Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default slow roasted tomatoes

I bought slow roasted and seasoned tomatoes packed in olive oil at the
farmers market today, whizzed them up in the mini-chopper and spread
it on olive bread. So delicious!
http://oi61.tinypic.com/2evcglh.jpg

The price was outrageous ($8.25 for that small container), but I'm
going back next week to try their puttanesca sauce or maybe the
tapenade.

I'm going to try making some myself and found a recipe worth trying.
Using grocery store tomatoes (that will sit on the counter and ripen
for a few days first). If what I make tastes even remotely like this,
I'll buy organic plum tomatoes from the farmers market next, because
they're picked at a riper stage.
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/arom...asted-tomatoes

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I'm going to try making some myself and found a recipe worth trying.
> Using grocery store tomatoes (that will sit on the counter and ripen
> for a few days first). If what I make tastes even remotely like this,
> I'll buy organic plum tomatoes from the farmers market next, because
> they're picked at a riper stage.
> http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/arom...asted-tomatoes

Thanks for the link. Looks like something to try when my bumper crop comes in - ha - I don't even have the yellow flowers yet.

Should be dynamite on toast with grated cheese on top.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 05:18:48 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>> I'm going to try making some myself and found a recipe worth trying.
>> Using grocery store tomatoes (that will sit on the counter and ripen
>> for a few days first). If what I make tastes even remotely like this,
>> I'll buy organic plum tomatoes from the farmers market next, because
>> they're picked at a riper stage.
>> http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/arom...asted-tomatoes

>Thanks for the link. Looks like something to try when my bumper crop comes in - ha - I don't even have the yellow flowers yet.
>
>Should be dynamite on toast with grated cheese on top.

I have golf ball size green tomatoes and lots of flowers. We've had
an o.k. spring for tomatoes. Also, I am trying this for the first
time. http://tinyurl.com/olawq94 I'm impressed. I've had this stuff
in the house for years and years and never got around to trying it.
The plants are chest high with stems that are stout.
Good Luck with your plants this year.
Janet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 07:57:11 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 05:18:48 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>

> >> I'm going to try making some myself and found a recipe worth trying.
> >> Using grocery store tomatoes (that will sit on the counter and ripen
> >> for a few days first). If what I make tastes even remotely like this,
> >> I'll buy organic plum tomatoes from the farmers market next, because
> >> they're picked at a riper stage.
> >> http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/arom...asted-tomatoes

> >Thanks for the link. Looks like something to try when my bumper crop comes in - ha - I don't even have the yellow flowers yet.
> >
> >Should be dynamite on toast with grated cheese on top.

> I have golf ball size green tomatoes and lots of flowers. We've had
> an o.k. spring for tomatoes. Also, I am trying this for the first
> time. http://tinyurl.com/olawq94 I'm impressed. I've had this stuff
> in the house for years and years and never got around to trying it.
> The plants are chest high with stems that are stout.
> Good Luck with your plants this year.
> Janet

I'm not much of a gardener so I'm only familiar with shade fabric and
haven't known about anything red before this. Is the mulch cloth
secured between plants in any way? How do you get water to the
plants, is it porous?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 05:18:48 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>> I'm going to try making some myself and found a recipe worth trying.
>> Using grocery store tomatoes (that will sit on the counter and ripen
>> for a few days first). If what I make tastes even remotely like this,
>> I'll buy organic plum tomatoes from the farmers market next, because
>> they're picked at a riper stage.
>> http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/arom...asted-tomatoes

>Thanks for the link. Looks like something to try when my bumper crop comes in - ha - I don't even have the yellow flowers yet.
>
>Should be dynamite on toast with grated cheese on top.

I slow roast then freeze them. I don't add sugar like the recipe
states.

I've been fermenting cherry tomatoes lately.
https://flic.kr/p/upC27f

They are addictive, I have one fermenting while we are eating the last
batch.
Here's where I found out about it, but I don't add the sugar.
http://fentasticlife.com/fermented-russian-tomatoes/

koko

James Beard

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I'm not much of a gardener so I'm only familiar with shade fabric and
> haven't known about anything red before this. Is the mulch cloth
> secured between plants in any way? How do you get water to the
> plants, is it porous?

Best way I've found to shade the soil for long growing plants is to
spread radish seeds all around. They grow quickly, the roots stay
shallow and provide a lot of shade on the soil for the bigger plants
(like tomatoes). That soil shade keeps it from drying out so quickly
in hot sunny places. You can even harvest some radishes early on. :-D

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 11:21:50 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > I'm not much of a gardener so I'm only familiar with shade fabric and
> > haven't known about anything red before this. Is the mulch cloth
> > secured between plants in any way? How do you get water to the
> > plants, is it porous?

> Best way I've found to shade the soil for long growing plants is to
> spread radish seeds all around. They grow quickly, the roots stay
> shallow and provide a lot of shade on the soil for the bigger plants
> (like tomatoes). That soil shade keeps it from drying out so quickly
> in hot sunny places. You can even harvest some radishes early on. :-D

I like radishes, so it's a bonus crop!

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 08:07:48 -0700, koko > wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 05:18:48 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>

> >> I'm going to try making some myself and found a recipe worth trying.
> >> Using grocery store tomatoes (that will sit on the counter and ripen
> >> for a few days first). If what I make tastes even remotely like this,
> >> I'll buy organic plum tomatoes from the farmers market next, because
> >> they're picked at a riper stage.
> >> http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/arom...asted-tomatoes

> >Thanks for the link. Looks like something to try when my bumper crop comes in - ha - I don't even have the yellow flowers yet.
> >
> >Should be dynamite on toast with grated cheese on top.

> I slow roast then freeze them. I don't add sugar like the recipe
> states.
>
> I've been fermenting cherry tomatoes lately.
> https://flic.kr/p/upC27f
>
> They are addictive, I have one fermenting while we are eating the last
> batch.
> Here's where I found out about it, but I don't add the sugar.
> http://fentasticlife.com/fermented-russian-tomatoes/

The recipe mentioned a type of salsa... what else can you do with
them?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 11:21:50 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> > sf wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not much of a gardener so I'm only familiar with shade fabric and
> > > haven't known about anything red before this. Is the mulch cloth
> > > secured between plants in any way? How do you get water to the
> > > plants, is it porous?

> > Best way I've found to shade the soil for long growing plants is to
> > spread radish seeds all around. They grow quickly, the roots stay
> > shallow and provide a lot of shade on the soil for the bigger plants
> > (like tomatoes). That soil shade keeps it from drying out so quickly
> > in hot sunny places. You can even harvest some radishes early on. :-D
> >

> I like radishes, so it's a bonus crop!

It really is plus you can sow more radish seeds anytime during the
summer to grow more "shade". They sprout and grow very quickly. :-D

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 07:53:41 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 07:57:11 -0600, Janet B >
>wrote:

>> >Thanks for the link. Looks like something to try when my bumper crop comes in - ha - I don't even have the yellow flowers yet.
>> >
>> >Should be dynamite on toast with grated cheese on top.

>> I have golf ball size green tomatoes and lots of flowers. We've had
>> an o.k. spring for tomatoes. Also, I am trying this for the first
>> time. http://tinyurl.com/olawq94 I'm impressed. I've had this stuff
>> in the house for years and years and never got around to trying it.
>> The plants are chest high with stems that are stout.
>> Good Luck with your plants this year.
>> Janet

>I'm not much of a gardener so I'm only familiar with shade fabric and
>haven't known about anything red before this. Is the mulch cloth
>secured between plants in any way? How do you get water to the
>plants, is it porous?

Currently there are maybe a half dozen colors of plastic mulch to
achieve different things. The red has been around awhile and I've had
it in my gardening closet and just never got around to it. The red
is specifically for tomatoes and the tomato family (nightshade family
which includes peppers, eggplant etc.) The red plastic reflects light
that makes the tomatoes grow stronger stems and produce more and
bigger. Normally at this time of year my tomato plants would maybe be
knee high. Today they are shoulder high and appear to be setting
fruit on all the blossoms instead of dropping blossoms.
With any plastic mulch, you have to run soaker hoses beneath the
mulch. I have been running soaker hoses to my vegetable gardens for
probably 20 years. With soakers the water gets directly to the roots
instead of being diverted by foliage and wind. The plastic mulches
are not porous. You secure the plastic with landscape pins -- two
wire legs maybe 3-4 inches long with a 1-inch crosspiece holding the
legs together.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 11:21:50 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>sf wrote:
>>
>> I'm not much of a gardener so I'm only familiar with shade fabric and
>> haven't known about anything red before this. Is the mulch cloth
>> secured between plants in any way? How do you get water to the
>> plants, is it porous?

>Best way I've found to shade the soil for long growing plants is to
>spread radish seeds all around. They grow quickly, the roots stay
>shallow and provide a lot of shade on the soil for the bigger plants
>(like tomatoes). That soil shade keeps it from drying out so quickly
>in hot sunny places. You can even harvest some radishes early on. :-D
>
>G.

This mulch is not intended to shade the soil.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 10:31:50 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 07:53:41 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 07:57:11 -0600, Janet B >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 05:18:48 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia

> >> I have golf ball size green tomatoes and lots of flowers. We've had
> >> an o.k. spring for tomatoes. Also, I am trying this for the first
> >> time. http://tinyurl.com/olawq94 I'm impressed. I've had this stuff
> >> in the house for years and years and never got around to trying it.
> >> The plants are chest high with stems that are stout.
> >> Good Luck with your plants this year.
> >> Janet

> >I'm not much of a gardener so I'm only familiar with shade fabric and
> >haven't known about anything red before this. Is the mulch cloth
> >secured between plants in any way? How do you get water to the
> >plants, is it porous?

> Currently there are maybe a half dozen colors of plastic mulch to
> achieve different things. The red has been around awhile and I've had
> it in my gardening closet and just never got around to it. The red
> is specifically for tomatoes and the tomato family (nightshade family
> which includes peppers, eggplant etc.) The red plastic reflects light
> that makes the tomatoes grow stronger stems and produce more and
> bigger. Normally at this time of year my tomato plants would maybe be
> knee high. Today they are shoulder high and appear to be setting
> fruit on all the blossoms instead of dropping blossoms.
> With any plastic mulch, you have to run soaker hoses beneath the
> mulch. I have been running soaker hoses to my vegetable gardens for
> probably 20 years. With soakers the water gets directly to the roots
> instead of being diverted by foliage and wind. The plastic mulches
> are not porous. You secure the plastic with landscape pins -- two
> wire legs maybe 3-4 inches long with a 1-inch crosspiece holding the
> legs together.

Thanks for the information. I'm going to pass it to my son and
son-in-law who DO garden.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 05:18:48 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>> I'm going to try making some myself and found a recipe worth trying.
>> Using grocery store tomatoes (that will sit on the counter and ripen
>> for a few days first). If what I make tastes even remotely like this,
>> I'll buy organic plum tomatoes from the farmers market next, because
>> they're picked at a riper stage.
>> http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/arom...asted-tomatoes

>Thanks for the link. Looks like something to try when my bumper crop comes in.

Why would anyone with a garden want to light their oven in mid summer
to roast veggies, eating through your bumper crop is one of the best
uses for your outside grill. Grill your entire day's harvest, left
over cold grilled veggies are a great snack and make a fantastic
tossed salad... cold grilled eggplant, tomato, and onion slices on a
tuna salad sandwich can't be beat... left over cold grilled veggies is
best ingredients to make eggplant caponata.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 05:18:48 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:
>

>>> I'm going to try making some myself and found a recipe worth trying.
>>> Using grocery store tomatoes (that will sit on the counter and ripen
>>> for a few days first). If what I make tastes even remotely like this,
>>> I'll buy organic plum tomatoes from the farmers market next, because
>>> they're picked at a riper stage.
>>> http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/arom...asted-tomatoes

>>Thanks for the link. Looks like something to try when my bumper crop comes in - ha - I don't even have the yellow flowers yet.
>>
>>Should be dynamite on toast with grated cheese on top.

>I have golf ball size green tomatoes and lots of flowers. We've had
>an o.k. spring for tomatoes. Also, I am trying this for the first
>time. http://tinyurl.com/olawq94 I'm impressed. I've had this stuff
>in the house for years and years and never got around to trying it.
>The plants are chest high with stems that are stout.

Hmm, maybe you've been spending too much time in your tomato patch
shading your plants!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 10:34:06 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 11:21:50 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>sf wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not much of a gardener so I'm only familiar with shade fabric and
>>> haven't known about anything red before this. Is the mulch cloth
>>> secured between plants in any way? How do you get water to the
>>> plants, is it porous?

>>Best way I've found to shade the soil for long growing plants is to
>>spread radish seeds all around. They grow quickly, the roots stay
>>shallow and provide a lot of shade on the soil for the bigger plants
>>(like tomatoes). That soil shade keeps it from drying out so quickly
>>in hot sunny places. You can even harvest some radishes early on. :-D
>>
>>G.

>This mulch is not intended to shade the soil.
>Janet US

I use this to mulch my garden paths, price is right, and rolls down
and rolls up easily:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Jobe-s-Or...1100/202251731