Old 25-01-2006, 07:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Jude

Default What to put on the side?

I'm not findinf a lot of inspiration for dinner tonight. I'm in the
mood for a nic thick hot soup, so I'm going to do split pea with
homemade croutons on top. I'm tired of the sup/salad combo; we've had
several big yummy salads this week. What should I serve alongside? (no
mean please) I was thinking of maybe some kind of fruit salad, but of
course bieng winter the options are limited. The apples this week were
all soft and icky, othersie I'd be thinking about Waldorf Salad.

Maybe some kind of barley pilaf with stock and nuts would go well. Hm
Help me out here!

Old 25-01-2006, 08:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Jude" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm not findinf a lot of inspiration for dinner tonight. I'm in the
mood for a nic thick hot soup, so I'm going to do split pea with
homemade croutons on top. I'm tired of the sup/salad combo; we've had
several big yummy salads this week. What should I serve alongside? (no
mean please) I was thinking of maybe some kind of fruit salad, but of
course bieng winter the options are limited. The apples this week were
all soft and icky, othersie I'd be thinking about Waldorf Salad.

Maybe some kind of barley pilaf with stock and nuts would go well. Hm
Help me out here!

Waldorf salad sounds all wrong next to that soup anyway. Two round tastes at
the same time. Bad. I'd serve something with a little edge to it. Sliced
tomatoes with slivers of fresh mozzarella, and a balsamic vinaigrette.

Old 25-01-2006, 08:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Jude wrote:
I'm not findinf a lot of inspiration for dinner tonight. I'm in the
mood for a nic thick hot soup, so I'm going to do split pea with
homemade croutons on top. I'm tired of the sup/salad combo; we've had
several big yummy salads this week. What should I serve alongside? (no
mean please) I was thinking of maybe some kind of fruit salad, but of
course bieng winter the options are limited. The apples this week were
all soft and icky, othersie I'd be thinking about Waldorf Salad.

Maybe some kind of barley pilaf with stock and nuts would go well. Hm
Help me out here!

I know you said no salad, but maybe you just meant green salad. All
these flavors go well with split peas.

3 Cups shredded carrot
1 Cup raisins (regular or golden)
1 TB salad oil
1 TB honey
2 TB lemon juice
2 TB orange juice
pinch nutmeg

Toss it all together while the soup is cooking. Cover and refrigerate
to blend flavors. -aem

Old 25-01-2006, 08:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Jude

aem wrote:
Jude wrote:
[...]

Ooooh, it's been forever since I've made a carrot/raisin salad! What a
good idea....if I have enough carrots left after some go in the soup.
Crunchy and a little sweet. And my food processor died last week, so i
just bought a new one - this gives me a chance to try out the grater on
the carrots!

Oh yeah, and you read me right - I meant no green, lettuce-based salad
tonight. Thanks for the idea, your recipe sounds like a good one!

Old 25-01-2006, 08:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Jude

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Jude" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm not findinf a lot of inspiration for dinner tonight. I'm in the
mood for a nic thick hot soup, so I'm going to do split pea with
homemade croutons on top. I'm tired of the sup/salad combo; we've had
several big yummy salads this week. What should I serve alongside? (no
mean please) I was thinking of maybe some kind of fruit salad, but of
course bieng winter the options are limited. The apples this week were
all soft and icky, othersie I'd be thinking about Waldorf Salad.

Maybe some kind of barley pilaf with stock and nuts would go well. Hm
Help me out here!

Waldorf salad sounds all wrong next to that soup anyway. Two round tastes at
the same time. Bad. I'd serve something with a little edge to it. Sliced
tomatoes with slivers of fresh mozzarella, and a balsamic vinaigrette.

I'm curious....what do you mean by "two round tastes"? I was going for
the textural contrast, something crunchy alongside the soup.

Somehow tomaotoes/basil/balsamic doesn't hit me as the right tastes
against the soft, smoothness of a pea soup. I want somehting that jumps
out at you a little more, crunchy, cool or cold, a little sharp. But
thanks for the idea.

Old 25-01-2006, 08:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 25 Jan 2006 01:22:06p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jude?

aem wrote:
Jude wrote:
[...]

Pretty, too, along side a bowl of green.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Old 25-01-2006, 08:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
L'Espérance

Jude wrote:

I'm not findinf a lot of inspiration for dinner tonight. I'm in the
mood for a nic thick hot soup, so I'm going to do split pea with
homemade croutons on top. I'm tired of the sup/salad combo; we've had
several big yummy salads this week. What should I serve alongside? (no
mean please) I was thinking of maybe some kind of fruit salad, but of
course bieng winter the options are limited. The apples this week were
all soft and icky, othersie I'd be thinking about Waldorf Salad.

Maybe some kind of barley pilaf with stock and nuts would go well. Hm
Help me out here!

I'd nix the croutons and serve the soup in a multi-grain bread bowl
sitting on a bed of spinach or romain lettuce. Garnish with a mini
dollop of sour cream for accent. The remainding insides and top of the
bread bowls can be used for dipping if desired. This in itself would be
a hearty meal sans salad. If you really want a salad make a robust one
to bring out the flavour of the soup. Perhaps a spinach salad to echo
the base under the bowl. Simple and easy, spinach salad would really do
it with very little effort and the bacon would echo the ham flavour in
the soup. I would go lighter for dessert after such a robust meal. A
small bowl of vanilla ice cream topped with just a wee bit of cream de
mint and garnished with a mint leaf comes to mind *even* though none of
the desert would echo the main meal.
Old 25-01-2006, 08:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Jude" wrote in message
oups.com...
Doug Kanter wrote:
"Jude" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I've never been able to explain this to anyone, other than to say that I
visualize the shapes of various tastes and smells. Pea soup's round.
Lemonade is edgy. So are tomatoes, usually. Sometimes I think various parts
of a dinner should share some qualities, and sometimes not. Pea soup's got a
pretty powerful flavor and scent. Sort of like a blanket. The scent of
tomatoes and vinegar seems right to me alongside that soup. If you want
crunch on the side, forget the croutons and serve toasted garlic rounds on
the side, made from some sort of excellent bread.

Somehow tomaotoes/basil/balsamic doesn't hit me as the right tastes
against the soft, smoothness of a pea soup. I want somehting that jumps
out at you a little more, crunchy, cool or cold, a little sharp. But
thanks for the idea.

Add some thick chunks of red onion with the tomatoes, then.

Old 25-01-2006, 08:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Jude

L'Espérance wrote:
Jude wrote:

[...]

Perhaps you missed the part where I said my family is tired of green
salads / lettuce. We had a fabulous spinach salad last night and a baby
green / goat cheese / veg salad the night before, and caesar over the
weekend. We're lettuced out.

I also have no bread bowls on hand; I'm trying to work without a run to
the store. We love soup in bread bowls, but I usually save that
approach for creamier stuff like chowder or potato soup. I'm looking
for simple side ideas that would round the dinner out nutritionally. I
was going for barley to try to add some whole grains into the meal.

But thanks, of course, for the ideas, It's always iteresting to think
about how others would fill out your main dish to make it a meal.
So far best I've got is the soup (on the stove now) topped with garlicy
croutons with sides of barley pilaf and carrot raisin salad. Dessert is
covered - I made chocoaltey brownie cookies last night.

Old 25-01-2006, 08:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Jude

Doug Kanter wrote:

I'm curious....what do you mean by "two round tastes"? I was going for
the textural contrast, something crunchy alongside the soup.

I've never been able to explain this to anyone, other than to say that I
visualize the shapes of various tastes and smells. Pea soup's round.
Lemonade is edgy. So are tomatoes, usually. Sometimes I think various parts
of a dinner should share some qualities, and sometimes not. Pea soup's got a
pretty powerful flavor and scent. Sort of like a blanket. The scent of
tomatoes and vinegar seems right to me alongside that soup. If you want
crunch on the side, forget the croutons and serve toasted garlic rounds on
the side, made from some sort of excellent bread.

Huh, that's interesting. See, in my perception, split pea soup is
smooth and thick, almost like a comfort food, no sharp edges. But I do
like to add a splash of vinegar right at the end; that gives it a
little sharpness and acidity.

Tomatoes I could see better alongside lentils, but somehow it doesn't
hit me as right against peas, texture and flavorwise. My mouth is
thinking crunchy, cold, a little sweet. The mozzarella would be all
wrong. The tomaotoes, okay, the idea of onions and vinegar, a little
better.

Maybe I'll slice up a few cucumbers and sweet onions into some rice
wine vinegar as a side. That would still go crisp and sharp and
crunchy.

The courtons are a must for me in split pea soup. Besides, my half a
loaf of bakery sourdough is too stale for anything else.

Old 25-01-2006, 09:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
L'Espérance

Jude wrote:

L'Espérance wrote:

Jude wrote:

[...]

I did and sorry. We eat salads daily so I never thought anything about it.

I also have no bread bowls on hand; I'm trying to work without a run to
the store. We love soup in bread bowls, but I usually save that
approach for creamier stuff like chowder or potato soup. I'm looking
for simple side ideas that would round the dinner out nutritionally. I
was going for barley to try to add some whole grains into the meal.

I would just whip out the bread machine or mixer and make my own.
Cheaper, easier, and better tasting with a heck of a lot less preservatives.

But thanks, of course, for the ideas, It's always iteresting to think
about how others would fill out your main dish to make it a meal.
So far best I've got is the soup (on the stove now) topped with garlicy
croutons with sides of barley pilaf and carrot raisin salad. Dessert is
covered - I made chocoaltey brownie cookies last night.

Good luck with your dinner.
Old 25-01-2006, 09:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25-Jan-2006, "Jude" wrote:

I'm not findinf a lot of inspiration for dinner tonight. I'm in the
mood for a nic thick hot soup, so I'm going to do split pea with
homemade croutons on top. I'm tired of the sup/salad combo; we've had
several big yummy salads this week. What should I serve alongside?

SNIP
Maybe some kind of barley pilaf with stock and nuts would go well. Hm
Help me out here!

1 Cup cooked barley or wheatberries
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (pieces about twice the size of barley/wheatberries)
1/4 cup diced celery (pieces about twice the size of barley/wheatberries)
1/4 cup diced red onion (optional, they've been too "hot" lately)
sometimes I add red/yellow/green bell pepper, sometimes not
vinaigrette to moisten (I prefer raspberry but balsamic or others will do)
toss to combine, chill on top shelf of 'fridge for an hour to let
ingredients become acquainted

2 serviings; easily doubled or otherwise scaled up.

Jam side up Koko General Cooking 16 01-03-2007 02:16 PM
Black Assam and English Breakfast side-by-side toci Tea 1 08-10-2005 05:40 PM
GE Monogram side by side versus bottom freezer? Kent H. Cooking Equipment 3 18-02-2004 04:05 PM
Question on a Side-by-Side Refrig. Vox Humana Cooking Equipment 4 03-12-2003 03:40 AM
which side are you on Karim al-Mihmadi Wine 0 30-10-2003 02:10 AM