house when a huge branch from a very old maple tree snapped
off and fell on it.

> homeowners insurance
> does not cover damage from a tree falling on your house, their logic
> is the homeowner is remiss for allowing that stituation to exist,
> insurance won't even pay for the tree removal.

My insurance company covered it..... $24,000 worth.

.... $500 worth of
> additional attic insulation saves 100 times its cost in
> cooling/heating bills, far better than any shade tree hanging over
> your house that causes roof rot, that insurance also doesn't cover.
> When I moved here there were tall trees right up to this house, the
> last owners called them A/C. They were ****ed when I had them all
> removed.

My previous neighbour went nuts years ago when I cut down a bunch of
crappy black willow trees. He said they were his shade trees. They
were on my property. The plan was to cut them down while they were only
6-8 inches in diameter and 15-20 feet high and to plant some real trees.
I knew it would take years for the maple trees to develop, so the
sooner the better. Here we are almost thirty years later and I have
some nice maples there.

Meanwhile, he left his black willow trees alone. One fell on a shed.
One fell on his bridge. One fell on the vegetable garden. There were
close to 3 feet in diameter at the base when they started dying off and
dropping. He left them there for the new owner to clean up.

> There are plenty of spectacular specimen trees one
> cna plant near their house that don't grow very large. Most new home
> owners go to a plant nursery and pay no attention to how large the
> plants they buy will grow.

I get my trees from farmer John, the guy who owns the nursery behind me.
I just let him know I would like a tree when he is harvesting. When his
guys are digging up trees of the variety I am interested in and there is
a slightly flawed one they drop it off at my place.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-04 22:04, jmcquown wrote:

> You can't park a boat or a trailer or an RV in the driveway for any
> length of time where I live. There is an area for parking them. No one
> really wants to look out the window every day and see them.
>
> Change of subject: I just got into an "argument" (of sorts) with a
> couple of men on the Dataw Net. There is a break in the water main on
> the island.
>
> This being a holiday weekend, the local water authority doesn't have the
> crews to start the repairs until "early next week". They're hoping for
> Monday. Meanwhile, we're all dealing with *greatly* reduced water
> pressure.

It is a matter of public health and safety. They should have paid
someone overtime to get the job done right away.

> I wrote to the Dataw Net suggesting maybe it would help with the water
> pressure issue if maybe people didn't run their automatic sprinklers
> until the problem is fixed.
>
> Oh. My. God. You'd have thought I suggested they cut off their thumbs!
> Not run the sprinklers?! How dare you!
>
> One guy actually replied to me, it is our OBLIGATION to the Association
> to have pretty lawns... must run the sprinklers. Yeah, sure.
>
> My answer was: Look out the window. It's been raining for the last two
> hours. It has rained every night for the last week, off and on
> throughout the night. It's supposed to rain again tomorrow. I really
> don't think the lawn needs your help.

Grass turns brown when it is desperately in need on water. It turns
green again when it gets watered. Once in a while when we run into a
dry spell they have lawn watering restrictions. They aren't particularly
worried about running out of water from the source, since it is pretty
well unlimited, but they are worried about maintaining sufficient water
pressure in case of a fire.

> I'd much prefer having enough water pressure to rinse shampoo out of my
> hair without it taking 15 minutes.
>
> These people certainly have some strange priorities.

If it has been raining there is no real need for watering. They are just
being dicks.

> I should have said I suppose I could stand outside in the rain every
> night to take a shower. They do say rain water is good for hair.

It is soft water. ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 11:07:47 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > As usual, you have bent the truth to make your gripe (which doesn't
>> > even concern you) more dramatic. This is a HOA, *not* the City of
>> > Auburn.

>> I didn't say that it *was* the city but it does apply to some of the
>> residents who live there.

> "Auburn residents" - now doesn't that imply ALL residents of a city?
> Dumb-ass.
>
> Now, let's hear the back-paddlin'. Writer - HA.

I am not the one who made the title of the piece.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 7/4/2015 9:31 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>> On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 11:07:47 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>>> On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 17:04:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> I didn't say that it *was* the city but it does apply to some of the
>>> residents who live there.

>> "Auburn residents" - now doesn't that imply ALL residents of a city?
>> Dumb-ass.
>>
>> Now, let's hear the back-paddlin'. Writer - HA.
>>

> Much nit picking could have been avoided has she added the word "some" in
> front of Auburn. OTOH, it gave a few people a delightful opportunity to
> pounce on the poster.

I try to keep the subject line as short as I can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 09:48:45 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> "Auburn residents" - now doesn't that imply ALL residents of a city?
>>> Dumb-ass.
>>>
>>> Now, let's hear the back-paddlin'. Writer - HA.
>>>

>> Much nit picking could have been avoided has she added the word "some"
>> in front of Auburn. OTOH, it gave a few people a delightful opportunity
>> to pounce on the poster.

> She's exaggerated like this dozens of times before. Maybe the first
> couple times she'd get a pass, but it's her standard MO nowadays. And
> especially an OT post which doesn't even concern her.

I didn't exaggerate. I didn't write the piece. I just reposted it. Heck
the link just says "residents". Why don't you go attack whoever made that
link? That would apply to everyone. We're all residents somewhere.

Fwd: OT Fine for AC sf[_9_] General Cooking 0 14-11-2015 05:52 AM
fine pulp Mark[_22_] Winemaking 3 30-11-2008 04:00 PM
Chill then Fine, or Fine then Chill - All in a Corny? [email protected] Winemaking 5 12-05-2006 04:26 AM
A fine Wine for a fine dinner Thurston Howell III Wine 2 13-03-2005 09:09 PM