Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Creamers (WAS: Best side ever)

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/22/2014 12:45 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:09:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> what the "creamer" refers to, I do not know.

>> It's probably a reference to "creamed"... but I can't say anymore
>> about it because my mother didn't do/like those things. Her mother
>> would make "creamed" onions every now and then and that's all I know
>> about "creamed" anything. I thought they were pretty good tasting,
>> but I knew better than to ask my mother to make them.
>>

> What I know as "creamers" are small red ("new") potatoes. They're
> advertised as such at Publix in the spring. Creamers and green beans is
> something my mom told me about. I was visiting shortly after they moved
> here and we went shopping. Mom said, "Oh! I'll make creamers and beans!"
> What?
>
> It's a spring dish of small new potatoes and green beans. Cooked, then
> tossed together with a white sauce. Served as a side dish. I'd never
> heard of it before. I have to say, it was a pretty damn boring side-dish.
> Then again, Mom never was much into seasoning.

Hmmm... I have done roasted potatoes and green beans with tomatoes. Also a
potato and green bean salad. I liked them. But... Nobody else did.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best side ever

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:11:04 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm telling you, they are not common here. Haven't even seem them at
>> Whole
>> Foods. Have only ever seem them at Central Market but they have the
>> largest
>> produce department that I've ever seen.

> I think they are a once a year, holiday type thing. I know I've seen
> them, but can't tell you when or where.

I can't remember the time of year when I bought them. Just know that the
one time I was pressed for time and stupidly thought I could get mashed ones
in a hurry from them. Nope.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 12:56:28 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> Please don't take pictures of your food. This has become probably one of
>> the most ridiculous overshares on the Internet. We have enough cat
>> pictures
>> and enough pictures of lasagna. Enough is enough. Eat your food.

> Stop being such a prude.
>
> Food pictures will flourish while you die.
>
> -sw

Eh. My mailbox pics gonna rule!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 23:38:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:09:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> what the "creamer" refers to, I do not know.

> > It's probably a reference to "creamed"... but I can't say anymore
> > about it because my mother didn't do/like those things. Her mother
> > would make "creamed" onions every now and then and that's all I know
> > about "creamed" anything. I thought they were pretty good tasting,
> > but I knew better than to ask my mother to make them.
> >

> I wouldn't think you could make these like creamed onions or spinach because
> as I said, once cooked, those skins didn't want to pop. So they would just
> sort of sit there and not mix in.

"Creamed" doesn't mean they break down. They are in some sort of a
cream sauce, probably béchamel.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 23:38:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:09:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > It's probably a reference to "creamed"... but I can't say anymore
>> > about it because my mother didn't do/like those things. Her mother
>> > would make "creamed" onions every now and then and that's all I know
>> > about "creamed" anything. I thought they were pretty good tasting,
>> > but I knew better than to ask my mother to make them.
>> >

>> I wouldn't think you could make these like creamed onions or spinach
>> because
>> as I said, once cooked, those skins didn't want to pop. So they would
>> just
>> sort of sit there and not mix in.

> "Creamed" doesn't mean they break down. They are in some sort of a
> cream sauce, probably béchamel.

True but it seems like it would seep into the potatoes if they were cut or
smashed in some way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:09:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> what the "creamer" refers to, I do not know.

> It's probably a reference to "creamed"... but I can't say anymore
> about it because my mother didn't do/like those things. Her mother
> would make "creamed" onions every now and then and that's all I know
> about "creamed" anything. I thought they were pretty good tasting,
> but I knew better than to ask my mother to make them.

But were they creamed in the sense you cream butter and sugar or did they
have cream as a sauce?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 21:50:29 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
says...

says...

> >> Maybe they're just cut to a small size regular potatoes, like the *baby*
> >> carrots. ;-)

> > Oh, so you've never seen them either? They are cooked and served in
> >their skins; it's too delicate to peel.

> I wouldn't peel them anyway. I love the skin on new potatoes.

IF some weird person did not like/want the skins on, all they need
do is gently pinch a hot cooked new potato between finger and thumb and
it will pop out of its skin bare nekkid. That's how fragile the skins
are.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:09:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> what the "creamer" refers to, I do not know.

>> It's probably a reference to "creamed"... but I can't say anymore
>> about it because my mother didn't do/like those things. Her mother
>> would make "creamed" onions every now and then and that's all I know
>> about "creamed" anything. I thought they were pretty good tasting,
>> but I knew better than to ask my mother to make them.

> But were they creamed in the sense you cream butter and sugar or did they
> have cream as a sauce?

Creamed onions are in a cream sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:09:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> It's probably a reference to "creamed"... but I can't say anymore
>>> about it because my mother didn't do/like those things. Her mother
>>> would make "creamed" onions every now and then and that's all I know
>>> about "creamed" anything. I thought they were pretty good tasting,
>>> but I knew better than to ask my mother to make them.

>> But were they creamed in the sense you cream butter and sugar or did they
>> have cream as a sauce?

> Creamed onions are in a cream sauce.

Thanks.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
t...
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 21:50:29 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>>
>> >In article >,
says...

says...

>> > Oh, so you've never seen them either? They are cooked and served in
>> >their skins; it's too delicate to peel.

>> I wouldn't peel them anyway. I love the skin on new potatoes.

> IF some weird person did not like/want the skins on, all they need
> do is gently pinch a hot cooked new potato between finger and thumb and
> it will pop out of its skin bare nekkid. That's how fragile the skins
> are.
>
> Janet UK

That's not how these creamers were that I bought. Very tough skins on the
tiny things. I think the difference is that you grow your own. I was
watching some show on potatoes once. Victory Garden? I think. They
explained that if cooked when freshly dug up, the skins are very thin and
fragile. But let them sit for even a few hours and the skins toughen up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2014 6:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:09:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> what the "creamer" refers to, I do not know.

>> It's probably a reference to "creamed"... but I can't say anymore
>> about it because my mother didn't do/like those things. Her mother
>> would make "creamed" onions every now and then and that's all I know
>> about "creamed" anything. I thought they were pretty good tasting,
>> but I knew better than to ask my mother to make them.

> But were they creamed in the sense you cream butter and sugar or did
> they have cream as a sauce?

Cream sauce. Bechamel. Start with your basic white sauce...

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2014 2:41 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 12:56:28 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>>
>>> Please don't take pictures of your food. This has become probably
>>> one of
>>> the most ridiculous overshares on the Internet. We have enough cat
>>> pictures
>>> and enough pictures of lasagna. Enough is enough. Eat your food.

>> Stop being such a prude.
>>
>> Food pictures will flourish while you die.
>>
>> -sw

> Eh. My mailbox pics gonna rule!

But I beat you to it!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/22/2014 6:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:09:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> It's probably a reference to "creamed"... but I can't say anymore
>>> about it because my mother didn't do/like those things. Her mother
>>> would make "creamed" onions every now and then and that's all I know
>>> about "creamed" anything. I thought they were pretty good tasting,
>>> but I knew better than to ask my mother to make them.

>> But were they creamed in the sense you cream butter and sugar or did
>> they have cream as a sauce?
>>

> Cream sauce. Bechamel. Start with your basic white sauce...

Thanks
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Creamer potatoes are... - Was: Best side ever

On 6/22/2014 12:54 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 21-Jun-2014, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>>> Maybe they're just cut to a small size regular potatoes, like the *baby*
>>>
>>> carrots. ;-)

>> No. I was going to say that they were creamer potatoes but had a feeling
>> that someone would say that was wrong. But then sw confirmed it. But
>> what the "creamer" refers to, I do not know.

> "Creamer potatoes are varieties of potatoes harvested before they mature to
> keep them small and tender. They are generally either Yukon Gold potatoes
> or Red potatoes , called gold creamers or red creamers respectively, and
> measure approximately one inch in diameter.
> The skin of creamer potatoes is waxy and high in moisture content, and the
> flesh contains a lower level of starch than other potatoes, which makes it
> suitable for boiling."
>
> Thus spoke Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creamer_potato

Thus spake me, too. The creamers around here are the small red "new"
potatoes. Waxy, yep. Tossed with cooked green beans tossed in a white
"cream sauce". It's a pretty boring side dish. YMMV.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 21-Jun-2014, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> > Maybe they're just cut to a small size regular potatoes, like the
>> > *baby*
>> >
>> > carrots. ;-)

>> No. I was going to say that they were creamer potatoes but had a feeling
>> that someone would say that was wrong. But then sw confirmed it. But
>> what
>> the "creamer" refers to, I do not know.

> "Creamer potatoes are varieties of potatoes harvested before they mature
> keep them small and tender. They are generally either Yukon Gold potatoes
> or Red potatoes , called gold creamers or red creamers respectively, and
> measure approximately one inch in diameter.
> The skin of creamer potatoes is waxy and high in moisture content, and the
> flesh contains a lower level of starch than other potatoes, which makes
> it
> suitable for boiling."
>
> Thus spoke Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creamer_potato

Thanks! They are good when boiled. But I seem to be the only one who likes
boiled potatoes here. I did some once for my in-laws that were fancy. Not
creamers but small red ones. Recipe said to peel a thin strip around the
middle. I did but I don't think it accomplished anything. I think it was
just to make them pretty. They were then boiled and served with a sauce
made of butter and lemon juice. I think there was parsley, salt and pepper
in there too. People did like those.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 15:38:33 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> I don't recall ever boiling potatoes; however, I do steam new potatoes
> regularly. The result is similar to that I recall of the boiled ones my
> grandmother made. Steamed or roasted, new potatoes are about the only
> potatoes I eat - except the occasional french fry.

I guess it's all with what you were raised with. I rarely buy red
potatoes, because they don't ring any bells for me. Yellow are okay,
but not my favorite. My favorite is russet. That's what my mother
baked, she also boiled them for mashed and "smashed". I didn't like
it when she got the brown, thinner skinned, not as fluffy potatoes to
boil and mash or smash.

To this day, when I buy a bag of potatoes - they are the russet
variety.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message
eb.com...

> I don't recall ever boiling potatoes; however, I do steam new potatoes
> regularly. The result is similar to that I recall of the boiled ones my
> grandmother made. Steamed or roasted, new potatoes are about the only
> potatoes I eat - except the occasional french fry.

The only potatoes I boil are in preparation for roasting them. Once part
cooked, I drain and rough them up in the pan before turning them onto a
roasting tray.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> Keep chewing gum so you can keep kidding yourself your breath, and
> house and ferret don't smell like ferret.

LOL! I love that comment!

> Well, until you start eating real food that doesn't taste like ferret
> wee, you'll never know :-)

heheheheh :-D

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message
eb.com...

> I don't recall ever boiling potatoes; however, I do steam new potatoes
> regularly. The result is similar to that I recall of the boiled ones my
> grandmother made. Steamed or roasted, new potatoes are about the only
> potatoes I eat - except the occasional french fry.

I don't like most steamed food. I think perhaps people who make it just
don't add seasonings. That's how they taste to me anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 15:38:33 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
>
>> I don't recall ever boiling potatoes; however, I do steam new potatoes
>> regularly. The result is similar to that I recall of the boiled ones my
>> grandmother made. Steamed or roasted, new potatoes are about the only
>> potatoes I eat - except the occasional french fry.

> I guess it's all with what you were raised with. I rarely buy red
> potatoes, because they don't ring any bells for me. Yellow are okay,
> but not my favorite. My favorite is russet. That's what my mother
> baked, she also boiled them for mashed and "smashed". I didn't like
> it when she got the brown, thinner skinned, not as fluffy potatoes to
> boil and mash or smash.
>
> To this day, when I buy a bag of potatoes - they are the russet
> variety.

My mom only ever bought Russet. Yukon Gold are my favorite or something
whose name escapes me. Similar inside but with a pinkish skin. Rose Gold?
Maybe. I don't really care for the blue ones. They're fine roasted in a
mix of potatoes but it's the color that I don't like. I do like that color.
I just don't like eating it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2014 8:13 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "l not -l" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>
>> I don't recall ever boiling potatoes; however, I do steam new potatoes
>> regularly. The result is similar to that I recall of the boiled ones my
>> grandmother made. Steamed or roasted, new potatoes are about the only
>> potatoes I eat - except the occasional french fry.

> I don't like most steamed food. I think perhaps people who make it just
> don't add seasonings. That's how they taste to me anyway.

Steaming is merely the method of cooking. The fact someone doesn't add
seasonings is an entirely different issue. I steam most vegetables.

The potatoes I boil are cut up russets, because that's what I grew up
with. Naturally they are then drained, tossed with butter, S&P and
whatever herb strikes my fancy.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 21, 2014 1:35:25 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

> Were they small thin-skinned red potatoes? I buy them for next to
> nothing from a local farm stand.
>
> You can buy all sorts of tiny potatoes. I won't buy the silly
> "fingerlings" which are *way* overpriced. Takes twice as many potatoes
> to serve 2 people and the cost is ridiculous. They're still just
> potatoes.
>
> Jill

But the fingerlings taste so good.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 05:40:07 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

> On Saturday, June 21, 2014 1:35:25 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > Were they small thin-skinned red potatoes? I buy them for next to
> > nothing from a local farm stand.
> >
> > You can buy all sorts of tiny potatoes. I won't buy the silly
> > "fingerlings" which are *way* overpriced. Takes twice as many potatoes
> > to serve 2 people and the cost is ridiculous. They're still just
> > potatoes.
> >
> > Jill

> But the fingerlings taste so good.

People spend the money on them because they're cute and they are an
easy way to "fancy up" potatoes when doing next to nothing to them.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/24/2014 12:56 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 05:40:07 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> > wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, June 21, 2014 1:35:25 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> Were they small thin-skinned red potatoes? I buy them for next to
>>> nothing from a local farm stand.
>>>
>>> You can buy all sorts of tiny potatoes. I won't buy the silly
>>> "fingerlings" which are *way* overpriced. Takes twice as many potatoes
>>> to serve 2 people and the cost is ridiculous. They're still just
>>> potatoes.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> But the fingerlings taste so good.
>>

> People spend the money on them because they're cute and they are an
> easy way to "fancy up" potatoes when doing next to nothing to them.

I've paid for them when dining out. Yes, they taste good. I'm still
not paying exhorbitant prices for a wee bag of fingerlings to cook at
home because they're cute.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-06-24 1:24 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> But the fingerlings taste so good.
>>>

>> People spend the money on them because they're cute and they are an
>> easy way to "fancy up" potatoes when doing next to nothing to them.
>>

> I've paid for them when dining out. Yes, they taste good. I'm still
> not paying exhorbitant prices for a wee bag of fingerlings to cook at
> home because they're cute.

I like fingerlings and the small new potatoes. I don't like paying as
much for a small quart basic of them as I would for a 10 lb bag of real
potatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 13:24:52 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 6/24/2014 12:56 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 05:40:07 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> > > wrote:

> >> But the fingerlings taste so good.
> >>

> > People spend the money on them because they're cute and they are an
> > easy way to "fancy up" potatoes when doing next to nothing to them.
> >

> I've paid for them when dining out. Yes, they taste good. I'm still
> not paying exhorbitant prices for a wee bag of fingerlings to cook at
> home because they're cute.

I don't do it just for us, but it's nice for when I have company.
Less work more pizzazz.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:56:02 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 05:40:07 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
>
> > But the fingerlings taste so good.

> People spend the money on them because they're cute and they are an
> easy way to "fancy up" potatoes when doing next to nothing to them.

As you've demonstrated previously, unfortunately you cannot
discern some of the more subtle nuances of flavor.

http:www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:49:45 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:56:02 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 05:40:07 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> >
> > > But the fingerlings taste so good.

> > People spend the money on them because they're cute and they are an
> > easy way to "fancy up" potatoes when doing next to nothing to them.

> As you've demonstrated previously, unfortunately you cannot
> discern some of the more subtle nuances of flavor.

They taste good too, but so what. They're easy and pretty up the
plate.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Jam side up Koko General Cooking 16 01-03-2007 03:16 PM
What to put on the side? Jude General Cooking 19 26-01-2006 02:54 AM
Black Assam and English Breakfast side-by-side toci Tea 1 08-10-2005 05:40 PM
GE Monogram side by side versus bottom freezer? Kent H. Cooking Equipment 3 18-02-2004 05:05 PM
Question on a Side-by-Side Refrig. Vox Humana Cooking Equipment 4 03-12-2003 04:40 AM