Old 21-06-2014, 05:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best side ever

There is a restaurant in a hotel near us. The restaurant has had it's ups and downs. Got a new chef, manager recently. We decided to give it a try for a little birthday dinner. I had the duck breast, and it was wonderful. The best thing was the vegetable served with it. It was tiny, tender Brussels sprouts and teeny-tiny potatoes. I have never seen potatoes that small, they were about 1 inch across. The sprouts and the potatoes were halved and cooked with a slight char. They were tender and very delicious. It never occurs to me to take a picture!!

I have been pan frying Brussels sprouts this spring cause I do not want to heat the oven. They come out very nice. Now I just have to find tiny potatoes to add to the mix!

It was a wonderful evening in Denver and we walked about half of the way home. Did a little bar hopping along the way. Mild temp, no wind, a few drops of rain. It was a perfect evening.

DaleP

Old 21-06-2014, 05:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2014 12:35 PM, dalep wrote:
[...]

Sounds good! I'm glad you had a good time and a good meal.

Jill
Old 21-06-2014, 07:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

dalep wrote:

Our "new potatoes" are usually two inches across. I did a little research and apparently our Trader Joe's sells tine potatoes. We just got Trader Joe's, so i will check it out. The potatoes at the restaurant were no more than one inch across. And yes, they were very tender and delicious.

Red potatoes are very tender and delicious no matter what the size.
You pay too much for the tiny 1" potatoes of any variety, imo.

G.

Old 21-06-2014, 07:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/06/2014 11:35 AM, jmcquown wrote:
On 6/21/2014 1:27 PM, dalep wrote:
On Saturday, June 21, 2014 11:12:29 AM UTC-6, Janet wrote:
In article ,

says...

There is a restaurant in a hotel near us. The restaurant has had
it's ups and downs.

Got a new chef, manager recently. We decided to give it a try for a

little birthday dinner. I had the duck breast, and it was wonderful.

The best thing was the vegetable served with it. It was tiny, tender

Brussels sprouts and teeny-tiny potatoes. I have never seen potatoes

that small, they were about 1 inch across.

Don't they sell those in US supermarkets?

In UK they are called (and sold as) "new potatoes", the first of the

season's crop, very tender and delicious.

Janet UK

Our "new potatoes" are usually two inches across. I did a little
research and apparently our Trader Joe's sells tine potatoes. We just
got Trader Joe's, so i will check it out. The potatoes at the
restaurant were no more than one inch across. And yes, they were very
tender and delicious.

DaleP

Were they small thin-skinned red potatoes? I buy them for next to
nothing from a local farm stand.

You can buy all sorts of tiny potatoes. I won't buy the silly
"fingerlings" which are *way* overpriced. Takes twice as many potatoes
to serve 2 people and the cost is ridiculous. They're still just
potatoes.

Yebbut!! They are delicious!!!! Worth it for special occasions!
Graham

Old 21-06-2014, 08:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 09:35:54 -0700 (PDT), dalep
wrote:

[...]

Sounds wonderful, thanks for the idea! You're right that those one
inch potatoes are hard to find. You could use fingerlings and cut
them to size - it wouldn't be as cute, but it would work.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Jam side up Koko General Cooking 16 01-03-2007 02:16 PM
What to put on the side? Jude General Cooking 19 26-01-2006 01:54 AM
Black Assam and English Breakfast side-by-side toci Tea 1 08-10-2005 05:40 PM
GE Monogram side by side versus bottom freezer? Kent H. Cooking Equipment 3 18-02-2004 04:05 PM
Question on a Side-by-Side Refrig. Vox Humana Cooking Equipment 4 03-12-2003 03:40 AM