Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Req: 18 hour Slow Roasted Turkey

On Tuesday, December 3, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> In article >,
> Mimi Hiller > wrote:
> >Michael Wenlock wrote:
> >

> >How would you cook a turkey for 18 hours and do it safely?
> >

> It's simple. Wrap it in latex first. :-)
>
> Seriously, though, I don't think you can...all of Adelle Davis'
> works were done before the bad salmonella problems we've got
> now...use caution folks!
>
> nathanR

The way you cook it is to cook it at 175. The same temp you want the meat at when done. This will kill all bacteria while keeping the meat moist. The best part is that you can not over cook. Because it is not a a temperature hotter than where you want it anyway. This way you can plan on having the turkey done but still in the oven hours before meal time, take it out to rest for 1/2 hour to hour, and cook your other items. I cooked two 16.5 oz birds simultaneously in a turkey roaster for 40 hours and it was excellent. Oven Temp again is 175.