Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Good Deal?

Boston Butt Roast $2.99/lb

The sale at Publix is good through 6/18.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2014 1:45 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> Boston Butt Roast $2.99/lb
>
> The sale at Publix is good through 6/18.
>
> Jill

I think I paid about $3.49 for a bone in a couple of weeks ago. Last
year it was much cheaper. Meat is getting expensive. Price of gas
jumped 15 cents too thanks to Iraq troubles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2014 2:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/15/2014 1:45 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Boston Butt Roast $2.99/lb
>>
>> The sale at Publix is good through 6/18.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I think I paid about $3.49 for a bone in a couple of weeks ago. Last
> year it was much cheaper. Meat is getting expensive. Price of gas
> jumped 15 cents too thanks to Iraq troubles.

One issue is whether it has been pumped. I've seen a lot of pork, and
chicken as well, that has a significant amount of added broth. So far
I've seen no beef that way, but I imagine it's just a matter of time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2014 3:50 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 01:45:37 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Boston Butt Roast $2.99/lb
>>
>> The sale at Publix is good through 6/18.

> Texas sets the prices for pork and beef over 7.5lbs. Current market
> price for pork butt and beef brisket here is $2.87/lb.
>
> So yeah - that's a good price for you.
>
> -sw

It sounded like a decent price, thanks Steve. I figure I'll buy a
couple of them. Next up, I'll be asking ideas on cooking it. I may
have bought one when I was married but that was 30 years ago. I don't
remember how I cooked it. I must have done a pretty bad job because I
haven't bought one since. LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2014 2:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/15/2014 1:45 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Boston Butt Roast $2.99/lb
>>
>> The sale at Publix is good through 6/18.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I think I paid about $3.49 for a bone in a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks, Ed. Yes, these are bone-in. The ad says "all natural" but I'll
have to read the label to see if "natural" includes anything other than
the meat. We all know the word natural is meaningless in terms of meat.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 6/15/2014 1:45 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Boston Butt Roast $2.99/lb
>>
>> The sale at Publix is good through 6/18.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I think I paid about $3.49 for a bone in a couple of weeks ago. Last year
> it was much cheaper. Meat is getting expensive. Price of gas jumped 15
> cents too thanks to Iraq troubles.

Yes, it seems like prices are going up daily.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 10:11:50 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 6/15/2014 3:50 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 01:45:37 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> Boston Butt Roast $2.99/lb
> >>
> >> The sale at Publix is good through 6/18.

> > Texas sets the prices for pork and beef over 7.5lbs. Current market
> > price for pork butt and beef brisket here is $2.87/lb.
> >
> > So yeah - that's a good price for you.
> >
> > -sw
> >

> It sounded like a decent price, thanks Steve. I figure I'll buy a
> couple of them. Next up, I'll be asking ideas on cooking it. I may
> have bought one when I was married but that was 30 years ago. I don't
> remember how I cooked it. I must have done a pretty bad job because I
> haven't bought one since. LOL

One butt will make a lot of meals for you. Braise it in beer or apple
juice/cider slice and make a meal to eat with a knife & fork. Shred a
portion for pulled pork sandwiches, shred in bigger chunks and fry
(brown in a skillet) for carnitas. Use the carnitas for lots of SW or
Mexican type things. Cube some to make chili verde and then use those
leftover chili verde to make enchiladas and tamales.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 10:19:21 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 6/15/2014 2:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 6/15/2014 1:45 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> >> Boston Butt Roast $2.99/lb
> >>
> >> The sale at Publix is good through 6/18.
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> > I think I paid about $3.49 for a bone in a couple of weeks ago.

> Thanks, Ed. Yes, these are bone-in. The ad says "all natural" but I'll
> have to read the label to see if "natural" includes anything other than
> the meat. We all know the word natural is meaningless in terms of meat.

The bone is small (kind of a 7 shape) and easily removed after it's
cooked. In fact that's a good way to know when it's cooked through.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 09:45:16 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > On 6/15/2014 1:45 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> >> Boston Butt Roast $2.99/lb
> >>
> >> The sale at Publix is good through 6/18.
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> > I think I paid about $3.49 for a bone in a couple of weeks ago. Last year
> > it was much cheaper. Meat is getting expensive. Price of gas jumped 15
> > cents too thanks to Iraq troubles.

> Yes, it seems like prices are going up daily.

We use premium and have no doubt that we'll be paying $5 a gallon
sooner than later.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 16:51:42 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> I think Arizona Carnitas With Green Chiles will be on the menu this week.

Sounds good to me! Will you be posting pictures?

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2014 12:51 PM, l not -l wrote:
> Pork butt roast is $1.59/lb this week at Schnuck's (dominant regional
> chain); that's half the regular price. I think Arizona Carnitas With Green
> Chiles will be on the menu this week.

Lucky you! No Shnuck's in this area. I shopped at Schnuck's when I
lived in TN.

I've never made carnitas. I've heard them talked about quite a bit here.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2014 12:58 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 10:11:50 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> One butt will make a lot of meals for you. Braise it in beer or apple
> juice/cider slice and make a meal to eat with a knife & fork. Shred a
> portion for pulled pork sandwiches, shred in bigger chunks and fry
> (brown in a skillet) for carnitas. Use the carnitas for lots of SW or
> Mexican type things. Cube some to make chili verde and then use those
> leftover chili verde to make enchiladas and tamales.

Yep, I know one butt will make a lot of meals. You know me, I don't
mind leftovers. That's why I have a separate freezer. I don't run
to the store every week. I tend to make a list and make one big trip,
about once a month.

Thanks for the ideas. One of these days I'll have to try making
carnitas. Pulled pork is fine. The only time I didn't like it was when
it was slathered in BBQ sauce with coleslaw piled on top. LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 13:39:40 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 6/15/2014 12:58 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 10:11:50 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> > One butt will make a lot of meals for you. Braise it in beer or apple
> > juice/cider slice and make a meal to eat with a knife & fork. Shred a
> > portion for pulled pork sandwiches, shred in bigger chunks and fry
> > (brown in a skillet) for carnitas. Use the carnitas for lots of SW or
> > Mexican type things. Cube some to make chili verde and then use those
> > leftover chili verde to make enchiladas and tamales.
> >

> Yep, I know one butt will make a lot of meals. You know me, I don't
> mind leftovers. That's why I have a separate freezer. I don't run
> to the store every week. I tend to make a list and make one big trip,
> about once a month.
>
> Thanks for the ideas. One of these days I'll have to try making
> carnitas. Pulled pork is fine. The only time I didn't like it was when
> it was slathered in BBQ sauce with coleslaw piled on top. LOL

I actually like my pulled pork sandwiches with bbq sauce. I developed
my own recipe that's an amalgam of types and don't use a lot of it.
Cole Slaw is one of those things, I think is fine to buy from the deli
- so that's what I do and yes, I put it in the sandwich. That's the
nice thing about pulled pork sandwiches - you don't have to do it if
you don't want to. Hubby prefers his slaw on the plate and doesn't
use bbq sauce most of the time either.

The biggest thing I've learned since I started cooking whole pork
butts (which has been only two years) is I don't like a "rub" on it.
I prefer to season it the way I'd season my pork chops or pork roast
and braise. The cooked meat freezes beautifully, btw.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2014 2:07 PM, sf wrote:
>> On 6/15/2014 12:58 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 10:11:50 -0400, jmcquown >
>>> wrote:
>>>

>> Thanks for the ideas. One of these days I'll have to try making
>> carnitas. Pulled pork is fine. The only time I didn't like it was when
>> it was slathered in BBQ sauce with coleslaw piled on top. LOL
>>

> I actually like my pulled pork sandwiches with bbq sauce. I developed
> my own recipe that's an amalgam of types and don't use a lot of it.

You may remember, many times whenever they ordered lunch at the office
for meetings (we were lunch meetings meetings all the dang time) it was
catered by Corkey's BBQ. Pulled pork. With cole slaw and some sort of
"hot" pinto beans. I'm convinced they were dished up from an industrial
can and served in trays.

I don't care if the company paid for it. It put me off pulled pork and
"fixin's" for a very long time.

> Cole Slaw is one of those things, I think is fine to buy from the deli
> - so that's what I do and yes, I put it in the sandwich. That's the
> nice thing about pulled pork sandwiches - you don't have to do it if
> you don't want to.

I realize that. I won't be adding cole slaw if I make pulled pork
sandwiches.

Hubby prefers his slaw on the plate and doesn't
> use bbq sauce most of the time either.
>
> The biggest thing I've learned since I started cooking whole pork
> butts (which has been only two years) is I don't like a "rub" on it.
> I prefer to season it the way I'd season my pork chops or pork roast
> and braise. The cooked meat freezes beautifully, btw.

Thanks again for the ideas. I'm thinking crock pot for the long slow
braise.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Pulled pork is fine. The only time I didn't like it was when
> it was slathered in BBQ sauce with coleslaw piled on top. LOL

EH-OH! ;-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 18:10:30 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> On 15-Jun-2014, sf > wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 16:51:42 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
> >
> > > I think Arizona Carnitas With Green Chiles will be on the menu this
> > > week.

> > Sounds good to me! Will you be posting pictures?

> Probably not; I'm not one who takes pictures of people or things.

Darn.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 15, 2014 7:11:50 AM UTC-7, jmcquown wrote:

> I figure I'll buy a
> couple of them. Next up, I'll be asking ideas on cooking it. I may
> have bought one when I was married but that was 30 years ago. I don't
> remember how I cooked it. I must have done a pretty bad job because I
> haven't bought one since. LOL

We make this Sunset recipe quite often, using fresh salsa verde (green
tomatoes, not tomatillos)

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/sals...0000001704044/

Or, if you have a meat grinder, garlic, marjoram, pure salt, and black
pepper, fresh kielbasa (many recipes).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 15:03:43 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Thanks again for the ideas. I'm thinking crock pot for the long slow
> braise.

A crock pot is perfect for that, but I'm not so sure you can fit it in
there if you plan to do a whole one. Hopefully you have a dutch oven
to use as a fall back. Cook on 259-300°, no higher, for 4-6 hours or
until tender and pullable.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 12:20:32 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

> On Sunday, June 15, 2014 7:11:50 AM UTC-7, jmcquown wrote:
>

> > I figure I'll buy a
> > couple of them. Next up, I'll be asking ideas on cooking it. I may
> > have bought one when I was married but that was 30 years ago. I don't
> > remember how I cooked it. I must have done a pretty bad job because I
> > haven't bought one since. LOL
> >

> We make this Sunset recipe quite often, using fresh salsa verde (green
> tomatoes, not tomatillos)

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/sals...0000001704044/

> Or, if you have a meat grinder, garlic, marjoram, pure salt, and black
> pepper, fresh kielbasa (many recipes).

Butt also make a great Mock Porchetta (Zuni Cafe).

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 20:26:19 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> On 15-Jun-2014, sf > wrote:

> > > Probably not; I'm not one who takes pictures of people or things.

> > Darn.

> There is a picture with the recipe on the source website; click on the pic
> to see it enlarged.
> http://www.porkbeinspired.com/Recipe...en_Chiles.aspx

I meant "darn, we won't be able to pick on your photographic
disabilities".

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2014 3:29 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 15:03:43 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>

>> Thanks again for the ideas. I'm thinking crock pot for the long slow
>> braise.
>>

> A crock pot is perfect for that, but I'm not so sure you can fit it in
> there if you plan to do a whole one. Hopefully you have a dutch oven
> to use as a fall back. Cook on 259-300°, no higher, for 4-6 hours or
> until tender and pullable.

I haven't bought it yet so I don't know how big the roast will be. But
yes, I have a very large dutch oven - Descoware flame orange, which was
later bought out (and sells for a much much higher price) by Le Crueset.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 19:17:48 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> yes, I have a very large dutch oven - Descoware flame orange, which was
> later bought out (and sells for a much much higher price) by Le Crueset.
>
> Jill

I don't care what kind of pedigree it has. A no name plain black cast
iron dutch oven from the hardware store will cook just as well.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 6/15/2014 3:29 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 15:03:43 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks again for the ideas. I'm thinking crock pot for the long slow
>>> braise.
>>>

>> A crock pot is perfect for that, but I'm not so sure you can fit it in
>> there if you plan to do a whole one. Hopefully you have a dutch oven
>> to use as a fall back. Cook on 259-300°, no higher, for 4-6 hours or
>> until tender and pullable.
>>

>I haven't bought it yet so I don't know how big the roast will be. But
>yes, I have a very large dutch oven - Descoware flame orange, which was
>later bought out (and sells for a much much higher price) by Le Crueset.
>
>Jill

A whole one is approx. 8 pounds plus or minus. Maybe 10 inches long.
I usually cut one in half and freeze half.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/06/2014 10:28 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 19:17:48 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> yes, I have a very large dutch oven - Descoware flame orange, which was
>> later bought out (and sells for a much much higher price) by Le Crueset.
>>
>> Jill

> I don't care what kind of pedigree it has. A no name plain black cast
> iron dutch oven from the hardware store will cook just as well.

Yebbut! If those brightly colored specimens come from China, or some 3rd
world source, you have no idea what is in those glazes - lead, cadmium
etc., all nasties that will leach into your food.
Graham

Maybe a good deal on a WSM Dave Bugg Barbecue 22 27-04-2008 06:26 AM
Good Deal? J[_3_] Winemaking 3 19-08-2007 06:17 AM
good deal on GF grill Fishy General Cooking 1 10-05-2007 05:17 AM
A Good Deal? [email protected] General Cooking 19 14-01-2005 06:29 PM
A Good Deal? [email protected] General Cooking 0 10-01-2005 10:19 PM