Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best side ever

There is a restaurant in a hotel near us. The restaurant has had it's ups and downs. Got a new chef, manager recently. We decided to give it a try for a little birthday dinner. I had the duck breast, and it was wonderful. The best thing was the vegetable served with it. It was tiny, tender Brussels sprouts and teeny-tiny potatoes. I have never seen potatoes that small, they were about 1 inch across. The sprouts and the potatoes were halved and cooked with a slight char. They were tender and very delicious. It never occurs to me to take a picture!!

I have been pan frying Brussels sprouts this spring cause I do not want to heat the oven. They come out very nice. Now I just have to find tiny potatoes to add to the mix!

It was a wonderful evening in Denver and we walked about half of the way home. Did a little bar hopping along the way. Mild temp, no wind, a few drops of rain. It was a perfect evening.

DaleP
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2014 12:35 PM, dalep wrote:
> There is a restaurant in a hotel near us. The restaurant has had it's ups and downs. Got a new chef, manager recently. We decided to give it a try for a little birthday dinner. I had the duck breast, and it was wonderful. The best thing was the vegetable served with it. It was tiny, tender Brussels sprouts and teeny-tiny potatoes. I have never seen potatoes that small, they were about 1 inch across. The sprouts and the potatoes were halved and cooked with a slight char. They were tender and very delicious. It never occurs to me to take a picture!!
>
> I have been pan frying Brussels sprouts this spring cause I do not want to heat the oven. They come out very nice. Now I just have to find tiny potatoes to add to the mix!
>
> It was a wonderful evening in Denver and we walked about half of the way home. Did a little bar hopping along the way. Mild temp, no wind, a few drops of rain. It was a perfect evening.
>
> DaleP

Sounds good! I'm glad you had a good time and a good meal.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2014 1:27 PM, dalep wrote:
> On Saturday, June 21, 2014 11:12:29 AM UTC-6, Janet wrote:
>> In article >,
>>
>> says...
>>

>>> There is a restaurant in a hotel near us. The restaurant has had it's ups and downs.

>> Got a new chef, manager recently. We decided to give it a try for a
>>
>> little birthday dinner. I had the duck breast, and it was wonderful.
>>
>> The best thing was the vegetable served with it. It was tiny, tender
>>
>> Brussels sprouts and teeny-tiny potatoes. I have never seen potatoes
>>
>> that small, they were about 1 inch across.
>>

>> Don't they sell those in US supermarkets?
>>

>> In UK they are called (and sold as) "new potatoes", the first of the
>>
>> season's crop, very tender and delicious.
>>

>> Janet UK

> Our "new potatoes" are usually two inches across. I did a little research and apparently our Trader Joe's sells tine potatoes. We just got Trader Joe's, so i will check it out. The potatoes at the restaurant were no more than one inch across. And yes, they were very tender and delicious.
>
> DaleP

Were they small thin-skinned red potatoes? I buy them for next to
nothing from a local farm stand.

You can buy all sorts of tiny potatoes. I won't buy the silly
"fingerlings" which are *way* overpriced. Takes twice as many potatoes
to serve 2 people and the cost is ridiculous. They're still just
potatoes.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dalep wrote:

> Our "new potatoes" are usually two inches across. I did a little research and apparently our Trader Joe's sells tine potatoes. We just got Trader Joe's, so i will check it out. The potatoes at the restaurant were no more than one inch across. And yes, they were very tender and delicious.

Red potatoes are very tender and delicious no matter what the size.
You pay too much for the tiny 1" potatoes of any variety, imo.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/06/2014 11:35 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/21/2014 1:27 PM, dalep wrote:
>> On Saturday, June 21, 2014 11:12:29 AM UTC-6, Janet wrote:
>>> In article >,
>>>
>>> says...

>>> Got a new chef, manager recently. We decided to give it a try for a
>>>
>>> little birthday dinner. I had the duck breast, and it was wonderful.
>>>
>>> The best thing was the vegetable served with it. It was tiny, tender
>>>
>>> Brussels sprouts and teeny-tiny potatoes. I have never seen potatoes
>>>
>>> that small, they were about 1 inch across.
>>>

>>> Don't they sell those in US supermarkets?
>>>

>>> In UK they are called (and sold as) "new potatoes", the first of the
>>>
>>> season's crop, very tender and delicious.
>>>

>>> Janet UK

>> Our "new potatoes" are usually two inches across. I did a little
>> research and apparently our Trader Joe's sells tine potatoes. We just
>> got Trader Joe's, so i will check it out. The potatoes at the
>> restaurant were no more than one inch across. And yes, they were very
>> tender and delicious.
>>
>> DaleP
>>

> Were they small thin-skinned red potatoes? I buy them for next to
> nothing from a local farm stand.
>
> You can buy all sorts of tiny potatoes. I won't buy the silly
> "fingerlings" which are *way* overpriced. Takes twice as many potatoes
> to serve 2 people and the cost is ridiculous. They're still just
> potatoes.

Yebbut!! They are delicious!!!! Worth it for special occasions!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 09:35:54 -0700 (PDT), dalep
> wrote:

> There is a restaurant in a hotel near us. The restaurant has had it's ups and downs. Got a new chef, manager recently. We decided to give it a try for a little birthday dinner. I had the duck breast, and it was wonderful. The best thing was the vegetable served with it. It was tiny, tender Brussels sprouts and teeny-tiny potatoes. I have never seen potatoes that small, they were about 1 inch across. The sprouts and the potatoes were halved and cooked with a slight char. They were tender and very delicious. It never occurs to me to take a picture!!
>
> I have been pan frying Brussels sprouts this spring cause I do not want to heat the oven. They come out very nice. Now I just have to find tiny potatoes to add to the mix!
>
> It was a wonderful evening in Denver and we walked about half of the way home. Did a little bar hopping along the way. Mild temp, no wind, a few drops of rain. It was a perfect evening.

Sounds wonderful, thanks for the idea! You're right that those one
inch potatoes are hard to find. You could use fingerlings and cut
them to size - it wouldn't be as cute, but it would work.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dalep" > wrote in message
There is a restaurant in a hotel near us. The restaurant has had it's ups
and downs. Got a new chef, manager recently. We decided to give it a try
for a little birthday dinner. I had the duck breast, and it was wonderful.
The best thing was the vegetable served with it. It was tiny, tender
Brussels sprouts and teeny-tiny potatoes. I have never seen potatoes that
small, they were about 1 inch across. The sprouts and the potatoes were
halved and cooked with a slight char. They were tender and very delicious.
It never occurs to me to take a picture!!

---------

Please don't take pictures of your food. This has become probably one of
the most ridiculous overshares on the Internet. We have enough cat pictures
and enough pictures of lasagna. Enough is enough. Eat your food.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like an old family recipe of red potato salad with green peppers, celery, Bermuda onions, hard boiled eggs and Italian dressing. Boil the potatoes, of course- it HAS to be served at room temperature, delicious.

I sometimes buy those packages of red, brown and purple potatoes. They're great, just boiled with parsley and butter, or cut up thin and sautéed for home fries with a little onion- or, I'll have to try them with Brussels sprouts.

I had Brussels spouts in a restaurant once where they steamed them, then cut them in half and fried them with a touch of balsamic vinegar. Unexpectedly delicious, and I've done that at home since.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> I grow them, specially to eat tiny. The first lot are always eaten as
> a plate of nothing but little baby potatoes, steamed with mint then
> served hot with butter, sheer heaven.

Mint? That sounds just *wrong* to me. What's with you UK people and
your mint on lamb and now potatoes. Just in my opinion...mint is for
chewing gum and that's it. Mint on any real food? Please no.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:50:29 PM UTC-6, Janet wrote:
> In article >, says...
>

> > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> > > "Janet" > wrote in message

> > > t...

says...

> > > Those are smaller than new, I think. We can get them but not every store

> > > has them and only perhaps once a year.

> > Maybe they're just cut to a small size regular potatoes, like the *baby*

> > carrots. ;-)

> Oh, so you've never seen them either? They are cooked and served in
>
> their skins; it's too delicate to peel.
>

> Janet UK

Janet is right. The ones I had were about one inch across and cut in half. They had the skins on and were not red potatoes. The texture and taste was distinct. They were very good. Our local King Soopers (Kroger) or Safeway may have them at times, but I have never noticed them. I do buy the two inch red "new potatoes" at times.

And yes, I am glad I do not take pictures of my food. I like my food to be hot, but I am a slow eater. Therefore I start eating when my plate is set in front of me.

DaleP
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
t...
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 20:30:28 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>>
>> > In article >,
says...

>> > I grow them, specially to eat tiny.
>> >

>> So, the people who grow them or can buy them at a local farm stand
>> think everyone can find them easily. Interesting.

> Fer crying out loud.. it was a response to Gary's price objection.
>
> If I didn't grow them I could EASILY FIND and buy them in any UK
> supermarket from May onward. I WOULD (and DO) buy them regardless of
> price, before my own crop is ready.Yes they are more expensive in the
> smkt than maincrop potatoes, but I'm worth it.
>
> There are many foods that are vastly superior picked straight from
> the garden to the kitchen to the plate; new potatoes are one of them,
> along with peas, sweetcorn, lettuce. You can't buy that quality at any
> price.
>
> Janet UK

Well that size is not readily available here. And I disagree on the
lettuce. Sure if it is leaf, it grows like crazy and is cheap to grow. But
it's not any better than what you can get at the store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Janet wrote:
>>
>> I grow them, specially to eat tiny. The first lot are always eaten as
>> a plate of nothing but little baby potatoes, steamed with mint then
>> served hot with butter, sheer heaven.

> Mint? That sounds just *wrong* to me. What's with you UK people and
> your mint on lamb and now potatoes. Just in my opinion...mint is for
> chewing gum and that's it. Mint on any real food? Please no.

Sounded wrong to me too. Just like the peanut butter and mint jelly
sandwich I had to eat at Girl Scout camp. I was hungry and I reasoned that
I liked mint but... Just no.

I have heard of minted peas. Don't think I have ever tried them. Mostly I
like my veggies plain. Salt, pepper, parsley and onions are okay in most
things. I might do some oregano, rosemary or paprika on roasted potatoes.
Actually the chili powder was good too. But I can't imagine mint.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
t...
> In article >, says...
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Janet" > wrote in message
>> > t...

says...

>> > Those are smaller than new, I think. We can get them but not every
>> > store
>> > has them and only perhaps once a year.

>> Maybe they're just cut to a small size regular potatoes, like the *baby*
>> carrots. ;-)

> Oh, so you've never seen them either? They are cooked and served in
> their skins; it's too delicate to peel.

I'm telling you, they are not common here. Haven't even seem them at Whole
Foods. Have only ever seem them at Central Market but they have the largest
produce department that I've ever seen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>> Maybe they're just cut to a small size regular potatoes, like the *baby*
>> carrots. ;-)

> No. I was going to say that they were creamer potatoes but had a feeling
> that someone would say that was wrong. But then sw confirmed it. But
> what the "creamer" refers to, I do not know.

It was a joke, that's what the winky face is for.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:03:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Sure if it is leaf, it grows like crazy and is cheap to grow. But
> it's not any better than what you can get at the store.

That's true.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:06:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Sounded wrong to me too. Just like the peanut butter and mint jelly
> sandwich I had to eat at Girl Scout camp.

Seriously???? That's why my dummy hubby hates mint to this day so
much - only he did it to himself voluntarily. I guess he'd never
eaten mint jelly before and that was the only jelly in the house, so
he paired it with peanut butter. Gah.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:09:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> what the "creamer" refers to, I do not know.

It's probably a reference to "creamed"... but I can't say anymore
about it because my mother didn't do/like those things. Her mother
would make "creamed" onions every now and then and that's all I know
about "creamed" anything. I thought they were pretty good tasting,
but I knew better than to ask my mother to make them.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:11:04 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I'm telling you, they are not common here. Haven't even seem them at Whole
> Foods. Have only ever seem them at Central Market but they have the largest
> produce department that I've ever seen.

I think they are a once a year, holiday type thing. I know I've seen
them, but can't tell you when or where.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Creamers (WAS: Best side ever)

On 6/22/2014 12:45 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:09:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> what the "creamer" refers to, I do not know.

> It's probably a reference to "creamed"... but I can't say anymore
> about it because my mother didn't do/like those things. Her mother
> would make "creamed" onions every now and then and that's all I know
> about "creamed" anything. I thought they were pretty good tasting,
> but I knew better than to ask my mother to make them.

What I know as "creamers" are small red ("new") potatoes. They're
advertised as such at Publix in the spring. Creamers and green beans is
something my mom told me about. I was visiting shortly after they moved
here and we went shopping. Mom said, "Oh! I'll make creamers and
beans!" What?

It's a spring dish of small new potatoes and green beans. Cooked, then
tossed together with a white sauce. Served as a side dish. I'd never
heard of it before. I have to say, it was a pretty damn boring
side-dish. Then again, Mom never was much into seasoning.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:06:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Sounded wrong to me too. Just like the peanut butter and mint jelly
>> sandwich I had to eat at Girl Scout camp.

> Seriously???? That's why my dummy hubby hates mint to this day so
> much - only he did it to himself voluntarily. I guess he'd never
> eaten mint jelly before and that was the only jelly in the house, so
> he paired it with peanut butter. Gah.

Apparently one of the counselors thought that would be funny. We got to
make our own sandwiches so I guess I could have opted not to have it but I
was only 8 and we were all talked into eating it. Were told it was very
good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:09:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> what the "creamer" refers to, I do not know.

> It's probably a reference to "creamed"... but I can't say anymore
> about it because my mother didn't do/like those things. Her mother
> would make "creamed" onions every now and then and that's all I know
> about "creamed" anything. I thought they were pretty good tasting,
> but I knew better than to ask my mother to make them.

I wouldn't think you could make these like creamed onions or spinach because
as I said, once cooked, those skins didn't want to pop. So they would just
sort of sit there and not mix in.

Jam side up Koko General Cooking 16 01-03-2007 02:16 PM
What to put on the side? Jude General Cooking 19 26-01-2006 01:54 AM
Black Assam and English Breakfast side-by-side toci Tea 1 08-10-2005 05:40 PM
GE Monogram side by side versus bottom freezer? Kent H. Cooking Equipment 3 18-02-2004 04:05 PM
Question on a Side-by-Side Refrig. Vox Humana Cooking Equipment 4 03-12-2003 03:40 AM