Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default roasted tomatoes

I bought some tomatoes along with the peaches last weekend and haven't
used them up; so I decided I'd roast what was left because I won't be
cooking this weekend.

I sliced them up thick and then roasted them at 175°, turning every 90
minutes... 4.5 hours in all.

1.5 hours (half are turned over in this picture)
http://i34.tinypic.com/rh496s.jpg

4.5 hours http://i34.tinypic.com/r8h6p4.jpg

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> I bought some tomatoes along with the peaches last weekend and haven't>
> used them up; so I decided I'd roast what was left because I won't be
> cooking this weekend.
>
> I sliced them up thick and then roasted them at 175°, turning every 90>
> minutes... 4.5 hours in all.
>
> 1.5 hours (half are turned over in this picture)
> http://i34.tinypic.com/rh496s.jpg
>
> 4.5 hours http://i34.tinypic.com/r8h6p4.jpg

Wow, that's a long time. Are they completely dried? My halves only took 2
hours!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 08:40:51 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> >
> > I bought some tomatoes along with the peaches last weekend and haven't>
> > used them up; so I decided I'd roast what was left because I won't be
> > cooking this weekend.
> >
> > I sliced them up thick and then roasted them at 175°, turning every 90>
> > minutes... 4.5 hours in all.
> >
> > 1.5 hours (half are turned over in this picture)
> > http://i34.tinypic.com/rh496s.jpg
> >
> > 4.5 hours http://i34.tinypic.com/r8h6p4.jpg

> Wow, that's a long time.

These were not Romas, they were the watery kind of round tomato.

> Are they completely dried?

I wouldn't say they are.

> My halves only took 2 hours!

I never know how hot to set the oven, so I bake them slowly until they
shrivel up. I probably should have used a higher heat, but I'm a
novice at this. If I intended to use them right away, I probably
would have stopped earlier.

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 23:17:51 -0700, sf wrote:

> I bought some tomatoes along with the peaches last weekend and haven't
> used them up; so I decided I'd roast what was left because I won't be
> cooking this weekend.
>
> I sliced them up thick and then roasted them at 175°, turning every 90
> minutes... 4.5 hours in all.
>
> 1.5 hours (half are turned over in this picture)
> http://i34.tinypic.com/rh496s.jpg
>
> 4.5 hours http://i34.tinypic.com/r8h6p4.jpg

And i thought Sheldon's pans looked bad. A nice even "patina" like on cast
iron is nice, but when it has a bunch dull spots and random scratches like
that, that's just ugly neglect.

4.5 hours to "roast" 2 tomatoes is exactly economical, not to mention
"roasted", which doesn't happen to tomates at 175. That's just dehydrated.
You need higher heat to get the "roasted" flavor profile.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 20, 8:38 am, Sqwertz > wrote:

> And i thought Sheldon's pans looked bad. A nice even "patina" like on cast
> iron is nice, but when it has a bunch dull spots and random scratches like
> that, that's just ugly neglect.

It's just an old baking/sheet pan, what difference does it make? -
aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 09:23:19 -0700 (PDT), aem wrote:

> On Aug 20, 8:38 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> And i thought Sheldon's pans looked bad. A nice even "patina" like on cast
>> iron is nice, but when it has a bunch dull spots and random scratches like
>> that, that's just ugly neglect.
>>

> It's just an old baking/sheet pan, what difference does it make? -

I have steel and aluminum pans that are 30 years old and they don't look
like THAT. But I've always taken care to wash my cookware by hand.

-sw